HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
If the Avs draft outside of the top-5, based on Pracey's history and love for hard-working, character, Canadian Junior players, Monahan or Shinkaruk will be who they pick.
Monahan is too big

Old
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I can see why people like De la Rose. He has a great frame and is a very tough player to knock off the puck. I think he is pretty raw in the other aspects of his game, but I can see why people think he is a high 2nd rounder.

Also I was talking to our LHJMQ scout today & yesterday and he said that Gauthier is a better player than Mantha. When Mantha doesn't score he looks invisible, Gauthier is a great two-way player that reminds him of a hybrid of Toews/Jordan Staal. He also did tell that when Mantha sucks, Val'D-Or sucks so he is that important to his club.

Also guys for a second round selection, Laurent Dauphin is a perfect player for us. He is a very hard worker and goes to the dirty areas, he reminds me a LOT of Ryan O'Reilly, but has better offensive potential (in terms of when ROR was a junior as well). Won't be as good defensively compared to him or Danult, but still a solid two-way player.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I can see why people like De la Rose. He has a great frame and is a very tough player to knock off the puck. I think he is pretty raw in the other aspects of his game, but I can see why people think he is a high 2nd rounder.

Also I was talking to our LHJMQ scout today & yesterday and he said that Gauthier is a better player than Mantha. When Mantha doesn't score he looks invisible, Gauthier is a great two-way player that reminds him of a hybrid of Toews/Jordan Staal. He also did tell that when Mantha sucks, Val'D-Or sucks so he is that important to his club.

Also guys for a second round selection, Laurent Dauphin is a perfect player for us. He is a very hard worker and goes to the dirty areas, he reminds me a LOT of Ryan O'Reilly, but has better offensive potential (in terms of when ROR was a junior as well). Won't be as good defensively compared to him or Danult, but still a solid two-way player.
The more I watch Gauthier, the more I am impressed. From what I have seen recently people expect him to be in the 15-20 range, I think he will sneak into the 8-12 range and end up being a really solid pick. For who I want the Avs to pick I would easily put Gauthier in my top 10.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Another swede is what we need!

Old
02-27-2013, 03:32 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
If the Avs draft outside of the top-5, based on Pracey's history and love for hard-working, character, Canadian Junior players, Monahan or Shinkaruk will be who they pick.
shinkaruk to a tee, but i think we finish low enough that we take top 5.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I really hope we get a 1st from ROR in whatever trade we make. This draft just seems so good.

With the way its shaping up, our pick will likely be in the 4-8 range, possibly even as high as Top 3.

If we can get say a WPG/FLO/TOR 1st from one of those guys ,we could likely end up with 2 Top 15 picks. A lot of talented players in the Top 15. Would certainly help soften the blow of losing ROR.

Trouba + 1st from WPG for ROR would be something I'd be fine with.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Trouba + 1st from WPG for ROR would be something I'd be fine with.
Unfortunately, I doubt the Jets would be fine with that.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:54 AM
MikeC

Quote:

I have seen both players play live a few times.

Gauthier is great caracter player, see the ice well, works hard. The kind of kid a coach loves. He wants to learn, he wants to get better. first one at the practive and last one out.

The part that I do not like about his game is that he is 6'5'' 210 and he is not physical at all. I would not say that he is soft but he does not know have a mean side.

Mantha....just wow and wow and wow....when he wants it.

One of the game that i saw him play, he was a top 5 for sure. Using his size, working hard, putting the puck into the net.

The other game he was invisible. I see some Wolsky in him. Great talent but how bad does he want it? I would not take the risk to pick him in the top 20.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I have seen both players play live a few times.

Gauthier is great caracter player, see the ice well, works hard. The kind of kid a coach loves. He wants to learn, he wants to get better. first one at the practive and last one out.

The part that I do not like about his game is that he is 6'5'' 210 and he is not physical at all. I would not say that he is soft but he does not know have a mean side.

Mantha....just wow and wow and wow....when he wants it.

One of the game that i saw him play, he was a top 5 for sure. Using his size, working hard, putting the puck into the net.

The other game he was invisible. I see some Wolsky in him. Great talent but how bad does he want it? I would not take the risk to pick him in the top 20.
Awesome report Mike! I was talking to some other LHJMQ followers and they think Mantha could get his act together and become a James Neal type of player, do you ever see his act coming together or will he be Wolski-ish throughout this career?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Awesome report Mike! I was talking to some other LHJMQ followers and they think Mantha could get his act together and become a James Neal type of player, do you ever see his act coming together or will he be Wolski-ish throughout this career?
I would love to give you an answer but I Cant.

One thing that i like about Gauthier is that even he has 0 points in a game, he will still have an impact on the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:

One thing that i like about Gauthier is that even he has 0 points in a game, he will still have an impact on the game.
He'd fit right in here, then. Having zero points in a game isn't all that uncommon.

02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

Yep. I think that Gauthier will be at worst be a #3C, a not as physical Hanzal sort of player. His high end is through the roof IMO (could be a top 5 player in this draft).

Old
03-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
With O'reilly, EJ, and Wilson coming back in the near future, I think it's safe to say the tank is off.

I see us ending with the 8-12th pick now.

Pulock? Zadorov? Nurse?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
With O'reilly, EJ, and Wilson coming back in the near future, I think it's safe to say the tank is off.

Pulock? Zadorov? Nurse?
Trade it for an offer sheet!

Old
03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:

Pulock? Zadorov? Nurse?

Alexander Wennberg with the 8-12th pick, I believe could be major steal of the first round.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:47 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
Alexander Wennberg with the 8-12th pick, I believe could be major steal of the first round.

Finally not just me talking about him. Have watched him over 50 games this season. He is great. I'm in love with him.

Hopefully the Avs can have a word with Landeskog about him.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:

Pulock? Zadorov? Nurse?
Adam Erne or bust.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:56 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Wouldn't mind the Avs taking Robert Hagg. This is actually looking like a crazy deep draft in terms of talent. If the Avs miss out on the playoffs I think they are going to be in a very good position to pick up a very, very good player.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:00 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Wouldn't mind the Avs taking Robert Hagg. This is actually looking like a crazy deep draft in terms of talent. If the Avs miss out on the playoffs I think they are going to be in a very good position to pick up a very, very good player.
I like Hägg more than I like De la Rose and Burakowsky. That's for sure.

I dont know much about the north american player but I have the swedes very well scouted this year.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:44 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Basing this if we get the 10th overall pick, my list,

Players drafted, top 4/Lindholm/Monahan/Shinkaruk/Pulock/Nichushkin

*Note: if Nichuskin is available here, he is my first selection*

1. Adam Erne, RW [Amazing player that can beat you with speed or toughness, Bobby Ryan qualities to his game]
2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D [Solid two-way defenseman that can play all situations]
3. Josh Morrissey, D [I love this kid, picture a less talented version of Ryan Murray, but more physical]
4. Max Domi, C [This kid has some of the sickest hands in the draft and brings his father's compete and pest level]
5. Kerby Rychel, C [Fantastic two-way player who has captain material and good skill set]

HM: Nikita Zadorov, D [A beast of defensive-defenseman]
HM: Frederik Gauthier, C [Jordan Staal type of game, but less physical]

Quote:
If we are around the 15th pick, I totally agree! He was hella impressive at the WJC's and seems like a very underrated prospect.

E: Who is this Wennberg guy? I watched like one of his games, but seems too small for NHL to be a first round selection.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

If it's not a top 7-8 pick, package it with Staz on draft day and get something good.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
This guy is not first round material. "Trust me"

Old
03-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Basing this if we get the 10th overall pick, my list,

Players drafted, top 4/Lindholm/Monahan/Shinkaruk/Pulock/Nichushkin

*Note: if Nichuskin is available here, he is my first selection*

1. Adam Erne, RW [Amazing player that can beat you with speed or toughness, Bobby Ryan qualities to his game]
2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D [Solid two-way defenseman that can play all situations]
3. Josh Morrissey, D [I love this kid, picture a less talented version of Ryan Murray, but more physical]
4. Max Domi, C [This kid has some of the sickest hands in the draft and brings his father's compete and pest level]
5. Kerby Rychel, C [Fantastic two-way player who has captain material and good skill set]

HM: Nikita Zadorov, D [A beast of defensive-defenseman]
HM: Frederik Gauthier, C [Jordan Staal type of game, but less physical]

If we are around the 15th pick, I totally agree! He was hella impressive at the WJC's and seems like a very underrated prospect.

E: Who is this Wennberg guy? I watched like one of his games, but seems too small for NHL to be a first round selection.
He's almost 6'2.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
He's almost 6'2.
How much does he weigh? And how about adding a scouting report next time as well.

And sorry I was using this site http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

And it shows him as 5'11" 157, lol.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
If it's not a top 7-8 pick, package it with Staz on draft day and get something good.
Or if we end up having to trade Staz, trade them separate and get 2 something goods? Jones and our surplus of 5/7 Dmen, can be added to the two main pieces.

Closed Thread