HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

Old
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I kind of called this. They wanted to swap Volpatti for someone that plays a more clearly defined role. Volpatti would challenge heavies an not fare to well, this guy is a heavy. His skating ain't bad either.

Gonna be an awkward moment between Kassian and Sestito I'd imagine.

Now the goon lovers can rejoice.
Tom has produced a lot more at lower levels:

42 goals as an 18 year old in OHL
17pts in 32 AHL games

I'm not saying he's going to solve anything offensively but he has some talent. He isn't a goon that put up 4 g 4 a in junior.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
SiCKNESS

I dont mind this, Sestito is Younger, Bigger and more of a physical presence than Volpatti, solid defensivley and much better hands than Volpatti.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
cc

Kassian damaged him pretty good in the fight they had. Nor hard feelings?

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Proto

Am I the only one that's sick of the Canucks pushing this image where they don't cause trouble and play between the whistles? It's not helping them draw more penalties, as NHL officiating simply doesn't work that way. They just even everything out. The Canucks are still being called for chintzy diving penalties. It's a lot of wasted energy, in my opinion, and we no longer seem to throw teams off their game.

I'd prefer to see something like Sestito, Lapierre, and Kassian out there for a few shifts together a game and just tell them to go nuclear. Hit everything that moves, facewash in scrums, yap at people, start fights. Lapierre is a ghost out there right now.

I'm not a big proponent of fights changing momentum, but I do think this team goes through the motions during the regular season, and getting fired up once in awhile would do them some good. Plus I like it when teams hate the Canucks. Every once in awhile you'll get a team off their game and score a few PP goals and win a game you shouldn't.

Heck, it might not help the team win a single game, but I still wish someone would ragdoll Keith when the Hawks are in Vancouver.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
kassassin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I'm sure they didn't waive Volpatti thinking they'd be exchanging him for someone else's waiver wire fodder.

That being said given Sestito is bigger and better at the one thing Volpatti can do at the NHL level I think it's worth seeing how this pans out.

My guess is that when healthy Sestito is our 13th or 14th best forward, just like Peppermint was.
I'm pretty sure they knew they'd lose him to waivers...Volpatti is really the only player on this team that played the body, I can't imainge Sestito will make it there in time to ever play the body consistently. Sure he can fight but who cares!! go back to the Canucks that wanted to beat other teams with Skill...we lost to the Bruins because we were hurt, not because we were small or weak!

kassassin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Tom has produced a lot more at lower levels:

42 goals as an 18 year old in OHL
17pts in 32 AHL games

I'm not saying he's going to solve anything offensively but he has some talent. He isn't a goon that put up 4 g 4 a in junior.
I've seen him at this level, and he's a goon.

A lot of players aren't able to translate their offense from the lower levels. He looks to be one of those.

That said, he can skate for his size, so he should be able to keep up with this team. That's all that's really required. Oh, and fighting of course.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Tiranis

Trying to figure out how this works in terms of roster numbers. Since Pinner was activated and placed on a conditioning loan, he should be a part of the roster in which case Sestito is extra.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
I like it. Sestito is a monster in size.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Proto

Quote:

A lot of players aren't able to translate their offense from the lower levels. He looks to be one of those.

That said, he can skate for his size, so he should be able to keep up with this team. That's all that's really required. Oh, and fighting of course.
Definitely. But if you're going to get a goon, get one that's big and can skate, and put him with a center like Lapierre who can play some defense. For a free pick-up it's fine.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Epimetheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassassin9 View Post
..we lost to the Bruins because we were hurt, not because we were small or weak!
Agree 1000%.People always talk about toughness and grit but we would've won the SC if those darn injuries weren't so frequent.

Epimetheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reign Nateo

He's a bigger, better 4th liner. What's not to like?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Trying to figure out how this works in terms of roster numbers. Since Pinner was activated and placed on a conditioning loan, he should be a part of the roster in which case Sestito is extra.
This upsets me greatly. Pinnizzotto has never played an NHL game and Sestito is a goon-type. Sigh.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
This upsets me greatly. Pinnizzotto has never played an NHL game and Sestito is a goon-type. Sigh.
And Volpatti is what exactly? Sestito is the better (and more useful) player, pure and simple. Younger too.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Find highlights of his game against Tampa this year. Bryz mentioned afterwards that he should now be called 'Sestitov'.

He's a marginal NHL player, bottom six at best.

03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
pitseleh

Quote:

I don't really expect him to score, but he has a vastly more impressive offensive track record than Volpatti does. Hard to imagine this isn't an upgrade in that regard. Couple that with the fact that he's bigger anf younger and I'm not sure what there is not to like with this.

That said, the impact of these interchangeable part fourth liners is essentially immaterial.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:

Goon or not he has still produced superior numbers than Volpatti at the AHL and junior levels. Hell in 30 NHL games over the past three seasons he has 4 goals, 3 assists. Shows that he might pop in 8-10 goals over the course of a full season which I doubt Volpatti could do. Volpatti didn't even produce in the BCHL So i question how people think he has untapped potential or is an elite 4th liner.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassassin9 View Post
I'm pretty sure they knew they'd lose him to waivers...Volpatti is really the only player on this team that played the body, I can't imainge Sestito will make it there in time to ever play the body consistently. Sure he can fight but who cares!! go back to the Canucks that wanted to beat other teams with Skill...we lost to the Bruins because we were hurt, not because we were small or weak!
Skill wise, what was on the SCF run team that's not on this club?

Hodgson wasn't there. Samuelsson was out. Torres is not uber skilled, and Malhotra is the last guy you think will put up offense. Ehrhoff then? Is he the difference between calling this team skilled in 2011 and not skilled now?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
25Bieksa3

Quite pleased about this acquisition. Surprised he made it so far down the waiverwire seeing as Volpatti went almost immediately.

25Bieksa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Not like we're losing much in Volpatti, and both of those players could very well be better than Aaron.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Well, I guess this replaces Volpatti. Can't say I know a great deal about Sestito, but interested to see what he can do in a Canuck uniform. His size and physicality seem like better fits for the fourth line than Ebbett does, IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
arsmaster

He's big, if you're going to leave the 4th line as Lappy, Weise and Sestito (or Kassian) they'll be very hard to take the puck from below the goal line.

This will be good to wear down other teams, basically a younger, less injury prone Byron Bitz (who most wanted to resign after last year).

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Grumbler

Hope hes not a john scott.

Grumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OriginJM
watch out im smart

you guys will like him, he won't do much good (he'll surprise you from time to time) but he hardly does anything bad

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Find highlights of his game against Tampa this year. Bryz mentioned afterwards that he should now be called 'Sestitov'.

He's a marginal NHL player, bottom six at best.
Right, and so is Volpatti and he is bigger and younger.

We are looking at this through the prism of a trade off for Volpatti, not writing our names on the Stanley Cup

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I don't really expect him to score, but he has a vastly more impressive offensive track record than Volpatti does. Hard to imagine this isn't an upgrade in that regard. Couple that with the fact that he's bigger anf younger and I'm not sure what there is not to like with this.

That said, the impact of these interchangeable part fourth liners is essentially immaterial.
He does have a more impressive record in lower leagues, I just don't think it's going to mean much. Offensively, I expect it to be a wash.

Fighting wise, it's an upgrade. All you can really ask for at this point.