HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Feaster?

View Poll Results: Should Jay Feaster Be Fired?
Yes 288 81.36%
No 66 18.64%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2013, 07:05 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodangles View Post
Burke never once brought in grinders at the expense of good picks.

Orr -- signed as FA
Brown -- 122nd overall in '10, Chris Wagner -- who?
MacLaren -- signed as FA
Steckel -- 4th rnd pick
Komarov -- drafted by Leafs
McClement -- signed as FA

See, this is what I mean. People in the West has no clue what they're talking about when it comes to Burke.

EDIT: I will also say that there were lots of signings Burke made -- like Acouin, Fraser, Crabb, all of which are playing key roles on their respective teams, and Fraser leads the league in +/- playing big minutes for us -- when people bashed Burke for supposedly only targeting grinders. Now look.
He is probably referencing the Luke Schenn and Tyler Biggs draft selections.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Bodangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He is probably referencing the Luke Schenn and Tyler Biggs draft selections.
Luke Schenn was drafted by Cliff Fletcher.

Tyler Biggs is a gamer. I watch this kid in the O all the time. This kid is not your average grinder-type. He will play in the NHL and be an impact player. We traded up to get him too. A realistic ceiling for Biggs is a David Backes type player -- top six, big body, for whom points are not the major concern but will come in droves nevertheless. His bottoming out for me is a Ryane Clowe type player. I know that doesn't give a lot of wiggle room but that's because I know what I'm talking about and am positive Biggs isn't a 'throwaway' draft pick on some grinder plug.

EDIT: AND... AND... Biggs is way better than... who was it you drafted again... Jankowski???

Last edited by Bodangles: 03-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Bodangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I completely agree. I would have loved to see Davidson come here.
I doubt Davidson would want to come here only to be another yes man to the owners.

The Flames aren't just a joke on HF, league-wide opinion of them isn't very high.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Body Checker

I've liked what Feaster and Weisbrod have done, the changes, the drafting BUT

After listening to Dreger, Johnson and Ken Holland how/why did the Flames not make a simple phone call to the NHL? I do think Calgary would have won this dispute (i posted my reasons in the O'Reilly thread) but why not double check, confirm, be sure?

This is either arrogance (we know the rules, screw the NHL) or incompetence (which the statement was meant to hide).

I don't know, tough one but I think I want him gone. Only thing that will change my opinion is what we do before April 3rd. If he makes some astute trades then I might change my opinion.

Or did they want O'Reilly so bad they knew the chance they were taking? Wow if true that means our 1st is in play for a center.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I've liked what Feaster and Weisbrod have done, the changes, the drafting BUT

After listening to Dreger, Johnson and Ken Holland how/why did the Flames not make a simple phone call to the NHL? I do think Calgary would have won this dispute (i posted my reasons in the O'Reilly thread) but why not double check, confirm, be sure?

This is either arrogance (we know the rules, screw the NHL) or incompetence (which the statement was meant to hide).

I don't know, tough one but I think I want him gone. Only thing that will change my opinion is what we do before April 3rd. If he makes some astute trades then I might change my opinion.

Or did they want O'Reilly so bad they knew the chance they were taking? Wow if true that means our 1st is in play for a center.
Probably because nobody from the NHL bothered to tell the teams about the CBA issues, so the assumption was made that ROR didn't have to go through waivers.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Probably because nobody from the NHL bothered to tell the teams about the CBA issues, so the assumption was made that ROR didn't have to go through waivers.
Honestly, it sounds to me like a lot of people forgot about that detail, not just Flames front office forgetting/interpreting it wrong or anything else. Only today are you hearing the analysts and so on say that it is a good thing this didn't go through, yesterday they were all talking about how this was going to be a great move by Feaster if we got ROR. ROR's agent also seemed to forget about the waiver detail, or at least that is how it sounded on TSN.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames CBA Guy View Post
Honestly, it sounds to me like a lot of people forgot about that detail, not just Flames front office forgetting/interpreting it wrong or anything else. Only today are you hearing the analysts and so on say that it is a good thing this didn't go through, yesterday they were all talking about how this was going to be a great move by Feaster if we got ROR. ROR's agent also seemed to forget about the waiver detail, or at least that is how it sounded on TSN.
TSN actually roasted the Flames a bit more than I expected but they made one point that caught my attention: Flames' management may disagree with the league's interpretation but it is, ultimately the league's interpretation (Based on the entire CBA in their possession) and the fight might have been a lost cause for the Flames.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Apparently the player's representative shared the same interpenetration and position as the flames did. Either way I don't think this is grounds to be fired on. He has a decent job so far and hasn't done anything terrible. That being said we need a big trade (Not Iginla) but someone big for someone else big. EX. Jay bouw, Giordano, or Glencross.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I have no faith in Feaster to trade Iginla, especially after this and the Regehr trade. Jay is a likable guy for sure, and I wish him and his family well, but this mistake is severe and he should be allowed to respectfully resign.

I would totally be in favor of hiring Burke.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM
bloggerfanthe*

All I know is I don't have any faith in Feaster doing any moves going forward. If he continues to be trouted out by King and Edwards expect an extension for Comeau or something ridiculous like that. Like I said Feaster is nothing but a puppet and a Yes man.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:27 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:

Tyler Biggs is a gamer. I watch this kid in the O all the time. This kid is not your average grinder-type. He will play in the NHL and be an impact player. We traded up to get him too. A realistic ceiling for Biggs is a David Backes type player -- top six, big body, for whom points are not the major concern but will come in droves nevertheless. His bottoming out for me is a Ryane Clowe type player. I know that doesn't give a lot of wiggle room but that's because I know what I'm talking about and am positive Biggs isn't a 'throwaway' draft pick on some grinder plug.

EDIT: AND... AND... Biggs is way better than... who was it you drafted again... Jankowski???
Biggs is garbage haha.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Apparently the player's representative shared the same interpenetration and position as the flames did. Either way I don't think this is grounds to be fired on. He has a decent job so far and hasn't done anything terrible. That being said we need a big trade (Not Iginla) but someone big for someone else big. EX. Jay bouw, Giordano, or Glencross.
I wouldn't be against moving Giordano for a stay at home defensive defencemen if someone was available (although I've been having troubles figuring out who exactly that would be).

Anyways, back on topic: Should Feaster be fired? Maybe. Will he be fired? Probably not, consider the cluster **** of these 2 days (nobody caught this CBA issue yesterday, nobody from the NHL bothered to to tell both parties involved, and what was considered a 'they can't loose' situation for the Flames has turned into 'They dodged a massive bullet' scenario).

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It's tough because Feaster is much better than Sutter. While I appreciate a lot of Feaster's moves, this one is inexcusable. Poor guy has no margin for error unfortunately. I voted no because the devil you know is better than the devil you don't
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the Flame's ever sank this low in the standings with Sutter at the helm. Its the same team, glaring inconsistency and what's becoming more apparent, a lack of heart/desire to win. It's time for change, fire Feaster, hire Burke and let him pilot the rebuild.

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Let's think forward about this, what does this do to the players from here on in for the remainder of the season?

This debacle of an event will be looming over the team all season if they continue to struggle and will likely become a huge distraction initiated by the media. Unless the Flames suddenly go on a long win streak, after every loss the discontent from the fans calling for Feaster's head will likely continue to grow as someone needs to be the fall guy.

I feel so bad for Iginla right now that he's associated with this mess. If this does continue to grow into a looming issue, I hope we do the classy thing for Iggy and move him to a contender and I'd like to see Feaster resign and we really do start fresh.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:38 PM
flameaholic

Flames fans are bipolar. We demand that Feaster go out and acquire a #1 center, so he makes a bold play for ROR, now we're calling for his head.

I have to give Feaster credit for making such a ballsy move, and not just for Ryan O'Reilly. He's also at one point tried to acquire Brad Richards and Kyle Turris. It's certainly not for a lack of effort that we still don't have a #1 center.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i dont like deaster as Gm but hes done some good stuff for calgary

However i want Conroy as our GM.... I have a man crush on the guy... such a great person and wasnt a terrible player

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:

Actaully it was Bartschi.... a simple google search could have told you that but here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Flames+2011+1st+round+pick+

BTW jankowski was our 1st in 2012 and hes looked solid as a 18 year old in his first year so yeahhhh....

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
TrickRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Flames fans are bipolar. We demand that Feaster go out and acquire a #1 center, so he makes a bold play for ROR, now we're calling for his head.

I have to give Feaster credit for making such a ballsy move, and not just for Ryan O'Reilly. He's also at one point tried to acquire Brad Richards and Kyle Turris. It's certainly not for a lack of effort that we still don't have a #1 center.
I'm not entirely convinced that ROR is a #1 center. He only had 55 points last year and has never cracked 20 goals.

In any case, we would have lost him when he went through waivers. Feaster's incredibly lucky that the Avs matched.

TrickRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Sam Pollock

This should be the one and only reason why Feaster needs to be relieved of his duties. The only problem is who do you replace him with? Burke is not the answer nor is Howson. Of the three though, I would rather have Howson and that's said out of deperation without any other choices involved.

My choice for the short term would be Craig Conroy on an interm basis until someone suitable is available. Definately not my first choice but perhaps the most viable one at the moment. Maybe he can surprise us and actually be competent.

The sad part is that between the time the Feaster made the offer and until Colorado matched, it was the most exciting part of the season for the Flames so far. Pathetic.

According to TSN, there were four other teams that put an offer in for O'Reilly. Does anyone know who? Also, it shows there are four other gms just as dumb as Jay.

One last thing. Even if O'Reilly did become a Flame, this cemented two believes I have about Feaster and the Flames - the Flames have no intention of rebuilding and Feaster is on the hot seat for job.

I have a feeling he's going to make a signifigant trade with our 2013 1st round pick to try and make the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am.

This team just keeps breaking my heart every step of the way.

Sam Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pollock View Post
This should be the one and only reason why Feaster needs to be relieved of his duties. The only problem is who do you replace him with? Burke is not the answer nor is Howson. Of the three though, I would rather have Howson and that's said out of deperation without any other choices involved.

My choice for the short term would be Craig Conroy on an interm basis until someone suitable is available. Definately not my first choice but perhaps the most viable one at the moment. Maybe he can surprise us and actually be competent.

The sad part is that between the time the Feaster made the offer and until Colorado matched, it was the most exciting part of the season for the Flames so far. Pathetic.

According to TSN, there were four other teams that put an offer in for O'Reilly. Does anyone know who? Also, it shows there are four other gms just as dumb as Jay.

One last thing. Even if O'Reilly did become a Flame, this cemented two believes I have about Feaster and the Flames - the Flames have no intention of rebuilding and Feaster is on the hot seat for job.

I have a feeling he's going to make a signifigant trade with our 2013 1st round pick to try and make the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am.

This team just keeps breaking my heart every step of the way.
Conroy would be the absolute worst GM for the Flames! Horrible situation to even consider putting him in, having to deal away his buddies. He just isn't far enough removed from being one of the boys. I want a cold, strictly business and winning orientated GM....Burke is the only real choice. The Flames would be crazy not to turn this mess into an opportunity and hire him

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I'd rather rehire the Sutters than make Conroy the GM. Don't get me wrong, I love Conroy, but he is not the solution.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
Actaully it was Bartschi.... a simple google search could have told you that but here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Flames+2011+1st+round+pick+

BTW jankowski was our 1st in 2012 and hes looked solid as a 18 year old in his first year so yeahhhh....
besides ill take the potential top 2 centre in jankowski over the potential third line grinder in biggs any day of the week.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:20 AM
fallsviewafro
Finnish goalies

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post

The issue is not that he signed ROR to an offer sheet.

The issue is that he signed ROR to an offer sheet under the assumption that his own interpretation of the CBA's waiver provisions would super-cede the league's interpretation and hence would have lost a 1st and a 3rd round pick for absolutely nothing, not to mention not even landing ROR.

Its not about an offer sheet. Its about gross incompetence.

Quote:
Why are you on another team's board, dickwaving over a prospect vs. prospect comparison in a topic that literally has nothing to do with it? Go away, thanks.

fallsviewafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:26 AM
JustChatting

I think Feaster should be let go because he isn't doing a good enough job of making the Flames a better team. They seem to have some good ideas but then just lack in the implementation of the plan.

JustChatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
I was willing to give Feaster 3-4 years to right the ship.

Now it turns out that he almost ****ing SANK it? He screws the pooch in the one area of strength (interpreting legalese) he brings to the table?

I want to believe that he's not that incompetent. I have to believe that. Other teams also allegedly put forth offers so obviously Feaster isnt the only one who missed this, or something else is going on that isn't widely known.

In any case, thank dog that Colorado matched.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote