Old
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Nice user message.

I used to have dilaudin for headaches. Strong stuff.
I thought you'd like the user message

Old
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Just finished my o chem midterm.... I feel like that golden retriever meme where it says "I have no idea what I'm doing"

Old
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
The Kings forum is almost like a 2nd Ducks forum lately

Old
03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Just finished my o chem midterm.... I feel like that golden retriever meme where it says "I have no idea what I'm doing"
Congrats - hope you did better than you're expecting. Damn near every medical professional I've spoken to has said O Chem is the worst class in undergrad.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
Congrats - hope you did better than you're expecting. Damn near every medical professional I've spoken to has said O Chem is the worst class in undergrad.
my dad hated it - doctor
my cousin changed majors because of it.
my other cousin hated it

my uncle liked it - doctor

i think 90% hate it and feel they have no idea whats going on at the end. you prolly did fine =)

Old
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

how ironic would it be if the blue jackets take out chicago's run tonight?

Old
03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

O Chem is the premed weed out class. It sucks intentionally because that's how they see who is determined enough to become a doctor.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

O Chem is such a stupid class. Absolutely pointless to being a medical professional unless you're going to be a pharmaceutical or genetics researcher. And any class that requires massive curving is poorly taught. My genetics course at Northwestern, for instance, which needed you to score above the mid 20's% on the final to to get a D.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.
sorry, but any class that has you rereading the material again after the lecture +4 hours of working problems just to understand what is going on is "hard." having to reread the chapter again and work another 4 hours if you don't get it after that is "hard."

50% of the best students in the country failing would also = hard in my mind. unless they all had mid to high 80 percentile scores or above and were simply failing because of a curve - gotta love those sadistic professors.

just out of curiosity, if that wasn't hard, what does qualify as hard?

Old
03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
sorry, but any class that has you rereading the material again after the lecture +4 hours of working problems just to understand what is going on is "hard." having to reread the chapter again and work another 4 hours if you don't get it after that is "hard."

50% of the best students in the country failing would also = hard in my mind. unless they all had mid to high 80 percentile scores or above and were simply failing because of a curve - gotta love those sadistic professors.

just out of curiosity, if that wasn't hard, what does qualify as hard?
Pharmacology.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Talking about organic chemistry?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

This class is for biology students (they have another series for the biochem and chem majors). She hands out so much extra credit and partial points you have to be retarded not to pass.

I got an A the first quarter with the same feeling "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" and I have horrible study habits (in fact I got some online homework due before midnight tonight so I'm taking my laptop to the game)

Old
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
All I had to take was General Chem

Old
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post

The trick is this:

This really is the key. But it's something you just get a feel for after lots of reps.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

TIL I do better o chem when drunk

Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
This class is for biology students (they have another series for the biochem and chem majors). She hands out so much extra credit and partial points you have to be retarded not to pass.

I got an A the first quarter with the same feeling "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" and I have horrible study habits (in fact I got some online homework due before midnight tonight so I'm taking my laptop to the game)
What career are you aiming for?

Old
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
A cosmic terror.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
What career are you aiming for?
NHL linesman

Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
NHL linesman
Too qualified

03-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
NHL linesman
But aren't you a woman? You'll disintegrate by just getting breathed on by guys like Cal Clutterbuck and David Backes!

Old
03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Too qualified
This guy that works at the concession stand at the Honda Center looks just like you... did you get a new job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
But aren't you a woman? You'll disintegrate by just getting breathed on by guys like Cal Clutterbuck and David Backes!
That's why I'd take my time dropping the puck and for no real reason I'd throw them out of the circle.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
That's why I'd take my time dropping the puck and for no real reason I'd throw them out of the circle.
Then I wouldn't want you reffing my team's games. I won't let you torture me.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Corey Perry*

Anathema- One Last Goodbye

Best song ever.

Closed Thread