HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Reclamation Project
Came Back Haunted

vCash: 500
This is fitting lol...

Old
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Sherman comes out of this looking like a complete idiot. Apparently the Avs received better offers than the 1st and 3rd. Then why didn't they trade him? They wanted to keep him you say? Then why didn't they pay him? If paying him what he wants is better than losing him, do it. The Avs backed themselves into a corner and have nobody to blame but themselves. Basically O'Reilly got what he wanted and the Av's lost 18 games of his services and gained the opportunity to pay him 6.5 million starting next year, that's just brutal

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 02-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The issue I would have as a GM, and why I wouldn't have matched isn't whether the picks are worth the player, but rather if the player is worth the RFA qualifier. You aren't just choosing between a player or draft picks, you are also choosing a $6.5 million cap hit down the road, unless you can get him to resign cheaper which is anything but a guarantee.

Not only that, but if I'm Duchene or Lendeskog, I play hardball with Colorado. If ROR can get an offer sheet, they definately can, and how can they not match on those two if they matched ROR?
Pretty much opened a can of worms there. Those two are worth way more than O'Reilly and everyone knows it. I guess this is one of the drawbacks of getting high end draft pick so many years in a row. Going to be a ugly off season for the AVS.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Pretty much opened a can of worms there. Those two are worth way more than O'Reilly and everyone knows it. I guess this is one of the drawbacks of getting high end draft pick so many years in a row. Going to be a ugly off season for the AVS.
they still have 1 more years to sort things out, but yea if i'm landeskog or dechene i ask for the max.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Avs have been poorly managed and utter garbage since the introduction of the salary cap. They used to be one of the most dominant teams in the NHL. Now they're a team with no identity and no direction.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Tough spot for the Avs though.

If they don't match the offer sheet (which is what I would have done) then they are letting a premier young talent leave for a questionable first (no way of knowing how things will work) and a 3rd. Now don't get me wrong, I would have let ROR walk and taken the picks but they were in a tough spot.

I have always thought that the compensation on offer sheets was too low. Basing it entirely around the amount of money on offer allows for this situation to happen. Clearly RoR wasn't going to sign in CO unless he had to or he would have by now. Had the compensation been two first round picks plus a compensatory pick based on the players production up to the point of the offersheet then it would at least be a way of garnering fair value.

Not a perfect science but I think it would at least be a basis for something that is more fair for the team that had originally drafted the player on offer. I mean you could make it more compensation based on where the player was drafted to make it fair. An example would be if an offer for a player drafted in the top 5 happened the compensation could automatically be an additional 1st rd pick or 3 automatic 1st rd picks and then compensatory picks based around performance.

Not an exact science like I said but my point would be that the compensation for sniping a top young talent from another team should be so expensive that you would only do it if you simply had to have that specific player and were willing to pay the price to get them.

Or you could simply take away the sliding scale of the entire thing and make it 3 first rd picks and 2 nds and let it go at that. If a player like DD could have been sniped via offer sheet it would have cost about the same (whatever the $7mper compensation was).

Meh.

RoR is a good young player but if I am the Avs I would have done everything possible to deal him and avoided this situation.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The way Calgary is this season though...and all the reports of this being a draft class that is heavily front loaded with excellent talent...I would have rolled the dice with having two possible top 10 picks. As it stands right now Colorado would have the 5th overall...Calgary the 8th.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
The way Calgary is this season though...and all the reports of this being a draft class that is heavily front loaded with excellent talent...I would have rolled the dice with having two possible top 10 picks. As it stands right now Colorado would have the 5th overall...Calgary the 8th.
This. Even if Calgary improves, they are likely at worst a mid-1st. And given the new draft lottery, any team outside the playoffs gets a shot at first overall. I'd have taken that 1st.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Reclamation Project
Came Back Haunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Exactly. Plus, that third could hide a gem!

Old
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Feaster said he's not done. So what do we have to give? Penner for a first?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Reclamation Project
Came Back Haunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Well, they are in a 'win now' mode so... Richardson for Iginla+. Straight up.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Not done what? Trying to wreck his teams future?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Trying? They've done that already. That organization has been set back for many years and have zilch in the pipeline in terms of players who are close to NHL ready or projected to become NHLers.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Not trying, doing. Their owner just doesn't care about the future.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

100% agree with you guys ^

That team needed to rebuild and instead brought in a guy who made his legacy by going all out to win at all costs and amanged to succeed once in Tampa Bay, largely because of the foundation built by his predecessors. Remember dealing the 4th overall pick for Ruslan Fedotenko? Yeah, he had a monster playoff, but no way anyone would have known he'd score 12 goals that post-season.

There's a reason Tampa Bay sank so quickly after their championship, and it wasn't just because of the cap. His regime couldn't draft worth crap. He was GM from 2002 to 2008 (stepped down prior to the draft), and their best draft picks, were Paul Ranger, Mike Lundin and Nick Tarnasky. In fact, they had just three 1sts under his regime, and those 1st rounders were Andy Rogers, Vladimir Machalek and Riku Helenius. Rogers retired without ever reaching the NHL and the other two had a combined 16 games. Dreadful. No wonder he wanted to move his picks.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:22 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Trying? They've done that already. That organization has been set back for many years and have zilch in the pipeline in terms of players who are close to NHL ready or projected to become NHLers.
The team was ruined by the coach that led us to the cup. Feasted started with bad cards. I am surprised he would want that job. Ownership is making him look horrible.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:17 AM
redcard

The funny thing about Calgary is that the rebuilding question has been around for years now, and they're still fighting it.

Had they just started the rebuild three years ago when the conversation started they'd be miles ahead of where they are now.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

OK, to me, this is a fireable offense. Apparently since O'Reilly played in the KHL after the NHL regular season started, if the Avs's decided not to match the Flames offer, HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO CLEAR WAVERS!!!! So O'Reilly was NEVER going to play for the Flames, and Feester was very close to losing his first and third round draft picks for NOTHING!!!! You seriously can't make this **** up

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Old
03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yeah, that would have been insane. Pretty remarkable that the Flames didn't know this. They would have certainly lost their 1st and 3rd for nothing.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
03-01-2013, 12:22 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Feaster is a moron. So is Sherman for not picking up on that and taking advantage.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:25 PM
bobafettish*

isn't sherman also an idiot for not knowing this and matching.

calgary without ROR pretty much means lottery pick.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Scottkmlps

So doesn't he have to go through waivers regardless?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Feaster is an idiot.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
So doesn't he have to go through waivers regardless?
I don't think so because he's RFA for the Avs.

I am curious if the Denver media out here will bother to report this. They are such homers. Stay tuned.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:34 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Feaster should wear a clown costume to work and only communicate with a clown horn.

Closed Thread