Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Dallas Stars Roster Movement

Old
02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
This is a good move. I love that the guy got his 1st NHL goal out of the way, but I think they like what Smith and Roussel are doing. That's why I'm remaining hopeful Morrow is the odd man out.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Fraser was going to go down when Whitney came back so I'm not upset I just hope it really does spell the end of Morrow in Dallas so all of Smith Roussel, Garbutt, and Fraser can be in the lineup soon.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
BigG44

Texas has two homes games this weekend, and the most recent reports on Larsen are he's day-to-day and not far off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a roster move today probably sending Oleksiak back to the AHL.

Also ...

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
Tom Wandell clears waivers, assigned to Texas Stars (AHL).
He's no longer on conditioning assignment.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a roster move today probably sending Oleksiak back to the AHL.
Better be Jordie.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:45 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Better be Jordie.
Neither one is ready for full time NHL time, and I'd rather Oleksiak get back to dominating the AHL where he belongs. No reason to delay the inevitable. He needs to keep developing confidence with Texas.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Neither one is ready for full time NHL time, and I'd rather Oleksiak get back to dominating the AHL where he belongs. No reason to delay the inevitable. He needs to keep developing confidence with Texas.
Idk, I think he's NHL ready. I think he has a ton of confidence in the AHL and dominates there, but hasn't quite adjusted to the NHL game. I think the only remedy for that is time and experience.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I would say he's got growing pains. I know we're tired of hearing that, but seriously there is some adjustment. It's just terrible that the rest of the d corps are absolutely **** awful and we can't shelter him for a dozen more games.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I would say he's got growing pains. I know we're tired of hearing that, but seriously there is some adjustment. It's just terrible that the rest of the d corps are absolutely **** awful and we can't shelter him for a dozen more games.
That's the problem. I'm OK with growing pains. They're natural, especially for a 20 year old. There's absolutely no need to rush the guy, and with the way the team has played the last 6 games those growing pains could easily turn into confidence issues. Dillon is older and playing with a ton of confidence so he's fine IMO. The transition isn't as difficult for the forwards IMO, and they've been building confidence.

There isn't a veteran D on the team right IMO that would be good for bringing Oleksiak along. They aren't going to break up Robidas and Dillon right now so that leaves Goligoski or Daley. Oleksiak isn't going to save the season by himself. If the team shoes up the D position it might make sense to bring him back ... the way it is now ... it's safer for him in the AHL.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Pretty much that. Or we go get Bouwmeester and put him with Oleksiak.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Pretty much that. Or we go get Bouwmeester and put him with Oleksiak.
That'd be fine, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a move this team has done before ... Norstrom for Grossman.

Bouwmeester might not be a realistic target for the reasons I've already stated elsewhere, but there's probably someone who could get the job done.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Captain Awesome

Someone was talking about Leafs D-men, how bad is Gardiner's concussion issue? I saw the guy play in the NCAA and wasn't the least bit surprised when he effortlessly broke into the NHL with the Leafs. I'd love to have him if he wasn't damaged goods and this might be a good 'buy low' time to get him.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Oleksiak is at least showing more signs of confidence. A bit of physicality and last night made a couple of nice passes in transition and even carried the puck up, dished, and crashed the net. Stuff we didn't see in his first few games.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
That'd be fine, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a move this team has done before ... Norstrom for Grossman.

Bouwmeester might not be a realistic target for the reasons I've already stated elsewhere, but there's probably someone who could get the job done.
Probably.

Ultimately though, this team has issues that need to be addressed. I have a big ol ranty post sitting at home that i will finish in an hour...

Food for thought: taking benn away from jagr

Old
03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Calgary isn't selling Bouwmeester. They're just like us with the deluded belief that this year will be different and they'll get in.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Calgary isn't selling Bouwmeester. They're just like us with the deluded belief that this year will be different and they'll get in.
They also aren't selling him because he'll only be 30 when next season starts and with another year on his deal. There is no good reason for them to trade him, whether they see the playoffs this season as a possibility or not.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
They also aren't selling him because he'll only be 30 when next season starts and with another year on his deal. There is no good reason for them to trade him, whether they see the playoffs this season as a possibility or not.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but he's a guy that's been rumored to be available for the last couple years. Until this season, he wasn't living up to being a $6 million man. He's always been a big minute eater, but there's some offensive expectations that come with that type of money. They could potentially look at this as an opportunity to sell high if they ever decided at some point this year to rebuild. I don't think he's an untouchable basically.

If they're in or almost in the playoffs ... they obviously don't move him IMO. When you start talking about looking towards the future though, I don't think it's a sure thing they hang on to him.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

G you follow this stuff way more than I do is there a disadvantage to say buying out a guy on his ELC, beyond just giving him his money up front?

Take for example a guy like Wathier. He's probably a good player for the AHL team but he's not really NHL material. Can he be bought out of his NHL contract and sign a new AHL one to clear up a space? Also what about a guy like Gadzic? He's an RFA but I assume Dallas either won't offer him a contract or if they do it will be strictly a Texas Stars AHL one right?

There are several guys who have contracts that Dallas just might be better off cutting than allow the limit to prevent them from signing a few undrafted FAs. King, Labrie, Peterson, Wathier are the ones that stand out the most.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:03 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
G you follow this stuff way more than I do is there a disadvantage to say buying out a guy on his ELC, beyond just giving him his money up front?

Take for example a guy like Wathier. He's probably a good player for the AHL team but he's not really NHL material. Can he be bought out of his NHL contract and sign a new AHL one to clear up a space? Also what about a guy like Gadzic? He's an RFA but I assume Dallas either won't offer him a contract or if they do it will be strictly a Texas Stars AHL one right?

There are several guys who have contracts that Dallas just might be better off cutting than allow the limit to prevent them from signing a few undrafted FAs. King, Labrie, Peterson, Wathier are the ones that stand out the most.
We talked about this in the Texas thread. It doesn't make sense. You buy them out of 2/3rds of their NHL salary which is just wasteful when you can pay them a rather small AHL salary and just get it over with.

Also, I don't know about rules when it comes to signing an AHL contract after a buyout. Seems like you probably would be able to do that, but it doesn't matter. Most AHL teams don't have the cash to pay veterans top dollar. That's why the NHL club does it. Wathier probably could get another two-way deal with a different NHL club.

With Gazdic they have to offer him a NHL deal or he becomes an UFA. You have to offer the exact same terms as the previous year to a RFA (plus 5% or 10% in some cases on NHL salary) to retain negotiating rights. It's not important to look up the exact details so lets just say Gazdic's ELC paid him $500,000 in NHL salary and $50,000 in AHL salary. At minimum, Dallas has to offer a two year deal paying $550K NHL and $50K AHL.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
BigG44

With the road trip coming back and Larsen returning to full practice on Tuesday, I imagine they'll keep both Benn and Oleksiak until ht end of the road trip now.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
BigG44

Quote:

The Dallas Stars have recalled LW Francis Wathier from the Texas Stars of the AHL.
I doubt anyone is hurt. They only had 12 healthy forwards with the news yesterday that Whitney isn't ready. He's probably insurance for the trip. Wandell missed last nights with a possible illness in the AHL.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Bluesoma

Hmmm....I guess Wathier is more expendable for Texas so he can sit in the box in Dallas as a "just in case"

Bluesoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Hmmm....I guess Wathier is more expendable for Texas so he can sit in the box in Dallas as a "just in case"
It's just a guess, but if Wandell didn't have an illness, he probably would have been the one to come up. He was a last second scratch last night.

Their center position has taken a hit though.

Dowling left the game against OKC, and then he didn't play last night. Wathier has been called up, and he was playing center. Vause took a puck to the face in the 1st period last night, and he was centering the 2nd line. He didn't return for the 2nd, and I didn't watch the 3rd so IDK if he came back.

Hopefully Wandell's illness is short term, and he can play this week. Dowling was only listed as questionable so he could return soon as well.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Bluesoma

Well...they have a couple of days to rest as the next Texas game is Friday.

I wasn't at the game last night so I have no idea how bad Vause's injury is but yeah Texas is hurting badly from all the injuries.

I wouldn't doubt Texas bringing in someone for a PTO right now for center depending on bad Dowling and Vause are injured.

Bluesoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 PM
BigG44

Someone must be hurt:

Quote:

Stars recall Matt Fraser from AHL.
.... probably smaller possibility is a trade is coming.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Someone must be hurt:

.... probably smaller possibility is a trade is coming.
have they sent wathier down?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote