HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Hall has just been traded in a three team deal...

Old
07-19-2006, 08:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Don't you all think it's funny Shero didn't want Hall? A guy Shero has been watching for years.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
CronoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
as an outsider looking in, I woulda thought you guys could get more for Hall.
ditto.

also, many people say that this deal and the Walker trade opens up a spot for Radulov in the lineup, but where do you see him playing? It seems like Kariya/Arnott/(Sullivan or Erat) would be a great top line and (Erat or Sullivan)/Legwand/Hartnell would round out the rest of the top 6. Where do you see Radulov fitting? Would playing on the 3rd/4th line be better than spending time on a top line in the AHL?

CronoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile and Trotz want to run more of an attacking team this year, rolling out three scoring lines, so yes, Radulov would be fine on the 3rd line.

Old
07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
braindead

Man, I go to Alaska for a couple of weeks and you sign Arnott and Mason and trade Hall and Walker.......I think I'll head north again for a month. Our team is getting busted on for getting a 3rd round pick for Hall (forget Pivko throw-in...I have a better chance of playing for the Preds. At least I plan on living in North America next year). I personally love the move and don't really care if Hall pans out in NY. This month has been all about changing the dynamics of the team. I think the "new NHL" lesson that Poile is taking from other teams like Buffalo and to a lesser extent San Jose and Carolina, is that you can (1) roll three scoring lines, and(2) win with young players. I like it.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Anyone think that because we just opened up about $1 million in our self-imposed budget that we might see one of our other RFA's signed to a multi-year contract in the near future?

We still have Martin Erat, David Legwand, and Scott Hartnell heading to arbitration and have to resign Dan Hamhuis still as well. I would like to see all four of them getting multi-year contracts if possible and I think this opens up a little more room in the budget for that to happen by moving two players that no longer fit into our plans.
I was thinking the same thing, SL.
Yesterday, Poile said it is now time for the young leaders....Hamhuis, Hartnell, and Erat to step up into leadership on the team......I'm betting all three get multiyear contracts with what we have seen happen in the last couple days.....I got a strange feeling, Legwand goes all the way through with the arbitration.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Stars-Preds

This is a very strange trade. Seems like we did a whole lot of extra work to get a third round pick. I like getting an extra pick in the first three rounds, but Hall and Pivko?

Ah well, maybe we pick up a decent prospect with that third rounder.

Best thing about this trade ... it actually appears the Preds will give Radulov a look at a top-6 spot in Nashville next season!

a Kariya-Arnott-Radulov OR a Sullivan-Legwand-Radulov line would look pretty awesome next season! Bring on October.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
handtrick

Where are all the people biatching about Poile sitting with his thumbs up his arse now....me included....lol.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Levitate

I get the feeling the trade went down like this because NY didn't want to give up a draft pick and Pittsburgh didn't want Hall and wouldn't give up a pick for just Pivko. The Rangers seem to like their draft picks these days...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Where are all the people biatching about Poile sitting with his thumbs up his arse now....me included....lol.
True, but its not like he made an astounding trade. Most fans think we have lost every deal dating back to the Witt deal.....granted, fans generally know nothing, but I think these were moves that had to be made regardless of who was in charge. I'm pleased with the decisions, but I still think Poile is by and large one of the more slow-moving GMs in the league...for good or ill.

07-19-2006, 11:30 PM
dulzhok

Poile/Trotz screwed this one up. I cannot believe that when Trtoz was "brainstorming lines" to the media the other day he just plain left Hall out of the lineup. Talk about showing your hand.

We moved Hall for the the least return possible. Atleast hold on to him to use as part of bigger deal. What's the rush to get a 3rd round draft pick in the middle of July?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Poile/Trotz screwed this one up. I cannot believe that when Trtoz was "brainstorming lines" to the media the other day he just plain left Hall out of the lineup. Talk about showing your hand.

We moved Hall for the the least return possible. Atleast hold on to him to use as part of bigger deal. What's the rush to get a 3rd round draft pick in the middle of July?
Arbitration......

Old
07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Arbitration......
I suppose your right, but I can't see him getting over a mil.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe that was part of the issue, maybe he and his agent thought he was worth more.

Old
07-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Dulzhok, you have a level head on you (save for issues dealing with Legwand ). Do you honestly feel that Poile, if he so desired, could not just sign a player similar to Adam Hall off the free agent market at just about the same cost? Hall lost a lot of value this past season when his speed was exposed, and he stopped playing a physical game. He is so gentlemanly sometimes, that he simply isn't a true banger. I think he can be a decent third line forward, but he has to be willing to use his body, which he absolutely did not do last year. When Taylor Pyatt was traded for a fourth rounder, from Vancouver no less, I assumed Adam's market value would take another hit. In all honesty, I would much rather trade for Pyatt than Hall as an opposing GM.....Pyatt is bigger, can skate, and while the jury is out on his offense...he can do what Hall does on a consistent basis if given the PP time that Hall recieved here.

The reason we moved Hall was to free up roster spots for better players. In that, I am pleased with Poile's decision.

Last edited by Enoch: 07-19-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
AL-Canadian

I think its a great trade. As noted, Poile likes to stockpile draft picks in the 1st couple of rounds of 'quality drafts' and if the scouting department can find another Weber, Klein type player with a high 3rd rounder, that would be sweet. I believe we need to evaluate this trade several years down the road.

Hall is barely a 15-15 type player, with a 'girlie-man' approach to playing lately. He wasn't going to contribute very much and as several people noted (and wished for), this opens up some serious minutes for Upshall and possibly a sooner eta for Radulov.

I'm not going to give Poile an "A" for these last two deals, but he has definitely earned a solid "B" for upgrading the Preds center depth (Joe V) and creating a clearer sense of his top 3 forward lines. Additionally, the high 3rd in a quality draft could turn out to be another top 50 rated prospect with the Preds' scouting ability.

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
DJ Spinoza

I don't think this was that bad of a trade for Nashville. Pivko was going to be gone anyways and Hall was moved to make room for other wingers.

As mentioned the 07 draft is pretty deep and a third rounder could be a solid player. At worst you probably get a calibre of player similar to Hall/Moore/Pivko who is younger and you can let develop.

All three teams accomplished specific goals with this deal. Yours was just the unsexiest to fans.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
JussiM

Hmm, okay...

Freed up rosters spots so I guess the trade is fine.

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:05 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
As others have said, this frees money to lock up Hartnell, Erat, Legwand, etc. Then down the road, we can work on Suter, Hamhuis, Weber, etc. Interesting comment on the ESPN.com chat yesterday that fits right in with this:

Quote:
Travis (Canada): Nashville is a dark horse for a quality cup run over the next few years, yes or no and why?

E.J. Hradek: I think Nashville is a legit contender. They have good young players, especially on defense. They have a world class goaltender. Hopefully, Vokoun's health won't stop him from being back in goal for the Preds this season. That said, the new system could hurt the Predators down the road, because it will be tough for them to keep all of the good young players like Ryan Sutter, Weber, Hartnell, etc. when they start having free agent leverage in their contract talks. For now, I think the Preds are legit.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12333

biscuithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
94now

This trade has very little sense for Preds. NYR defenseman (Richter, Pock?) to Nashville is missing here. It might be coming later.
I liked Dom Moore. Good legs, hands and head. Soft like European, though.
Well, I have to admit, there is nothing wrong with this trade at all. Shanahan got his RW, I guess.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This trade has very little sense for Preds. NYR defenseman (Richter, Pock?) to Nashville is missing here. It might be coming later.
I liked Dom Moore. Good legs, hands and head. Soft like European, though.
Well, I have to admit, there is nothing wrong with this trade at all. Shanahan got his RW, I guess.
We dumped dead weight. This team had outgrown Hall and had no place for him. He's slow, passive and very limitted, offensively.

I doubt you'll see the predators trade of offensive defensemen or smaller 2way guys. If we traded for a defenseman it would be a larger stay at home experienced guy, that's would have to be more talented than Klein.

Old
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
OK, I've had a night to sleep on it and still my opinion of the trade has not changed. It was a salary dump and a move to clear a roster spot for one of our younger wingers that are ready for the NHL and have shown more talent than Adam Hall.

Enoch made a great point with Vancouver trading a fourth rounder to Buffalo for Taylor Pyatt. I agree wholeheartedly that I would probably trade for Pyatt before I would trade for Hall because of Pyatt's still untapped offensive upside. Neither one is going to be an impact player in the league, but I simply like Pyatt from what I have seen of him. We were probably offered a 4th round pick from the Penguins for Moore and with Poile knowing that Shero liked Pivko and that Libor was heading over to Europe this summer...he offered him in addition to Moore for the third round pick. As mentioned, this is probably going to be a high third-rounder and we stand a very good chance at picking up a quality prospect to restock our cupboards as we begin to lose some of our younger players in the upcoming years due to free agency.

I would hate to further any talk about Poile being passive because I simply think it is very petty and believe that regardless of how aggressive he is, Poile is still one of the top GM's in the league...but...anyone think that Shero initiated this trade? Maybe Shero inquired about Moore (knowing that the Rangers have a couple of young centers ready for NHL time next season and that Moore has more ability than a fourth line center) and Sather told him he wanted to get bigger on the wing. Shero turns around and remembers that Poile was looking to free up some space on the wing this summer and that Hall is going to arbitration...so he offers Poile a 4th for Hall...Poile knowing that Pivko is heading to Europe if he is not moved and is simply taking up a spot on the organization's contract list says...I'll throw in Pivko if you up it to a 3rd. Shero agrees and tells Poile to trade Hall to the Rangers for Domenic Moore and then trade Moore and Pivko to Pittsburgh for the 3rd rounder. It just makes more sense this way. I'm sure Poile has been shopping around Hall (probably tried to get Vasicek for Hall) and either Sather called and said let's make a deal or Shero used this opportunity to fill his need for a third line center.

Again, the Predators look like the losers here the past two days...but...we got bigger and stronger up the middle while opening up a spot on the wing for a talented youngster with the first trade and dumped salary and opened a second slot on the wing with the second trade. I like the moves...they are not sexy, but they are quality moves.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I doubt you'll see the predators trade of offensive defensemen or smaller 2way guys. If we traded for a defenseman it would be a larger stay at home experienced guy, that's would have to be more talented than Klein.
Agreed. If we were to acquire a defenseman from the Rangers, I would actually like to see the Predators acquire Bryce Lampman from the Rangers, but that is because I saw him in Hartford and really like him a lot. Lampman though has had some injury issues the past two seasons and is an older verison of Klein who is less physical...so that wouldn't work.

Regardless, our sole roster "need" remains getting an experienced physical defenseman for the 7th d-man role. Honestly, I don't think we are going to make another move to address that "need" because I don't think we need to at this point and I believe that Yonkman will be given the opportunity to be that person if he performs at training camp.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 15000
Im not upset, Hall was the invizible man on the ice for most of last season.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
C-J Carlson

Adam Hall/Dominic Moore for a third rounder. Libor Pivko for the "future considerations" we owed Pittsburgh for Steve Parsons.

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:21 PM
nashtrash25

Guys like Adam Hall are a dime a dozen. We're not talking about an All-Star; just another guy.

If you trade him and desire a player in return, you're not going to get much. Honestly, what kind of defenseman do you really think Poile could have gotten for Adam Hall? Certainly nobody who would have made an impact.

Everyone on this board has complained about not finding full-time roster spots for Upshall and to a lesser degree Tootoo. Now you've got Radulov in the mix -- and believe me, he will be in the NHL very soon.

As far as the Walker/Vasicek deal, great move. The biggest position of weakness on the team has been improved significantly and *could* potentially become a strength. If Vasicek is healthy, and your top 3 centers are Arnott/Vasicek/Legwand, you've done exactly what we said needed to be done in building a more balanced team that has three good lines all able to attack.

Hall didn't fit this team as much IMO, and both Upshall and Radulov will be better players than him quickly if not right now. Walker really disappointed me last year, though I know injuries had a lot to do with it. Still, I don't see any way our team is worse because of this deal.

And as far as only getting a third rounder, I can only say I'd rather have the pick than a player. Poile has a lot of draft pick ammo for 07 -- picks that I'm sure will come in handy around the trading deadline if we're looking to pick up a player or two.

Last edited by nashtrash25: 07-20-2006 at 03:28 PM.
nashtrash25 is offline   Reply With Quote