HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks vs. Red Wings: Robocop Edition, 7:30 PM PST, CSN-CA

Old
03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
anthonyyy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I am not going to root for us to lose but realistically the only way I see DW make changes is if we miss the playoffs. The combination of our start this year, LA's run last year and DW's brain getting too much radiation from the tanning machine has given him a false sense of hope.

Unfortunately for us, by doing that we miss out on the possible picks and prospects we could get for trading Murray, Clowe, Handzus, etc. before the end of the season.

DW was put in charge to help us get the cup. He failed and we are heading in the wrong direction. The sooner he admits he is wrong the better it will be for the team to get back on track.
Do you think that he fears his job is in danger? That would give him very little incentive to blow it up, and he's pretty much playing with house money trying to get the most out of the current roster at possible, and maybe throwing away prospects and draft picks for short term solutions.

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Swedish GP
Rookie User

“I do not believe in excuses, and you’re never going to hear any excuses from us. Two important components of our team are not contributing to the level they need to because of injuries,” Wilson said.

Um excuses? Haha, plus the Clowe thing is a lie, that guy has looked perfectly fine. Enough so where he has no issue engaging people. Wilson believes his own garbage he says its sad.

Swedish GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyyy View Post
Do you think that he fears his job is in danger? That would give him very little incentive to blow it up, and he's pretty much playing with house money trying to get the most out of the current roster at possible, and maybe throwing away prospects and draft picks for short term solutions.
Yep.

I think he won't blow the house up because rebuilding would imply failure and would cost him his job. But all that is really doing is digging us deeper and deeper in a hole

03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Absolutely!

That's the inevitable problem with the business. Doug Wilson desperately wants to make the playoffs even if that means we get swept in the first round, it makes him look better in the present. No one cares about what he is doing to setup the team five years from now.

Its like a coach playing it safe and riding veterans. *cough* TMac *cough* always playing Niemi *cough* There is no incentive to play for the future, you're playing for your job in the present.

Take a look at Brian Burke for instance (say what you will about him) but if Toronto makes the playoffs and does well for the next few years, the current GM will get the credit even though Burke deserves it. Conversely, Burke got to take credit for the Ducks stanley cup, even though it was only his second year. All that being said its always better to look good in the present rather than what you do for the future.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:59 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

We should know better by now. We're making too big a deal of what DW is saying. Really, what else is he supposed to say? The team sucks and a lot of changes are coming?
1. Might make the players grip their sticks even tighter.
2. Price for certain pieces will be higher since teams know you're desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish GP View Post
"Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said recently that the strategy of the game has changed in the past few seasons. Rather than get wait for traffic to get in front of the net before taking a shot, McLellan would rather see his team shoot the puck whenever a lane opens up to the goaltender.

Wilson echoed McLellan’s view, saying that “80 to 90” percent of the goals scored in today’s NHL are, “get to the net, in the paint, rebounds, banking off people, wrap plays. We have not, as a group, done the things necessary to score goals. The results are obvious.”

Wait what, these two statements almost contradict, shoot but dont get to the paint, no get to the paint and get rebounds, what?
They don't contradict at all. McLellan never said don't get to the paint.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:24 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Keep Joe, dump patty, but we are afraid of change... that makes sense.
Dude has an agenda. Every single post he's made has something to do with "Heartless Patty". Seriously, go read his history, it's hilarious.

Quote:
Yup you called it right there, described heart fairly well. Def not a made up term. I will argue this to the death, sorry. You and members like Justaposer dont get it. You guys want to come off as the definitive hockey reference. Your not, sorry...
Whereas you use Patty not wanting to make contact on an icing call, which is actually illegal, as an example of how he's 'heartless'. Yeah, that's one solid argument there.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Why? Because he doesn't throw the team under the bus? Some of you are so dramatic.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Swedish GP
Rookie User

Like I said he beat the guy to the puck and turned and burned Jux, no problem making contact if icing is waived off. yeah...

Swedish GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Like I said he beat the guy to the puck and turned and burned Jux, no problem making contact if icing is waived off. yeah...
Couture wouldn't make contact in the same situation.

Marleau takes an absolute beating in front of the net, never gets much praise for that. He's the best forechecker on the team, doesn't get much recognition for that.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

Marleau takes an absolute beating in front of the net, never gets much praise for that. He's the best forechecker on the team, doesn't get much recognition for that.
Because most think forechecking is body checking defenseman. Its always good to finish your check but if you don't you're "heartless". Guess what..its not a picnic to body check someone..the checker feels it too.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:51 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Dude has an agenda. Every single post he's made has something to do with "Heartless Patty". Seriously, go read his history, it's hilarious.
Do you think he gets paid if he gets a message board to hate Marleau or something? I don't think him thinking Patty is a problem is having an "agenda," it's just not liking Marleau. Kind of like how you love Marleau and defend him at every turn

(This is not to say I agree/disagree on Marleau, I think they all suck.)

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Do you think he gets paid if he gets a message board to hate Marleau or something? I don't think him thinking Patty is a problem is having an "agenda," it's just not liking Marleau. Kind of like how you love Marleau and defend him at every turn

(This is not to say I agree/disagree on Marleau, I think everyone should be traded)
Not every post I make is about how wonderful and god-like Marleau is (shut up :laugh). Every post he makes is about how heartless Marleau is.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I agree. He is fast enough to help with the forecheck and strong enough to win board battles.

Thornton is one of the best in the league at what he does .. i.e passing and play-making. But I think Marleau is a better all-round player. He is just not a leader and does not show much emotion on the ice which a lot of people (Roenik) use to pick on him.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I agree. He is fast enough to help with the forecheck and strong enough to win board battles.

Thornton is one of the best in the league at what he does .. i.e passing and play-making. But I think Marleau is a better all-round player. He is just not a leader and does not show much emotion on the ice which a lot of people (Roenik) use to pick on him.
Eh, I think Thornton's still the better player, Marleau's just a lot better then he gets credit for being.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Eh, I think Thornton's still the better player, Marleau's just a lot better then he gets credit for being.
Better player. Hell yeah. He is an elite playmaker. I am just saying that Marleau is stronger (if just by a little) in more areas than Joe.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Not every post I make is about how wonderful and god-like Marleau is (shut up :laugh). Every post he makes is about how heartless Marleau is.
I feel like you were trying to call someone out here. Anyways really Joe, Patty, and Juicy aren't the problem for generating offense. It's the rest of the team that needs to start doing something.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
If Patty fought 3 or 5 times a year and finished some meaningless checks..a lot of the "heartless" crowd would have no ammo. I'd like Marleau to more physically involved but thats just not who he is and I think its time to accept it.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Clowe Me

The defense needs to start contributing in on the offense. The breakouts, passes and shots in general need to get better from them.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
The defense needs to start contributing in on the offense. The breakouts, passes and shots in general need to get better from them.
Agreed completely.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I feel like you were trying to call someone out here. Anyways really Joe, Patty, and Juicy aren't the problem for generating offense. It's the rest of the team that needs to start doing something.
What? I would never, ever do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
If Patty fought 3 or 5 times a year and finished some meaningless checks..a lot of the "heartless" crowd would have no ammo. I'd like Marleau to more physically involved but thats just not who he is and I think its time to accept it.
I feel you. I just reject the notion that heart = checks/fights. Pavs doesn't fight, Couture doesn't fit, Patty finishes about as many checks as those two, but we don't see anyone calling them heartless. It just seems like a double standard.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
joseph_kerr

Quote:

I feel you. I just reject the notion that heart = checks/fights. Pavs doesn't fight, Couture doesn't fit, Patty finishes about as many checks as those two, but we don't see anyone calling them heartless. It just seems like a double standard.
Come on. Patty gets a bum rap from people but that's not coming out of nowhere. He's the one with the big body and more importantly the wheels to be laying people out. Who's little Joe going to catch while skating in his molasses patch? Couture might be able to take Kyle Wellwood down if he has an extra bowl of wheaties. Maybe.

It's always the opposite of real life. We want the big fella to be a bully. We want him to use his size to push the smaller boys around. We want him to have bad intentions. We just somehow managed to get the two bigs guys from Canada that just want to give peace a chance.

joseph_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:

Well mostly because Patty is a big guy while Pavs is too slow to hit and Couture would probably get killed if he tried.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Who better to score a GWG than a man who can't score?
You mean Brunner? The guy with 10 goals?

Hammerheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
BCShark

was that the detroit series in 07 where patty jumped over the puck resulting in a goal?

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
StalockSuperfan

I think that was Dallas in 08.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote