HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Canucks need a shakeup?

View Poll Results: Shakeup
Yes 123 61.50%
No 77 38.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
  #101
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
says who?
Schnieder interview before his last start "we all had a 24 hour thing.."

Christina Woloski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:28 PM
  #102
ZZZZZZZ
Registered User
 
ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paradise!
Country: Canada
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Reading all these posts makes me wonder what games you were watching cause ,you must have had rose colored glasses on.

Our D-men are the most porous DM in the league.........when's the last time anyone saw any of them go down to block a shot.

They sure don't help the goalie.

The only positive lately was that Bieksa wasn't playing cause he's been brutal all year.

This team will float into the playoffs and get creamed in the 1st round again.

My hope is that they totally implode so that they don't make it in the playoffs and they finally get rid of AV.............his style is getting old and tired.


ZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
  #103
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
Reading all these posts makes me wonder what games you were watching cause ,you must have had rose colored glasses on.

Our D-men are the most porous DM in the league.........when's the last time anyone saw any of them go down to block a shot.

They sure don't help the goalie.

The only positive lately was that Bieksa wasn't playing cause he's been brutal all year.

This team will float into the playoffs and get creamed in the 1st round again.

My hope is that they totally implode so that they don't make it in the playoffs and they finally get rid of AV.............his style is getting old and tired.

Canucks will be fine.

I was actually surprised they were winning so much near the beginning of the season as normally they take 20-30 games to get going.

Based on previous years the Canucks should be hitting near full stride in a shortened 48 game season right as the playoffs hit.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:47 PM
  #104
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Canucks will be fine.

I was actually surprised they were winning so much near the beginning of the season as normally they take 20-30 games to get going.

Based on previous years the Canucks should be hitting near full stride in a shortened 48 game season right as the playoffs hit.
Canucks will be fine, how? Fine enough to make the playoffs and get exposed? They sue aren't going on a deep playoff run the way they're playing. We have a good team, that's evident, but we're playing terrible for whatever reason. Looking at the standings doesn't do this team justice in our play, we've been worse then the show.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
  #105
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Canucks will be fine, how? Fine enough to make the playoffs and get exposed? They sue aren't going on a deep playoff run the way they're playing. We have a good team, that's evident, but we're playing terrible for whatever reason. Looking at the standings doesn't do this team justice in our play, we've been worse then the show.
2010/2011 games 15-25:

2-0 Loss to Montreal
6-2 Win over Ottawa
5-3 Win over Toronto
4-3 OTL to Buffalo
3-1 Loss to Penguins
7-1 Loss to Chicago
3-2 Loss to Phoenix
4-2 Win over Colorado
6-1 Win over San Jose
7-2 Win over Calgary

2011/2012, games 15-25

3-2 Loss to St Louis
6-2 Win over Chicago
3-2 Win over LA
4-3 Loss to Anaheim
4-1 Win over NYI
5-1 Loss to Chicago
2-1 Win over Ottawa
3-0 Win over Colorado
5-0 Win over Phoenix
3-2 Win over San Jose
(This string started a bit earlier with a 5-1 loss to Minnesota)

You get the idea. The Canucks generally have pretty mediocre starts every year. In 2011 it was actually worse than last year and this year and they went to the cup final.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
  #106
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
2010/2011 games 15-25:

2-0 Loss to Montreal
6-2 Win over Ottawa
5-3 Win over Toronto
4-3 OTL to Buffalo
3-1 Loss to Penguins
7-1 Loss to Chicago
3-2 Loss to Phoenix
4-2 Win over Colorado
6-1 Win over San Jose
7-2 Win over Calgary

2011/2012, games 15-25

3-2 Loss to St Louis
6-2 Win over Chicago
3-2 Win over LA
4-3 Loss to Anaheim
4-1 Win over NYI
5-1 Loss to Chicago
2-1 Win over Ottawa
3-0 Win over Colorado
5-0 Win over Phoenix
3-2 Win over San Jose
(This string started a bit earlier with a 5-1 loss to Minnesota)

You get the idea. The Canucks generally have pretty mediocre starts every year. In 2011 it was actually worse than last year and this year and they went to the cup final.
I understand your reasoning, I believed we always started slow too, until I remembered we've played this way since Boston last year. Pretty sad, to me anyways, that the Canucks didn't even have a good response to the beating they took in Detroit.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
  #107
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Canucks will be fine, how? Fine enough to make the playoffs and get exposed? They sue aren't going on a deep playoff run the way they're playing. We have a good team, that's evident, but we're playing terrible for whatever reason. Looking at the standings doesn't do this team justice in our play, we've been worse then the show.
Point was that the trend for this team is always poor play early in a season.

10-5-4 (record this year after 19 games)

9-7-3 (2010/11 record after 19 games)

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:00 PM
  #108
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I understand your reasoning, I believed we always started slow too, until I remembered we've played this way since Boston last year. Pretty sad, to me anyways, that the Canucks didn't even have a good response to the beating they took in Detroit.
Same with the 2010/11 year against the Hawks where the Nucks got destroyed 7-1 right around the same time, then lost the next game to Phoenix in a similar manner. After that they won 14 of their next 16. *shrug*

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:02 PM
  #109
Grub
First Line Troll
 
Grub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 883
Hopefully we can change the top 9 a bit before the playoffs.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:06 PM
  #110
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Point was that the trend for this team is always poor play early in a season.

10-5-4 (record this year after 19 games)

9-7-3 (2010/11 record after 19 games)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Same with the 2010/11 year against the Hawks where the Nucks got destroyed 7-1 right around the same time, then lost the next game to Phoenix in a similar manner. After that they won 14 of their next 16. *shrug*
I agree the Canucks start slow each season, the records in the first ~20 games shows it clearly. However, as I mentioned, the Canucks have played uninspired hockey since the win in Boston dating back to last year that saw us get steamrolled by LA. In fairness, LA steamrolled everyone, but we're suppose to be much better, and leading up to those playoffs, I'd be lying to you if I said I was confident.

I feel the same way so far this year - not very confident. We have the pieces and tools for another Cup run, but the system, effort, you name it, is so far off. Things can change, and I sure hope they do, but as it stands right now it's hard to have confidence.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
  #111
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Actually (for interest) ... let's look at the trend of the Canucks around games 48-71 (assuming average length to win a cup is 23 games or so in the playoffs)...

Games 48-71 last season, Nucks Record: 14-6-3
Games 48-71 10/11: 13-6-4

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
  #112
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Hopefully we can change the top 9 a bit before the playoffs.
More specifically, fix the second line.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:09 PM
  #113
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I agree the Canucks start slow each season, the records in the first ~20 games shows it clearly. However, as I mentioned, the Canucks have played uninspired hockey since the win in Boston dating back to last year that saw us get steamrolled by LA. In fairness, LA steamrolled everyone, but we're suppose to be much better, and leading up to those playoffs, I'd be lying to you if I said I was confident.

I feel the same way so far this year - not very confident. We have the pieces and tools for another Cup run, but the system, effort, you name it, is so far off. Things can change, and I sure hope they do, but as it stands right now it's hard to have confidence.
Well last year my lack of confidence stemmed more from getting through the first round with an injury to Daniel.

LA was not a typical 8th seed.

Not that I disagree the Canucks need another scoring winger, i've been harping on that for some time.

I just don't think the season is ruined at game 19 when they still lead the division.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:11 PM
  #114
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
LA was not a typical 8th seed.
What's the last time there was a "typical 8th seed"? Every single year the fans say this.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:17 PM
  #115
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well last year my lack of confidence stemmed more from getting through the first round with an injury to Daniel.

LA was not a typical 8th seed.

Not that I disagree the Canucks need another scoring winger, i've been harping on that for some time.

I just don't think the season is ruined at game 19 when they still lead the division.
Is there ever an easy 8th seed anymore? Don't think so, far too much parity right now in the NHL. I don't think the season is ruined at game 19 either, it's the fact that they've played bad since the Boston game, and things don't seem to be getting better anytime soon. I hate to be so repetitive of reference to the Boston game, but it's been a year of playing like this. I'm just not buying the bad start to the season anymore, for this season anyways because of how we played in the second half of last years season, and so far this year.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
  #116
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What's the last time there was a "typical 8th seed"? Every single year the fans say this.
Ottawa last year was a fairly typical 8th seed.

Chicago 2 years ago was a typical 8th seed (at the time).

Montreal and Colorado in 2010...

Montreal and Anaheim in 2009...

Boston and Nashville in 2008....

Rarely do you see a team full of depth and all-stars sitting in 8th at the end of a season.

Even in Colorado's 'bad' year with Kariya and Selanne on their 3rd line they finished in 4th in the West... (8th place spots that season were Nashville and NYI)

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
  #117
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,238
vCash: 500
I know a lot of people are saying we need a 2nd line player for Kesler, but that is just not going to happen this season. I think the defense needs to (and can) play better. Looking back at the LA series, yes, the team was pressed for secondary scoring, but the amount of quality chances and great saves Luongo/Schneider had to make was just awful to watch. We couldn't contain them at all. I guess this is on everyone, not just the D.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
  #118
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Is there ever an easy 8th seed anymore? Don't think so, far too much parity right now in the NHL. I don't think the season is ruined at game 19 either, it's the fact that they've played bad since the Boston game, and things don't seem to be getting better anytime soon. I hate to be so repetitive of reference to the Boston game, but it's been a year of playing like this. I'm just not buying the bad start to the season anymore, for this season anyways because of how we played in the second half of last years season, and so far this year.
Well since what LA did last year has never been done before I'd certainly say there wasn't an 8th seed anywhere near as good as them until last year...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:25 PM
  #119
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,203
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I can't elaborate right now but I spent some time on this in the AV thread. Canucks (generally) only allow the forwards to cycle down low rather than using the full zone which is something that guys like Raymond and Schroeder would be good at with their speed. The breakouts we use are also not conducive to creating offense off the rush.


The Canucks have very offensive dmen and they are often used very well. It's one of the reasons for their success over the years. I do agree that the Sedins have really left their imprint on the team in terms of cycling down low. Often, instead of trying deke by the dman, the Canucks will chip behind the net and try to cause the turnover. It's a Moneypuck play. More likely to get the puck deep and get possession than creating a fast break turnover.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:25 PM
  #120
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I know a lot of people are saying we need a 2nd line player for Kesler, but that is just not going to happen this season. I think the defense needs to (and can) play better. Looking back at the LA series, yes, the team was pressed for secondary scoring, but the amount of quality chances and great saves Luongo/Schneider had to make was just awful to watch. We couldn't contain them at all. I guess this is on everyone, not just the D.
Canucks still need a second line winger if the defense plays good or bad, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well since what LA did last year has never been done before I'd certainly say there wasn't an 8th seed anywhere near as good as them until last year...
Fair enough.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
  #121
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Canucks still need a second line winger if the defense plays good or bad, regardless.
Yeah, I agree. I was just saying that it probably isn't very likely we will get one (this season).

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
  #122
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,914
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What's the last time there was a "typical 8th seed"? Every single year the fans say this.
When was the last time a team played an 8th seed that was the Cup winner the year before (Hawks) and then played an 8th seed that went on to win the Cup (Kings)?

I don't know what my point is but it's a weird little blip.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
  #123
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.
 
Canadian Gold X3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Time to resurrect this topic.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
  #124
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...
 
Jack Tripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 625
"you can fire the coach but you can't fire all of the players"


Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
  #125
Fairweather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
I'm starting to edge closer and closer to panic right now despite my attempts to remain level-headed.

Fairweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.