HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Topic Thread Part VV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
  #651
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Is Gliff on fire?

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
  #652
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Nice user message.

I used to have dilaudin for headaches. Strong stuff.
I thought you'd like the user message

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
  #653
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Just finished my o chem midterm.... I feel like that golden retriever meme where it says "I have no idea what I'm doing"

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
  #654
Gibson Les Palms
Registered User
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,752
vCash: 814
The Kings forum is almost like a 2nd Ducks forum lately

Gibson Les Palms is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
  #655
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Just finished my o chem midterm.... I feel like that golden retriever meme where it says "I have no idea what I'm doing"
Congrats - hope you did better than you're expecting. Damn near every medical professional I've spoken to has said O Chem is the worst class in undergrad.

TesseracT is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
  #656
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,751
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
Congrats - hope you did better than you're expecting. Damn near every medical professional I've spoken to has said O Chem is the worst class in undergrad.
my dad hated it - doctor
my cousin changed majors because of it.
my other cousin hated it

my uncle liked it - doctor

i think 90% hate it and feel they have no idea whats going on at the end. you prolly did fine =)

gratefulyours is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
  #657
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,751
vCash: 557
how ironic would it be if the blue jackets take out chicago's run tonight?

gratefulyours is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
  #658
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,881
vCash: 500
O Chem is the premed weed out class. It sucks intentionally because that's how they see who is determined enough to become a doctor.

snarktacular is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
  #659
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
Congrats - hope you did better than you're expecting. Damn near every medical professional I've spoken to has said O Chem is the worst class in undergrad.
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.

mmbt is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
  #660
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,789
vCash: 500
O Chem is such a stupid class. Absolutely pointless to being a medical professional unless you're going to be a pharmaceutical or genetics researcher. And any class that requires massive curving is poorly taught. My genetics course at Northwestern, for instance, which needed you to score above the mid 20's% on the final to to get a D.

Ducks DVM is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
  #661
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,751
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.
sorry, but any class that has you rereading the material again after the lecture +4 hours of working problems just to understand what is going on is "hard." having to reread the chapter again and work another 4 hours if you don't get it after that is "hard."

50% of the best students in the country failing would also = hard in my mind. unless they all had mid to high 80 percentile scores or above and were simply failing because of a curve - gotta love those sadistic professors.

just out of curiosity, if that wasn't hard, what does qualify as hard?

gratefulyours is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
  #662
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
sorry, but any class that has you rereading the material again after the lecture +4 hours of working problems just to understand what is going on is "hard." having to reread the chapter again and work another 4 hours if you don't get it after that is "hard."

50% of the best students in the country failing would also = hard in my mind. unless they all had mid to high 80 percentile scores or above and were simply failing because of a curve - gotta love those sadistic professors.

just out of curiosity, if that wasn't hard, what does qualify as hard?
Pharmacology.

Ducks DVM is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
  #663
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
Talking about organic chemistry?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
  #664
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
This class is for biology students (they have another series for the biochem and chem majors). She hands out so much extra credit and partial points you have to be retarded not to pass.

I got an A the first quarter with the same feeling "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" and I have horrible study habits (in fact I got some online homework due before midnight tonight so I'm taking my laptop to the game)

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  #665
Gibson Les Palms
Registered User
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,752
vCash: 814
All I had to take was General Chem

Gibson Les Palms is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
  #666
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.
This really is the key. But it's something you just get a feel for after lots of reps.

snarktacular is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
  #667
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
TIL I do better o chem when drunk

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 AM
  #668
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
This class is for biology students (they have another series for the biochem and chem majors). She hands out so much extra credit and partial points you have to be retarded not to pass.

I got an A the first quarter with the same feeling "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" and I have horrible study habits (in fact I got some online homework due before midnight tonight so I'm taking my laptop to the game)
What career are you aiming for?

Corey Perry* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
  #669
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
A cosmic terror.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
  #670
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
What career are you aiming for?
NHL linesman

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
  #671
Unholy
waifu
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
NHL linesman
Too qualified

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=96509&type=sigpic&dateline=1325746233
Unholy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:06 AM
  #672
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
NHL linesman
But aren't you a woman? You'll disintegrate by just getting breathed on by guys like Cal Clutterbuck and David Backes!

Corey Perry* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
  #673
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Too qualified
This guy that works at the concession stand at the Honda Center looks just like you... did you get a new job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
But aren't you a woman? You'll disintegrate by just getting breathed on by guys like Cal Clutterbuck and David Backes!
That's why I'd take my time dropping the puck and for no real reason I'd throw them out of the circle.

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:27 AM
  #674
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
That's why I'd take my time dropping the puck and for no real reason I'd throw them out of the circle.
Then I wouldn't want you reffing my team's games. I won't let you torture me.

Corey Perry* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 AM
  #675
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Anathema- One Last Goodbye

Best song ever.

Corey Perry* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.