HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
  #76
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I still don't think that Ducks fans get that Perry could walk for absolutely nothing...
I doubt you know what having a shot at a deep playoff run is, but I wouldnt call it nothing.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
  #77
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
we have the 2nd best record in the league, if the leafs were in the same position would you trade Kessel?
For Perry signed to a 1 year deal? Yea

I'm not saying that they should trade Perry, but if they do they aren't getting Kessel + Frattin + 1st or whatever other deals have been proposed in here.

Kessel straight up? Sure, but even then, the leafs must be 100% they can sign him.
Kessel ++? No way.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
  #78
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Cool, Perry is more valuable to Anaheim than 1 year of Kessel, same situation a year later, and we make our team worse no thanks. 28 other teams would love Perry and can fit our needs better
28 other teams? You think 28 other teams are willing to part with proven talent for the chance to spend 7-8M over the next 8 years?

You're basically trading for negotiating rights and better than 3/4 of the league aren't even in the position to be in the running.

Kessel for neg rights is massive overpayment.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
  #79
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
If he's a long-term solution because he could potentially sign long-term with Anaheim, then the same could be said about Perry. And they've had a much longer relationship with him than they would with Kessel.

But maybe the better play for Anaheim is to trade Perry for better long-term assets, and then try to trade for Kessel on the cheap a year from now. I mean, that's the reasoning people seem to be using when it comes to Perry (you're better off with a downgrade because you might lose him for nothing later!).

Man, some people around here act like having a team good enough for a decent crack at the Cup comes along all the time. I'm sorry, but two years of mediocrity isn't better than one great year followed by a *potential* need for a rebuild.
Yes, right now it could... but the entire premise of this thread is that signing Corey Perry is not an option for Anaheim. Is that premise certain right now? of course not, it's simply a possibility that will become more certain one way or another as we approach the deadline.

If Anaheim is content to rebuild, and send that message to Ryan Getzlaf, then they might do best long term to rebuild and cash out on both of them... miss the playoffs for the next few years, alienate their fanbase, etc. That doesn't seem to be something they're prepared to do.

The simple fact is, if the ducks management is remotely competent. They're going to sign or trade Corey Perry before the deadline. They cannot afford to lose him for nothing. If Perry doesn't want to sign, that leaves 1 option -- a trade. You're then left with rebuilding, or if Perry's willing to negotiate an extension with the Leafs, making the best of a bad situation and getting a guy like Kessel. Yes, the team is probably going to get a little bit worse, but it's not like loosing your franchise player and replacing him with some 21 year old prospect. You get a guy who can score almost as good as he does, while freeing up money to add depth or potentially pay Getzlaf more.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
  #80
Sevey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
If the Ducks trade Perry, I am sure it would have an impact on Getzlaf. Maybe enough to want to be traded. Consider Bozak, Kessel, McArthur and Gunnarson. If this is possible, I would do it in a minute.

Sevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
  #81
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR
 
Joe Sakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Leafs would have to add a bit...

However, if the Ducks knew that Corey Perry was going to test the FA market no matter what, then they'd most certainly take it.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
  #82
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
If the Ducks trade Perry, I am sure it would have an impact on Getzlaf. Maybe enough to want to be traded. Consider Bozak, Kessel, McArthur and Gunnarson. If this is possible, I would do it in a minute.
Yes of course you'd consider that. Getzlaf is not being traded, zero % chance

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:34 PM
  #83
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,938
vCash: 500
Toronto:
Lupul-Kadri-Perry


Anaheim:
Ryan-Getzlaf-Kessel

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
  #84
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
I haven't kept up with this thread, but is the general consensus that Anaheim could fetch a better return than Phil Kessel? Because that is so laughable.

Jerkini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
  #85
Gliff
Kesbae
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Toronto:
Lupul-Kadri-Perry


Anaheim:
Ryan-Getzlaf-Kessel
I doubt Kessel would play with Getzlaf. He doesnt have the physical style beeded. Teemu is very similar to Kessel and Teemu and Getzlaf suck together.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:19 PM
  #86
Gliff
Kesbae
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I haven't kept up with this thread, but is the general consensus that Anaheim could fetch a better return than Phil Kessel? Because that is so laughable.
I love that you assume the worst. No Ducks fans are asking for Kessel+ or saying we could get better.

A Leafs fan did offer Komi+prospect though

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:11 PM
  #87
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The simple fact is, if the ducks management is remotely competent.
Oh I see, so deciding to go for the Cup this year would be a sign of *incompetence* ... interesting Hfboards logic.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:18 PM
  #88
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,709
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade for Perry knowing the cost, I'd take my chances he hits free agency.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:15 AM
  #89
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I love that you assume the worst. No Ducks fans are asking for Kessel+ or saying we could get better.

A Leafs fan did offer Komi+prospect though
An Anaheim fan wanted Kessel + Gardiner + 1st

It's easy to pinpoint one idiot; to try to make it seem like a group of people are unreasonable.

Unsigned Perry is not worth a signed Kessel; no way in hell. We'll pick him up for free later in the year. If we miss; we can trade Kessel for someone who actually has a contract next year.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:46 AM
  #90
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
An Anaheim fan wanted Kessel + Gardiner + 1st

It's easy to pinpoint one idiot; to try to make it seem like a group of people are unreasonable.

Unsigned Perry is not worth a signed Kessel; no way in hell. We'll pick him up for free later in the year. If we miss; we can trade Kessel for someone who actually has a contract next year.
Yeah I guess one day you'll eventually get one

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:03 AM
  #91
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Oh I see, so deciding to go for the Cup this year would be a sign of *incompetence* ... interesting Hfboards logic.
A top heavy, budget team, cannot afford to go past the deadline with it's 2 best players being impending UFAs.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:09 AM
  #92
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
If the Ducks trade Perry, I am sure it would have an impact on Getzlaf. Maybe enough to want to be traded. Consider Bozak, Kessel, McArthur and Gunnarson. If this is possible, I would do it in a minute.
Cool.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:10 AM
  #93
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
A top heavy, budget team, cannot afford to go past the deadline with it's 2 best players being impending UFAs.
Top heavy?

Yep, someone hasn't watched Anaheim much this season.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:19 AM
  #94
topshelf15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I can't wait till trade deadline one way or the other.

Does anyone know if Perry has a good relationship with Carlyle? He did win the Hart+Rocket under him.

I hope we can get him before he gets to UFA...because it will suck trying to outbid at least 6-7 teams if he wants to play close to home.

If he is UFA and wants to play close to home, he's going to go to Ottawa . #1C, #1D, good team and system...
To be honest it does seem like a fit,not that it wouldnt be for the leafs but they seem to be pretty deep at the wing .Iam not too sure if they would blow their dough on another winger ,iam thinking they land a center first

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
  #95
EucaLEAFtys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Underdark
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
To Toronto: Corey Perry (UFA)
To Anaheim: Phil Kessel

Bob McKenzie says that Corey Perry will not be signing on with the Anaheim Ducks. Perry is likely to be traded before the deadline, unless the Ducks change their minds and part with Ryan Getzlaf (very unlikely). Phil Kessel finished 6th in league scoring last season and has another year on his contract at around $5.5M. He will be an UFA in July of 2014.

Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a scout. He loves Phil Kessel, for good reason.

Kessel could flourish in a hockey market like Anaheim.

Perry is a perfect fit for the Toronto roster.
I'd love to see a swap like this happen.

It seems to make sense given the situation surrounding Perry. With Burke now working for Anaheim as a scout, it would make suense that he would push to acquire Kessel, given the massive hard-on he has for Kessel.

Now, whether or not a swap like could be pulled off is one thing, but for the Leafs to do it without giving up too much youth is a completely different story.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:07 AM
  #96
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
A top heavy, budget team, cannot afford to go past the deadline with it's 2 best players being impending UFAs.
A potential Cup contender doesn't dismantle its team. Reducing your chances this year only to end up in the same spot next year (when according to your argument they should just trade kessel for a lesser player) is true incompetence. Basically you're saying two years of mediocrity is better than going for the Cup.

Better to rebuild after a Cup run than to never have a run at all, and then be forced to rebuild just one year later anyway. Asset management is a means to an end (ie Cup contention) ... it is not the end itself.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:09 AM
  #97
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
If the Ducks trade Perry, I am sure it would have an impact on Getzlaf. Maybe enough to want to be traded. Consider Bozak, Kessel, McArthur and Gunnarson. If this is possible, I would do it in a minute.
Why don't you just add Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner too...to make it fair.

We don't want to rob anyone.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
  #98
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I love that you assume the worst. No Ducks fans are asking for Kessel+ or saying we could get better.

A Leafs fan did offer Komi+prospect though
Late first, decent prospect and 2nd seems like a better deal than Kessel to you? There are people saying Kessel+ for Perry..

You do know that Perry is most likely a rental if he doesn't sign before the deadline?

Kessel is only being offered if Perry agrees to sign with the Leafs..otherwise there is no reason to trade Kessel for 20 games of Perry and see him walk.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:13 AM
  #99
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
we have the 2nd best record in the league, if the leafs were in the same position would you trade Kessel?
Easily. The Leafs have been trying shortcuts and short term deals for a long time...if Kessel doesn't want to sign before trade deadline, I'd trade him even if our record was as good as Chicago's right now.

Long term future > short term.

Nashville lost Suter because of that thinking. Pretty sure Poile would have traded him at the deadline if he had another chance.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:22 AM
  #100
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Easily. The Leafs have been trying shortcuts and short term deals for a long time...if Kessel doesn't want to sign before trade deadline, I'd trade him even if our record was as good as Chicago's right now.

Long term future > short term.
So you should never have any star free agents? I guess the Ducks should have traded Selanne and Giguere instead of winning the Cup in 2007 then. Maybe Niedermayer too since he was considering retirement .... After all why let him retire for nothing when you can secure your long term future?

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.