HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Defenseman Acquisition Thread | Part I: Creating a Defense that is "no Soff"

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
The Defenseman Acquisition Thread | Part I: Creating a Defense that is "no Soff"

Exhibits A-D:

Exhibit E:

Conclushun: We need better D.

Ready.... DISCUSS! (And yinz keep it clean.)

Old
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

The Personnel isn't the issue in my not-so-humble and never-incorrect opinion.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
The Personnel isn't the issue in my not-so-humble and never-incorrect opinion.
Are you saying Da System is SOff??

I think there's an argument to be made that Orpik's best days are behind him and that he's already begun to slow down / has a hard time doing his job in front of the net.

There's also an argument to be made Niskanen is a decent D but small / soff, and a potentially valuable trade asset because he still has some upside.

There's a further argument that while Despres is probably able to handle playoff pressure having already experienced it and having played well for the most part this year, its looking like maybe Bortuzzo can't (yet) hack it.

IMO acquiriing a physically strong D who can play 2nd pairing minutes, is almost as important (in light of our most embarrassing losses this year) as getting one more skilled winger.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
pens877158

I think we need a guy like Regher to clear the out the crease

Old
03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
plaidchuck

Agree 100% with CV. Sucks how this season we went from just needing one crucial forward piece to now most likely needing to replace two top pair defensemen.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The defense is fine. The system is not.

- ColePens

Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
deakka

The sad part is that defense is where i saw our strenght, hence having the extra pieces to move for a forward (i.e Despres, Niskanen). After last nights debacle, im not so sure we can move a defenseman without getting another defenseman back.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
radapex

Well, for one, something needs to be done about Bylsma's system. It's been in place since after the cup win, and the only defensive defenseman to play in it (Michalek) looked like garbage. They need to be better coached defensively before any personnel changes will even matter.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Agree 100% with CV. Sucks how this season we went from just needing one crucial forward piece to now most likely needing to replace two top pair defensemen.
I wouldn't go that far. There's no way I'm giving up on Letang at this point (except as PPQB). But you could argue acquiring a legit #2 or #3 D (strong, stay at home type - nothing flashy) would be a big help do this team.

Orpik is a first pairing guy so maybe 1 if he can't turn it around, and Niskanen is never going to be a legit first pairing guy, is a 2nd/3rd pairing "tweener" type IMO.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Jaded-Fan

I have been saying for two years it is the system. And defense is not only defensemen but forwards as well. If you turn the puck over with a blind drop pass to no one, or with a stretch pass that fails, creating an odd man break the other way, how is a bright and shiny new defenseman going to fix that?

We have a LOT of talent on this team defensively. Some of it fairly young, but talent none the less. We can make do with the players we have, but the system we have will not go far in the playoffs. Several of us have been screaming this for years now.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

- ColePens
You telling me you wouldn't feel better moving someone undersized like Niskanen for someone who is more of a banger but still decent on his skates?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You telling me you wouldn't feel better moving someone undersized like Niskanen for someone who is more of a banger but still decent on his skates?
Despres?

And I'd pack Orpik's bags now if Shero can get a big body replacement at the deadline. Not seeing a whole lot of difference between him and Regehr at this point.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
If I take a Ferrari, and try and use it to tow a two ton boat, do I scream that the Ferrari sucks because the bumper came off?

You can trade for all the defensemen in the world, and if the system is broken in some fundamental way they will fail as much as the current batch is failing.

Old
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:

- ColePens
The personnel is just okay. For a contending team it should definitely be upgraded. I agree the system makes our team defense look horrific, but system or not our dmen get manhandled along the boards physically. I'm fully on board with trading Niskanen while his value is still relatively high.

Old
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Orpik Martin
Despres Letang
Engelland Bortuzzo

That defense played hard and the team looked great for the four games they were together. You can put Niskanen on the third pairing with either of the two there, and he will be a differencemaker and guarantee that someone can outlet the puck - not totally unlike Gogo was in the past.

What is clear is that you cannot play Niskanen Letang against physical opposition. It should have always been clear.

And while getting a veteran defenseman would also be on my list of priorities for the deadline if we look decent for a run, right now it should be all about making sure what we have with the Despres/Letang pairing and insuring that Bortuzzo gets enough games to be one we can count on both on the third pairing and particularly for next season.

Again - it is not the individual quality of our defenders and it wasn't last year, which I kept repeating when talking about Martin-Michalek. To some extent it is a matter of finding the right - compatible - pairings, but more so it is about changing the defensive system to something the players can understand/execute instead of the constant carnival of errors.

It is beyond me how this can even be in question still.

Old
Jacques G
Glassic

I am hesitant to blame it on the system when you can have a guy like Paul Martin playing that system effectively. I'm putting the majority of the burden on the players. Stop playing like you're confused. Honestly, this is not new stuff here. The system is not to blame for Letang making god-awful decisions and turning the puck over every other possession. The system is not to blame for Orpik (who wears a damn A on his sweater) not being able to clear the zone with all the time in the world.

Old
radapex

Quote:
I'd be more inclined to move Orpik for a more defensive option than I would Niskanen, for this season anyway.

Niskanen, on the other hand, should replace Letang on the #1 PP. He's less risky than Letang, plus he can actually get shots through.

Old
plaidchuck

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. There's no way I'm giving up on Letang at this point (except as PPQB). But you could argue acquiring a legit #2 or #3 D (strong, stay at home type - nothing flashy) would be a big help do this team.

Orpik is a first pairing guy so maybe 1 if he can't turn it around, and Niskanen is never going to be a legit first pairing guy, is a 2nd/3rd pairing "tweener" type IMO.
Sorry I meant two top 4 so I was looking at Niskanen and Orpik. Based on the deal I'd even let Martin go if the return was good enough.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Orpik Martin
Despres Letang
Engelland Bortuzzo

That defense played hard and the team looked great for the four games they were together. You can put Niskanen on the third pairing with either of the two there, and he will be a differencemaker and guarantee that someone can outlet the puck - not totally unlike Gogo was in the past.

What is clear is that you cannot play Niskanen Letang against physical opposition. It should have always been clear.

And while getting a veteran defenseman would also be on my list of priorities for the deadline if we look decent for a run, right now it should be all about making sure what we have with the Despres/Letang pairing and insuring that Bortuzzo gets enough games to be one we can count on both on the third pairing and particularly for next season.

Again - it is not the individual quality of our defenders and it wasnøt last year. To some extent it is a matter of finding the right - compatible - pairings, but more so it is about changing the defensive system to something the players can understand/execute instead of the constant carnival of errors.

It is beyond me how this can even be in question still
Uh, because Dan Bylsma controls the lineup card.

Quote:

- ColePens
THIS. Now, don't confuse 'fine' with 'top'. But, with another system designed to better exploit the collection of talent, it would be fine for a playoff run.

Side question: Is there a harder job for a general manager in hockey than finding players who fit Bylsma's system?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Jaded-Fan

Maybe Michalek is available. He sounds just like what you are talking about. I wonder what it would cost to get him from Phoenix in a trade.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Michalek was soft too. I don't miss his snow angel act. Not what we need.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Maybe Michalek is available. He sounds just like what you are talking about. I wonder what it would cost to get him from Phoenix in a trade.
I'd give a first, Bylsma, and Cammy Granato if they sent back Michalek and Dave King.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
quins

Quote:

- ColePens
This x 100000

Old
03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
radapex

On the topic of personnel, I wouldn't mind seeing Shero go after Ron Hainsey. I know his reputation among fans isn't the greatest, and he's got a $4.5-million cap hit (which he's in the final year of), but he's be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing defensive defenseman.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Yeah that's fine, but when 2 goals are scored from the high slot, that's the forwards responsibility as well. So it's a system issue or guys just not picking up a man.

Closed Thread