HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Drive for Ninth Is ON!! Two in a Row

Old
03-01-2013, 03:24 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
The good part about Miller's night is that despite the fact that he was fighting the puck on most shots, he still saved 40 out of 43 shots. You'd take that every time, let alone when he's seemingly having a difficult time out there.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:39 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You're being sympathetic jflo. Minimal change in direction from whatever he hit, and he was fairly deep relative to where the shot came from.

Those goals eat at me as a defenseman. I am sure you're seeing it from the goalie's eyes, though, just as I am from the dmans
The details don't matter. As far as I'm concerned, short side vs far side is the same difference from the blue line. I'm more angry if the goalie is off to either side and it went into nearer the middle of the netting than a shot that hits a corner. Short-side tends to look worse because it's closer to the center when it hits the netting due to the angle it comes in on, but it's really no different in the end. From the angles you're facing on blue line shots, you need to be square as possible.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
How terrible would you feel if it was a Make A Wish ordeal?
Well, if that had been the case, then she should've worn a giant MAKE-A-WISH t-shirt so we're all on the same page, because if she was ill and this was her wish, the whole thing woulda brought a tear to my eye.

Instead, I wanted to vomit. She was TERRIBLE! She should be limited to family birthday parties, PERIOD. She shoulda had to pay DOUBLE the ticket price just to get in last night. TRIPLE, maybe. Was she the GM's daughter? The owner's? Maybe the Panthers shoulda taken a page outa Tampa's book and just played the damn music!

Wait, I know: She was DEAF!

Now I feel terrible.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 03-01-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Stafford... The Rockefeller Skank

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:33 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
You're being sympathetic jflo. Minimal change in direction from whatever he hit, and he was fairly deep relative to where the shot came from.

Those goals eat at me as a defenseman. I am sure you're seeing it from the goalie's eyes, though, just as I am from the dmans
Ehh, maybe a matter of perspective. I'm not sure what Miller was supposed to do about the first. The second he should have stopped. The third was a deflected screen shot that he did not see, and would have gone wide if not for the deflection. I blame the D on that one more than Miller.

In addition, he saved a number of quality chances tonight, and his rebound control was mostly very good.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
wunderpanda

good- a win is a win- even when we should have lost
-Miller, Gerbe, Ott

bad-allowing 43 shots says alot about the defense this team plays

ugly-faceoffs in defensive zone

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Zip15

Bad:

NHL.com STILL has Hecht-Porter-Stafford as the forwards on the ice for Florida's second goal. I've watched it about ten times and the five were clearly Regehr-Sekera-Vanek-Hodgson-Poms. Basic things like this remind me of why it's such a poor league.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
RattleYourSabre

Good:
-The four feet 3 inch monster Gerbe had a big night! Hustle pays off!
-Otter with 3 points (all in the first period)
-Vanek, Pommer shootout goals
-Ron friggin' Rolston
-Foligno being scratched. Accountability is a must!

Bad:
-That first call on Pardy. That wasn't even close to a penalty. Oh well.

Ugly:
-Was the arena open for fans to come in and watch a hockey game?

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Game wasn't that bad when you consider Juliette being the opening act. That right there is why parents should NOT tell their kids that they can be anything when they grow up. She even has the one name moniker already.
G:

- Gerbe played well. Good to see.
- Line combos worked well.
- Rolston's got the team playing faster.
- Ehrhoff is a rock on the back end. A lot of others owe him for cleaning up their mistakes.
- Shootout. Business-like and well done.
- Buffalo is the best team in the league when it comes to elementary school kids singing the National Anthem.

B:

- Myers still making poor decisions. He's getting better and fighting through it, so that's at least encouraging.
- Stafford. He's skating hard and playing defense, so effort wasn't his deal last night. But he's being paid to score.

U:

- End of the third and overtime. Florida really pressed the play and Buffalo sat back.
- What, exactly, is Grigorenko learning from his five minutes each game playing with average wingers on the 4th line?
- The Panthers for letting that little girl sing. Not her fault. She's just a kid. But the Panthers should know better.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Curious - when Soupy scored, which of the following did you scream?

