HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Rodman calls North Korea's Kim an "Awesome Guy"

Old
03-01-2013, 05:02 PM
RonFournier

vCash: 500
Seems like a great guy to me!

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
I wonder how China feels about this burgeoning US-NK relationship. Obviously they're baby steps but China seems to have less and less control and the Americans seem to be slowly inching closer to a 'friendship'. It's Rodman obviously but like I said - baby steps.
Personally, I think a lone nut basketball player visiting North Korea would probably barely rate on China's grand "Giving a rat's ass" scale. "Inching closer to a 'friendship'"...yeah, not really so much. It's more like "millimetering". This isn't any kind of diplomatic mission. I really don't know what the hell Rodman's doing there tbph. Maybe he really is that much of a raving megalomaniac that he thinks he can actually influence international relations, I dunno.

And whatever the Bush family are, they've got nothing on the Kim family. Anyone thinking the Kims are nice people needs to do some serious research on their internal policies. North Korea's a very serious competitor for worst place in the world, and the horrible Kim family is why. They make the Bushes look like Quakers.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Personally, I think a lone nut basketball player visiting North Korea would probably barely rate on China's grand "Giving a rat's ass" scale. "Inching closer to a 'friendship'"...yeah, not really so much. It's more like "millimetering". This isn't any kind of diplomatic mission. I really don't know what the hell Rodman's doing there tbph. Maybe he really is that much of a raving megalomaniac that he thinks he can actually influence international relations, I dunno.

And whatever the Bush family are, they've got nothing on the Kim family. Anyone thinking the Kims are nice people needs to do some serious research on their internal policies. North Korea's a very serious competitor for worst place in the world, and the horrible Kim family is why. They make the Bushes look like Quakers.
Twitter has been set up in NK (regardless of how limited and censored it is, hey China - you block it ENTIRELY), didn't high ranking google execs also go recently along with others in the tech community?

YEAH it's not just Rodman and nutters who love communism for some reason.

so yeah - you being right... not so much. Goes hand in hand with being a canucks fan though so no biggie.

Last edited by Tubby Tuke: 03-01-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Eisen

seems like a good development, right? I mean, could you have thought about stuff like that 10 years ago? Not getting my hopes up high but still.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:22 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Twitter has been set up in NK (regardless of how limited and censored it is, hey China - you block it ENTIRELY), didn't high ranking google execs also go recently along with others in the tech community?

so yeah - you being right... not so much. Goes hand in hand with being a canucks fan though so no biggie.
It doesn't matter that NK has Twitter and China doesn't because regular people can't get internet access without government approval, only high ranking officals are allowed access to the internet. Regular people only have access to NK local intranet. Sure, NK might allow twitter but for all intents and purposes the internet is banned in NK.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
The internet has been opened up to tourists too; it's part of a plan to attract people to the Pyongyang Hotel that's about to be completed. Information is going to enter the country with the recent internet expansion; I see it as inevitable.

Anyway, I'm watching a pirated stream of North Korean state TV and they are pushing this Rodman story like crazy.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:03 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
seems like a good development, right? I mean, could you have thought about stuff like that 10 years ago? Not getting my hopes up high but still.
My thoughts too. More exposure to the West for the new young Supreme Leader could be a positive development.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
A very good basketball player turned basketcase overnight.
don't you mean a very good basketcase turned basketball player overnight?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Puck
Ninja

Rodman might be right, nobody knows for sure. This might be a Thatcher/Gorbachev moment (I can do business with this man) or a Chamberlain/Adolph moment (he was wrong thinking he could do business with that man). There might be an attempt by some in North Korea to modernize along the China model (even that would be an improvement). Until now, a Stalinist military bureaucracy has been ideologically against change, maybe they see the writing on the wall and with some backroom Chinese prodding are taking steps to change. An Arab Spring type movement would not work here, it would be crushed harshly. Change would have to come from within the existing power structure and that's always a tough sell. But maybe the insider elites in the North have had a Chinese-like epiphany and developed a vision about keeping power while making profits, who knows. If so, it might be a dangerous pivotal moment if there is a reaction by some against change.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

It won't do anything I don't think

Despite this, Kim is still a maniac developing nuclear weapons

Will be more interesting to see how the new SK president handles NK. Will she makes good on campaign promises and tries to re conciliate peacefully...or will she take a hard-line approach like her father?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Maybe he wanted to go because he had the opportunity to go to a place most westerners will never be able to visit. I'm sure there is nice scenery in many parts of North Korea.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Octavius
Next #18?

vCash: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Despite this, Kim is still a maniac developing nuclear weapons
What's that country called again, that is the only one to use nuclear weapons against civilians? I do believe that sanctions are needed against such a barbaric country.

NK needs to change, I only hope Kim has learned that and that the military bureaucracy isn't strong enough to resist the change.

Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
The internet has been opened up to tourists too; it's part of a plan to attract people to the Pyongyang Hotel that's about to be completed. Information is going to enter the country with the recent internet expansion; I see it as inevitable.

Anyway, I'm watching a pirated stream of North Korean state TV and they are pushing this Rodman story like crazy.
I think the eventual downfall of NK regime will have more to do with Chinese

As China continues to step onto world stage they will be more frustrated with the dead weight they are forced to protect in NK

If NK ever starts a war or attempts to start a war that will put Chinese economy at risk and the PRC wont tolerate that IMO

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

China still sees NK as buffer hence strong relations

Will be reluctant to part with NK

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
bombers15

China moreso doesn't want millions of refugees flooding its borders. Keeping North Koreans in North Korea is pretty much their policy.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
A very good basketball player turned basketcase overnight.
No, more like a guy who was always a basket case, who at one time was a damned fine rebounder in basketball.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Eisen

I wonder where this idea of NK as a buffer for China comes from. You wouldn't need NK to attack China (not that anyone wants that or I would condone such a move). Look at their borders. You think these measly kilometres of border are any kind of protection?

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:

Only a tiny percent of the North Korean population would have access to twitter, that percent being government officials. It's not about loving communism, it's about the things the Kim regime has done to its own people which are easily accessible with a few mouse clicks. So you knowing anything about North Korea, not so much. Goes hand in hand with being an idiot.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Denis Rodman?

for some reasons I lost it when I saw spiderman

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Actually, this isn't the weirdest thing that Dennis Rodman has done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDCPSx9nPsQ&t=3m54s
ROTFL , I'm sure he just let her win to try to sleep with her later on

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:31 AM
yotesreign

Really, Rodman going to North Korea has ruined a great movie line for me.

In Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, Spock has a great line:
"Nixon went to China."

If the writers had known what we know now, Kirk could have replied, "Rodman went to North Korea..." and smirked.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Really, Rodman going to North Korea has ruined a great movie line for me.

In Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, Spock has a great line:
"Nixon went to China."

If the writers had known what we know now, Kirk could have replied, "Rodman went to North Korea..." and smirked.
I believe the actual line was "Only Nixon could go to China".

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Kresnik

I think it's beautiful that two so different people can find friendship like that, I'm sure they had much in common. Kim is a huge basketball fan.

Kim is just playing the role he was given at birth, it was his "unfortunate" destiny to be the leader of North Korea. I will not judge, who am I to judge anyway.
I hope all the best to North Korea and Kim.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
I think it's beautiful that two so different people can find friendship like that, I'm sure they had much in common. Kim is a huge basketball fan.

Kim is just playing the role he was given at birth, it was his "unfortunate" destiny to be the leader of North Korea. I will not judge, who am I to judge anyway.
I hope all the best to North Korea and Kim.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Jatt

Send Rodman to Camp 22 to see how "awesome" North Korea is. smh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_22

Quote:
Conditions in the camp

Former guard Ahn Myong-chol describes the conditions in the camp as harsh and life-threatening. He recalls the shock he felt upon his first arrival at the camp, where he likened the prisoners to walking skeletons, dwarfs, and cripples in rags. Ahn estimates that about 30% of the prisoners have deformities, such as torn off ears, smashed eyes, crooked noses, and faces covered with cuts and scars resulting from beatings and other mistreatment. Around 2,000 prisoners he says have missing limbs, but even prisoners who need crutches to walk must still work. Prisoners get 180 g (6.3 oz) of corn per meal (two times a day), with almost no vegetables and no meat. The only meat in their diets is from rats, snakes or frogs they could catch. Ahn estimates that 1,500–2,000 people die of malnutrition there every year, mostly children. Despite these deaths, the inmate population remains constant, suggesting that around 1,500–2,000 new inmates arrive each year. Children get only very basic education. From six years on they get work assigned, such as picking vegetables, peeling corn or drying rice, but they receive very little food, only 180 g (6.3 oz) in total per day. Therefore many children die before the age of ten years. Old people have to work to their death. Seriously ill prisoners are quarantined, abandoned, and left to die.

Single prisoners live in bunkhouses with 100 people in one room. As a reward for good work, families are often allowed to live together in a single room of a small house without running water. But the houses are in poor condition; the walls are made from mud and have a lot of cracks. All prisoners have to use dirty and crowded communal toilets.

Ahn explained how the camp guards are taught that prisoners are factionalists and class enemies that have to be destroyed like weeds down to their roots. They are instructed to regard the prisoners as slaves and not treat them as human beings. Based on this the guards may at any time kill any prisoner who does not obey their orders. Kwon reported that as a security officer he could decide whether to kill a prisoner or punish him in other ways, if he violated a rule. He admitted that once he ordered the execution of 31 people from five families in a collective punishment,because one member of a family tried to escape.

There are beatings every day, if prisoners do not bow quickly or deeply enough before the guards, if they do not work hard enough[61] or do not obey quickly enough. It is a frequent practice for guards to use prisoners as martial arts targets. **** and sexual violence are very common in the camp,[64] as female prisoners know they may be easily killed if they resist the demands of the security officers
All for being 'suspected' of speaking or thinking against the government, this clown would have been packed in to that camp by the time he was 12.

Last edited by Jatt: 03-04-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote