HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burkle investor in Sacramento Kings

Old
02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 500
Burkle investor in Sacramento Kings

I feel this is worthy of a thread.

Burkle was trending on Twitter so naturally I went to check it out. He was named as an investor along with Mark Mastrov in a plan to buy the Sacramento Kings and keep them there. Reading comments, they want to revitalize the downtown area there.

So what does this mean for the Penguins? Will the man who pretty much told Shero to make the Hossa trade and called the meeting that (sort of) led to Therrien's firing still be a central figure in the organization? Or do you see him focusing more on the basketball team close to home should the transaction go through?

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Its just another toy in his toy chest. Simple as that. I do not see it changing much, if anything.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

strange. my folks have recently moved to an hour away from Sacremento after living for 25 years in the south Bay Area. i'm not over the moon about either development, but i guess at least my brother and i can swoop in on some tickets when we visit.

as to Burkle, i don't think this changes anything with regards to his participation in Pens management. reminds me a bit of Denise DeBartolo York, she owned the Pens during the Mario cup years, while her brother, Edward J. DeBartolo Jr. owned the 49ers. their father had owned the Pens since 1978.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
madinsomniac

There was ample speculation that while option #1 was to keep the kings in Sacremento, that may end up being undoable. The next most likely spot will be moving them into Seattle, though the govt there isnt making that option easy either. Even before Burkle's involvement started up a few months back, the talk was that Pittsburgh would be option #3. Yes, that is correct. The NBA has been comtemplating moving a team there since the Mellon Arena days, but really stepped up the idea when CEC came into play. Many of the in the knows have said that Burkle will try to make the team viable in sacremento, but if they wont give the team what it needs to survive, it could be moved back to Pgh to split time with the pens at CEC. It may be another step towards a all pgh sports channel. the Lemieux/Burkle group tried to pry the Pirates from Bob Nutting's hands a few years back for that reason.

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 PM
WarriorScholar

He's not going to be able to afford to keep bylsma around

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Jaded-Fan

I posted this a while ago. I would prefer that he did not have his focus divided, but truthfully he was about as way behind the scenes owner until now as it is. I doubt he spends too much time thinking about the Pens, except when we negotiated the new arena deal. I think that we are an investment and he likes Mario mostly. I do not get the sense that we are a passion to him. Maybe a way to meet young chicks too once he saw that young cute girls like hockey.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

California boy with money wanting to keep a team in California.

Jaded and I are step-in-step in thoughts on this.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Fire Shero*

He is the owner with a back bone, I don't want him focusing all of his attention on the kings. What if Shero has to ask him for permission to make a trade again, like the Hossa trade?

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 03-01-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Racist.
Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I really don't think Burkle is going to give the Kings a whole ton of attention if this does happen - seems he's just the money guy with the golden reputation in the state doing something to bolster his standing even further.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I really don't think Burkle is going to give the Kings a whole ton of attention if this does happen - seems he's just the money guy with the golden reputation in the state doing something to bolster his standing even further.
what you did there, i see it.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
He is the owner with a back bone, I don't want him focusing all of his attention on the kings. What if Shero has to ask him for permission to make a trade again, like the Hossa trade?
Pick up the phone and call him then. The NBA & NHL trade deadline hardly ever collide, I think we'll be just fine.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
There was ample speculation that while option #1 was to keep the kings in Sacremento, that may end up being undoable. The next most likely spot will be moving them into Seattle, though the govt there isnt making that option easy either. Even before Burkle's involvement started up a few months back, the talk was that Pittsburgh would be option #3. Yes, that is correct. The NBA has been comtemplating moving a team there since the Mellon Arena days, but really stepped up the idea when CEC came into play. Many of the in the knows have said that Burkle will try to make the team viable in sacremento, but if they wont give the team what it needs to survive, it could be moved back to Pgh to split time with the pens at CEC. It may be another step towards a all pgh sports channel. the Lemieux/Burkle group tried to pry the Pirates from Bob Nutting's hands a few years back for that reason.
The current owners have an agreement in place to sell the Kings to Hansen and have already petitioned the NBA to relocate to Seattle on behalf of new owners. Burkle's name just came up in a last minute attempt to keep team in Sacramento. Pretty much up to NBA now.

Hansen group has arena deal in place with local Seattle government provided a NBA team is acquired. I hope Kings come to Seattle as then chance of an NHL team becomes likely. And Burkle can keep focus on Pens.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 03-02-2013 at 12:56 AM.
nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
If this was to happen,I think Pittsburgh be the smallest market with all 4 "Big Four" Sports. Not sure if there is room in town for another team, especially if the Pirates ever get their **** together and people start going to games.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote