HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part L |All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Suter and Parise.

The posterboys (so far) for the dangers of chasing 'big ticket' UFAs.

Enjoy the decade to come, Wild fans.
And Craig Leopold fought hard to reduce player rights during the lockout as one of Bettman's hawks (along with "let's spend to the cap, hand out dumb deals and not rebuild" Mr. Murray Edwards of the Flames by the way). Why? So he could make his big ticket UFA signings and then throw it away when they didn't play well or he felt like it? Probably that and also cause he could. That's all. Just did it to take as many concessions as possible without totally canceling the season, the goal of the NHL from the very start IMO. This wasn't 2005 where it was perhaps a needed purging. This was as greedy and casual as it gets. Players could've avoided it too don't get me wrong. But not as easily.

Taking an early offer would've emboldened the NHL to try this again. With their ownership group and commish, you give an inch and they'll try to take a mile. Owners basically threw an untenable low ball offer in Sept. (11% rollback on salaries, 5 year term limits, eliminating guaranteed deals and arbitration. In what ****ing world or CBA in any business does that constitute a serious offer?). Non-guaranteed contracts are bad for the sport cause owners turn into drunken sailors with no willingness to honour their demands. Now, when a player fails to live up to their end (Gomez) you can just cut em aside if you bite the bullet. i don't shed a single tear for Gomer now making 800 grand on top of his buyout money and looking like his NHL career is done as he's become useless for San Jose too.

Whatever personal problems he might have, he's got the cash to afford the therapy. Something average folk don't have. But yeah we'll be back in 8 years when the owners elect to end the CBA and go lock out the players crowing to fans about "health of the game" and "rising costs" they're responsible for mostly. By then Leopold will really be hurting with those Suter/Parise signings, aka Drury/Gomez part 2. And guess what? It won't be the owners from teams run properly or in big markets. We'll put the ****ing league on hold and sabotage it just to save the little guys who can't do business properly or shouldn't even have a hockey team.

NHL is easily the stupidest run league in North America. Only league that could get a hard cap and STILL have trouble with many franchises making a buck. MLB has been healthy lately despite insane contracts being handed out because the TV deals are now there plus owners are tired of fighting against the players and holding seasons hostage for the sake of getting the upper hand. That mentality should go out the window. Baseball is the only league without a work stoppage or even the cancellation of pre-season games since 1994. In that time hockey's had three, NBA's had two and NFL almost had one but all it cost were 2 pre-season games. And baseball was as ****ed as the NHL back then, having had 8 work stoppages since 1973. When will the NHL try to do the same?

Old
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
They are 4-1-1 in their last 6 games. I doubt they are pissed.
They also acquired them for nothing, I don't think they would have trouble finding someone to take them off their hands.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
They also acquired them for nothing, I don't think they would have trouble finding someone to take them off their hands.
I think you are right. The big money was paid up front in the form of bonuses... going forward the contracts aren't terribly attractive when you combine price and term but both are still relatively young.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Someone should lose his job today.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108
I would've laughed my *** ass off. If Colarado had not matched, Calgary would've lost their 2013 1st and 3rd rd pick AND still not have gotten ROR because he would've had to clear waivers first, which would not have happened.

Imagine if the Oilers had claimed him? Leaving Calgary with no ROR and no draft picks. BRUTAL.

They are lucky that the Avs matched!

Old
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I would've laughed my *** ass off. If Colarado had not matched, Calgary would've lost their 2013 1st and 3rd rd pick AND still not have gotten ROR because he would've had to clear waivers first, which would not have happened.

Imagine if the Oilers had claimed him? Leaving Calgary with no ROR and no draft picks. BRUTAL.

They are lucky that the Avs matched!
There's speculation that the Avs didn't officially match and only said they would, i.e. the paperwork hasn't been filed yet. So the Flames might still be in deep trouble. We shall see.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
O'Byrne scores :-)
Which net?

Old
03-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
There's speculation that the Avs didn't officially match and only said they would, i.e. the paperwork hasn't been filed yet. So the Flames might still be in deep trouble. We shall see.
http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=657963

Usually that is pretty official once you send out the PR.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
O'Byrne scores :-)
How big a score? Coach or Prada?

Old
03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Not if the NHL goes to Sochi, deadline would be early March.

In my view, Colorado would be foolish to trade ROR now that he's their player again. You have him and Duchene at age 22 down the middle, you find a way to repair the relationship with ROR.
Agreed. That's why I think Stats, who has always been rumoured to be on his way out of Colorado, is probably gone by the trade deadline. ROR still has a cheaper cap hit than Stats and he's younger. You try to repair that relationship and go forward with Duchese and ROR. The Avs could use Stats to get some wing help.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure about the rest of their scouting team...but somebody needs to get the Preds goalie scout if there's one....From Pekka Rinne...to Anders Lindback to future Magnus Hellberg. That's a pretty good list. Yes...some will mention Chet Pickard and Jeremy Smith....Hey you can't be perfect, but the first 3 are still an awesome list.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

One of the best threads in HFBoards history. It has everything you'd want in a thread - drama, high stakes, intrigue, mystery, comedy, schadenfreude... everything.

The Jeff Finger Signs With Toronto 4yr/14m Thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=530678

Old
03-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Yakupov now with 12 pts, ties Galchenyuk.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Nevermind...I'd delete this post if I could...

Edit: I just had to go 1 page previous to this one....sorry.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
Sounds like a good alternative to tanking .
Trading for picks and prospects is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Suter and Parise.

The posterboys (so far) for the dangers of chasing 'big ticket' UFAs.

Enjoy the decade to come, Wild fans.
Two problems with them.

1. Minnesota's system. Boring as hell.
2. Minnesota's jerseys. They all look like skating cans of Mountain Dew. Seriously look at the arm patches...

Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Avs fans seem to hate him.

Oh and Palushaj is now a healthy scratch.
Strange that Palushaj ends up a healthy scratch though. You read the Avs board and they were furious when they learned the first time he was a scratch. So he had to have done something good. Bordeleau won't last long in the lineup. Or even Olver.

4 points in 7 games for Palushaj, though you will say 3 points came up in 1 game. Which gives him 1 point in his next 6 games...I know.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strange that Palushaj ends up a healthy scratch though. You read the Avs board and they were furious when they learned the first time he was a scratch. So he had to have done something good. Bordeleau won't last long in the lineup. Or even Olver.

4 points in 7 games for Palushaj, though you will say 3 points came up in 1 game. Which gives him 1 point in his next 6 games...I know.
To be fair Avs fans liked O'Byrne at first too, and now they hate him.

I don't blame them for being pissed though, Bordeleau is basically useless when he isn't fighting.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Maxpac

What was this Staubitz to Montreal rumor all about?

Old
03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
sheed36

Is the media really calling Gallagher a little ball of hate now? I saw the thread on the Bruins board whining about it while browsing around HF tonight and it's the first I've heard of it.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
1 minute before we know. Ducks are playing at 10PM...we'll see if he's in the lineup or actually "en route" for Montreal...

Old
03-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Twitter.

Staubitz is scratched btw. You know who else is scratched?

Souray

Old
03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Maxpac

Well, the Wild do have Mike Rupp.... We'll see. Not sure Staubitz is a good fit against our division rivals.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
EveryDay

Staubitz for Nokeleinen?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Seems that the Ducks has signed Charles Sarault from Sarnia. Sarault was supposed to be at our rookie camp IF there would have been a season...

Old
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Is the media really calling Gallagher a little ball of hate now? I saw the thread on the Bruins board whining about it while browsing around HF tonight and it's the first I've heard of it.
That doesn't really suit Gallagher because he's actually likable in interviews/personality wise.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Where have you seen that?

Closed Thread