HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Augmenting TV Broadcasts & the "Second Screen"

Old
03-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I would hate it and wouldn't get any use from it.
Why? Why would you hate it if they flashed the players name on the screen during a stop in play?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-01-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Not necessary
Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
See http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legac...2339553045.jpg for an example. Notice the display in the top left with the score/time-remaining/yadayadayada in the top left of the screen?
Wait, what?

Having the score and time remaining on screen is bad?

Should that not have a clock or a scoreboard at the arena either?

Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-01-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Post, not the poster. Personalizing gets deleted
Old
03-01-2013, 09:04 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
See http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legac...2339553045.jpg for an example. Notice the display in the top left with the score/time-remaining/yadayadayada in the top left of the screen?
I'd be a little annoyed by the long bar stretching across the top; what's it for? Usually big bars like that flash the scoring summary of a recent goal, then go away.

The score and time is essential information. That's why they hang a big-ass scoreboard in the middle of every hockey arena.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. That scorebug needs to be on the screen at all times.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. That scorebug needs to be on the screen at all times.
This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. Every TV set has closed captioning. Stick the score/time/whatever in that. Let people see the entire screen.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. Every TV set has closed captioning. Stick the score/time/whatever in that. Let people see the entire screen.
The score and time in the corner has never caused anyone to miss any meaningful action.

This argument is silly.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Why? Why would you hate it if they flashed the players name on the screen during a stop in play?
So they flash the players names, then they make a line change 30 seconds later. Then they do it again during another stoppage and they change again 30 seconds later. It's pointless, these guys aren't on for 5 minutes or even 2 minutes at a time. No reason to waste time filling the screen with the players names when a minute later they're off the ice.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
So they flash the players names, then they make a line change 30 seconds later. Then they do it again during another stoppage and they change again 30 seconds later. It's pointless, these guys aren't on for 5 minutes or even 2 minutes at a time. No reason to waste time filling the screen with the players names when a minute later they're off the ice.

Waste who's time? Yours? The guys in the production truck?

One of the NHL's biggest problems is nobody knows any of the players. Focusing on them, and identifying them during stoppages would go a long way in creating more face recognition.

Embrace the future guys....

Old
03-02-2013, 01:09 AM
knorthern knight

Quote:
The score and time in the corner has never caused anyone to miss any meaningful action.

This argument is silly.
I'm asking for the option to decide whether I get an uncluttered screen, or a bunch of "info". I'd appreciate that choice.

I tell ya... one night I went to my living room to watch a hockey game... and a bunch of garbage on the screen broke out.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
But wouldn't closed captioning contribute to more clutter? Plus, closed captioning is not for that purpose.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
I'm asking for the option to decide whether I get an uncluttered screen, or a bunch of "info". I'd appreciate that choice.

I tell ya... one night I went to my living room to watch a hockey game... and a bunch of garbage on the screen broke out.
Why do you not want to know how much time is left in the game, or on a power play?

Its essential knowledge.

REalistically, though, its a non-argument. Its there forever.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:20 AM
knorthern knight

Quote:
But wouldn't closed captioning contribute to more clutter?
Why? It would be a tradeoff between a bar on the screen versus crawling text along the bottom. And furthermore, closed captioning is OPTIONAL. I can turn it off, which is more than can be said for a bar over the video.

Quote:
Plus, closed captioning is not for that purpose.
That doesn't make it illegal. There are 63 available regular closed-captioning streams per channel in the ATSC standard, plus an addititional 2 "legacy-mode" streams from the days of NTSC. There's plenty of spare space.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:27 AM
knorthern knight

Quote:
Why do you not want to know how much time is left in the game, or on a power play?
If I don't know what's going on, fire the TV play-by-play announcer and replace him with a competent RADIO play-by-play announcer. Those guys seem able to do their job without that crutch.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Noob616

I really like the idea. I know most of the players on the NE division teams, and I know a couple other teams decently well, but most teams I don't know the players apart. It'd be completely non-intrusive, and would go a long way in helping people recognize and know new players. I don't get the backlash to this suggestion at all. Hockey fans can be so conservative about everything.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Another option would be for the NHL to create an app for tablets and smartphones that tracks the game in real time with the current lines, TOI, and other interesting facts. The key, though, is REAL time. Any sort of time lag, even by a few seconds, and it would be worthless.

That way you can watch the game on the tube, and have your iPad handy to see the up to the second stats.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote