Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 12:01 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
And here I thought Phoenix's attendance was bad. . . . .

watching the Panther's highlights and it's awful. Nearly completely empty on the lower bowl between the blue lines.
Talking about a team in South Florida that has 17pts in 20 games... yeah, they won't draw very well.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:50 AM
NHLPodium

vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
And here I thought Phoenix's attendance was bad. . . . .

watching the Panther's highlights and it's awful. Nearly completely empty on the lower bowl between the blue lines.
It's actually not that bad. The problem is the ownership is a bunch of idiots and are selling "premium" seats in those sections you see in front of the camera. Problem is, the seats are too expensive, and the people that do own those seats are in the club drinking bubbly. There are a few articles on it.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

vCash: 500
What a dive by Jones. That was hardly suspension worthy are you kidding me. That was one of the weakest cross checks I have seen. The only reason that was called is because of the the blatant dive.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

How great would it have been if the Avs elected to not match the offer sheet!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/..._ryan_oreilly/

Quote:
In a bizarre twist to an already unusual story, Sportsnet.ca has discovered that the Flames were not only in danger of losing 2013 first- and third-round draft picks as compensation if the Avs hadn’t matched the O’Reilly contract, but they also would likely have had to surrender the player before ever getting him in uniform.

That’s because O’Reilly would have needed to clear waivers before joining the team’s roster.
Am I the only one out there that doesn't see O'Reilly as the "franchise player" that Feaster apparently does? I mean, he's a good player and all...but is he really worth $6.5 million AAV?

Old
03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

O'Reilly's definitely not a franchise player. I think Calgary's in desperation mode right now and if the offer sheet move had succeeded, they might be slightly better than a bubble team (when healthy).

Old
03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
O'Reilly's definitely not a franchise player. I think Calgary's in desperation mode right now and if the offer sheet move had succeeded, they might be slightly better than a bubble team (when healthy).
Calgary isn't a bubble team. They're in 14th. In the position they're in, they're better off losing out this season (I mean there's only like 2 more months left of it anyway), keeping that 1st rounder, and looking for a franchise player in what's projected to be one of the deepest drafts in a long time.

Generally I think people here overvalue prospects and undervalue actual success, giving lots of undue credit to the teams that are perennially 3 years away. But in this case I think the path to success for CGY is pretty clearly through a strong 2013 draft.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
forthewild

Calgary is 4 points out of a playoff spot, and 6 points from division lead with 18GP (both Wild and VAN have 19)

To say wit ROR and Kipper they can't make that up is a bit of a stretch, still a gamble but a reasonable one.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:17 AM
nickschultzfan

Calgary is going down in Flames. (sorry, had to).

They suck. Their vets are old. Not enough good prospects.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Calgary is 4 points out of a playoff spot, and 6 points from division lead with 18GP (both Wild and VAN have 19)

To say wit ROR and Kipper they can't make that up is a bit of a stretch, still a gamble but a reasonable one.
Right. What that means is that with significant improvement (i.e., getting their goalie back and a young star forward) they would become a bubble team. Not a contender. They max out at bubble team. For this one year. And then what happens next year when Iginla's contract is up? Even if they re-sign him, he's really getting up there in years and has been slowing down.

Normally I don't really like the idea of tanking, but Calgary has seriously been the poster child of too good to improve, too bad to win.

Unfortunately for them, I think Feaster is probably the only GM delusional enough to not sell and get a great return on Iginla.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:36 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Right. What that means is that with significant improvement (i.e., getting their goalie back and a young star forward) they would become a bubble team. For this one year. And then what happens next year when Iginla's contract is up? Even if they re-sign him, he's really getting up there in years and has been slowing down.

Normally I don't really like the idea of tanking, but Calgary has seriously been the poster child of too good to improve, too bad to win.
yeah its a good thing they took that title from Us.

Also think about it, if they get ROR and finish say 15th, can the guy they select at 15 be better then ROR?

I'm not saying it was a brilliant move, all i'm saying its a decent risk until you factor in that they might have lost picks and him.

I mean that would have to end Feaster's career as GM no?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
yeah its a good thing they took that title from Us.

Also think about it, if they get ROR and finish say 15th, can the guy they select at 15 be better then ROR?

I'm not saying it was a brilliant move, all i'm saying its a decent risk until you factor in that they might have lost picks and him.

I mean that would have to end Feaster's career as GM no?
I edited my post before you replied, but I think Feaster is probably done regardless, unless he hits a home run on selling Iginla as a rental (which he is not pragmatic enough to ever do).

Old
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Russo wrote this morning that if the Avs had not matched Calgary still may not have ended up with ROR cause some twist in this meant he had to go through waivers? Calgary would have still lost those picks though.

Can someone explain why he would have had to go through a waiver period?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Russo wrote this morning that if the Avs had not matched Calgary still may not have ended up with ROR cause some twist in this meant he had to go through waivers? Calgary would have still lost those picks though.

Can someone explain why he would have had to go through a waiver period?
Per article from sports net it has to do with ROR playing two games in Russia after the NHL season started, he was a free agent so he would be in the group of Nabakov etc and thus would be subject to waivers to play for a new team in the NHL. However because he was on colorado's roster he would not have to go through this.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Quote:
And as NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN on Friday, O'Reilly would have had to clear waivers to join the Flames if he actually played in the KHL after the start of the NHL season on Jan. 19.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Per article from sports net it has to do with ROR playing two games in Russia after the NHL season started, he was a free agent so he would be in the group of Nabakov etc and thus would be subject to waivers to play for a new team in the NHL. However because he was on colorado's roster he would not have to go through this.
Thanks, i just saw the article. Man what a disaster that would have been for the Flames, lose the picks and not get ROR? I would have had to laugh hard at that one.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
It would have been so hilarious, I might actually have felt sorry for Flames fans.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Jesus... You would think GMs would be more knowledgeable about those rules.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
I can't be the only one wondering if the Colorado GM just got fed up with the ROR situation and asked for a favor from the Calgary GM and had the Calgary GM offersheet ROR on behalf of Colorado?

I mean, he asks Calgary because it is in-division and they've likely met eachother in person a few times. Calgary actually looks like they could want him. Colorado jumped on it so quickly, you almost have to think it was a little fishy. No, it's not structured all that great, no, it's not the best possible outcome for Colorado, but it's...all done now.

Calgary's GM simply cannot be that dumb to just not realize that he could have lost ROR for nothing. He has to realize that the team might not make the playoffs and might pick in the top-10. He has to realize that the Top-10 player could actually be quite a bit better than ROR.

I just cannot believe that Calgary acted alone in this. I just have a feeling that Colorado's GM decided that nothing else was working and that he'd call in a favor from somebody. It would not at all surprise me to see Calgary "fleece" Colorado in a trade sometime between now and the deadline. Iginla to Colorado for a Kessel-like return or something.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I can't be the only one wondering if the Colorado GM just got fed up with the ROR situation and asked for a favor from the Calgary GM and had the Calgary GM offersheet ROR on behalf of Colorado?

I mean, he asks Calgary because it is in-division and they've likely met eachother in person a few times. Calgary actually looks like they could want him. Colorado jumped on it so quickly, you almost have to think it was a little fishy. No, it's not structured all that great, no, it's not the best possible outcome for Colorado, but it's...all done now.

Calgary's GM simply cannot be that dumb to just not realize that he could have lost ROR for nothing. He has to realize that the team might not make the playoffs and might pick in the top-10. He has to realize that the Top-10 player could actually be quite a bit better than ROR.

I just cannot believe that Calgary acted alone in this. I just have a feeling that Colorado's GM decided that nothing else was working and that he'd call in a favor from somebody. It would not at all surprise me to see Calgary "fleece" Colorado in a trade sometime between now and the deadline. Iginla to Colorado for a Kessel-like return or something.
Why would Feaster knowingly do anything to make himself look bad? His job is already hanging by a thread.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Feaster issued a statement and said they knew about the issue but had a different interpertation then what the NHL put forth this morning. If Feaster knew there was a very grey area here then he should have dealt with the NHL on that question before the offer sheet. I am convinced after his statement that he should be fired for this fiasco.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658072

Old
03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Feaster issued a statement and said they knew about the issue but had a different interpertation then what the NHL put forth this morning. If Feaster knew there was a very grey area here then he should have dealt with the NHL on that question before the offer sheet. I am convinced after his statement that he should be fired for this fiasco.

Exactly...you would think that if there was even a sliver of doubt he would've first consulted with NHL front office before going through with the OS.

This is nothing but him trying to make himself look good after the fact.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

So did Colorado screw up really?

Get a 1st and a 3rd from Calgary, pick up RoR on waivers LOL

Old
03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
So did Colorado screw up really?

Get a 1st and a 3rd from Calgary, pick up RoR on waivers LOL
He would have never made it back to them through waivers but that would have made it even more hilarous

Old
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:

Geez... Risebrough was stupid, but at least he never pulled something like this!

Old
03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Always nice to see Zids fail. Yes, that was an empty netter but the local boy scored!

Closed Thread