- YES!!!!
- ****!!!
- typical
- of course
- C'MON MILLER
- ****ing Hodgson, couldn't have lost a cleaner draw!
I remember what I was thinking prior to the draw. I was thinking about the Drury goal '07 Game 5 vs. the Rangers. I was thinking that Campbell's been here before, and he probably truly believes in his heart that Florida was going to score and tie it up.

Buffalo could really use a guy like that right now.

Last edited by Der Jaeger: 03-01-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Zip15

Bad:

-Though we won both games, we were outshot by two non-playoff teams by an aggregate count of 74-46. Not going to survive too long like that.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:31 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Only caught the highlights but looked like a good game, great first period. I like the fact that this team is starting to bounceback from losing leads, but next we need to learn how to defend them. Still I'm happy with gradual improvement, as long as there is some improvement.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Bad:

-Though we won both games, we were outshot by two non-playoff teams by an aggregate count of 74-46. Not going to survive too long like that.
That's why I'm not too worried about this team getting to ninth place. They're clearly an inferior team compared to past teams. The Sabres at least played adequate hockey during the march to ninth in previous years. They're just relying on Miller now. It'll all even out in the end, and this team will be picking top 5. Possibly top 3.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Hal2000

Oh come on, yeah they outshot us but there were at least 15 shots from the blue line or half-boards with no screen. Im fine with the team giving up those shots. Pretty easy night for miller...florida had very few good chances. Same as tampa game. Watch the game not the scoresheet and stats

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
That's why I'm not too worried about this team getting to ninth place. They're clearly an inferior team compared to past teams. The Sabres at least played adequate hockey during the march to ninth in previous years. They're just relying on Miller now. It'll all even out in the end, and this team will be picking top 5. Possibly top 3.
Just imagine what happens with the possibility of Miller getting fatigued or worse. This team has put on a clinic in bad hockey already, just imagine it without Miller in net.

03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
Oh come on, yeah they outshot us but there were at least 15 shots from the blue line or half-boards with no screen. Im fine with the team giving up those shots. Pretty easy night for miller...florida had very few good chances. Same as tampa game. Watch the game not the scoresheet and stats
Florida had plenty of scoring opportunities. So did Tampa. Getting outshot by 28 shots in two games is a bad thing.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Florida had plenty of scoring opportunities. So did Tampa. Getting outshot by 28 shots in two games is a bad thing.
As long as Miller can see the shots. I'd take 40 easy shots than 20 tough/screened ones. I'm pretty sure Miller would too. I don't disagree though, either way limiting the shots is a good way of limiting scoring chances.

Disclaimer: I didn't see enough of the game to know if they were tough shots or easy ones.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Are we really picking on Pardy's game?

I thought it was fine. 2 penalties were bogus. The last one where it speared the guy was a bit bad but do you blame him after taking two shots to the back of the head?

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Well Gerbe seemed like the candidate until today.

Could be either Stafford, Grigorenko (and the HF fury that would ensue), or Scott. My bets are on the last two.

Or it is entire plausible that he sits Foligno out for another game.
I wonder if Rolston puts Foligno back in the lineup but on the 4th line (Scott takes a seat). Then its on Foligno to try to work his way back up.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just imagine what happens with the possibility of Miller getting fatigued or worse. This team has put on a clinic in bad hockey already, just imagine it without Miller in net.
I'd imagine the team goes into a trap system, there's no way we could play the way we're playing now without Miller. If Enroth is in goal for these games, oh boy..

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
If Enroth is in goal for these games, oh boy..
Speaking of Enroth, he's probably got to get in one of these games this weekend.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I wonder if Rolston puts Foligno back in the lineup but on the 4th line (Scott takes a seat). Then its on Foligno to try to work his way back up.
Seems to be his method of choice.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Anyone against using a line like hecht-porter-Kaleta as a fourth line? Porter and Kaleta can do some damage forechecking together with their speed and physicality whilst Hecht can just be Hecht and put Foligno-Grig-sTafford as a line I think this would be our best bet for now as a team.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
slip

Going from the second worst team in the league to the third worst team in the league is a feat in itself for this squad. A month from now they might look back at this mini streak and reminisce about the good times.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I'd imagine the team goes into a trap system, there's no way we could play the way we're playing now without Miller. If Enroth is in goal for these games, oh boy..
"Play Enroth for McKinnon" chants?

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote