HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
The @cfl_esks trade Brody McKnight to Riders for two 5th round picks. Trying to save face from another awful Tillman deal. Ouch.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:17 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The @cfl_esks trade Brody McKnight to Riders for two 5th round picks. Trying to save face from another awful Tillman deal. Ouch.
wow, what a horrible return on a equally terrible trade... man, tillman was TERRRRRRRIBLE

Old
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
wow, what a horrible return on a equally terrible trade... man, tillman was TERRRRRRRIBLE
We might've dealt our 6th in this trade as well.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Oh didn't see this got bumped just posted in the OT thread.

Yeah what a ****ing brutal trade to start with the guy wasn't even the kicker in Montreal. I really wish we could have heard the thought process on that one. Montreal probably would have done Chiavoni(sp?) for McKnight then Eric kept rambling and said he'd give a 1st too and Montreal responded by saying lets get this paperwork signed right now.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

Yeah what a ****ing brutal trade to start with the guy wasn't even the kicker in Montreal. I really wish we could have heard the thought process on that one. Montreal probably would have done Chiavoni(sp?) for McKnight then Eric kept rambling and said he'd give a 1st too and Montreal responded by saying lets get this paperwork signed right now.
Yet some try to defend the deal at the time.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Halibut

Quote:

I'm sure it involved a fairly significant amount of cough syrup.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yet some try to defend the deal at the time.
I didn't know much at the time of the players as I don't follow too closely but a 1st for any kicker seemed pretty stupid imo. Let alone one that wasn't in the ****ing league, yeesh.

How do you defend that?

But seriously Ray had to go... *gulp*

Any crow left in the house?

Old
03-01-2013, 10:34 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I still maintain that Tillman was intentionally hurting the Eskimos. No CFL GM would trade a 1st+ for a kicker unless they were sabotaging their team.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I still maintain that Tillman was intentionally hurting the Eskimos. No CFL GM would trade a 1st+ for a kicker unless they were sabotaging their team.
That basically seems like the case, when you really look at it. It's as if he was trying to tear it down to rebuild it in "his image" or something. If that's even remotely the case, that crosses the line from regular egomanical dickishness to full blown dictator level bat**** insanity.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Beerfish

As I've said repeatedly and at the time, that was the worst trade in the history of the Eskimos. Far far worse than the Ray trade.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yes but isn't this why you have a heirarchy of power? Why wouldn't the higher ups have said no way this isn't happening and on that note fire his ass then.

Instead of being like good call Eric nice pick up.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
As I've said repeatedly and at the time, that was the worst trade in the history of the Eskimos. Far far worse than the Ray trade.

Arguably was, mostly due to the fact that there was absolutely nothing to justify it. At least in the RR trade, you could use removing salary, getting younger, more mobile, whatever. But when that trade happened, nothing could explain it, and the resultant use of the acquired player made it beyond baffling.

As for getting the two 5th rounders, at least they get something, even if it is a plug nickel. Perhaps Hervey can work some magic and bunch together some of those late rounders into a 2nd or such. I commend him for trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Now, about upgrading those starting centre and kick receiver spots......

Old
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Yes but isn't this why you have a heirarchy of power? Why wouldn't the higher ups have said no way this isn't happening and on that note fire his ass then.

Was it the president or someone who came out after the season and basically said he went to bed, woke up and checked his email and saw Eric had traded for McKnight at midnight.

It could be a case of Eric going crazy. Who knows.

Still, it was a horrible horrible trade. Hated it then, hate it now, will hate it in the future.

Atleast we didn't keep with it and hope for the best.

03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Apparently there was no consultation with anyone else in the org before that trade was made. No one knew about it until the next morning. Tillman makes Tambo look like Sam Pollack in his brief tenure.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Was it the president or someone who came out after the season and basically said he went to bed, woke up and checked his email and saw Eric had traded for McKnight at midnight.

Still, it was a horrible horrible trade. Hated it then, hate it now, will hate it in the future.

yeah i remember reading that somewhere, that tillman didn't bother getting approval for some of his trades, and the mcknight one in particular

Old
03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Yet they thought he was crazy before then. Yet to keep him after this deal? The organization is a complete joke for allowing him to stick around after this.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Yet they thought he was crazy before then. Yet to keep him after this deal? The organization is a complete joke for allowing him to stick around after this.
I think the president said that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If that's the case, why did they let him stick around until the end of the regular season? What if he traded away our 2014 1st + Stamps for another kicker or something?

Who knows? Maybe Tillman was trying to do another move like that and that's why he was fired before the playoff game.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

Old
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
I think the president said that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If that's the case, why did they let him stick around until the end of the regular season? What if he traded away our 2014 1st + Stamps for another kicker or something?

Who knows? Maybe Tillman was trying to do another move like that and that's why he was fired before the playoff game.
I think the fact that half the front office was quitting mid season had more to do with it than anything for Rhodes.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I think after the McKnight deal, the clamps were down as they huddled to figure out the best time to sack him. I doubt he was allowed to make any more deals from that point on, unless they were all ratified by the board. Probably no more deals at all, would be my thought.

Anyhow, what's done is done. No sense looking back. Hervey has made the best of a tough situation and moved on. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he has up his sleeve. So far, he been nothing short of looking like Houdini with some of his moves. Nothing spectacular, just good solid football moves.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I think after the McKnight deal, the clamps were down as they huddled to figure out the best time to sack him. I doubt he was allowed to make any more deals from that point on, unless they were all ratified by the board. Probably no more deals at all, would be my thought.

Anyhow, what's done is done. No sense looking back. Hervey has made the best of a tough situation and moved on. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he has up his sleeve. So far, he been nothing short of looking like Houdini with some of his moves. Nothing spectacular, just good solid football moves.
I don't think it's that simple though. Clamps down or not you fire Tillman that day. Makes me wonder if going forward they'll be able to handle Hervey.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I don't think it's that simple though. Clamps down or not you fire Tillman that day. Makes me wonder if going forward they'll be able to handle Hervey.

I think it will be fine. Maybe they can get one of those electric dog choke collars for him with a remote control and access to all his e-mail and cell phone?

Old
03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
so Tillman trades a player and a first for a punter who can not punt and then they new GM trades him for two 5th????

do I understand that correctly

Old
03-01-2013, 02:48 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED
The #Eskimos have released non-import FB and nine-year veteran Matheiu Bertrand #CFL #yeg

Old
03-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I saw that coming. He just couldn't stay healthy.

Closed Thread