HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#20 | Boston Bruins vs. New York Islanders | Feb 26 | 7:30 PM | L 4-1

Old
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't want him on line 1. I don't think he compliments JT well. I would love to just see a better linemate acquired in trade like, say, a real second line center. A disher/set up guy with speed. The other wing could be Grabs or a similar shooter with speed and defensive smarts. Ideally, a Mike Peca center for Bailey makes him perform best IMHO.
The problem with your suggestion, is that the Islanders are unlikely to sign or trade for a 2nd line center. I would love to see how he compliments Tavares and vice versa.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Strome may be better playing for a team with a different makeup. The Islanders always look so small to me next to other teams. Another under 6' player doesn't help the situation. They need size more then anything.

When did Strome shrink? even when he was drafted as a 17 year old kid he was listed at 6'0" , he's now listed at 6'1". I get that he is not BIG but under 6'0" he is not.

Besides, even if he wasn't 6'0" tall there are dozens of other guys in the organization at 6'0" or smaller that I would look to move before Strome.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Bailey has not had a 20 goal or 20 assist season yet and is putting up less than a 1/2 point a game in his career. When do we stop making excuses for him? He was rushed, he was injured, he has bad line mates, the season is to short, the season is to long.... Excuses are easy, that's why everyone always has one.
IMO, you cannot use points to evaluate a player on a **** team. The team is greater than the sum of its parts. We say it all the time, if JT had a decent winger, he would put up even better numbers.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Say what you want about Finley and Carkner - but they should have played against a team like the Bruins, and Boulton for that matter. Injuries or not!!!
Interesting point.

And I agree. One should enter a game against the good, tough teams with its tougher players. Fact is, the coaching staff should thoroughly expect to lose anyways, so it might as well get the tough guys in the line-up.

Carkner:
He's hardly played, but I thought he was AWFUL. Surprisingly, his first pass wasn't all that bad, but in all other facits of the game, he is far too slow for this league. In addition, his best asset is the BIG hit and fisticuffs, however, we saw him take more big hits than anything he was dishing out. We've seen one 'mehhh' fight from him as well. Then, as usual, he's on the IR.

Wow, I liked his signing in the summer, but what we saw in but a few games tells me he has no business in this league. Actually like Finley better, both as a fighter and defenseman.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:35 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Interesting point.

And I agree. One should enter a game against the good, tough teams with its tougher players. Fact is, the coaching staff should thoroughly expect to lose anyways, so it might as well get the tough guys in the line-up.

Carkner:
He's hardly played, but I thought he was AWFUL. Surprisingly, his first pass wasn't all that bad, but in all other facits of the game, he is far too slow for this league. In addition, his best asset is the BIG hit and fisticuffs, however, we saw him take more big hits than anything he was dishing out. We've seen one 'mehhh' fight from him as well. Then, as usual, he's on the IR.

Wow, I liked his signing in the summer, but what we saw in but a few games tells me he has no business in this league. Actually like Finley better, both as a fighter and defenseman.
Carkner is injured so he isn't playing anytime soon.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Interesting point.

Carkner:

hm...I hated the signing in the summer, especially the two year deal, and I was hoping he'd be a #7-8 tops, playing ONLY against big, though teams or as a depth dman. I never liked his game in Ottawa and I hoped for Eric Cairns at his absolute peak, but expected much less. And given that expectation, Carkner was better than I expected, especially that first pass you speak of.

It's a symptom of a bad hockey team, big players that can't play and small players that can't play.

Better teams typically have "good players" who are EITHER big or small/fast.
Our players seem to be average-to-poor (hence the waivers) having EITHER size or speed and limited talent. I won't name names - but Carkner is one of them.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
hm...I hated the signing in the summer, especially the two year deal, and I was hoping he'd be a #7-8 tops, playing ONLY against big, though teams or as a depth dman. I never liked his game in Ottawa and I hoped for Eric Cairns at his absolute peak, but expected much less.
I wish Snow had been seeing the same thing you had been.

I mean I've really been surprised at how not NHL-capable this guy has looked in an NHL uniform. Not looking forward to his return to the line-up, which will obviously eventually come, even if only to make use of the money being to paid to him.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote