HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Community: Part Four - Community is Back

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
  #276
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 183,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Don't you think that your attitude right now is on par to a hipster snob talking down someone's intelligence and rolling their eyes at people who they don't feel measure up to their "superior" taste? It's just the other way around.
Nope. Not at all.

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:21 PM
  #277
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Nope. Not at all.
I usually don't mind the bubbly extra enthusiastic fanboyism-- sometimes it's borderline endearing, but I think it's pretty arrogant and should be out of character of you to basically directly trash everyone who disagrees with you and claim that they're doing it wrong or being dishonest or have an attitude problem.

I stopped watching after episode 2/3, and I have no idea if it's gotten better since then, but I'm enjoying myself just fine watching other stuff. I honestly legitimately thought that the first two episodes were as bad as other bad shows like The Big Bang Theory. That's just how I naturally reacted to it, the way I'm sure you naturally react badly to shows that you think are bad and that some people may disagree with. Why would someone need to lighten up or change their attitude about that?

It's exactly as unfair or condescendingly dismissive as someone telling you to "grow up" simply because you like it or something stupid like that. Why sink to that? I see plenty of people trashing the show, but I don't see them trashing you, so why are you going on the offense?


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-01-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 10:28 PM
  #278
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,861
vCash: 500
I thought the season was pretty good so far. The episodes haven't been great, but it's on par with the other average Community episodes of the past seasons.

Could someone also explain to me what having Harmon would've done? Wasn't he just the show's creator and producer? Probably had some input, but it's not like he wrote the majority of the episodes.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 11:21 PM
  #279
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought the season was pretty good so far. The episodes haven't been great, but it's on par with the other average Community episodes of the past seasons.

Could someone also explain to me what having Harmon would've done? Wasn't he just the show's creator and producer? Probably had some input, but it's not like he wrote the majority of the episodes.
The guy probably had bigger input to the show than anyone.

When you have a staff of writers + a showrunner who oversees everything and is as hands on as Harmon is, I don't think too much weight should be put into who the writing credit goes to. The show wouldn't have been what it was without Harmon, just like how Arrested Development would be nothing like it turned out if Mitch Hurwitz didn't stay as the showrunner, despite the fact that he didn't write all/most of the episodes.

The beginning of season 4 seems like pretty strong proof that it he makes a difference, good or bad.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:14 AM
  #280
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Best episode so far for me this season. I laughed soooo hard at the German group and changnesia.

Eisen is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:00 AM
  #281
the overrated
wicked overrated
 
the overrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Suburbia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
The guy probably had bigger input to the show than anyone.

When you have a staff of writers + a showrunner who oversees everything and is as hands on as Harmon is, I don't think too much weight should be put into who the writing credit goes to. The show wouldn't have been what it was without Harmon, just like how Arrested Development would be nothing like it turned out if Mitch Hurwitz didn't stay as the showrunner, despite the fact that he didn't write all/most of the episodes.

The beginning of season 4 seems like pretty strong proof that it he makes a difference, good or bad.
I think that's way too small of a sample size - who's to say that the rest of the season won't be on-par with what it was in the past: some good episodes, some 'meh' episodes, and one or two great ones? Every episode, for me at least, has had a few laughs - none are definite winners for "Worst Episode Ever" which makes it seem that it's not a horrifically worse show now that Harmon is gone - he had a few "WEE" candidates, too.

There's a percentage of fans (not you in particular) that went into the season hoping/expecting to hate it, because Harmon was dismissed. I actually had someone say to me that they were "right" that it sucked, after the first episode. Anything short of orgasmically good was going to prove their theory, it seemed. They were quite obviously looking for an inferior show. That, to me, is "fanboyism" more than someone passively saying that it's not a terrible show now.

the overrated is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:19 AM
  #282
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 183,378
vCash: 500
The lesson is we all have to be open-minded during the new episodes

Can't just quit 3 episodes in and say "I'm done"

Come on

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
  #283
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
I didn't like the most recent episode because I didn't think it was funny.

txomisc is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
  #284
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I only watch to see what they put Annie and Britta into

Jovavic is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  #285
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
I think that's way too small of a sample size - who's to say that the rest of the season won't be on-par with what it was in the past: some good episodes, some 'meh' episodes, and one or two great ones? Every episode, for me at least, has had a few laughs - none are definite winners for "Worst Episode Ever" which makes it seem that it's not a horrifically worse show now that Harmon is gone - he had a few "WEE" candidates, too.

There's a percentage of fans (not you in particular) that went into the season hoping/expecting to hate it, because Harmon was dismissed. I actually had someone say to me that they were "right" that it sucked, after the first episode. Anything short of orgasmically good was going to prove their theory, it seemed. They were quite obviously looking for an inferior show. That, to me, is "fanboyism" more than someone passively saying that it's not a terrible show now.
Keep in mind that this is what I was replying to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Could someone also explain to me what having Harmon would've done? Wasn't he just the show's creator and producer? Probably had some input, but it's not like he wrote the majority of the episodes.
My point there wasn't that the first few episodes ares proof that the show's gone downhill or something, I'm saying it's proof that the tone will be different.

I don't think there's any chance it's going to be the same type of show without Harmon. So of course he has a ton of input (that's what I was replying to). Whether it ends up being a better or worse show is unrelated and remains to be seen... I guess (I'm just saying that to be fair... not sure how much I actually believe in that possibility).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
The lesson is we all have to be open-minded during the new episodes

Can't just quit 3 episodes in and say "I'm done"

Come on
Sure you can. Why not? Listen, if I hear that it suddenly becomes something worth watching again, I'll catch up again. It's not as much of a kneejerk reaction as you think because I was ready to walk away from the series if it continued to be like the poor episodes of season 3. It's been alot worse than that so far, IMO. I doubt you would stick around much longer if you liked it the same amount that I do right now.

Also, it's only a lesson if it changes or gets good again (and it doesn't make sense for YOU to call it a lesson because you liked it to begin with-- That's like liking the first three episodes, then liking the fourth episode just the same and being all "eat crow, everyone!"-- doesn't make sense)


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 04:09 PM
  #286
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovavic View Post
I only watch to see what they put Annie and Britta into
They almost always come through in that regard.

Jack Donaghy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  #287
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,076
vCash: 500
"It's okay, you were just following orders"

This show is like Adam Dunn. Horrible batting average, but once in a while hits a home run.

kmad is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
  #288
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Last couple of episodes were not as funny.

Respect Your Edler is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
  #289
Yzlamic Extremist
Registered User
 
Yzlamic Extremist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 629
Season 3 had a slow start as well, I agree with the small sample size argument.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  #290
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
I started disliking Community starting from season 3.

DennisReynolds is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
  #291
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,724
vCash: 2391
Seems like the group is just relearning the same lessons every episode.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:49 AM
  #292
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
The lesson is we all have to be open-minded during the new episodes

Can't just quit 3 episodes in and say "I'm done"

Come on
I'm still going to watch, but there is no denying this season has been awful. The last episode wasn't funny at all.

And people complain about sitcoms with laugh tracks not being funny...

Community is done after this season.

ProPAIN is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
  #293
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,553
vCash: 500
Not sure why people complain so much about this one - I thought it was a solid episode. The ending was lazy though.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  #294
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,469
vCash: 500
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

Muppet episode coming in April, with guest star Jason Alexander

Teemu is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
  #295
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,553
vCash: 500
Ugh...

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
  #296
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,140
vCash: 420
I think I heard that Tim Heidecker is going to guest star. Looking forward to that episode.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  #297
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I think I heard that Tim Heidecker is going to guest star. Looking forward to that episode.
His face improves every scene. He practically stole Bridesmaids for me, he has such a stupid but mischievous look on his face all the time.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  #298
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 183,378
vCash: 500

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 05:53 PM
  #299
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,202
vCash: 500
That's really.....


.........bad.

clefty is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
  #300
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 183,378
vCash: 500

Francesa is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.