HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 08:42 AM
  #176
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,558
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I remember vividly when in 1996 the Russian Five was on ice, Winnipeg Jets idiot fans broke into the "USA! USA!" chant, forgetting that there was another Russian in the game: their own goalie, Khabibulin.
Why would Canadian Winnipeg Jets fans yell U! S! A! for Russians? If something is weird, that is.

I hope those same guys were happy for Canadians loss for USA at 1996 World Cup.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
  #177
Vyacheslav
That one guy
 
Vyacheslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jackson, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,234
vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
You already know I'm against the uneven conferences but if it must be there's 2 things that should change, IMO.

#1. Swap CBJ and CAR with the Florida teams. Or at the absolute worst CBJ with one of them. The Florida teams get screwed there. And CBJ makes a lot more sense in our division then they do.

#2. Scrap divisional playoffs/Wild Card. It's stupid, IMO. The 2 division winners are the 1 and 2 seeds then have the next 6 best teams.




I thought of this too, but then you run into travel issues in the playoffs. The NFL is 1 game on 1 day so it's not a big deal if say New York has to go to San Fran for a playoff game.
Well it does work for MLB. That sort of system would cut down on travel, especially during the season. In a system not based upon east and west, the Red Wings would spend as much time playing their conference rivals in the east as the ones in the west, which is better than always going west. More games in the eastern time zone is a good thing to me.

Vyacheslav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
  #178
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
There actually was conference imbalance back in the 93-94 and 94-95 seasons. 14 teams in the east, 12 teams in the west. That changed when the Nordiques moved to Denver, making it 13 teams in each conference. So if the current proposed plan does go through it's not like this would be a first for the NHL.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
  #179
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Well it does work for MLB. That sort of system would cut down on travel, especially during the season. In a system not based upon east and west, the Red Wings would spend as much time playing their conference rivals in the east as the ones in the west, which is better than always going west. More games in the eastern time zone is a good thing to me.
Come to think of it, teams could play in a given city on back to back nights, and that would cut down on the excuses greatly...and travel too.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
  #180
Redwings 1926
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." guy. Wings have been playing Chicago, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Nashville for so long, it just doesn't make sense to split them all up. I love Boston, Toronto, and Montreal. I really do. But our rivalry's have all historically come out west. The Blackhawks, the Ducks, the Aves, the Sharks, the Blues, the Preds... I don't wanna see that go.
What? None of those "historical rivalries" you speak of can even touch the one the Wings had with Toronto. The Aves rivalry died when Patrick Roy retired. The Ducks? There never really was much of a rivalry there, same with the Sharks. The Preds? They don't really have enough fans. The Blues has always been somewhat of a rivalry, but considered to be much more significant among Blues fans than Red Wings fans, same with the Blackhawks.

Redwings 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
  #181
Redwings 1926
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah seriously thats one of the dumbest chants wing fans could do. Whose the best wing of all time, Gordie Howe. Who brought the franchise back to life after years of trouble, Yzerman.

What American plays a significant role on the wings? Howard and thats it lol there really isnt any good americans in the teams history that are all that note worthy honestly. If the team actually had Americans it would be different butt hey dont and never really have
No noteworthy Americans in Red Wings history? What about Chris Chelios?

And, with all due respect, those players you mentioned above did move to the US.

Redwings 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
  #182
JBauerly97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Can't wait. My brain doesn't function very well after two late night games in a row.

Sounds like they're going to announce an agreement in principle soon according to Nick Kypreos' Twatter.

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
  #183
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Reports are NHL and PA will announce about agreement on realignment soon.

Looking forward to seeing Red Wings in the historic rivalry (and surprisingly, pretty dead even). Winter Classic should be fun too.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
  #184
JBauerly97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
After last night's Mon/Bos game, I'm curious how the Wings will handle the physical play of some of these teams in the East. Wow they can be brutal.

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:52 AM
  #185
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauerly97 View Post
After last night's Mon/Bos game, I'm curious how the Wings will handle the physical play of some of these teams in the East. Wow they can be brutal.
if it happens and we dont get alot tougher as a team we are dead

team toughness is NOT turning the other cheek, thats puss....

if we go East and we deliberately dont add some serious toughness/enforcement to stick up for our skilled guys then I have no problem watching Chara hand it out to our top guys much like he did yesterday against Emelin as thats exactly what i would be telling my guys to do

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
  #186
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauerly97 View Post
After last night's Mon/Bos game, I'm curious how the Wings will handle the physical play of some of these teams in the East. Wow they can be brutal.
It's the same sport, it's the same league, it's the same rulebook. They will be fine.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
  #187
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,710
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
if it happens and we dont get alot tougher as a team we are dead

team toughness is NOT turning the other cheek, thats puss....

if we go East and we deliberately dont add some serious toughness/enforcement to stick up for our skilled guys then I have no problem watching Chara hand it out to our top guys much like he did yesterday against Emelin as thats exactly what i would be telling my guys to do
What Chara did to Emelin didn't exactly come out of the blue. If we have someone level that sort of a crosscheck in Seguin, I'd expect Chara to come after him regardless of who we have on the bench.

The worry shouldn't be Chara coming after someone that cheapshots one of his teammates, but about guys like Emelin cheapshotting us initially. If our special teams were worth a damn, it might be less of an issue.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  #188
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,725
vCash: 545
Our special teams will need to get better.

Physically, I think one more big guy and we'll be fine.

The thing is that in the east our games will get jacked to NBC that much more - and we'll have to listen to Eddie No-check run us down every chance he gets just that much more often.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
  #189
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
The thing is that in the east our games will get jacked to NBC that much more - and we'll have to listen to Eddie No-check run us down every chance he gets just that much more often.
Ugh, yeah.

But hey, more exposure and less travel means maybe Detroit becomes a more appealing FA destination.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
  #190
Jurky
#FireHolland
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Reports are NHL and PA will announce about agreement on realignment soon.
Any updates on this?

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:59 PM
  #191
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,616
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Ugh, yeah.

But hey, more exposure and less travel means maybe Detroit becomes a more appealing FA destination.
Was just going to bring this up. Has this been discussed in the thread already? I feel like Detroit would be more ideal of a location if the travel was minimized, which will happen under the new realignment.

__________________
Hardly Human
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
  #192
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
I am going to try and do a Toronto and Montreal road trip if the Wings schedule allows it. It should be a lot of fun. Going to Chicago to see the Wings play was a great experience, but i am sure it won't compare with Toronto and Montreal.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  #193
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,616
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I am going to try and do a Toronto and Montreal road trip if the Wings schedule allows it. It should be a lot of fun. Going to Chicago to see the Wings play was a great experience, but i am sure it won't compare with Toronto and Montreal.
Come to Ottawa, we will party.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  #194
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Come to Ottawa, we will party.
I have never been. I hear it's a wonderful city and would definitely like to eventually visit every Canadian team's building when they are playing the Wings.

So far i have only been to Vancouver and Calgary.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  #195
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,616
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I have never been. I hear it's a wonderful city and would definitely like to eventually visit every Canadian team's building when they are playing the Wings.

So far i have only been to Vancouver and Calgary.
How were they? I've never been to any games out on the West coast/ western provinces.

Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal are all awesome buildings. You won't regret going. But seriously, if you come to Ottawa I can probably get tickets and we will drink everytime Babs plays an over the hill vet in favour of a youngster. Then we can go to the hospital and get our stomachs pumped (Canadian healthcare amirite?!)

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
  #196
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
How were they? I've never been to any games out on the West coast/ western provinces.

Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal are all awesome buildings. You won't regret going. But seriously, if you come to Ottawa I can probably get tickets and we will drink everytime Babs plays an over the hill vet in favour of a youngster. Then we can go to the hospital and get our stomachs pumped (Canadian healthcare amirite?!)
I didn't think Calgary was all that special. Sight lines seemed pretty good, but we had lower bowl seats.

Vancouver was amazing. The city is so fun and we met some very interesting people. Crazy expensive. I loved the atmosphere inside the arena.

Sorry, but i'm from MERICA!!!!!!!!!! no socialist health care for me.

I am an excellent alcoholic so i am not too worried about getting my stomach pumped.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
  #197
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,616
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I didn't think Calgary was all that special. Sight lines seemed pretty good, but we had lower bowl seats.

Vancouver was amazing. The city is so fun and we met some very interesting people.

Sorry, but i'm from MERICA!!!!!!!!!! no socialist health care for me.

I am an excellent alcoholic so i am not too worried about getting my stomach pumped.
Really, eh. I'd like to go out there some time.

Please don't doubt Mike Babcock's ability to wreck livers. Better men than you or I have succomb to liver cirrhosis from this mans decisions.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
  #198
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,522
vCash: 500
Only a BOG vote away from happening, which should be a formality.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
  #199
SpokedLightning
Tampa Bound
 
SpokedLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont for now
Country: United States
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 167
Welcome back to the East!!

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  #200
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
WE'RE GOING EAST!

**** yeah

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.