HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings Playoff Contenders Still

Old
03-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Dekesyuk

vCash: 500
Wings Playoff Contenders Still

The Wings prove that they are still contenders and for you stubborn enough to not believe it I will give you reasons why.
1. Our Poor Defense is actually getting it done.
Is kronwall knocking people out? no but hes scoring. Lashoff looks like a brad stuart. Kindl and Big E are suprisingly not screwing it up. Although Quincey is still a cone and it looks like we are shipping away White. The Defence is keeping it up.
2. Goaltending
Howie has been doing suprisingly well after Mrazek showed he has NHL caliber play in him. Not to mention Gustavasson played a great game against SJ tonight which proves we have a good backup goalie to rely on whose better than Joey Mac
3. Coaching
Babcock is taking the lack of talent we have this year and making it work. Especially with injuries. Look for datsyuk to perform much better when paired back with Bert. Z and Brunner are doing outstanding. Eaves is working hard even though Helm is unavailable. Tootoo also working hard. Tatar and Andersson are looking very good and although i wish they would be played more they are doing theyre role. If we have a healthy wings (Fil, Bert, Helm, I dont really care for Samulesson) we will make the playoffs easy and perhaps make some sort of run.

What do you guys think?

Dekesyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Mort Divine

Babcock is driving this team into the ground with his mind boggling line ups

Mort Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:51 AM
KJoe88
LGRW!

Unlike some people I think this team has upside.

Like you mentioned, our 'defense' is actually getting it done, even though it shouldn't with all the improvised d-man we have. I think once Smith gets healthier and gains more confidence, we're one solid d-man away from having a tangible defensive end imo. Kronner has played tremendous these last few games, Big E has surprised probably all of us. Kindl is proving he finally belongs in the NHL, and Lashoff, eh, is a good bottom pairing.

However, our offense is still in question. Pavel still NEEDS help. Cleary and Abby are NOT worthy on his wings. I really do wish we'd somehow procure Perry from the Ducks. Him and Pavel (and even Flip possibly) would make a dangerous line for any team to contend with. Tats needs to be promoted, that's obvious enough. Nyquist needs to be given a serious chance in the lineup. He's not going to learn the NHL without playing. I get that he's weak, but he's fast and has instinct I believe.

Howie and Gus are good in net, so I'm not worried.

Our bottom six is shaping out to be good. Eaves, Miller, Toots, Andersson, and Emmerton have all been good.

The fact that we did beat the Sharks in the fashion we did solidifies that we can win those gritty come from behind wins. They played back to back against two good teams, and came out victorious for the most part.

The Wings have gaps, but are still a PO contender in my mind.

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:51 AM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekesyuk View Post
The Wings prove that they are still contenders and for you stubborn enough to not believe it I will give you reasons why.
Is kronwall knocking people out? no but hes scoring. Lashoff looks like a brad stuart. Kindl and Big E are suprisingly not screwing it up. Although Quincey is still a cone and it looks like we are shipping away White. The Defence is keeping it up.
2. Goaltending
Howie has been doing suprisingly well after Mrazek showed he has NHL caliber play in him. Not to mention Gustavasson played a great game against SJ tonight which proves we have a good backup goalie to rely on whose better than Joey Mac
3. Coaching
Babcock is taking the lack of talent we have this year and making it work. Especially with injuries. Look for datsyuk to perform much better when paired back with Bert. Z and Brunner are doing outstanding. Eaves is working hard even though Helm is unavailable. Tootoo also working hard. Tatar and Andersson are looking very good and although i wish they would be played more they are doing theyre role. If we have a healthy wings (Fil, Bert, Helm, I dont really care for Samulesson) we will make the playoffs easy and perhaps make some sort of run.

What do you guys think?
This is pretty much what I was thinking. If, and that's a big if, we're all healthy and make the playoffs, we could definitely surprise some people.

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Flowah
I choose to believe

Uhhh... making it work? We've played a ton of games at home already, have played more games than most teams, and are still just inside the playoffs.

This team is a bubble team at best.

The frustrating thing is, I can see the team being much better. I see talent that can do better. But that talent is being seriously mishandled. I hope more and more people are seeing Kindl's solid play. Well, a few games ago, after stringing together a few really good games, he was benched for god knows what.

We still have Abby and Cleary on Datsyuk's wing, AND they're both seeing PP time. Meanwhile, our best bottom six player by far, Tatar, is getting crap minutes and still making things happen. Babcock has said "players determine their ice time." What a load. Tatar should be with Datsyuk if that were actually true. Who for a second believes he has not outplayed Cleary or Abby?

These are all the same criticisms that have been floating around. The team obviously has some tools on its current roster and in the AHL. With a few moves, yeah, it could be a serious contender. But the direction it's going now is not encouraging. And other than Helm, I don't think anyone on our injured list makes a difference. Sammy comes back? Bert comes back? They don't matter. Carlo? Hahahahaaaaaa.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
2. Goaltending
3. Coaching

What do you guys think?
Your opinions =/= proof.

Will we make the playoffs? Probably, and of course it is possible that we make a run and even win it. It's just the probability is too small to have high expectations or make a deadline rental deal. Everyone still TECHNICALLY can win a cup, but I doubt many people outside of Wings fans consider us a contender

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Dekesyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Your opinions =/= proof.
I think that if we have a big trade (Franzen, White)
either get a shutdown d man or a top 6 elite sniper (Iginla) then we are right up there with the best in the league once again...

Old
03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Dekesyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Uhhh... making it work? We've played a ton of games at home already, have played more games than most teams, and are still just inside the playoffs.

This team is a bubble team at best.

The frustrating thing is, I can see the team being much better. I see talent that can do better. But that talent is being seriously mishandled. I hope more and more people are seeing Kindl's solid play. Well, a few games ago, after stringing together a few really good games, he was benched for god knows what.

We still have Abby and Cleary on Datsyuk's wing, AND they're both seeing PP time. Meanwhile, our best bottom six player by far, Tatar, is getting crap minutes and still making things happen. Babcock has said "players determine their ice time." What a load. Tatar should be with Datsyuk if that were actually true. Who for a second believes he has not outplayed Cleary or Abby?

These are all the same criticisms that have been floating around. The team obviously has some tools on its current roster and in the AHL. With a few moves, yeah, it could be a serious contender. But the direction it's going now is not encouraging. And other than Helm, I don't think anyone on our injured list makes a difference. Sammy comes back? Bert comes back? They don't matter. Carlo? Hahahahaaaaaa.
Going to try and back Babs up a little...
Datsyuk with Abby is because Bert is hurt and Bertuzzi and Datsyuk play GREAT together, Pavel brings out a lot in Bertuzzi and makes him a threat. I think Abdelkador is just there for a defensive presence.
Tatar is playing with Andersson because of they're chemistry in the GR together so Babs doesnt want them seperated and if you ask me theyre doing a good job.
Also, please remember the Detroit organization does not leave theyre minor league team to dry. Which is a main reason Nyquist is down there so that GR still has a chance.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
They are a playoff team in my opinion and probably decent when healthy in terms of a punchers chance in the first and second round if things break right. This team would have 3 or 4 more points if Babcock wasn't the coach right now in my opinion. He just isn't making the adjustments you expect out of a big time coach. I do like the compete level quite a bit, the Wings are still a very hard working team outside of a couple of eggs. I cannot fault the effort, even of guys like Cleary and Quincey that anger me quite a bit watching. Each guy is giving a lot of effort in my opinion. They realize they have to and that part makes me happy as a fan.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:33 AM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
They are a playoff team in my opinion and probably decent when healthy in terms of a punchers chance in the first and second round if things break right. This team would have 3 or 4 more points if Babcock wasn't the coach right now in my opinion. He just isn't making the adjustments you expect out of a big time coach. I do like the compete level quite a bit, the Wings are still a very hard working team outside of a couple of eggs. I cannot fault the effort, even of guys like Cleary and Quincey that anger me quite a bit watching. Each guy is giving a lot of effort in my opinion. They realize they have to and that part makes me happy as a fan.
I'll definitely agree on his inability to make adjustments. Seeing Abby's 0-1-1 is both depressing and frustrating when Tatar has put up 3-3-6 in a limited role.

I've been pretty impressed with the team's resiliency given everything that's happened this season. Coming back to win against San Jose after losing a heartbreaker to the defending Cup champs gives me hope for the rest of the season.

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Anchor Town

Currently in 8th place in the West and considering all the injuries we've gone through, that's not that bad. It's a real tight race outside of Chicago, Anaheim, and Columbus

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:39 AM
14ari13

If
1 Howard has not been as he has
2 Babcock has switched Lashoff and Ericsson earlier, Tatar and Abby/Cleary
3 Our special units were not so terrible
4 Too many injuries
we would have 5-6 many more points and that would make us a solid playoff team.

14ari13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:42 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
I think that if we have a big trade (Franzen, White)
either get a shutdown d man or a top 6 elite sniper (Iginla) then we are right up there with the best in the league once again...
Iginla was an elite sniper several years ago...at this point he's probably worse than Franzen.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:09 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Well said.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:16 AM
aar000n

What about trading the young goalie for something? Or is he the future here?

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:34 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Will we make the playoffs? Probably, and of course it is possible that we make a run and even win it. It's just the probability is too small to have high expectations or make a deadline rental deal. Everyone still TECHNICALLY can win a cup, but I doubt many people outside of Wings fans consider us a contender
This is the salary cap era, the distance between 1st and 8th is much smaller than it used to be, and the term "contender" has a much different definition. If the idea is to wait until we are at some arbitrarily high probability of winning the Cup before we make moves to reach that end, we'll probably be waiting a while. The Wings have holes and are struggling in several ways, sure, but so is just about every other team in the conference. At the moment, there are only two teams in the West that are more than 1 point ahead of us. Every team around us in the standings we have either beaten or played real close. The Wings odds may not be great, but they aren't so bad that we shouldn't consider a deadline deal, or acknowledge the possibility of an extended run. The playoffs are more about who gets hot at that time than they are about regular season records anyway.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I'd guess Howard's UFA status would mean this is a no-go. Plus, there's a decent chance Mrazek could be better than Jimmy. I'd be hesitant to give him up.

Thrace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:39 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
He's the future, imo, and is untouchable. He's a full 8 years younger than Howard and Gustavsson and the only netminder in the prospect system who looks like NHL material right now. And besides, he's providing valuable depth right now, as the 3rd or 4th (depending on what you think the Wings think of MacDonald) guy in the pecking order. We've already needed him for two games this year.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:16 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
He's the future, imo, and is untouchable. He's a full 8 years younger than Howard and Gustavsson and the only netminder in the prospect system who looks like NHL material right now. And besides, he's providing valuable depth right now, as the 3rd or 4th (depending on what you think the Wings think of MacDonald) guy in the pecking order. We've already needed him for two games this year.
You realize that MacDonald has started the past seven games for the Calgary Flames...

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

mrazek, sproul, ouellet and backman should all be untouchables

nyquist could be moved but only in a deal for a top pairing dman and/or top 4 young forward

other then that detroit was always going to be in the 5-9 slot in the West this year and thats exactly where they are and where they will finish up

we will probbaly move out White before the deadline for a 2nd rd pick or something to that effect and then add a more stay at home guy come the trade deadline and maybe, maybe a top 9 forward(doubtful though)

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

As much as we complain about this lineup or the overall makeup of this team...I still say there aren't 8 teams in the conference better than them. They'll get into the playoffs again by default. I hope all the flaws of this team are fixed next year because they'll get exposed in 82 game seasons and especially if they play bigger Eastern teams.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The entire West is a crapshoot outside of Chicago and maybe Anaheim (who already have a 7 point lead in their division). Columbus is the only team who will for sure not make the playoffs.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

If we had won any of those games where we held a two goal lead and watched it evaporate, we'd be sitting pretty in the fourth seed, with a little bit of a pillow of comfort stuck between us and the rest of the pack. Once this team cuts down on the brain farts, it will be as dangerous as the Ducks and the Hawks, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
As much as we complain about this lineup or the overall makeup of this team...I still say there aren't 8 teams in the conference better than them. They'll get into the playoffs again by default. I hope all the flaws of this team are fixed next year because they'll get exposed in 82 game seasons and especially if they play bigger Eastern teams.
The defense is serviceable and isn't killing us. In fact, outside of that St. Louis Blues catastrophe, and those massive brain farts against Anaheim and the sort, I'd say we've been perfectly sound, perhaps a top five defensive team in the conference. I think the Dcorps is set. It's not producing points as in years past, but as long as it will keep its collective heads out of their behinds, we can keep up with the best teams. We really need to beef up the forward corps, though, to make up for the lack of puck movement. I think it's imperative Holland looks into that this offseason. Gustavsson and Howard are still good as long as we play something resembling defense in front of them. We just have to score goals.

Last edited by JmanWingsFan: 03-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Dekesyuk

Mrazek is going to be our SAVIOR.
I can see him competing with Howie for a number 1 spot. I mean look at the guys stars in the AHL and he had a shutout his first NHL game. Not to mention in the AHL allstar game he stopped every shootout attempt.
Oulette will lead our defense I am sure of it as he looked very strong in the U20 tournament
Finally, Tatar and Brunner will take over for offense I wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist traded.. And to the man who said Franzen is worth somethig. No. So lazy and just such a lack of skill. God I hate Franzen.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Vladdy84
NO HALF MEASURES KEN

Give Pavel help. D continues to play well and improve. Jimmy play realgood. Wings make the playoff easily. And depending on health can make a run.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote