HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Can the Devils please stop screwing around and just beat the Jets in 60?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
The Couturier Effect

Wow I'm surprised they matched that quickly.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
BernieParent

It's pretty disconcerting what DiPietro had to say about being demoted. I hope the Islanders org takes it seriously despite him saying he was joking.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It's pretty disconcerting what DiPietro had to say about being demoted. I hope the Islanders org takes it seriously despite him saying he was joking.
I don't think anyone can joke about something like that without the thought crossing their mind at some point in their life

Old
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
bennysflyers16

Devs and Pens stink, we need a run at 1st.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I don't think anyone can joke about something like that without the thought crossing their mind at some point in their life
The reporter is a dbag who drummed up the DiPietro quote in order to get more retweets and more press.

Anyone who hears the actual quote/interview can't seriously think that DiPietro considered suicide.

The reporter asked "Was there a point where everything wasn't fun because of everything you were going through?"

His full quote was "There's been times where I thought about driving my car into a tree or off the throngs neck bridge. I've had a lot of dark times. Luckily for me I've had a great support system, I have a great wife." Then he laughs and says "She's been like the drill sergeant through the whole thing, you know? Stay strong." And then he continues on.

It's pretty clear he was trying to show how important his wife is and not that he actually considered suicide. Generally people who are actually suicidal don't talk about driving their car into a tree.

But beyond that, this reporter is a total jerk. Either he realized that DiPietro's quote wasn't to be taken literally and went ahead and tweeted that Dipi considered suicide anyway in order to get himself some more press, or this guy legitimately thought DiPietro confessed to him that he considered suicide and then the reporter didn't ask a single follow up question about those dark times, but rather moved on to more probing and insightful questions like "Do you think playing down here (in the AHL) will help you focus more".

I'm more inclined to believe that this reporter isn't a total idiot and realized DiPietro wasn't to be taken serious and therefore didn't ask any follow up questions because he knew he had that little quotable nugget that would get him tons of retweets and quotes in national media articles.

But that's just me.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-01-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Site rule #4, edited remark
Old
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
The reporter is a dbag who drummed up the DiPietro quote in order to get more retweets and more press.

Anyone who hears the actual quote/interview can't seriously think that DiPietro considered suicide.

The reporter asked "Was there a point where everything wasn't fun because of everything you were going through?"

His full quote was "There's been times where I thought about driving my car into a tree or off the throngs neck bridge. I've had a lot of dark times. Luckily for me I've had a great support system, I have a great wife." Then he laughs and says "She's been like the drill sergeant through the whole thing, you know? Stay strong." And then he continues on.

It's pretty clear he was trying to show how important his wife is and not that he actually considered suicide. Generally people who are actually suicidal don't talk about driving their car into a tree.

But beyond that, this reporter is a total jerk. Either he realized that DiPietro's quote wasn't to be taken literally and went ahead and tweeted that Dipi considered suicide anyway in order to get himself some more press, or this guy legitimately thought DiPietro confessed to him that he considered suicide and then the reporter didn't ask a single follow up question about those dark times, but rather moved on to more probing and insightful questions like "Do you think playing down here (in the AHL) will help you focus more".

I'm more inclined to believe that this reporter isn't a total idiot and realized DiPietro wasn't to be taken serious and therefore didn't ask any follow up questions because he knew he had that little quotable nugget that would get him tons of retweets and quotes in national media articles.

But that's just me.
Spot on. I heard more of the interview last night, and the part about his wife being the drill sergeant nicely counterbalanced the statements about driving his car into a tree or off a bridge. Like him or not, DiPietro can't find it easy for his body to fail him so completely, after having been touted as an elite athlete.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Krishna

Benn had a nasty crosscheck yesterday

Hell probably get a game or two

Old
03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
MrHockey1982

LOL!!

Old
03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

LOL!!

Old
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Calgary: the Av-nots.

From a PR standpoint, the Flames FO come out looking bold to their fanbase. And they get to keep what arguably should be a top-10 1st rounder.
The Flames handled this brilliantly. This is exactly why the offer sheet route should be used more often. They either get a promising young player, or they hose a divisional rival in terms of cap space and force their hand. Now the Avs get a $5 million cap hit that they can't move for a year. And the Flames look good from a PR standpoint, as well as keeping their picks for a guy who's not at the $5 million a year level yet.

And how often do we say the Flames did ANYTHING well?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

if the Avs would of declined to match RoR the Flames would of had to put him on waivers to get him in a CGY sweater.
Imagine if that would of happened. Imagine if Holmgren would of done that.
a 1ST and a 3RD to watch a guy play somewhere else.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if the Avs would of declined to match RoR the Flames would of had to put him on waivers to get him in a CGY sweater.
that rumor was quickly put to rest by the mainboard.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
kicksave27

I still can't believe Ovy didn't get a dive call on that one, that was just embarrassing.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Why would they have to put him on waivers?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Jtown

now tsn and sportsnet are saying the same thing?

this is the worst loophole in the cba if true.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
now tsn and sportsnet are saying the same thing?

this is the worst loophole in the cba if true.
Not entirely. Like the TSN story noted, we saw the same thing with Nabokov. I'll bet Feaster is hyperventilating into a paper bag right now. That would have been disastrous for the Flames: burning (so to speak!) a probable top-10 1st and 3rd in a great draft year, only to have the player snatched up by another team. Wow! Feaster would have been tarred and feathered by Flames fans.

Missed headline opportunity when Avalanche matched the offer: Feaster Famine

Old
03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

LOL!!

Well done.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Not entirely. Like the TSN story noted, we saw the same thing with Nabokov. I'll bet Feaster is hyperventilating into a paper bag right now. That would have been disastrous for the Flames: burning (so to speak!) a probable top-10 1st and 3rd in a great draft year, only to have the player snatched up by another team. Wow! Feaster would have been tarred and feathered by Flames fans.
Missed headline opportunity when Avalanche matched the offer: Feaster Famine
He probably will be anyway; that's an incredible mistake.

03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Garbage Goal

That's a hilariously bad mistake. About as bad as Homer not realizing Pronger was a 35+ contract.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
PALE PWNR

The ruling makes no sense. If the Flames would have had to put him on waivers to get him to play then so should the Av's. It should go both ways. Either he is waiver exempt or he is not, why would this memorandum of understanding exclusively list RFA players for only their own team as exempt to waivers if they play past the start of the NHL in Europe but not allow the same courtesy to a team offersheeting, said RFA? The only reason an RFA wouldn't sign with his team before the start of the NHL season and the only reason they would make him exempt is because of an ongoing contract dispute, in which an offersheet is a valid way of resolving it. So why would they leave that obvious loophole in the CBA?

Old
03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
The ruling makes no sense. If the Flames would have had to put him on waivers to get him to play then so should the Av's. It should go both ways. Either he is waiver exempt or he is not, why would this memorandum of understanding exclusively list RFA players for only their own team as exempt to waivers if they play past the start of the NHL in Europe but not allow the same courtesy to a team offersheeting, said RFA? The only reason an RFA wouldn't sign with his team before the start of the NHL season and the only reason they would make him exempt is because of an ongoing contract dispute, in which an offersheet is a valid way of resolving it. So why would they leave that obvious loophole in the CBA?
From the old CBA:

Quote:
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
Amendment in the new CBA:

Quote:
All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.
Essentially the new amendment was made so a team could sign their own RFA, without subjecting the player to waivers if he began the NHL season in another league.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
From the old CBA:

Amendment in the new CBA:

Essentially the new amendment was made so a team could sign their own RFA, without subjecting the player to waivers if he began the NHL season in another league.
I understand what the difference is what I'm saying is the ruling makes no sense, if you are going to allow a team to sign their own RFA and be exempt of the rule then a player signing an offersheet should be treated the same way or there should be no exemption at all. How is that fair to the RFA player it basically eliminates an RFA's possibility of getting an offersheet, afterall why would a GM risk giving up picks to simply see said player walk when another team claims him off waivers

Old
03-01-2013, 02:56 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

^

An added bonus of restricted free agent status, I guess...

And it only applies if the player has started the NHL season in a different league. Had Calgary signed O'Reilly to the offer sheet in the off-season, he wouldn't have had to clear waivers to play for the Flames.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 03-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Mason... you had to suck on that one...

Closed Thread