HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Blues0307

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
The asylum is obsessed with Tavon Austin.

I cannot understand why for the life of me people would rather take a guy who will be like Devin Hester or Darren Sproles over a guy like Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter.
I actually like Austin. Has great burst and lateral movement. I feel like he'd help our team a lot.

Not a fan of Hunter. Watched him all season hoping he was gonna a player to watch for the draft and was never impressed. Didn't have good hands and was invisible much of the time. He definitely has the measurables though.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
I'm kind of lukewarm on Hunter. I don't think he was invisible as much as Cordarelle Patterson just blew up.

The guy I really want is Allen.

As we get closer to the draft, my gut feeling says that if we stay at our current picks and don't trade down, the Rams will draft two of the following three:

Johnathon Cooper, G/C from North Carolina
Kenny Vaccaro, S from Texas
Keenan Allen, WR from California.

Cooper makes a lot of sense because he can play center and I don't know how much you can count on Scott Wells.

Vaccaro is the best safety and safety is arguably the Rams' biggest need.

Allen is the WR that used to be a safety. He attacks the football in the air, similar to Anquan Boldin. I really really think he'll pay off.

As far as Tavon Austin goes, I'm down on him for a few reasons.

1. He's never played anything close to a real defense. He played in the Big East and the Big XII, aka the Big "Bet the Over".

2. He's tiny. Yeah he's fast, but no, he's not going to outmaneuver everyone and avoid hits. He isn't an every down player and should not be taken in the first.

Just my opinion.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Blues0307

I like Allen as well. I just worry about his knee injury.

For me, when I look at WR's for the Rams, I think speed/burst is a big deal. We lack team speed and it's one of the reasons for our bad play the last 10 years. The guy I really want the Rams to take at WR is Markus Wheaton. He has elite burst, good hands, and runs good routes. We could grab him in the 2nd round.

Getting Cooper would be a great pick.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Alklha, you had pretty good information about the Rams draft last year, are you hearing anything about this draft?

After the combine, trading up seems to be much more in play. You'd think the Rams have to be high on guys like Jonathan Cooper and Lane Johnson, and we probably won't be able to get either at 16, especially Johnson.
Still very early, most of what I've heard so far is pretty predictable. We like Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack & Jonathan Cooper, only expect Cooper & Vaccaro to be available at 16. Hopeful we can take both at 16 & 22.

This is where it gets a little strange for me... Tavon Austin is the highest rated WR on our board apparently, ahead of Patterson. If the draft was tomorrow and both were on the board at 22, it wouldn't be a lock that we'd take either one though.

Then we have Alec Ogletree. We really liked him before what happened, now it is up in the air. No chance at 22, I doubt he's still on the board at 46. Things might change in the coming weeks, but they'll certainly talk.

If Ogletree was to fall to 46, there is a good chance we don't take a WR until the third round. I have a few names in a Skype conversation that we are interested in for the later rounds, I'll look them out and post tomorrow.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Still very early, most of what I've heard so far is pretty predictable. We like Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack & Jonathan Cooper, only expect Cooper & Vaccaro to be available at 16. Hopeful we can take both at 16 & 22.

This is where it gets a little strange for me... Tavon Austin is the highest rated WR on our board apparently, ahead of Patterson. If the draft was tomorrow and both were on the board at 22, it wouldn't be a lock that we'd take either one though.

Then we have Alec Ogletree. We really liked him before what happened, now it is up in the air. No chance at 22, I doubt he's still on the board at 46. Things might change in the coming weeks, but they'll certainly talk.

If Ogletree was to fall to 46, there is a good chance we don't take a WR until the third round. I have a few names in a Skype conversation that we are interested in for the later rounds, I'll look them out and post tomorrow.
Not questioning any of what you are saying, but are you connected to the team or do you have a friend who is?

Don't mean that to sound snarky, I'm genuinely asking. Pretty cool if you are.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

Any talk of tight ends? Personally high on Escobar. Kendricks is improving every year, but I think a mismatch tight end would help. Also, is Hopkins on their radar at WR? Thanks

Old
03-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Not questioning any of what you are saying, but are you connected to the team or do you have a friend who is?

Don't mean that to sound snarky, I'm genuinely asking. Pretty cool if you are.
A friend is involved with the team. He has been pretty good with information over the last few drafts, but everything is so fluid it is tough to know what is still current. Last year he was insistant that we we wouldn't let Jenkins fall past 39. Went as far to say for the most part we couldn't split Claiborne and Jenkins, but if anything had an edge for Jenkins. 2011 he was good with our later round stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Any talk of tight ends? Personally high on Escobar. Kendricks is improving every year, but I think a mismatch tight end would help. Also, is Hopkins on their radar at WR? Thanks
The only TE that has been mentioned is Travis Kelce. Seen as unlikely that he will fall far enough for us to consider him. We like his complete game, but see him as a project and combined with apparent character issues a lot will rely on his interview. I haven't heard anything about that.

Hopkins is on our list, but only been mentioned in passing. He is too likely to go between #22 and our second that the only real chance we get him is if we trade down from #22. Wouldn't be surprised if we did move down from #22 though. Right now it seems like the guys we really like in the first could be gone at that point.

I'll probably speak to him again before the end of next week, and I'll post what he says.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Surefire bet is if I want a player, we won't get him (with the exception of Robert Quinn) lol

Any word on safeties?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Surefire bet is if I want a player, we won't get him (with the exception of Robert Quinn) lol

Any word on safeties?
Vaccaro is one of the players we are really targeting in the first round, depending who is still on the board, there is a decent chance we take him at 16. If he and Jonathan Cooper were available at 16, we don't know who we would take at this point.

Also have spent a little more time looking at Shawn Williams and Brandan Bishop. I can't say I know much about either.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Blues0307

Great info, Alklha. I really like Cooper, Fisher, Warmack, Austin, Ogletree, and Johnson. Not a big fan of Vacarro in the 1st though. Don't see great speed or great athleticism. He's probably high on our board because of his ability to cover the slot. The other players we're high on should be game-changing players.

My thought at this time is that the Rams will target Lane Johnson and try to trade up to get him by offering #16 with our 2nd rounder. Then we'll trade back from #22 to a QB-needy team and recoup a 2nd back in the process. If we can't get Lane Johnson, I'm wondering if Cooper may be the pick. Really looking forward to how this all plays out.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

My dream draft:

1a. Kenny Vaccaro, S
1b. Keenan Allen, WR
2. Kyle Long, OT
3. David Quessenberger, G/C
4. Zaviar Gooden, OLB

Would be a heck of a start IMO

Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
My dream draft:

1a. Kenny Vaccaro, S
1b. Keenan Allen, WR
2. Kyle Long, OT
3. David Quessenberger, G/C
4. Zaviar Gooden, OLB

Would be a heck of a start IMO

Sign TE Cook

16- Austin
22- Lacey
46- Long

Old
03-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Dream offseason:

-Let Amendola and Gibson go
-Re-work Laurinaitis' and Mikell's contract
-Sign Phil Loadholt-RT
-Sign Jared Cook-TE
-Re-sign William Hayes

Draft:
16: Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper-LG
-A big mauling LG is an absolute must for 2013. Way too many people want to hand the job to Watkins. Horrible idea. Get a potential all-pro at the position and make Bradford and Pead/Richardson's jobs easier.

22: Keenan Allen or Tavon Austin-WR
-We need a big play WR. These are two different WRs but both have big play potential and both have sure hands. I want either one. Whichever is still available will do. Hopefully one is still there. The backup would be Alec Ogletree.

2nd round: Baccari Rambo-FS
-We have no free safety for 2013 right now. Dahl is gone. Rambo is a true playmaker and could be an pro-bowler in the NFL. Hopefully he stays away from the drugs.

3rd round: Da'Rick Rogers or Stedman Bailey-WR
-I think with the abundance of quality WRs, a good one will be the BPA here. A safety could be as well but we would need a SS, not a FS. Rogers' skillset would go well with Tavon Austin while Bailey would go well with Keenan Allen.

4th round: Chris Faulk-RT
-Faulk was getting 1st round consideration before blowing out his knee. With Loadholt in place, Faulk has plenty of time to get up to speed. You can never have enough quality tackles.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Dream offseason:

-Let Amendola and Gibson go
-Re-work Laurinaitis' and Mikell's contract
-Sign Phil Loadholt-RT
-Sign Jared Cook-TE
-Re-sign William Hayes

Draft:
16: Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper-LG
-A big mauling LG is an absolute must for 2013. Way too many people want to hand the job to Watkins. Horrible idea. Get a potential all-pro at the position and make Bradford and Pead/Richardson's jobs easier.

22: Keenan Allen or Tavon Austin-WR
-We need a big play WR. These are two different WRs but both have big play potential and both have sure hands. I want either one. Whichever is still available will do. Hopefully one is still there. The backup would be Alec Ogletree.

2nd round: Baccari Rambo-FS
-We have no free safety for 2013 right now. Dahl is gone. Rambo is a true playmaker and could be an pro-bowler in the NFL. Hopefully he stays away from the drugs.

3rd round: Da'Rick Rogers or Stedman Bailey-WR
-I think with the abundance of quality WRs, a good one will be the BPA here. A safety could be as well but we would need a SS, not a FS. Rogers' skillset would go well with Tavon Austin while Bailey would go well with Keenan Allen.

4th round: Chris Faulk-RT
-Faulk was getting 1st round consideration before blowing out his knee. With Loadholt in place, Faulk has plenty of time to get up to speed. You can never have enough quality tackles.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:42 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
If the wide receivers are Bailey and Austin, I too don't hate this scenario.

Also, great work on the updates Alklha. Thank you and please keep them coming

Old
03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Sign TE Cook

16- Austin
22- Lacey

46- Long
Haha, the two players I want the least from this draft.

I do like the idea of signing Jared Cook though.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

The Saint Louis Billikens have won the Atlantic 10 Conference, first league championship since 1971. Coach Majerus would be very proud of this team.

Meanwhile, Mizzou struggling on the road....again. Don't see how they are going to do anything in the NCAA tournament.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Well once again our division is getting tougher, excited to see what the Rams plan to do

Old
03-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Well once again our division is getting tougher, excited to see what the Rams plan to do
Getting Amendola back would be huge. I can totally understand why the Rams are hesitant on paying him, but our offense goes to **** without him.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Getting Amendola back would be huge. I can totally understand why the Rams are hesitant on paying him, but our offense goes to **** without him.
I disagree. It's a whole new era here for the Rams with GM Snead and Coach Fisher who for now still have to play in the dreadful dome.

Often Injured repeat, often injured Amendola? Let him go. See a trend here? afer all the cuts/voids, the Rams still don't have cap room, about 13 Million. C'mon be realistic, the Rams are still in a serious rebuilding mode, now needing 2 safeties, Guard, Tackles, a receiving TE, WIDE RECEIVER... Building thru the draft, yeah, what a concept.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 03-12-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Lot of chatter about the Rams being the favorites to land Jake Long.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:20 AM
diehardbluesfan

Yeah, it sounds like the Rams or Bears will land Long. Zach McCrite (@BigEZ) from 101 ESPN had a tweet earlier this evening:

Quote:
I'm told #Rams are after a big name and if all sides agree, there "may be a significant deal" by Wednesday. Make of it what you will.
He wouldn't really go into a detail with anybody, but I guess he is maybe talking about Long.

The more I think about it, Seattle paid a very steep price for Harvin who is injury prone and has character issues. They gave up three draft picks (1st this year, 7th this year, and a mid round pick next year) and going to sign him to a new contract where he is going to want at least $12M per year which he isn't worth IMO. The Seahags did add a deadly weapon to their offense that could cause trouble for the Rams as long as he stays healthy.

Last time I checked though you don't win super bowls in March and you don't win games on paper. And we split with the sea hags, tied at SF which if not for STUPID mistakes we win that game, and beat them in STL which we contained Kapernick well besides his run late in the game.

I have faith in Snead/Fisher and expect them to continue to improve this roster. Also, don't be surprised if Harvey Dahl is cut. His play dropped off this year and is due a nice chunk of change of money.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Lot of chatter about the Rams being the favorites to land Jake Long.
I Would rather see them sign Loadhut.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I Would rather see them sign Loadhut.
I assume you mean Loadholt right?

I like him as well. It depends on how active Rams will be. If signing Loadholt instead of Long means they get Jared Cook, then yeah.

If the plan is only one big FA, then get the best OT available.

Just my opinion.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
I assume you mean Loadholt right?

I like him as well. It depends on how active Rams will be. If signing Loadholt instead of Long means they get Jared Cook, then yeah.

If the plan is only one big FA, then get the best OT available.

Just my opinion.
Yes, sorry about that.

Throw TE Keller as well as a alternative. He knows OC Shotty's offense . Cook has been a enigma who Fisher knows well.

Closed Thread