HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
  #101
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I didn't bring up Dryden, you did.

I think there's no comparison with any of the great goalies we have had. I personally don't even think of them when I think of Price. But it's clear you, and others, do. So that's why we're discussing it I guess. That's clear proof that Price is overrated when guys like Roy and Dryden are brought into the discussion. Or when Price gets compared to guys who have actually accomplished things.
Price is as good as your going to get in the league right now. Threads like this are silly. People complaining about Dryden in '77 is an exaggerated example but that's how it is in Montreal...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
  #102
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price is as good as your going to get in the league right now.
Again, it's these types of statements that have no meaning and are being made for the sole purpose of overrating Price that bother me.

Some goalies win trophies (vezina & conn smythe), sometimes some goalies win both in the same season. Price has yet to be nominated for one of these so clearly, it does get better. I mean... my whole point is that Price isn't doing anything special atm. He really isn't. It's been above average so far. In my world, above average is commendable but not worth gushing over.

Quote:
Threads like this are silly. People complaining about Dryden in '77 is an exaggerated example but that's how it is in Montreal...
It's not because I see something different that it's complaining, whining or whatever. I'm more than satisfied with the habs season so far. It's been a treat to watch. But it's not because the team is having a great season that everything that is said about the team HAS to be positive about every decisions, every players...or is it ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:58 PM
  #103
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
Non-sense, non-sense, completely non-sense! I dare you to talk about Jesus-Price like that again! blasphemia! Carey is the second coming, the next Roy and beyond! The Molson Cup he won this month is the proof he is the ONLY reason the Habs are no1 in the east. There is NOT a SINGLE goal he allowed who were soft this year, always the fault of our d-man.
You have quite the hate-boner for Price, it seems. We're not in 2009 anymore, time to get over it.
Seriously, he's 11-3-2. How the hell are you going to argue that he's not doing his job? Whining about him not stopping x goal or not winning every game is grasping for straws.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:16 PM
  #104
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It is not about expecting him to win them all. I did not expect him to win the TO game. We were badly outplayed and we didn't deserve it.

But he did drop games we should have won, and he didn't really steal games either, so why are people gushing over his season ? He's been alright so far. Is alright worth 6.5M? He's paid like a top 3 goalie, I don't think he's played like a top 3 so far.


I'm not whining. I just find that Price is getting ridiculously overrated and I'm stating my opinion. It's not because you disagree with it that it's whining.

Now, I expect a goalie who makes a top 3 cap hit in the NHL to not drop games he should win. Or, if not, to steal games to compensate for games he should have won. I haven't seen that so far. It's nothing critical though, just maybe 2-3 games I feel that we could have won with solid goaltending but didn't win. But while it's not critical, it's also nothing to get excited about. Maybe I am too demanding.

What you need to understand that OTHERS goalie in the top 5 have bad games too. You don't watch their games so you don't notice it. Every goalie, even the very good ones will lose some games that they should have won. Almost every saves are stoppable so every games is basically winnable but they are not perfect.

I don't care that there was game that Price should have won, of course there was and I'm sorry to tell you this but he will lose some that he should have won like any other goalies in the league. Maybe except from the game we got shutout, Price with some key saves, he could be 16W-2L but its not like that. Winnable game doesn't mean he will win it, stoppable saves doesn't mean it will always be stopped but he played well in most of the game this season to help the team win but like I said, they can't win them all, even the winnable games.

So far this season, on 16 starts, there's only 3 games that Price did not lead his team to any points. 3 regulation losses that our team scored a big total of 3 goals. Will I go blame our team not to help Price for giving Price an offensive support? No because it happens, we can't expect our team to score 5 goals each game to help out Price.

With Price in net, the team got points in 13 out of 16 games and we are having a thread about Price not doing miracle. Like what? Should we blame him for not helping our team get pts every games because he didn't pull any miracle?

And like you said, the 2nd game against the Leafs, we got destroyed so Price shouldn't be blamed for that.

The two other regulation losses, we lost 2-1, with Price posting decent SV% (.923 and .913) but he didn't get the offensive support. I guess that the OP wants Price to pull miracle in those game and get a shutout in each game but for me, I'm not expecting Price to help the team get points in 15 out of his 16 starts.

Maybe I'm not demanding enough. Apparently, with his salary we could easily have a couple of more wins in those winnable games. Seriously, the way you say it, with Rinne (or I don't know who you consider top 5 goalies in the NHL at this moment) in net, they would have been 15-1 pretty easily if they play for us. We are basically from a top 5 goalie away from the cup finals!

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:01 PM
  #105
McNuts
Registered User
 
McNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,825
vCash: 500
Yes, the team should have sucked more so he could steal more games

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
  #106
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
What you need to understand that OTHERS goalie in the top 5 have bad games too. You don't watch their games so you don't notice it. Every goalie, even the very good ones will lose some games that they should have won. Almost every saves are stoppable so every games is basically winnable but they are not perfect.
I am not sure why you feel the need to tell me this. I can only assume you think I'm an idiot. Of course even the best goalies have bad games. I've been watching the NHL for 20 years. You act like I know nothing started watching yesterday.

I've seen some great performances over the years. Amongst them Roy's conn smythe 93 run and Theodore's hart and vezina. I can see the difference between greatness (Theo's and Roy's best performances), a really solid top 5 season (Price in 2010-11), something above average (this season), an average season (2011-12) and a terrible season (Price in 2009-10).

I'm not saying Price sucks. I merely said that Price has been above average. Not the top 5 goalie people claim he is. Is that so far off base ? However he is paid like a top 3 goalie. I don't think there's cause to be disappointed, but I don't think there's cause to be excited either.

The rest of your post is you not looking at Price's performance outside of the team concept and looking at the team results. The team has played great, so yes, Price has great stats and has gotten points in most games he has played in, as would be expected of any top 20 starters behind a team that is playing great hockey. Every performance has to be weighted in relation with the way the team plays in front. Sometimes the difficulty level behind winning a game is extremely low because of how the team plays in front. If you don't account for that at all then Price is having the best season of his career. I find that not to be the case however, in my opinion, he was clearly a heck of a lot better in 2010-11. Put that Price in net and we would have at least 2 more pts from the NYI OTL and the Ott SOL.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:11 PM
  #107
JIMVINNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Troll thread.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:22 PM
  #108
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I am not sure why you feel the need to tell me this. I can only assume you think I'm an idiot. Of course even the best goalies have bad games. I've been watching the NHL for 20 years. You act like I know nothing started watching yesterday.

I've seen some great performances over the years. Amongst them Roy's conn smythe 93 run and Theodore's hart and vezina. I can see the difference between greatness (Theo's and Roy's best performances), a really solid top 5 season (Price in 2010-11), something above average (this season), an average season (2011-12) and a terrible season (Price in 2009-10).

I'm not saying Price sucks. I merely said that Price has been above average. Not the top 5 goalie people claim he is. Is that so far off base ? However he is paid like a top 3 goalie. I don't think there's cause to be disappointed, but I don't think there's cause to be excited either.

The rest of your post is you not looking at Price's performance outside of the team concept and looking at the team results. The team has played great, so yes, Price has great stats and has gotten points in most games he has played in, as would be expected of any top 20 starters behind a team that is playing great hockey. Every performance has to be weighted in relation with the way the team plays in front. Sometimes the difficulty level behind winning a game is extremely low because of how the team plays in front. If you don't account for that at all then Price is having the best season of his career. I find that not to be the case however, in my opinion, he was clearly a heck of a lot better in 2010-11. Put that Price in net and we would have at least 2 more pts from the NYI OTL and the Ott SOL.

I see that you like the bring his salary into the conversation and I don't see anything it has to do with Price not stealing games for us. What is "stealing games" for us by the way? Is it his fault that our team doesn't surrender 40 shots anymore. Is it his fault that he doesn't flop around to make spectacular saves because of his good positioning. Ever wonder that his saves seem easy because he makes it look easy?

I don't know what you're trying to cause here. If Price wins, its because the team plays well and it basically has nothing to do with Price.

What do you want? The teams plays well or the team plays bad and surrender 40 goals so that Price can earn the top 5 title and earn his big contract?

Are you gonna make a big fuss about Price not helping the team get one or 2 extra points in games he hasn't been great?

Btw, your example of great goalie performances, what does it have to do with this thread? These are rare performances, are you saying that you were expecting Price to have similar performance this year because of his top 3 goalie contract?

Also, even if Price won the games that you are blaming him for the loss, would you consider Price's performance this season a top 5 goalie worthy? I have my doubt because he still wouldn't be comparable to those performances you named up there.

Really, I don't see any way that you can praise Price with the way the team is playing this season unless he wins every games except the Leafs 2nd game because all the other games are 1 goal game and I'm sure you will still find ways to critic him to not make the stoppable saves that he didn't stop in those game.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:50 AM
  #109
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price is as good as your going to get in the league right now. Threads like this are silly. People complaining about Dryden in '77 is an exaggerated example but that's how it is in Montreal...
The incredulous part about this thread even existing is that we're 13-4-3 with the best goal differential in the East.

Price hasn't been as sharp since we took to limiting the opposition to 5 shots through half the game, but I'm confident he'll make the necessary adjustments. Price has too often kept us in the game when it was clear we were out of it without him - cannot comprehend why this type of thread has popped up if you've watched the Habs in the last 3 seasons.

Yeah he hasn't really had to steal a game this year, but that's a positive - we've played so well in front of him.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:12 AM
  #110
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
Tied for most wins
5th best G.AA (10+ games)
8th best Save % (10+ games)
2 Shutouts
2nd best Save % Even Strength (10+ games)

Oh yeah, just above average. Nice to see that being one of the five best goalies in NHL starters makes you merely above average.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:00 AM
  #111
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,491
vCash: 500
For all the award winning crap, this might just be the year where he's nominated, and yet his play is no where near what it was 2 years ago( He's still one of the best, but 2 years ago no one was Price-stellar.)

Thats how award voting goes... So its a moot point to bring up.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:50 AM
  #112
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Now, I expect a goalie who makes a top 3 cap hit in the NHL to not drop games he should win. Or, if not, to steal games to compensate for games he should have won. I haven't seen that so far.
Wow.

We have four losses and three overtimes losses, one of each went to Budaj. The two losses against Toronto, the Habs were outplayed, so they were not "dropped" games. The only other regulation loss was against Boston, and again the Habs were outplayed. Price was in fact standing on his head for us to have a 1-0 lead after two. This was NOT a dropped game either.

So now we can talk about the two overtime losses, against New York Islanders and Ottawa. Against Ottawa, Bishop was the more spectacular goalie, and did not trip/lose his balance on the final shootout try, but if anything, this game was lost because the Habs hit four goalposts/crossbars. It could easily have been a 4-1 win. Having said that , the regulation time goal by Ottawa was the easiest goal Price has given up all year and for that alone, we can call this game "dropped".

The Islanders game was a TEAM-dropped game, but NOT Price's fault. The two PP goals by Moulson that got the Isles back in the game were no-chancers, one deflection, and one "left alone in the slot" play. The tying goal midway through the third was a complete defensive breakdown allowing a guy to come untouched through the middle and roof a shot. And the overtime winner was a tic-tac-toe passing play made possible by poor defensive coverage and the great vision of Taveres. WHiel I understand the Habs' fans disappointment in losing that game, Price was the guy who kept them in it the whole third period while the team collapsed.

So there you have it, one game dropped, with the help of four offensive chances that hit the goalposts.

On the other side, Price was the difference in the win at Madison Square Garden, at home against Ottawa, and I would even argue the last game against Toronto, where we could have been losing 4-2 rather than tied 2-2 before the Gallagher goal broke it open. Stopping the penalty shot by Grabovski changed that game.

So, even is a season where the chances to drop a game have been much higher than the chances of stealing a game, Price has more steals than drops. He has been a big part of this successful stretch for the team.


Last edited by BaseballCoach: 03-02-2013 at 09:44 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:02 AM
  #113
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I am not sure why you feel the need to tell me this. I can only assume you think I'm an idiot. Of course even the best goalies have bad games. I've been watching the NHL for 20 years. You act like I know nothing started watching yesterday.

I've seen some great performances over the years. Amongst them Roy's conn smythe 93 run and Theodore's hart and vezina. I can see the difference between greatness (Theo's and Roy's best performances), a really solid top 5 season (Price in 2010-11), something above average (this season), an average season (2011-12) and a terrible season (Price in 2009-10).

I'm not saying Price sucks. I merely said that Price has been above average. Not the top 5 goalie people claim he is. Is that so far off base ? However he is paid like a top 3 goalie. I don't think there's cause to be disappointed, but I don't think there's cause to be excited either.

The rest of your post is you not looking at Price's performance outside of the team concept and looking at the team results. The team has played great, so yes, Price has great stats and has gotten points in most games he has played in, as would be expected of any top 20 starters behind a team that is playing great hockey. Every performance has to be weighted in relation with the way the team plays in front. Sometimes the difficulty level behind winning a game is extremely low because of how the team plays in front. If you don't account for that at all then Price is having the best season of his career. I find that not to be the case however, in my opinion, he was clearly a heck of a lot better in 2010-11. Put that Price in net and we would have at least 2 more pts from the NYI OTL and the Ott SOL.
I'm not sure it matters to you, but your feelings on the subject coincide with mine. I guess that makes us haters.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:07 AM
  #114
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Wow.

We have four losses and three overtimes losses, one of each went to Budaj. The two losses against Toronto, the Habs were outplayed, so they were not "dropped" games. The only other regulation loss was against Boston, and again the Habs were outplayed. Price was in fact standing on his head for us to have a 1-0 lead after two. This was NOT a dropped game either.
That is not true at all. In the first period we kind of dominated the play. Shots were 11-4 in our favor. In the 2nd, we were still quite good. But it was mostly even. We got lucky with Subban's deflection. In no way was Price standing on his head for us to have a 1-0 lead after two. That never happened. It was actually the opposite with Rask standing on his head after two to keep the game only 1-0 in our favor.

I never claimed it was a dropped game either.

Quote:
The Islanders game was a TEAM-dropped game, but NOT PRice's fault. The two PP goals by Moulson that got the IOsles back in the game were no-chancers, one deflection, and one "left alone in the slot" play. The tying goal midway through the third was a complete defensive breakdown allowing a guy to come untouched through the middle and roof a shot. And the overtime winner was a tic-tac-toe passing play made possible by poor defensive coverage and the great vision of Taveres. WHiel I understand the Habs' fans disappointment in losing that game, Price was the guy who kept them in it the whole third period while the team collapsed.
The problem I have with this is that any time there's a good play by the other team, a defensive mistake or a deflection we can't expect Price to make a save ? Why is he being paid 6.5M again? Sometimes you have to make a more difficult save than usual to bail your team out. That is what top 3 goalies are supposed to do sometimes. We've gotten it done to us this season.

Also, if you look at the Moulson 2nd goal, the shot hit Price's shoulder and went in. It was obviously stoppable, only a matter of an inch more forward or an inch more to the left. Sure it was a great pass by Tavares and a great shot by Moulson, and he was left all alone, and the habs D made a mistake, but maybe a big top-3-goalie save there to preserve the game ? Or maybe a miraculous save somewhere else ? The Nielsen goal in the slot, could Price have come out of his net a little bit to face the shooter and give him less angle ? I guess, for you, the answer is no to all of this. For you, the second a shot is more difficult to save, it's game over, we can't expect a top 3 goalie (in cap hit anyway) to make the big save ?

Quote:
On the other side, Price was the difference in the win at Madison Square Garden, at home against Ottawa,
First chance Ottawa gets Silfverberg gets a breakaway and scores. Price looking frozen in time. Then habs play great hockey and we get lucky they disallow their tying goal. I can't remember a single really difficult save he made in that game. Galchenyuk got absolutely robbed by Anderson on a backhand shot from the slot though. Price played well though and was solid in a 1 goal difference affair. It was one of his best game.

Quote:
and I would even argue the last game against Toronto, where we could have been losing 4-2 rather than tied 2-2 before the Gallagher goal broke it open. Stopping the penalty shot by Grabovski changed that game.
Price was the difference in the TO game ? The habs dominated that game pretty badly, it shouldn't have been close.

The SO attempt was grabovski coming in slow as **** and attempting to deke. It was pretty lame.

Quote:
So, even is a season where the chances to drop a game have been much higher than the chances of stealing a game, Price has more steals than drops. He has been a big part of this successful stretch for the team.
He doesn't have "steals". The Ottawa 2-1 win is the closest you can come to possibly calling one of his game a steal. I would not classify it as such. We weren't dominated in that game, and Price wasn't left to himself. It was a tight defensive affair on both sides. And Price was solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I'm not sure it matters to you, but your feelings on the subject coincide with mine. I guess that makes us haters.
I guess my point is that I'm not exactly impressed over his game this season. He's been good. But no more. People take offense to that it seems like.

I'll be happy if he stays solid like this for the rest of the season, and elevates his game to another level in the playoffs. For me, that's the big test for Price this season. The likelihood of us missing the playoffs at this point has got to be less than 5% so we're most likely gonna make it. I want to see what he does there. If he can stay solid, allow no back breaking softies and if he can make big saves to preserve leads when it counts the most.


Last edited by E = CH²: 03-02-2013 at 08:19 AM.
E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
  #115
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia
I don't know what you're trying to cause here. If Price wins, its because the team plays well and it basically has nothing to do with Price.
I'm not trying to cause anything. I'm just stating an opinion you apparently don't like.

Quote:
Btw, your example of great goalie performances, what does it have to do with this thread? These are rare performances, are you saying that you were expecting Price to have similar performance this year because of his top 3 goalie contract?
What it has to do is that you told me I don't watch other goalies and don't notice they have bad games as if I had no clue at all. I was simply grading a bunch of performances to show you that I've seen 20 years of hockey and I can differentiate varying levels of play from a goalie playing behind teams of varying levels of quality.

Quote:
Are you gonna make a big fuss about Price not helping the team get one or 2 extra points in games he hasn't been great?
I am not making a big fuss, I'm fending off pissed off Price fans. I am not going to go back and read my posts again, but I'm fairly sure I said it's not a big deal.

Quote:
What do you want? The teams plays well or the team plays bad and surrender 40 goals so that Price can earn the top 5 title and earn his big contract?
When you say stuff like that, it tells me I've done a poor job of explaining my viewpoint, or you are doing a poor job of trying to understand it, or maybe a mix of both. Whatever the case may be, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
  #116
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,366
vCash: 500
When was the last time we went a week without a fan complaining about something?

We're in 1st place. ****

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:23 AM
  #117
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
My opinion on Price last year.

When his team plays good in front of him he'll win a lot more than he'll lose.

When his team is not in it he rarely bails them out. We rarely say "it would have been a lost... Thank god we had Price"

When we have to lose a game we lose it and Price almost never is a factor in it anyway.

But Price is consistent on another level. He help his team stay in the game almost everytime. He his an excellent goalie.

The doubt I have about Price is... Is he a clutch goaltender. I'm not sure I can answer yes. Is he a good goaltender... without a doubt.

The reason I liked Halak... We knew he was clutch and he won a lot of game where the habs never should have been in in the first place. But he was way less consistant then Price. Which is to say... With a good team, I'd rather have Price... With a bad team... Maybe Halak is a better fit.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  #118
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
When was the last time we went a week without a fan complaining about something?

We're in 1st place. ****
On this board, if are observing something that is not positive, you are whining or complaining.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  #119
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
On this board, if are observing something that is not positive, you are whining or complaining.
11-3-2.

Why are we complaining again?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
  #120
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The problem I have with this is that any time there's a good play by the other team, a defensive mistake or a deflection we can't expect Price to make a save ? Why is he being paid 6.5M again? Sometimes you have to make a more difficult save than usual to bail your team out. That is what top 3 goalies are supposed to do sometimes. We've gotten it done to us this season.

Also, if you look at the Moulson 2nd goal, the shot hit Price's shoulder and went in. It was obviously stoppable, only a matter of an inch more forward or an inch more to the left. Sure it was a great pass by Tavares and a great shot by Moulson, and he was left all alone, and the habs D made a mistake, but maybe a big top-3-goalie save there to preserve the game ? Or maybe a miraculous save somewhere else ? The Nielsen goal in the slot, could Price have come out of his net a little bit to face the shooter and give him less angle ? I guess, for you, the answer is no to all of this. For you, the second a shot is more difficult to save, it's game over, we can't expect a top 3 goalie (in cap hit anyway) to make the big save ?
You are focusing on two perfect shots and saying that Price could have somehow saved them. But you are glossing over the fact that the entire third period, the Isles were coming on and Price held them off again and again.

At any rate, you came out later in this post to say that your definition of a "steal" is when the team leaves Price all alone for the whole game.

So unless he managed to win the game we lost 6-0 against the Leafs, he had ZERO opportunities for a steal.

Not a very meaningful stat in this case.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
  #121
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,351
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
11-3-2.

Why are we complaining again?
15-0 is all I will accept.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  #122
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
11-3-2.

Why are we complaining again?
#1-I'm not complaining.

#2-Team stat, gotta look at the goaltender's performance in the context of the team. If the team only allowed 5 shots on goal every game, and always scored 2 goals minimum, and our goalie's record was 11-3-2 would that mean the goalie is playing well ? Maybe, maybe not. Everything has a context. If you ignore the context, you're omitting crucial information in your analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Y
At any rate, you came out later in this post to say that your definition of a "steal" is when the team leaves Price all alone for the whole game.
I never said anything of the sort ? Don't put words in my mouth.


Last edited by E = CH²: 03-02-2013 at 10:11 AM.
E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
  #123
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
#1-I'm not complaining.

#2-Team stat, gotta look at the goaltender's performance in the context of the team. If the team only allowed 5 shots on goal every game, and always scored 2 goals minimum, and our goalie's record was 11-3-2 would that mean the goalie is playing well ? Maybe, maybe not. Everything has a context. If you ignore the context, you're omitting crucial information in your analysis.
People have provided you with context and given you examples of where Price kept the team in the game when the scores we close or even examples of where he stole games this year. Price is an equal part to the 11-3-2 record as the rest of his team is.


So why are we complaining? Are we still butt-hurt about 2009?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:12 AM
  #124
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 16,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
People have provided you with context and given you examples of where Price kept the team in the game when the scores we close or even examples of where he stole games this year. Price is an equal part to the 11-3-2 record as the rest of his team is.


So why are we complaining? Are we still butt-hurt about 2009?
This is childish I'm out of here.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:30 AM
  #125
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Again, it's these types of statements that have no meaning and are being made for the sole purpose of overrating Price that bother me.

Some goalies win trophies (vezina & conn smythe), sometimes some goalies win both in the same season. Price has yet to be nominated for one of these so clearly, it does get better. I mean... my whole point is that Price isn't doing anything special atm. He really isn't. It's been above average so far. In my world, above average is commendable but not worth gushing over.
Why would it bother you? He's a top 5 goalie in the league for sure and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying he's the best at this point. He's right there with Rinne and Lundqvist at this point.

Price is among the most consistent goalies in the league. Take Johnathan Quick for example (who's a couple of years older) and has had a couple of brilliant years. Quick has been great but he's not as consistent. Both have career save percentages of .916 but on a year by year basis Price has been more consistent and that's what you get from Price.

Five years in the league and he's had one bad year at the age of 21 (most goalies aren't even in the league by then) and even that season he was running at a clip of .930 before getting hurt and coming back too soon.

Other goalies have had better seasons but you're going to be hard pressed to find a goalie who's as consistent as he is. And he's done it as a youngster, in hockey's toughest market on mostly mediocre/bad teams. And he plays more games than anyone not named Pekke Rinne. As for Ken Dryden... put Price on those teams and he'd be winning cups too.

What more do you want from the guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's not because I see something different that it's complaining, whining or whatever. I'm more than satisfied with the habs season so far. It's been a treat to watch. But it's not because the team is having a great season that everything that is said about the team HAS to be positive about every decisions, every players...or is it ?
Do you think that Price hasn't been great? Come on man... he's been our best player on a fairly consistent basis. What more do you want?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.