HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Anthony Stolarz (London/OHL) and free agent RW Brandon Alderson to ELC

Old
03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Big boy who can skate. Why not?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I believe he was talking about this year, but at least we now also have a chart for next year to look at potential holes and moves within the organization. Should we move that chart to the future rosters thread?
Sure, why not?

NOTE: He is right though. We are at 49 because Sestito got claimed. That is without slide risking Stolarz and Alderson though because there is no need. Their contracts go into effect at the start of the next CBA cycle.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Alderson goes to the Phantoms next year to play on a line with Cousins.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
From the Phantoms' perspective and how the signings impact them:

http://therinkreport.blogspot.com/20...ito-while.html

Quote:
Additionally, the Flyers signed goaltender Anthony Stolarz and forward Brandon Alderson to entry-level contracts. Stolarz was Philadelphia's second-round pick in the 2012 draft, while Alderson was an undrafted forward that had been playing with the OHL's Sault-Ste-Marie Greyhounds. That's the same team that 2011 third-rounder Nick Cousins plays for, so scouts are clearly familiar with him.

Both Stolarz and Alderson will see their entry-level contracts kick in next season.

Stolarz started the season with Nebraska-Omaha, but left to play junior hockey for the London Knights. He is 9-2-1 with London with a 2.17 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.

Because Stolarz was drafted from a team in the North American Hockey League, not Canadian major juniors, he is eligible to play in the AHL next season. He could theoretically join the Phantoms on an amateur try-out contract later this season, once the Knights conclude their season and playoff run.

Alderson has recorded 57 points in 59 games in what will be his final season of junior hockey. He too could join the Phantoms on a try-out once the Greyhounds conclude their season. Both London and Sault-Ste.-Marie have no regular season games scheduled past March 17, but those players cannot join the Phantoms until the regular season ends and their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I was talking about this year. But yeah it will be nice to have some flexability for next season. I dont think Blake Kessel and Harper will be back.
Ill mention his name again because I really hope Holmgren takes a run at him this spring.

http://omavs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6647&path=mhockey

#3 Andrej Sustr
Position: Defenseman
Height: 6-8
Weight: 225
Class: Junior
Hometown: Plzen, Czech Rep.
Junior/High School Hockey: Youngstown (USHL)
That's why Sestito being claimed isn't a bad thing. The Flyers have missed out on the last couple of big name college free agents because they didn't give them an NHL contract to start and burn off a year of eligibility. The Flyers were in the final group for J.T.Brown, Casey Wellman, and Stephane Da Costa ,whom at the time were the most desired guys, but lost out because the team each signed with put them in the NHL for a game right away at the end of the season. With a contract now to give, the Flyers can offer Sustr that opportunity. Not saying Sustr is going to be any better than Lauridsen and looking at those other names it shows what a crap shoot it is wih these guys, but at this point it can't hurt.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:34 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I figured they would wait until after his season was over to sign Stolarz.
Today is apparently the first day to sign players to ELCs that won't count toward this season.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=27

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
ahthorne

Alderson is huge. Seems like he could be a decent AHL guy with some 4th call-up potential.

I'm hoping Stolarz can develop into a solid goalie with the Phantoms. That team needs some help, though. Big time.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Glad he's finally signed. Since he's not in college anymore and in the OHL, this makes sense to sign him. Hopefully it means we can see more of him (in the future, of course).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...h-signing.html

#10 on my list. He's actually turned it on even more offensively the last month or so and I'd probably have him a tad higher on that list now.

He's a solid signing if you've got the room. Big kid who can really skate. Plays physical, can play both ends. Offensive potential isn't high but he has a pretty decent release which could see him score a few goals at the next level. Could develop into a solid 4th liner.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

I have no problem with giving Stolarz his ELC they are very high on him and i think it will help him develop knowing they do.And playing in London for the Hunters and working with Dark the goalie coach he only will get better.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

http://thehockeywriters.com/player-p...man-on-campus/

great article!

Would love if homer take a chance on him!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

They probably signed alderson because (barring legal status) they expect cousins to play for the phantoms next season and they assume it'd be nice for hi to have a friend from juniors with him to perhaps help his comfort level/development.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
I was talking about this year. But yeah it will be nice to have some flexability for next season. I dont think Blake Kessel and Harper will be back.
Ill mention his name again because I really hope Holmgren takes a run at him this spring.

#3 Andrej Sustr
Czech? Do it!

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
They probably signed alderson because (barring legal status) they expect cousins to play for the phantoms next season and they assume it'd be nice for hi to have a friend from juniors with him to perhaps help his comfort level/development.
I think you're reading too much into it. This signing has little to do with making Cousins feel more comfortable or where he'll play next year. While following Cousins' progress they obviously saw Alderson play a lot and liked his potential enough to sign him and hope his development curve is on the way up. They sign an overager every year. I was watching some Soo highlights a couple weeks ago to catch any glimpse of Cousins as I could and I couldn't help but wonder who this Alderson guy was- scored a hattrick. Funny how that turned out. Can't really complain about signing big guys who can skate and have gotten better (if only incrementally) each season.

Also notice they didn't rush to sign Suellentrop. Everyone always pencils him in as a signee, but I think he's this year's Ranford.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. This signing has little to do with making Cousins feel more comfortable or where he'll play next year. While following Cousins' progress they obviously saw Alderson play a lot and liked his potential enough to sign him and hope his development curve is on the way up. They sign an overager every year. I was watching some Soo highlights a couple weeks ago to catch any glimpse of Cousins as I could and I couldn't help but wonder who this Alderson guy was- scored a hattrick. Funny how that turned out. Can't really complain about signing big guys who can skate and have gotten better (if only incrementally) each season.

Also notice they didn't rush to sign Suellentrop. Everyone always pencils him in as a signee, but I think he's this year's Ranford.
Agreed. Homer is not a man who waits till the last minute to sign the guys he likes. He usually signs them a year before they are "due," which leads me to think Suelly may not be in the plans. An honest question because I don't know the answer: when is the last time he waited till this late in the game before signing the prospect (Suellentrop)? Scrolling through the years I'm thinking maybe Clackson in 05 but thats about it, and he was never in the Flyer plans, only the Phantoms. Everyone else from his draft year has a contract (except for Placek who they have many years yet to decide on), and one of them (Noebels) got his contract about 3 seconds after the very first prospect game. I don't think it help Suellentrop that the Flyers drafted so many D this year and some appear to be decent prospects. I had the opportunity to watch a Vermont game this year and was actually surprised and how fluid of a passer Luukko was, and you know he'll be given every possible chance to succeed.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Agreed. Homer is not a man who waits till the last minute to sign the guys he likes. He usually signs them a year before they are "due," which leads me to think Suelly may not be in the plans. An honest question because I don't know the answer: when is the last time he waited till this late in the game before signing the prospect (Suellentrop)? Scrolling through the years I'm thinking maybe Clackson in 05 but thats about it, and he was never in the Flyer plans, only the Phantoms. Everyone else from his draft year has a contract (except for Placek who they have many years yet to decide on), and one of them (Noebels) got his contract about 3 seconds after the very first prospect game. I don't think it help Suellentrop that the Flyers drafted so many D this year and some appear to be decent prospects. I had the opportunity to watch a Vermont game this year and was actually surprised and how fluid of a passer Luukko was, and you know he'll be given every possible chance to succeed.
Suellentrop seems like he is a defensive defenseman with little offense and we already have one of those in the wings in Lauridsen. So perhaps that has something to do with it.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:34 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:

#3 Andrej Sustr
Imagine Sustr, Grossmann, Luke Schenn, and an angry Coburn. Flyers would have about 80 hits per game.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
awesome. another useless undrafted CHL free agent signed to a contract

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

There's 0 chance that Stolarz plays in the AHL next year. The Hunters want him back next year and with their close relationship with Comcast and Lukko, it won't surprise me at all if there's an agreement in place in which the Flyers leave Stolarz with the Knights again next season. Perfect place for him to play too. Adirondack is still a bit of a mess, so it makes no sense to put a blue chip goaltender there. Wait until there's some good depth and winning begins to happen before exposing a blue chipper there. That's what worries me about Cousins being there next year (depending on his legal issues of course). I know Terry Murray is trying to fix things there, but as much as people say the AHL is more about development than winning, consistently losing also takes it toll on players.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There's 0 chance that Stolarz plays in the AHL next year. The Hunters want him back next year and with their close relationship with Comcast and Lukko, it won't surprise me at all if there's an agreement in place in which the Flyers leave Stolarz with the Knights again next season. Perfect place for him to play too. Adirondack is still a bit of a mess, so it makes no sense to put a blue chip goaltender there. Wait until there's some good depth and winning begins to happen before exposing a blue chipper there. That's what worries me about Cousins being there next year (depending on his legal issues of course). I know Terry Murray is trying to fix things there, but as much as people say the AHL is more about development than winning, consistently losing also takes it toll on players.
That's why in my NHL 13 game I always sign players with higher ratings

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Murray can only do so much with the crap he's been given

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:21 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Suellentrop seems like he is a defensive defenseman with little offense and we already have one of those in the wings in Lauridsen. So perhaps that has something to do with it.
Very few defensive defenseman at his size. He's not small but generally true shutdown guys are bigger guys. His offense just doesn't make up for that. I'm sure the Flyers would rather use a contract on one of the college FA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
awesome. another useless undrafted CHL free agent signed to a contract
David Clarkson
David Desharnais
Marc Andre-Bergeron
Francis Bouillon
Dan Girardi
Brenden Dillon

and probably some other guys I missed

Not the sexiest names, but some pretty good players who were unsigned CHL overagers and turned out to be pretty good NHL players. Not every guy signed turns out this way, but if you can get a guy to fill a bottom 6 or bottom pairing role in the NHL, then that's pretty good value. The key is to try and sign guys with upside who were overlooked previously for whatever reason. These are nice signings when your team lacks draft picks like the Flyers have in recent years.

Brandon Manning looks like a decent player who can fill an NHL bottom pairing role in the near future. Akeson, while he may never be a full-time NHL player, is a pretty good AHL player who might be able to fill a top 6 role if someone goes down. Kind of like a Keith Aucoin kind of guy. Who knows, maybe two years from now Konan is a guy that steps up and shows he can be an NHLer.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Not the sexiest names, but some pretty good players who were unsigned CHL overagers and turned out to be pretty good NHL players. Not every guy signed turns out this way, but if you can get a guy to fill a bottom 6 or bottom pairing role in the NHL, then that's pretty good value. The key is to try and sign guys with upside who were overlooked previously for whatever reason. These are nice signings when your team lacks draft picks like the Flyers have in recent years.

Brandon Manning looks like a decent player who can fill an NHL bottom pairing role in the near future. Akeson, while he may never be a full-time NHL player, is a pretty good AHL player who might be able to fill a top 6 role if someone goes down. Kind of like a Keith Aucoin kind of guy. Who knows, maybe two years from now Konan is a guy that steps up and shows he can be an NHLer.
This is it. You have to trust your scouts and find talent where you can. I don't really know much about Alderson, but if, as the one article says, the GM has had calls from 15-20 teams about him, then it's good for us that we signed him. They will have seen him a lot playing with Cousins. He's big, fast, smart and has good character. That's a start.

In Brock's post he linked to his top10 overage FAs list, and there are a few kids playing with Oshawa who the Flyers will have seen a lot too.

Wonder if we'll see one of them signed, after having our scouts watching Laughton and Suellentrop all year?

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...h-signing.html
Quote:
7. Geofrrey Schemitsch - Oshawa Generals
Thanks to some injury issues and the lack of development in his offensive game, the Lightning chose not to sign Schemitsch last year. But he's managed to stay healthy this year and is having his best season since his draft year with Owen Sound. If you watch Oshawa play, it's as if Schemitsch never leaves the ice. He logs well over 30 minutes a game (especially lately with all the injuries they've encountered). Even though he matches up against the opposition's best on a nightly basis, he's managed to stay at a +12 clip. He's not a physical defender, but is effective at playing the angles. You rarely see him getting beaten defensively. Offensively, he moves the puck well, although conservatively. Like Shipley, it'll be interesting to see if an NHL team gives him a second chance.

5. Scott Sabourin - Oshawa Generals
Sabourin has proven to be one of the league's most improved players this season. With 16 goals on the year, he's already set a new career high, and he's second on the Generals. He's been playing in the top 6 practically all year for Oshawa, showing great chemistry with Scott Laughton of late. He's got great size and he uses it well with the puck and without. With the puck, he has enough puck skill to generate scoring chances with drives to the net. And without the puck, he's a huge factor along the wall and is terrific in the cycle. He'll drop the mitts, back checks well, and is a reliable penalty killer. In a lot of ways Sabourin reminds me of Adam Payerl last year, who ended up getting an NHL deal from the Penguins. He could certainly be an effective role player at the next level.

2. Matt Petgrave - Oshawa Generals
Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that I've been a big fan of Petgrave since he entered the league as an undrafted free agent. He's such an athletic defenseman who has a ton of great tools. He can carry the puck up the ice with ease thanks to his skating ability. He runs the powerplay well. He is one of the most feared and aggressive hitters in the league. He has pretty good size at about 6'1, 190lbs. That said, there are some areas of his game that have never really improved during his time in the league. He's still prone to turnovers in his own end, and his ability to defend in zone coverage situations never really took that next step. This could point to some deficiencies in the hockey sense department. But the athletic tangibles are there and I think he's still striving to reach his potential. Josh McFadden got an NHL contract last year and I certainly think Petgrave is the better prospect.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:14 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Imagine Sustr, Grossmann, Luke Schenn, and an angry Coburn. Flyers would have about 80 hits per game.
maybe 80 hits per game but probably less than 2 games scored for in 80% of the games

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
That's why Sestito being claimed isn't a bad thing. The Flyers have missed out on the last couple of big name college free agents because they didn't give them an NHL contract to start and burn off a year of eligibility. The Flyers were in the final group for J.T.Brown, Casey Wellman, and Stephane Da Costa ,whom at the time were the most desired guys, but lost out because the team each signed with put them in the NHL for a game right away at the end of the season. With a contract now to give, the Flyers can offer Sustr that opportunity. Not saying Sustr is going to be any better than Lauridsen and looking at those other names it shows what a crap shoot it is wih these guys, but at this point it can't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/player-p...man-on-campus/

great article!

Would love if homer take a chance on him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Czech? Do it!

He had teams knocking on his door last offseason but he decided to go back to school. That article is spot on. He is a smart player on both ends of the ice and knows what to do with the puck in both ends. Isnt going to put guys into the 5th row, but he will hit you when given the chance and more importantly you very rarely see him out of position.
Now granted its a huge step up in the level of talent he will be playing against at the next level but He is a guy I want in the system. Hes probably going to need some seasoning in the AHL for a season or so, but hes well worth the risk. Especially with the Flyers who are in need of defensive prospects below the NHL level.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Murray can only do so much with the crap he's been given
In fairness, Joe Paterson pretty much had the same roster and they almost qualified for the playoffs under his watch. Just sayin'..........

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote