HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is MaxPac the second best pick in the 2007 draft?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He is very good. A little one dimensional but that's fine. He's a pure sniper.

He's all about goals. If he starts averaging 40 goals with some consistently, he'd be a star forward. One season at 30 goals doesn't make him a star.

He definitely has star potential, remains to be seen if he can fulfill it. I think if we team him with Galchenyuk, they could be deadly together.
I agree with the first statement. He is a goal guy. every team needs one. he scores goals, that's what he does. Put the puck on his stick, and he will give a wicked release.

However this year, his assist skills have really shined. I don't want to go pull up stats, but when he wasn't scoring at the start of this year, he was assisting like childrens help phone.

Put him with galchenyuk? I like that it's interesting. What I have liked from galchenyuk in recent games is his attempts to dangle. We need someone who can dangle, Datsyuk like. And he shows early signs of that. Galchenyuk can get the puck to someones stick in un-likely situations, that being said. A dangler/shooter with a thourough bred shooter (patcioretty) would be dangerous.

At the end of the day though. I think you will see patcioretty emerge as a star of the nhl in the next year or two.

Habbybirthday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:09 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Since 2011-2012, only 15 players have scored more goals than Max

Not bad at all

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:39 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
I agree with the first statement. He is a goal guy. every team needs one. he scores goals, that's what he does. Put the puck on his stick, and he will give a wicked release.

However this year, his assist skills have really shined. I don't want to go pull up stats, but when he wasn't scoring at the start of this year, he was assisting like childrens help phone.

Put him with galchenyuk? I like that it's interesting. What I have liked from galchenyuk in recent games is his attempts to dangle. We need someone who can dangle, Datsyuk like. And he shows early signs of that. Galchenyuk can get the puck to someones stick in un-likely situations, that being said. A dangler/shooter with a thourough bred shooter (patcioretty) would be dangerous.

At the end of the day though. I think you will see patcioretty emerge as a star of the nhl in the next year or two.
not bad.

You're absolutely right though. Patches is out goal scorer, we don't need him to be anything else. Anything more from him is a bonus. He is a pretty good playmaker but his bread and butter is north-south speed, great shot.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:46 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
not bad.

You're absolutely right though. Patches is out goal scorer, we don't need him to be anything else. Anything more from him is a bonus. He is a pretty good playmaker but his bread and butter is north-south speed, great shot.
Indeed.

And just like someone mentioned just before, him playing with Galchenyuk is very interesting. Great passing, great shooting, great speed, great dangling... this duo has everything. Could be entertaining for a long time!

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Since 2011-2012, only 15 players have scored more goals than Max

Not bad at all
Actually only 14...

If he stays hot, top 10 is possible very soon.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Max is not a star player and he's behind Price and Subban. He'll probably also be behind Galchenyuk once he develops as well.

Max is a legit first line player who goes to the net. He's great at what he does but calling him a star player is a stretch.
I don't usually agree with you but this time I do. Max scores two goals in one game and all of a sudden he's the 2nd best player from his draft and the next coming of John Leclair. Patches has a lot holes in his game. For one he has got to be one of the worse passers on this team and defensively he's no hot shot.

I really like Patches and what he does well but I'm not blind to the things he doesn't do well. For me right now Patches is behind Price, Subban, Chuckles and maybe even Gally.

Of the young players on this team when it comes to value I would place him on par with DD. And those two complement each other very well.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Nicko999

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't usually agree with you but this time I do. Max scores two goals in one game and all of a sudden he's the 2nd best player from his draft and the next coming of John Leclair. Patches has a lot holes in his game. For one he has got to be one of the worse passers on this team and defensively he's no hot shot.

I really like Patches and what he does well but I'm not blind to the things he doesn't do well. For me right now Patches is behind Price, Subban, Chuckles and maybe even Gally.

Of the young players on this team when it comes to value I would place him on par with DD. And those two complement each other very well.

FYI: He's such a horrible passer that he leads all forwards in assists.

Last edited by Nicko999: 03-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Give me a break...maybe down the road those two are going to surpass him but when they hit 30+ goals or 65 points or produce at a PPG clip, then we can have a discussion.

Totally hypocritical to drop Patches down a notch because "defensively he's no hot shot" and then say he's behind two rookies who (understandably) struggle mightily in their own zone.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:

... You know Patches was known as a passer before two years ago ? He's a great passer and one of our only winger that can pass it. Sure he's no Tanguay but he's still really able to thread a needle to a teammate. How is Gally ahead of him... This is just ridiculous, I love the kid but seriously?... He's a good player.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
The Doors

Pacioretty is awesome. If he wasn't a Hab, more people would give him credit for that.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Pacioretty is awesome. If he wasn't a Hab, more people would give him credit for that.
It's very true. If he played for say Colorado.. and was up on the trading block.. Hab fans would be going nuts "Trade P.K. for patcioretty! we need a big, physical, star, goal scoring forward!!"

Because Colorado would have already recognized him as a star.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Dharvey33

What i like about paciorretty is his ability to score goals that require intelligence and skill to score. the shot he made on Scrivens he knew Scrivens has a weakness with his glove arm and banked on it. It required the skill to do so and he have it.

Right now only Ryder has a more wicked shot than Paciorretty and that's because Ryder has a laser.

Probably the 3rd most valuable asset on the team wouldn't trade him for nothing more than the top 5 in the league in a package and still.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Totally hypocritical to drop Patches down a notch because "defensively he's no hot shot" and then say he's behind two rookies who (understandably) struggle mightily in their own zone.
So i guess Chuckles & Gally 3rd & 1st in +/- is the NHL stats just being hypocritical.

you may not want to admit it because you're overhyping Patches but he has huge holes in his game. I agree with lafleurs Guy, Patches is a very good 1st liner but he's not a star - not yet anyway. And i don't think he'll ever be the star of this team. The 4 players I mentioned will always be ahead of him.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

FYI: He's such a horrible passer that he leads all forwards in assists.
He's not a bad passer to begin with, forget the assists total. He looks to shoot more at this stage of his career, but when he was breaking into this league, he was much more of a passer, and showed a very good ability to pick up the late man in a transitional rush, and put it on his tape. He's not the best defensive player, I can agree with that.

But what he described sounded more like Cole rather than pacioretty.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
... You know Patches was known as a passer before two years ago ? He's a great passer and one of our only winger that can pass it. Sure he's no Tanguay but he's still really able to thread a needle to a teammate. How is Gally ahead of him... This is just ridiculous, I love the kid but seriously?... He's a good player.
That's true, but if he was able to dish it like he did in his rookie year he'd be close to a PPG player. He used to make the type of cross-crease passes only special players make, but for whatever reason it's no longer in his toolbox.

muzion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
That's true, but if he was able to dish it like he did in his rookie year he'd be close to a PPG player. He used to make the type of cross-crease passes only special players make, but for whatever reason it's no longer in his toolbox.
He's better than close to a point per game player.

He is a point per game player.

-----------------GP G A P
L Max Pacioretty 16 6 10 16

Old
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Nicko999

Yeah... Patches can't pass

Old
03-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Nicko999

2 more pts...

Now 18 pts in 17 games.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Pacioretty is the real deal. End of story. As far as 2nd best pick in 2007...he might very well be. Tough to ignore Couture though. And even Gagner. Shattenkirk and Perron also needs to be in there as well as our own PK. Yet....who cares really. 2007 was a really really average draft to say the least. The #2 in 2007 might very well be worst than #30 in 2013. But I don't care....MaxPac is still the real deal and exactly what we needed. If we can find more guys like him in the future...it would be a treat. Timmins has been great at drafting NHL'ers, everybody knows that. But we haven't been great in the scorers with size and grit since a whole lot of years.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:57 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pacioretty is the real deal. End of story. As far as 2nd best pick in 2007...he might very well be. Tough to ignore Couture though. And even Gagner. Shattenkirk and Perron also needs to be in there as well as our own PK. Yet....who cares really. 2007 was a really really average draft to say the least. The #2 in 2007 might very well be worst than #30 in 2013. But I don't care....MaxPac is still the real deal and exactly what we needed. If we can find more guys like him in the future...it would be a treat. Timmins has been great at drafting NHL'ers, everybody knows that. But we haven't been great in the scorers with size and grit since a whole lot of years.
There won't be 30 players this year better than Pacioretty.

I doubt that there will be 10 or 15.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
The #2 in 2007 might very well be worst than #30 in 2013.
That is very, very, very unlikely. Even the 2003 draft wasn't that good.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Jamie Benn says hi!

My ranking would probably be:
1-Patrick Kane
2-Jamie Benn
3-Logan Couture
4-PK Subban
5-Max Pacioretty
6-James Van Riemsdyk
7-David Perron
8-Wayne Simmonds
9-Jakub Voracek
10-Ryan Mcdonagh
Then you have guys like Eller, Shattenkirk, B. Sutter, Alzner, Sam Gagner, Kyle Turris,etc.
Top 3 (for me):
PK Subban

Top 6:
Pacioretty
McDonagh (playoffs warrior)

Top 8:
Shattenkirk

Top 15:
Eller

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-03-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I don't usually agree with you but this time I do.
Well then it must feel good for you to be right for a change then.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Are you for real ?

2007 is a good draft. I'd be surprised 2013 turned out that good how many draft produced 10 legitimate 1st liner and 2 first D. It wasnt deep, but it was one of the best in quality. If Stammer/Crosby could have been 2 years Older/younger this would be touted as the best quality draft ever.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Nicko999

Well with his goal yesterday... only 12 players have more goals than Max since the start of the 2011-2012 season.