HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
DPyro

vCash: 500
Straight swap is fine. Adding 1sts and top prospects? No deal.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
TRask

Kessel for Perry straight up is good value if Anaheim is unable to sign Perry

But you have to think that if the Ducks are able to coordinate a sign and trade for Perry, that teams would be lining up to offer the moon for his services.

Im not sure Kessel for a signed Perry straight up gets done

TRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The goal is to add Perry to the top 6 in Toronto in addition to Kessel, not swap them for each other.

If Toronto wants to get him before anyone since he has a good shot of ending up there if he hits free agency, I think it might cost...

To Anaheim: Mike Komisarek + 1st (Conditional, if he re-signs its 1st, if he doesn't, it's a 3rd) + Colborne.
To Toronto: Corey Perry
I'm a homer and even I think that is horrible.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

No way the Leafs get Perry for Kessel straight up...Kessel + Gardiner, maybe...and that's only if they don't get outbid by Boston.

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:19 PM
TorontoTrades

lol @ this thread.... not a chance Toronto deals Kessel for an unsigned Perry.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:30 PM
gradeAducksfan

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!

gradeAducksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
gradeAducksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
No way the Leafs get Perry for Kessel straight up...Kessel + Gardiner, maybe...and that's only if they don't get outbid by Boston.
I would do that deal!

Kessel + Gardiner + 1st

Perry + Allen

Old
03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
I hope you didnt know Perry is a free agent this summer...

I would trade Kessel for a signed Perry, sure. An unsigned Perry? HELL NO.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
gradeAducksfan

Any team that doesn't throw in there 1st in the deal has zero chance of getting Perry.

END OF STORY!!!! There is 29 teams that would KILL for Perry.

Perry for Kessel is just crazy talk. Kessel is no where near the level that Perry plays.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Kessel + ______ (Scrivens could be added if Anaheim needs a backup, as well as a good valued piece.)
For
Perry + Hiller

*assuming Anaheim CANNOT sign Perry.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:42 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Kessel + ______ (Scrivens could be added if Anaheim needs a backup, as well as a good valued piece.)
For
Perry + Hiller

they would be way better off dealing each separately.

even if Perry is a rental.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
I would do that deal!

Kessel + Gardiner + 1st

Perry + Allen
Done. Send over the papers.

Quote:
For
Perry + Hiller

Not sure if serious..... I rather keep Hiller till next season.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:48 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
Any team that doesn't throw in there 1st in the deal has zero chance of getting Perry.

END OF STORY!!!! There is 29 teams that would KILL for Perry.

Perry for Kessel is just crazy talk. Kessel is no where near the level that Perry plays.
Do I even have to point out the ridiculousness of this post? Why can non-Leaf fans get away with being morons, yet when Leaf fans are moronic (See Komisarek+ for Perry), we get lambasted? Stop acting as if Phil Kessel is a slouch, and he's "No where near" Corey Perry. If Kessel were being offered, I guarantee you he would be the best single piece you could ever land for Perry (Provided he wouldn't sign in Anaheim).

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Why can non-Leaf fans get away with being morons, yet when Leaf fans are moronic).

Leaf-Fan-Tossing is a time honored tradition in Canada, isn't it?

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Inverted

After what the Leafs payed to get Kessel I don't think he'll be traded unless its an overpayment. Phil is 25 with a year and a half left on his contract. Perry is 27 an UFA in the summer. One could say Kessel for Perry swap would be a fair deal for both sides maybe both teams could add B-prospect to even it out but no way do the Leafs trade Kessel + Gardiner or a 1st for an unsigned Perry.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Leaf-Fan-Tossing is a time honored tradition in Canada, isn't it?

Apparently so

Old
03-01-2013, 05:00 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Anaheim would have to add, you are correct. If a players contract wants out their value will depreciate considerably - although prenegotiations would not happen.
Well, prenegotiations are certainly possible, although admittedly, not all that likely.

If Corey Perry has a destination in mind, there's no reason for him not to consider negotiating with that team. It really depends on what his intentions are. If it's to get the best contract he possibly can, he'll wait until free agency, and no prenegotiations in mind. If he's got a number / term in mind, and either Anaheim is unwilling to meet that, or he wants to play somewhere else, then it's in both his and Anaheim's best interest to negotiate a deal with that team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Kessel resigning in Anaheim next year isn't an open and shut case either. The assumption in the idea for a Kessel for Perry swap, is that Leafs management would get a chance to talk to Perry beforehand, and see if a deal could be agreed upon.

IMO Perrys new deal will be closer in value to what he brings to the table than Kessels. If Perry gets ~7.5-8 and Kessel gets 6.5-7, I would take Perry and his contract. He's a far more complete/dominant player.

And if Anaheim makes this trade, 12 months from now they may have to trade Kessel and go through this all over again. I see no reason why Anaheim would have to add when they're giving up the better player in a deal where presumably the Leafs would already have a contract agreed upon (such as in the original Kessel deal, where he was traded for with a contract already agreed to).
Of course not. In fact, you could probably make the case that he's less likely to sign in Anaheim than Perry right now, simply because he hasn't been there his entire career.

In 12 months, they could be in the exact same situation. The value comes, in 3 forms... that year of having a top line sniper, the statement that you're not going to rebuild by trading Perry for picks & prospects (perhaps that allows them to keep Getzlaf), and the probability that Kessel is willing to resign being greater than Perry (assuming of course Perry has said he's not resigning).

As for who will be a better buy on their respective deal, you're basically saying that GMs as a collective don't have the ability to evaluate talent, and that they're going to underpay Perry and/or overpay Kessel. That's a pretty farfetched suggestion, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
This would be a no brainer

Kessel + 1st + Matt Finn for Perry(signed)
Not a chance. Perry may not even be a better buy than Kessel, nevermind including additional assets. If a deal were to happen, it would be because Perry has refused to sign there, will sign in Toronto, and Anaheim will be giving up the additional piece to pay for the year of contract / negotiating time they buy on Kessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
No way the 1st is going.

The difference between Perry and Kessel is a bright prospect going from Toronto's side, but not elite.

Corey Perry

for

Phil Kessel
Matt Finn
It's the other way around. At this point, Phil Kessel is more valuable than Corey Perry. He's got a year left on his deal, at a very good $5.4m. Perry doesn't. If Perry's willing to sign with a team, that may change, but whether it changes for Toronto is anything but certain, as there's no reason to believe that Phil Kessel doesn't want to remain here.

Last edited by seanlinden: 03-01-2013 at 05:06 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
ryan getzlaf kessel

whats wrong with that?
Because it wont happen. Kessel will not play with getzlaf. I would bet on Bobby centering Kessel or Holland centering them both on the second line.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
leafs need to trade kessel asap cuz he won't resign in toronto

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Here's why I would NEVER deal Kessel for Perry without an immediate extension: We get Perry, oh great, we get the 6th-8th seed maybe with him provided he produces more than Kessel (Which is not even close to a guarantee, especially with Lupul coming back soon). Then, we get bounced first round by whatever team we face, bummer. Perry leaves. Perry was a Habs fan growing up.

Goes to Montreal.
Kessel gone for good.
Seguin, Hamilton, Knight for 20 games of Perry

Yeah, unrealistic; but this terrifies me. I wouldn't dream of dealing Kessel for Perry unsigned for the sheer uncertainty of it. Also, speaking of uncertainty, there is no guarantee Perry does better here in Toronto. He may, in fact, do worse than Kessel.

Yeah, I personally would not do the deal; and to anyone saying Perry right now >>> Kessel, please, just, go to your room andthink about what you've done.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Here's why I would NEVER deal Kessel for Perry without an immediate extension: We get Perry, oh great, we get the 6th-8th seed maybe with him provided he produces more than Kessel (Which is not even close to a guarantee, especially with Lupul coming back soon). Then, we get bounced first round by whatever team we face, bummer. Perry leaves. Perry was a Habs fan growing up.

Goes to Montreal.
Kessel gone for good.

Yeah, unrealistic; but this terrifies me. I wouldn't dream of dealing Kessel for Perry unsigned for the sheer uncertainty of it. Also, speaking of uncertainty, there is no guarantee Perry does better here in Toronto. He may, in fact, do worse than Kessel.

Yeah, I personally would not do the deal; and to anyone saying Perry right now >>> Kessel, please, just, go to your room andthink about what you've done.
You really think Kessel is as good as Perry....

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
HockeySens

This doesn't make any sense for the leafs, although, for anaheim if they want a player who can make an impact right away this is about as good as it will get. Also leafs might have to add a bit more to this

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:28 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
It absolutely will, simply based on relative value.

Perry's better than Kessel, but Kessel is 2 years younger. He's also, presumably, going to cost less than Perry to resign next year. Which one ends up being the "better buy" is certainly unknown.

As a result, the Perry/Kessel swap, assuming Perry has agreed to a contract, isn't necessarily an open and shut case. You also have to guage what Kessel is going to cost, and which you'd prefer.

On the Anaheim side, if Perry won't resign, and you can get Phil Kessel for him, that's a total no-brainer.... so, there's a difference in value to be made up. Kessel for 1 year at $5.4m makes up substantially more than the difference than their skill sets for a couple months this year. It also puts them in a substantially stronger position to resign Getzlaf.
Nope.
First of all Anaheim doesn't need a player like Kessel, if we're trading Perry we won't be getting smaller up front.
Second, Perry is the better player, and just because Kessel has one additional year remaining, does not mean Anaheim adds.
Third, the OP still hasn't provided any proof McKenzie said Perry is not re-signing or wants to leave

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Nope.
First of all Anaheim doesn't need a player like Kessel, if we're trading Perry we won't be getting smaller up front.
Second, Perry is the better player, and just because Kessel has one additional year remaining, does not mean Anaheim adds.
Third, the OP still hasn't provided any proof McKenzie said Perry is not re-signing or wants to leave
If Anaheim is losing Perry, they need to replace him. If they can get a guy who's almost as good as him, and will cost a bit less, that's exactly what they need. If they can get a player like Kessel, versus rebuilding, then that's a good move.

It's the simple fact that Phil Kessel for the remainder of this year and next at $5.4m is more valuable than Perry for the remainder of this year. Perry may be the better player, but he's certainly nowhere near better enough to overcome the fact that you get Kessel for a year at $5.4m, along with a year to build comfort-level with the team and negotiate a contract.

This whole thread is based on Perry being unwilling to resign... if you don't agree with that premise, there's no reason to post here. Obviously, the desire from the Ducks is to resign him.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:35 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

Goes to Montreal.
Kessel gone for good.

Perry is better than Kessel, when Kessel gets some rings, and MVP's, or hell even a Richard, or a gold medal, let's talk

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote