HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Poor sharpening or my skating?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
w00t99

vCash: 500
Poor sharpening or my skating?

Hey Guys -

So I recently got back into playing after being away for about 3 years and I just picked up some new skates and have noticed that when standing straight up and gliding/standing still my right skate feels like it is just sliding around and I have little control over it.

I am able to stop on both edges with my right foot and my left feels completely normal and before my hiatus from the game I was the on ice 3-4x a week reffing and playing for about 3 years straight.

I picked up the skates from Play It Again and one of the kids at the store while I was being rang up took them to sharpen them and I'm curious if the issue is the one skate wasn't sharpened correctly or there is just something wrong with my skating. Like I said I used to be on the ice all the time and never had this feeling before but since I've been away for awhile not sure if its me or the skate. Just as an fyi I've skated about 5 times now on the skates and still feel the issue.

Thanks,

w00t99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Malarowski

If the skate slides along the blade like \\\\\\\\ rather than in a forward line, it's the sharpening. I used to experience this with rentals in central park usually as the blade had no edge it would just slide wherever.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
AIREAYE

Could be the sharpening, could be that the skates don't fit well, could be misalignment issues.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
w00t99

Yeah thats kind of the feeling when I get if I'm just going straight when I try to apply pressure it kind of just slides out from underneath me. I'm able to stop with that foot on both edges but this sliding out when not specifically on one edge is what was throwing me off and since I was away from skating for awhile thought it might be me?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
w00t99

the fit feels fine, other than some stiffness just from being new. Theyre vapor x3.0's just as an fyi.

Admittedly I've never known too much about the hollows of the blade etc...Right or wrong I've always just trusted the person sharpening them to know what theyre doing

Old
02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
neksys

Given that sharpenings are cheap, why not just get them re-sharpened at a trusted place and see if there is an improvement?

On that same note, it is possible you have a warped blade - that happens even from the factory. An experienced sharpener will be able to tell and probably make some adjustments if that is the case.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t99 View Post
Right or wrong I've always just trusted the person sharpening them to know what theyre doing
Ask around at the local rink. The people doing the sharpening tend to know what they're doing at least somewhat, but there are guys that will just throw them on without adjusting the height of the holder (which is what keeps the edges level) and ruin it entirely. There's a reason most players, even the C league guys, will usually ask for a sharpener by name. A bad sharpening job is hell, and a really good one makes your life a lot happier.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
deeman

Honestly - there are two red flags in your post. Play it Again Sports and the Kid shapening them.....

Go to a good shop and have them redone. I too bought skates at Play it Again and "the kid" sharpening did a crappy job. Re-do them, you'll be fine.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
w00t99

Yeah I was picking up a few other things and the kid just pretty much took the skates and said he'd go sharpen them and probably my own fault I didn't think too much of it at the time. Forgot that other than cheap equipment that place doesn't offer too much else, at least the ones by me who are run mainly by 17 year old kids.

I'll take them to get professionally done, thanks for all the input guys appreciate it

Old
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
AIREAYE

You guys are too quick to judge the sharpener negatively without having any sort of proof that he did a poor job...

Old
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
deeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You guys are too quick to judge the sharpener negatively without having any sort of proof that he did a poor job...
Based on all the variables and the fact that it's an easy and sensible thing to start with, I feel safe suggesting it. Evaluating a warped blade, loose mount, etc. would be the next step but sharpening is a logical place to start in my mind.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
AIREAYE

You're right in that it could be a reasonable place to start troubleshooting, but there's a difference between troubleshooting and immediately placing blame without proof. I'm not saying that the sharpener did a good job, just that you should get those edges checked first before placing blame.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
w00t99

I'm not overly concerned with placing blame, I have no issue taking them a shop where I know the guys are experts at what they do. The topic was more created because I wanted to see if it was an equipment issue or if I had somehow developed an issue with my skating since being away from the game.

I had guessed immediately when I felt it it was equipment related since I had never had any issue like it before and actually affects my dominant foot.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
AIREAYE

Let us know what happens.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:17 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Given that sharpenings are cheap, why not just get them re-sharpened at a trusted place and see if there is an improvement?

On that same note, it is possible you have a warped blade - that happens even from the factory. An experienced sharpener will be able to tell and probably make some adjustments if that is the case.
Not much a sharpener can do if the blade is warped... you essentially just try to get the middle lined up as best as possible but your toe and heel can be completely off still depending on the warp. No such thing as a C shaped sharpen

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
w00t99

Yeah to be honest with you, I'd prefer it was either the sharpening or somehow my skating and not a larger scale issue with the skates.

I'm taking them to a shop tomorrow that is very reputable and the guys are experts at what they do so we'll see. Hoping they just need a proper sharpening and have my problem fixed for under 10 bucks

Old
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Yeah to be honest with you, I'd prefer it was either the sharpening or somehow my skating and not a larger scale issue with the skates.

I'm taking them to a shop tomorrow that is very reputable and the guys are experts at what they do so we'll see. Hoping they just need a proper sharpening and have my problem fixed for under 10 bucks
That probably is it... Canadian Tire is a place notorious for bad sharpens after you buy skates there because they aren't properly trained and don't do it enough there. But I agree with AIREAYE that it's not right to jump all over the "kid" before we even know what the problem is.

(Btw, the fact that he's a kid means nothing. If he was trained right and has experience there's a good chance he's better than most sharpeners you'll go to)

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
That probably is it... Canadian Tire is a place notorious for bad sharpens after you buy skates there because they aren't properly trained and don't do it enough there. But I agree with AIREAYE that it's not right to jump all over the "kid" before we even know what the problem is.

(Btw, the fact that he's a kid means nothing. If he was trained right and has experience there's a good chance he's better than most sharpeners you'll go to)
Bingo.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:52 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Not much a sharpener can do if the blade is warped... you essentially just try to get the middle lined up as best as possible but your toe and heel can be completely off still depending on the warp. No such thing as a C shaped sharpen
What I meant was that many shops have tools to try to straighten a warped blade. I have no idea how effective they are.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Ted Black

Sounds like a bad sharpening to me. Best of luck and let us know the results.

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
w00t99

Took em to the shop this morning and the guy there who knows his stuff took one look and said it didn't even look like it had been sharpened, looked almost as if it was the right out of the box and completely dull.

Had him give them a proper sharpening and felt like a world of difference out on the ice today. Thanks for all the input guys

Old
03-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
Took em to the shop this morning and the guy there who knows his stuff took one look and said it didn't even look like it had been sharpened, looked almost as if it was the right out of the box and completely dull.

Had him give them a proper sharpening and felt like a world of difference out on the ice today. Thanks for all the input guys
glad it worked out. Easy fixes are the best!

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
clayman

I'm having the same issue with my skate, right skate in fact.. What is the best way to check a blade to see if it's warped? The sharpening seems to be fine..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
AIREAYE

Look at it.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:23 AM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

In my experience, the guys who have shops inside actual arenas do the best job. If you go to a store, you might get someone who really knows what they're doing, or someone who's hardly had any training or simply doesn't care. I've seen both.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote