Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
wsoxfan1214

vCash: 500
Hawks fan here.

I don't care for this realignment, but I'm looking forward to having you guys in our division. Was a huge proponent of the Jets returning and have kind of followed you guys as a second team for a long while. Of course, now that you won't be in the East, I won't be doing that.

what do you guys think about the realignment? Any teams you're looking forward to? Do you think it will force management to spend a bit more?

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoxfan1214 View Post
Hawks fan here.

I don't care for this realignment, but I'm looking forward to having you guys in our division. Was a huge proponent of the Jets returning and have kind of followed you guys as a second team for a long while. Of course, now that you won't be in the East, I won't be doing that.

what do you guys think about the realignment? Any teams you're looking forward to? Do you think it will force management to spend a bit more?
I don't think it's going to change what the Jets are doing at all. I think management had always figured we would be in a division with these teams, and we have been getting bigger and building up organizational depth since day one to be able to compete.

I think we will spend more when it makes sense to. Spending just to spend makes you the Calgary Flames, or New York Rangers. Hardly recipes for success.

03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Boreal

I'm happy with it - as stated earlier in the thread. It's nice to have games against more regional teams, particularly the Wild, but certainly the Blackhawks as well. I would imagine that having Minny and Chicago in the division are the highlights for most people here. Personally, I'm excited to be in the same division as Nashville and Colorado, and I imagine I'll come around on St.Louis and Dallas eventually. Right now, the latter two only appeal to me marginally more then the current Southeast Division teams.

I do not think this move will have any impact on the Jets spending habits. Chipman indicated that after escrow payments are complete, with the new CBA, it is even a little bit more favourable, and as was the case with the last CBA even, the organization is apparently not afraid to spend when the opportunity to win presents itself.

Having Jonny Toews come to town three times a year is going to be a real hit for so many people. Probably a real hit for Mr. Toews as well.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
wsoxfan1214

Yeah, I'm sure the Toews thing will be awesome for you guys.

Just wondering - why does Minny interest you guys as much as it does? They're kind of boring to me when we play them and they're not the North Stars, so there's no rivalry to me.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
JetsHomer

It's the only city where a day road trip is feasible. It's a 4 hour drive to St. Paul. Next closest is Edmonton which is over 12 hours away.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Just wondering - why does Minny interest you guys as much as it does? They're kind of boring to me when we play them and they're not the North Stars, so there's no rivalry to me.
I live in Toronto now, but grew up in Winnipeg. The Twin-Cities were a regional rival. It's a 7-hour drive to Minneapolis/St. Paul, so fans can follow their team to the other's building. That always builds a rivalry.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
I live in Toronto now, but grew up in Winnipeg. The Twin-Cities were a regional rival. It's a 7-hour drive to Minneapolis/St. Paul, so fans can follow their team to the other's building. That always builds a rivalry.
Pfft. As long as traffic isn't bad at the border, I can make it to the Twin Cities in 6.25-6.5 hours, and that is counting going at the accepted rate above the speed limit

BTW, Wild fans absolutely HATE being call Minny. It drives them insane and are actually insulted by it.

Just so y'all know

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Pfft. As long as traffic isn't bad at the border, I can make it to the Twin Cities in 6.25-6.5 hours, and that is counting going at the accepted rate above the speed limit

BTW, Wild fans absolutely HATE being call Minny. It drives them insane and are actually insulted by it.

Just so y'all know
I for one am looking forward to having a great rivalry with Minny

Minny built a team a lot different then us, but I think we will dystroy Minny

Minny Minny Minny Minny

To Minny fans: I'm doing my best to drive this rivalry, what are you doing

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Random slightly offtopic factoids:
*Minesota's SBN blog HAAAAAAAAAAAATES the Jets' SBN blog (Arctic Ice Hockey) and founder (Gabe)... mostly because Gabe showed statistically that Minny was a terrible team even after signing Parise and Suter
*Minny fans dislike advance stats (mostly because they point out to ^^ this) so I will do my part to stoke the rivalry

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

I want to see heated rivalry's develop based on the hatred of the teams and fanbases. What I am hoping not to see is the "well your city sucks" ******** garbage that tends to get thrown around when things get intense. That is just plain annoying and unecessary.

Let's keep things respectable.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post

Just so y'all know
So when do we play the Minny Wild next

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the Toews thing will be awesome for you guys.

It's like some Minny fan said on our board when the Jets-Wild played for the first time last year -- there's just something so right about Minnesota facing Winnipeg in a hockey game. They're the closest NHL city to us by a fair bit. We share a region and (more or less) a climate, and there's a fair bit of cross-border activity between the cities (mostly from Winnipeg to Minneapolis) so there's familiarity there. It just works. I really look forward to hating them with all my heart, it's going to be great.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Boreal

I have no idea why they are insulted by Minny. Unless they have an irrational fear of Walt Disney's very popular rodent superstars.

On a related note, Winnie The Pooh is approximately 10,000 times cooler then Minnie Mouse.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I have no idea why they are insulted by Minny. Unless they have an irrational fear of Walt Disney's very popular rodent superstars.

On a related note, Winnie The Pooh is approximately 10,000 times cooler then Minnie Mouse.

Lol I dont understand the insult either. Last season I accidently used the phrase "minni" on their board and man did I get torched

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Lol I dont understand the insult either. Last season I accidently used the phrase "minni" on their board and man did I get torched
i think its because the arena is in St Paul Minnesota, and they do not like being referred to as being from Minneapolis

Old
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
It doesn't seem to matter where they are from. Minny gets under their skin like nothing else. Its an easy way to troll them.

Last edited by wpgsilver: 03-02-2013 at 09:26 PM.
wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

NHLPA Just signed off the deal its official were in the Mid West!!

Quote:
NHLPA has signed off on NHL's proposed realignment. Don Fehr statement to follow:
Quote:
"After discussions with Executive Board, NHLPA has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following 2014-15 season.” - Fehr
as per bobby mac

Old
03-07-2013, 05:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
NHLPA Just signed off the deal its official were in the Mid West!!

as per bobby mac
I know there are many that won't like this, but I personally do. Norris revisited. Will be nice to build some rivalries with the Wild, and there are some genuinely good teams in that new division. It will FORCE the Jets to up their game, their roster, etc.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I know there are many that won't like this, but I personally do. Norris revisited. Will be nice to build some rivalries with the Wild, and there are some genuinely good teams in that new division. It will FORCE the Jets to up their game, their roster, etc.
Except minus Detroit. That part was stupid. Should've left them in.

Lemon Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lover View Post
Except minus Detroit. That part was stupid. Should've left them in.
True dat. I'm pretty fond of Nashville and their organization, so while they're not Detroit, they play good hockey and have become a really good franchise overall.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
True dat. I'm pretty fond of Nashville and their organization, so while they're not Detroit, they play good hockey and have become a really good franchise overall.
I would have preferred Detroit in our division over Nashville, but it will still be good nonetheless.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Karl

Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, and Chicago back in the same division again?! Norris rivalries are back! I can't wait for games against the Jets, the two games last season were awesome! Though it is a little sad because I wanted you guys back and like your team, but I think hating the Jets will be even better!

Oh and Minny?! It's on now! haha

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

The big fat juicy bonus of this alignment is that we get a home and home with everyone in the league. Can't tell how cool it will be to see the Jets matched up with every team every year once in our barn and once on TV.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
StronGeer
Hopeful Fleecer

Looking forward to playing all the teams twice. Means I'll get to see my Jets at least once a year!

StronGeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, and Chicago back in the same division again?! Norris rivalries are back! I can't wait for games against the Jets, the two games last season were awesome! Though it is a little sad because I wanted you guys back and like your team, but I think hating the Jets will be even better!

Oh and Minny?! It's on now! haha
Minnyminnyminnyminny.

Looking forward to seeing some heated games against the Wild next year. The games last year were a blast.