HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

Old
02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
ottawafan66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
-------------------

I recalled Cowie (MVP) and Johnston (Top D) and thought Weeger was "top prospect". I thought that was it for league awards. Obviously I stand corrected. Just recalled a post from last year stating otherwise as I was pushing for Mac on Hockeysfuture Boards.

I still stand by/suggest that Pemby's Smith and Larson are top propects/rookies this year. Don't follow Pemby close enough to notice that his three games last year were in exhibition - although it makes sense given their strength in net and their number one last season. Summers also has garnered alot of attention this year.

Thanks for the clarification Ottawafan.
Here's the link to the awards page if you're interested:

http://centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/...ward-winners-1

And Larson played junior in the SIJHL last season (rookie of the year), so he probably isn't eligible.

Last edited by ottawafan66: 02-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.
ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Not sure why he wouldn't be eligible. He's a '95 who's never played junior hockey. Weegar won last year as a '94. As for Summers, defence is also a tough position to play as a rookie.

I think Ottawa will finish first but I don't think they'll win it all come playoffs. I could even see Hawkesbury taking them out (assuming they get in) in the first round.
--------------

Lots of action here on ROY. IMO Racine has had an excellent year but concur that a 17 year old netminder or standout defencement rate higher.

Also, as I suggested earlier, a point a game F needs to be considered and has as good chance as anyway for an award in a league which typically considers stats a priority when choosing regular awards.

Grabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Here's the link to the awards page if you're interested:

http://centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/...ward-winners-1

And Larson played junior in the SIJHL last season, so he probably isn't eligible.
------
Corrected again? Don't follow Pemby close but noticed he played 5 games last season (also exhibition?) and had six points. Excellent season this year in our loop for a 17 year old. I see he has cracked the top scorer list on Pointstreak.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
Summers...hands down....
You would choose Summers over your own goalie (Smith) in Pemby Hardfacts? Interesting.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
------
Corrected again? Don't follow Pemby close but noticed he played 5 games last season (also exhibition?) and had six points. Excellent season this year in our loop for a 17 year old. I see he has cracked the top scorer list on Pointstreak.
Larson had 69 points in 56 games with Fort Frances as a 16 year old last year. I guess it wasn't a fluke.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
hardfacts

Quote:
You would choose Summers over your own goalie (Smith) in Pemby Hardfacts? Interesting.
I'm something called a true fan.....dont wear your rose colored glasses.....and also do my homework before stating facts or my opinion....like your last five posts...please read point streak or read the league website before stating facts....instead of GRABBING at facts grabbers....

Love Smith....think he is a great goalie....Summers is a 16yr old kid playing top four mins puting up some big numbers.....cant remember a 16yr old dman this good in this league in a long time...Smith second...Racine third.....

I would go with Smith for top prospect....

hardfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:31 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Some players have verbal commitments. Is there someone out there that can explain the difference between verbal and letter of intent? Not sure what Summers has. I have been told a verbal means nothing and the player can get out of it at any time?? I can see Racine, White, and Summers all going to OHL next season. Why wouldn't they if they got a school package.
Lots of reasons to choose the NCCA over the OHL.
You don't have to move away from home, friends, high school, until you finish high school. The OHL school package is awesome for a lot of kids, but lots of restrictions. You have to go directly to school when you stop playing in the OHL. If you sign a semi-pro deal anywhere, your School package is null/void. The student-athlete experience in the states can be excellent, more balanced life style, see Mathew Peca article.
University is not for everyone, the OHL option has it's strengths, but so does the NCAA option.

CoasttoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
specialteams

Final Weeks

Can it get any tighter, has it ever been this close down to the final weeks? Just looked at final games between all play-off contending teams:

Ottawa - Kemptville, Cumberland, Kemptville
CP - Kemptville, Hawkesbury, Brockville, Cornwall
Cornwall - Gloucester, SF, Nepean, CP
SF - Hawkesbury, Nepean, Cornwall, Gloucester
Nepean - PLK, SF, Kanata, Kemptville, Cornwall, Cumberland
PLK - Nepean, Cumberland, Kemptville, Kanata
Brockville - Hawkesbury, Kanata, Hawkesbury, CP
Kanata - Nep, PLK, Brockville
Hawkesbury - SF, Brockville, CP, Cumberland, Brockville, Kemptville, Gloucester

Based on remaining games - Ottawa will finish 1st, have to like Hawkesbury chances to get that 8th spot as Kanata is in tough with their final 3 games. Even Brockville having to basically play two desperate teams (Hawks twice and Kanata) fighting for their lives could finish 7th or even 2nd if win four and others stumble. Other than OJS and Hawkesbury in 1st round no idea the other series.

Predictions:
Ottawa
CP
Nepean
Cornwall
PLK
SF
Brockville
Hawkesbury

specialteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialteams View Post
Can it get any tighter, has it ever been this close down to the final weeks? Just looked at final games between all play-off contending teams:

Based on remaining games - Ottawa will finish 1st, have to like Hawkesbury chances to get that 8th spot as Kanata is in tough with their final 3 games. Even Brockville having to basically play two desperate teams (Hawks twice and Kanata) fighting for their lives could finish 7th or even 2nd if win four and others stumble. Other than OJS and Hawkesbury in 1st round no idea the other series.

Predictions:
Ottawa
CP
Nepean
Cornwall
PLK
SF
Brockville
Hawkesbury
That would be the most exciting matchups too IMO

oldnucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Some players have verbal commitments. Is there someone out there that can explain the difference between verbal and letter of intent? Not sure what Summers has. I have been told a verbal means nothing and the player can get out of it at any time?? I can see Racine, White, and Summers all going to OHL next season. Why wouldn't they if they got a school package.
I definately think that Summers will have a tough decision to make,as I see him being OHL ready, but maybe he wants to go the NCAA route. I know that Racine is also getting alot of NCAA attention, I am sure his decision will depend on what happens at Peterborough training camp next season. White was also getting alot of NCAA attention, but recently signed with the Sarnia Sting. Definately some good 16 year olds in the league this year.

EasternOntario Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:31 PM
hardfacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
You don't have to move away from home, friends, high school, until you finish high school. The OHL school package is awesome for a lot of kids, but lots of restrictions. You have to go directly to school when you stop playing in the OHL. If you sign a semi-pro deal anywhere, your School package is null/void. The student-athlete experience in the states can be excellent, more balanced life style, see Mathew Peca article.
University is not for everyone, the OHL option has it's strengths, but so does the NCAA option.
Best post on here in over a year.....great insight for positives and negatives of both options...

hardfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Drew2you

Anyone able to give a scouting report on Pembroke's Boucher-Gould? Seems to be lighting it up after joining half way thru the year.

Drew2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
CC87

Quote:

Not entirely accurate.

If you sign an AHL or NHL deal your school package is forfeited.

Beyond that, you have an 18 month window to begin to access the package.

A full season in the ECHL or other leagues can be played before falling back on the package.

From the Windsor Spitfires website...

"*a player who leaves the OHL and does not sign pro contract with the American Hockey League or the National Hockey League has an eighteen month period to access their scholarship. For more information on the OHLís educational policies and guidelines, please visit http://bestofbothworlds.ca

CC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC87 View Post
Not entirely accurate.

If you sign an AHL or NHL deal your school package is forfeited.

Beyond that, you have an 18 month window to begin to access the package.

A full season in the ECHL or other leagues can be played before falling back on the package.

From the Windsor Spitfires website...

"*a player who leaves the OHL and does not sign pro contract with the American Hockey League or the National Hockey League has an eighteen month period to access their scholarship. For more information on the OHLís educational policies and guidelines, please visit http://bestofbothworlds.ca
Wel I new it was something like that.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Deets

Chris Mannicia has verbally committed to UMass-Lowell starting next season:

http://smithfallsbears.pointstreaksi...ews/news_67605

Deets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
CJHL FAN

Cumberland Grads have a new Coach Nathan Hewitt. Congratulations to him and best of luck to Paul Flindall in his future endeavours.

CJHL FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialteams View Post

Predictions:
Ottawa
CP
Nepean
Cornwall
PLK
SF
Brockville
Hawkesbury
Good break down...my 2 cents on the final 8 spots and pts they might finish with...

Ott (87)
Cor (81)
Nep (81)
CPC (80)
PLK (78)
SFB (77)
BRK (74)
HAW (72)

All Playoff matches this year will be great...I think the Hawks will be to drained to get out of the 1st rd after playing to get in....the other 3 rounds are all going 6 or 7 games in my estimation regardless of who plays who....should be great hockey!

ZebraCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Tarzan

Not sure what the Bears are doing. Lot's of selfish playing on the ice. Get your heads out of your butts boys. Such a promising team but you don't seem to want to work together!!!! Raiders, unfortunately for us, played like a team

Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:53 AM
ORRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHL FAN View Post
Cumberland Grads have a new Coach Nathan Hewitt. Congratulations to him and best of luck to Paul Flindall in his future endeavours.
Hewitt gets nod for next year? Or just a fill in for rest of season?

ORRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
CoasttoCoast

Nepean 5- Smith falls 2

Physical chippy game last night in Smith Falls. Rodier got called for kneeing in the first and Smith Falls coached yelled at the linesmen and ref's all night, I think both of these things contributed to a Physical/chippy even dirty game. Some strong hits by both sides but some very dangerous hits as well. Staged fight to start the second period. Coghill knocked a sf player unconscious, 5 minute major, didn't see the hit myself. I heard the kid was OK.
Not a lot of even strength play. Zawadski was good again. Hedges and Neil were on separate lines, this is new. Norris didn't play, suspension, Hodgson still out.

Nepean's defense played well again. In the last 3 games, against Ott. Pem & SF they have allowed only 3 even strength goals.

Hard to get a read on Smith Falls last night, so little even strength play last night. I thought Byron played well.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
gusfring

Nep going to be in trouble if they have to play 2 JR B defensemen in the playoffs.

They were not good the other night against PLK.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Nepean 5- Smith falls 2

Physical chippy game last night in Smith Falls. Rodier got called for kneeing in the first and Smith Falls coached yelled at the linesmen and ref's all night, I think both of these things contributed to a Physical/chippy even dirty game. Some strong hits by both sides but some very dangerous hits as well. Staged fight to start the second period. Coghill knocked a sf player unconscious, 5 minute major, didn't see the hit myself. I heard the kid was OK.
Not a lot of even strength play. Zawadski was good again. Hedges and Neil were on separate lines, this is new. Norris didn't play, suspension, Hodgson still out.

Nepean's defense played well again. In the last 3 games, against Ott. Pem & SF they have allowed only 3 even strength goals.

Hard to get a read on Smith Falls last night, so little even strength play last night. I thought Byron played well.
If he was knocked unconscious, then I doubt he's OK. At the very least, he'll miss time for a possible concussion. Any idea who it was?

Old
03-02-2013, 03:11 PM
newfan

I see Laforest got another W in the pipes for CP last night..... good for him!

He's a been on a bit of a roll lately!

newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:51 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
If he was knocked unconscious, then I doubt he's OK. At the very least, he'll miss time for a possible concussion. Any idea who it was?
For those who were at the game. They saw the kid back boarded, neck collared and taken out on a stretcher. I heard this morning he had walked out of the hospital, last night. Which is really good news all things considered. (this is only what a heard, I don't know for sure).
No, I never did get the kid's number.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
For those who were at the game. They saw the kid back boarded, neck collared and taken out on a stretcher. I heard this morning he had walked out of the hospital, last night. Which is really good news all things considered. (this is only what a heard, I don't know for sure).
No, I never did get the kid's number.
The player was #5 Chris MacMillan.