HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Around the NHL Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Just glad both of them got their shot. Bishop definitely deserved it.
Agreed. It's easier to root for them since they're in the Eastern Conference too. Although, I'd probably root for Bishop even if he played for the Hawks quite honestly.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
It's a shame we didn't have room for Bishop here. And I am totally in favor of keeping Elliott and think it was the right move, Ben just got caught in a numbers game and I'm very happy for him as well that he's getting a chance elsewhere (especially in the East as mentioned above). He seems like a great guy.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Alklha

I have to laugh at the Flames offersheeting ROR! I have no sympathy at all for the Avs, they knew the situation and overvalued him to a stupid degree via trade if the reports of what the Rangers offered are true.

$2.5m signing bonus, $1m salary this year and $6.5m salary next season. If the Avs match then they can't trade him and his qualifying offer for 2014/15 would be $6.5m or he becomes a UFA. If the Avs don't match then they "only" get a first and third. Albeit Calgary's first which could be a decent pick.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I have to laugh at the Flames offersheeting ROR! I have no sympathy at all for the Avs, they knew the situation and overvalued him to a stupid degree via trade if the reports of what the Rangers offered are true.

$2.5m signing bonus, $1m salary this year and $6.5m salary next season. If the Avs match then they can't trade him and his qualifying offer for 2014/15 would be $6.5m or he becomes a UFA. If the Avs don't match then they "only" get a first and third. Albeit Calgary's first which could be a decent pick.
It's a bad situation for Colorado either way but every single roster decision the Calgary Flames make defies logic. It's the worst run organization in the league outside of the Islanders.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Meh, the guy clearly didnt want to play in Colorado, they are gonna have two really high picks in a good draft year, let him go.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
It's a bad situation for Colorado either way but every single roster decision the Calgary Flames make defies logic. It's the worst run organization in the league outside of the Islanders.
They are lucky it was the Flames that put the offer forward and they might get a decent pick if they don't match. Fact is though, the Flames have a decent chance of making the playoffs if they add ROR. Their management is dumb enough to make more moves that might hurt the team long term just to make the playoffs this season. In which case the Avs could very well end up with a 16-20 pick & a late third.

Edit: Also, if the Flames get him, make the playoffs and then sign him long term in the summer in the $4.5m-$5m range long term... it could be an outstanding move. A lot of trust to put in a guy who has just held out for this long though.

Last edited by Alklha: 02-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
They are lucky it was the Flames that put the offer forward and they might get a decent pick if they don't match. Fact is though, the Flames have a decent chance of making the playoffs if they add ROR. Their management is dumb enough to make more moves that might hurt the team long term just to make the playoffs this season. In which case the Avs could very well end up with a 16-20 pick & a late third.
Flames are not ROR away from making the playoffs, their team is dreadful

Old
02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
SirPaste

Quote:

Edit: Also, if the Flames get him, make the playoffs and then sign him long term in the summer in the $4.5m-$5m range long term... it could be an outstanding move. A lot of trust to put in a guy who has just held out for this long though.
Qualifying offer is 6.5 mil, he wont be siging with them for less

Old
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Flames are not ROR away from making the playoffs, their team is dreadful
Short season, they are currently only 3 points out with fewer games played than some of the teams above. ROR certainly puts them close. Long term, they are clearly still papering over the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Qualifying offer is 6.5 mil, he wont be siging with them for less
1 year/$6.5m or 8y/$40m? The qualifying offer is a scary thing for both the Flames and Avs here, but I would be surprised if the Flames aren't planning an offer like that in the summer and I'd be surprised if ROR didn't take it.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:

That's why it's a bad situation for Colorado. At the end of the day, the Flames won't be bad enough to make that a prime pick (top 7) and their development as an organization is severely stalled since they lose a really important player but don't get any immediate help.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I don't think Colorado can match this, but if they do he may still be tradeable in a year (but with an annual salary of at least 6.5M).

Its great for Calgary to get a good player, but really this is just more of the same. They can't seem to get enough good players at the same time, and they stay mired in mediocrity. I think they'd be wiser to have accumulated some picks for this draft and embrace the rebuild.

Colorado had a great assortment of young talent, and still have a lot of it, but they are not moving forward. To lose ROR and get more attractive draft picks.....they should be farther along than that. They were pretty similar in the timing of their rebuild with St Louis. But I think you see a dramatic difference in the competence of their respective front offices.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't think Colorado can match this, but if they do he may still be tradeable in a year (but with an annual salary of at least 6.5M).

Its great for Calgary to get a good player, but really this is just more of the same. They can't seem to get enough good players at the same time, and they stay mired in mediocrity. I think they'd be wiser to have accumulated some picks for this draft and embrace the rebuild.

Colorado had a great assortment of young talent, and still have a lot of it, but they are not moving forward. To lose ROR and get more attractive draft picks.....they should be farther along than that. They were pretty similar in the timing of their rebuild with St Louis. But I think you see a dramatic difference in the competence of their respective front offices.
Apparently he wont be tradeable for two years unless the trade deadline is in March next year which it might not be under the new CBA. All depends on the end of the season.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Wow, this really puts Colorado in a tough spot. I hope their scouts are excited about this draft.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:59 PM
BlueDream

That's going to be an awkward situation with him back on the Avs.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
That's going to be an awkward situation with him back on the Avs.
I'm sure most of the players won't care that much. One of their beat-writers seems to have been trying to ****stir with implications that Duchene wasn't happy with the situation. How much truth there is in that, who knows.

The Avs must have a good idea of what the plan to do in the summer of 2014 already with Stastny an UFA, Duchene a RFA and ROR a RFA needing $6.5m to be qualified.

Stastny to the Blues as an UFA? 7 years @ $4.5m per to come home? I can dream!

Old
03-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Alklha

Apparently Calgary have got extremely lucky that the Avs matched their offer to Ryan O'Reilly.

If Colorado had decided not to match, they would have received a 1st & 3rd as compensation, and then ROR would have had to pass through waivers before being eligible to play for the Flames! So the Flames would have lost their picks for nothing.

Damn... I wish Colorado hadn't matched, the ****storm that followed that would have been hilarious.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
I'm sure most of the players won't care that much. One of their beat-writers seems to have been trying to ****stir with implications that Duchene wasn't happy with the situation. How much truth there is in that, who knows.

The Avs must have a good idea of what the plan to do in the summer of 2014 already with Stastny an UFA, Duchene a RFA and ROR a RFA needing $6.5m to be qualified.

Stastny to the Blues as an UFA? 7 years @ $4.5m per to come home? I can dream!
It's not just the players in the locker room though. O'Reilly and the front office have got to have a strained relationship. He just missed about half the season only to get what he wanted (and the Avs will be overpaying him next season). They can't trade him for a year. He better light it up offensively or things won't be better. The Avs just are not in a good situation here. It wasn't good managing by Sherman...IMO he should have been traded long ago.

I would like Stastny though.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Mike Liut

what a great pass by Toews for the GW

Old
03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Mike Liut

I hope the Hawks keep their streak alive. Let them exert as much energy as possible chasing the record. They are pretty much playing playoff hockey right now. Good for them. In rd 2 when we meet, the Blues will be playing their best hockey and the Hawks will be gassed. Let's see if they remain healthy too.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I hope the Hawks keep their streak alive. Let them exert as much energy as possible chasing the record. They are pretty much playing playoff hockey right now. Good for them. In rd 2 when we meet, the Blues will be playing their best hockey and the Hawks will be gassed. Let's see if they remain healthy too.
I think it was on NHLN but it might have been during the hawks game tonight or some where else entirely, but they were talking about if it would be good for the Hawks to lose a game. Part of the reasoning was the added stress pressure and energy of trying to keep up the streak.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
I think it was on NHLN but it might have been during the hawks game tonight or some where else entirely, but they were talking about if it would be good for the Hawks to lose a game. Part of the reasoning was the added stress pressure and energy of trying to keep up the streak.
Not much pressure, they've won enough games already so they really don't have anything to lose (other than the game ).It's unrealistic to shoot for the Philly record, right now it's just about playing solid hockey, but if a loss comes their way its not the end of the world.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Saturday morning West standings:

1. Chi +18
2. Ana +12
3. Van +5
4. LA +4, 18gp
5. STL +4, 20gp
6. SJ +3
7. Min +2, 20gp
8. Det +2, 21gp, 8row
9. Nsh +2, 21gp, 7row
10. Phx +1, 20gp
11. Dal +1, 21gp
12. Col 0, 7row
13. Edm 0, 6row
14. Cgy -1
15. Clb -7

Old
03-02-2013, 11:20 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Apparently Calgary have got extremely lucky that the Avs matched their offer to Ryan O'Reilly.

If Colorado had decided not to match, they would have received a 1st & 3rd as compensation, and then ROR would have had to pass through waivers before being eligible to play for the Flames! So the Flames would have lost their picks for nothing.

Damn... I wish Colorado hadn't matched, the ****storm that followed that would have been hilarious.
I love the part where Calgary's GM states that their interpretation of that rule differs from the NHL's when questioned about it.

Which interpretation do you think the league is going to go with?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:34 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I love the part where Calgary's GM states that their interpretation of that rule differs from the NHL's when questioned about it.

Which interpretation do you think the league is going to go with?
Just insane. Its like arguing about whether a gun was loaded after you put it up to your head and then later pull the bullet out.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I didn't follow the ROR thing super closely (obvs saw Calgary signed, Avs matched). So Columbus basically would've had O'Reilly if they chose to pay him, and Calgary would've still lost the picks? Or would Columbus lose the picks?

Closed Thread