HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers 2 Blues 4

Old
03-02-2013, 01:10 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

vCash: 500
this was a loss from the get go...and since they will lose many games on this roadtrip, this one is "ok"

the key is to beat the beat the one thes they're chasing like Minny, Detroit, Nashville (I know they're chasing St. Louis, but they're not gonna catch them IMO)

if theywin those 4-point games, they're in decent shape

hope Hall is ok

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:11 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

How about Whit...I mean Smid on Oshie

I don't get Krueger's duos. I see little chemistry in the top 2 lines.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Njoy Oilers

Missed Fistric back there tonite. Opposition should use bigger nets, as our guys mean well, but can't hit the broad side of a barn. Jones looked tired all night in the top six, and hands of stone. Not sur if they have won 2 in a row yet this year?

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:23 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Missed Fistric back there tonite. Opposition should use bigger nets, as our guys mean well, but can't hit the broad side of a barn. Jones looked tired all night in the top six, and hands of stone. Not sur if they have won 2 in a row yet this year?
Back in January we won against Colorado and Phoenix.

We are the definition of a .500 team right now.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
All part of learning process but Hemsky has been around long enough to know better. Also Kruger should on inserted some fresh legs in this game being 2nd in 2 nites, Mps would have had the best step of all players on both teams tonight. And after sitting out Dallas he would of had fire in his belly, And its really time to split up top line, Nuge is struggling huge.
Agreed with this. Smyth should not being playing the 2nd game in back-to-back games anymore at this point--especially when you have a capable guy in Paajarvi in the PB who can step in and not hurt the team in any way, and has scored a couple of clutch goals this year (those are the only 2 goals he's scored, but still). Time for Gagner to take RNH's spot on the top line; he's just not bringing anything at all to the table offensively. I'd put Horcoff above him at this point in a scoring role, when he's back--plus I think RNH is better defensively, anyway.

When Horcoff is back, and if RNH is still a dud offensively, I'd like to see these lines:

Yak - Gagner - Eberle -- Give this line the 'easy' minutes and matchups
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky -- Horcs and Hemsky have always had some chemistry
MPS - RNH - Jones -- Shut down line against opposing top lines
Eager - Belanger - Petrell -- Meh

Edit: forgot Smyth. I'd try atleast a few games with Yak on that top scoring line and see if he can find his game. If he just can't get it going or find his groove, then I'd try Smyth there. Gagner and Eberle aren't the fastest skaters, so Smyth should atleast be able to keep up somewhat with these two. Maybe he can help them get a cycle game going.

As bad as RNH has been offensively, he's been terrific defensively. Only makes sense to put him in a defensive role at this point until whatever is affecting his offensive game is corrected.

Last edited by KarmaPolice: 03-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.
KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this was a loss from the get go...and since they will lose many games on this roadtrip, this one is "ok"

the key is to beat the beat the one thes they're chasing like Minny, Detroit, Nashville (I know they're chasing St. Louis, but they're not gonna catch them IMO)

if theywin those 4-point games, they're in decent shape

hope Hall is ok

What? They had a 2-0 lead in the 2nd period.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Agreed with this. Smyth should not being playing the 2nd game in back-to-back games anymore at this point--especially when you have a capable guy in Paajarvi who can step in and not hurt the team in any way, and has scored a couple of clutch goals this year (those are the only 2 goals he's scored, but still). Time for Gagner to take RNH's spot on the top line; he's just not bringing anything at all to the table offensively. I'd put Horcoff above him at this point in a scoring role, when he's back--plus I think RNH is better defensively, anyway.

When Horcoff is back, and if RNH is still a dud offensively, I'd like to see these lines:

I'm an idiot

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Agreed with this. Smyth should not being playing the 2nd game in back-to-back games anymore at this point--especially when you have a capable guy in Paajarvi in the PB who can step in and not hurt the team in any way, and has scored a couple of clutch goals this year (those are the only 2 goals he's scored, but still). Time for Gagner to take RNH's spot on the top line; he's just not bringing anything at all to the table offensively. I'd put Horcoff above him at this point in a scoring role, when he's back--plus I think RNH is better defensively, anyway.

Lines are better than what we are putting out now.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
I'm an idiot
Huh? Elaborate.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Agreed, Jones looked like he had no place in the top 6. Wasn't a factor at all, dont know if he even touched the puck.

Would like to see

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (Has Yak been on a top 6 RW spot this year yet? Give him a chance to succeed!)
Eberle-RNH-Hemsky (Hemsky's had a lot of jump to his game, could kickstart RNH)

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:45 AM
NHLTradeRumors

Quote:
Agreed with this. Smyth should not being playing the 2nd game in back-to-back games anymore at this point--especially when you have a capable guy in Paajarvi in the PB who can step in and not hurt the team in any way, and has scored a couple of clutch goals this year (those are the only 2 goals he's scored, but still). .
I disagree. Smyth played great and he looked better than most other Oiler forwards. He played hard and setup some good plays. Other forwards may be faster than him but that does not mean they are better hockey players than him.

NHLTradeRumors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I didn't watch the game but any time you blow a 2-0 lead you chalk it up as a piss poor effort.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
What? They had a 2-0 lead in the 2nd period.
Did you feel comfortable with that lead?

Old
03-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I didn't watch the game but any time you blow a 2-0 lead you chalk it up as a piss poor effort.
Put it this way Blues did not have to open it up Oilers did it for them.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:53 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Trades View Post
I disagree. Smyth played great and he looked better than most other Oiler forwards. He played hard and setup some good plays. Other forwards may be faster than him but that does not mean they are better hockey players than him.
Smyth is still a good hockey player, but he's also a better player at his age when he's not over-used or played. Case in point was last year when he started strong but faded since he wore down very quickly. I have no problem playing Smyth, but I think it's better for both him and the team when he's kept relatively fresh. The fact that he barely played 15 minutes tonight (only four Oiler forwards played less; Belanger only 17 seconds behind him), even with Hall out relatively early, shows that his body just can't handle it.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:54 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Will be interesting to see Yak on the first line and Pajaarvi on the second line next game.

I mean, I assume that is what will happen with Hall out.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:13 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Huh? Elaborate.
Completely misunderstood your post.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:17 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

Quote:
Completely misunderstood your post.
Ah okay. No worries; it happens.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:08 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Hemsky drives me mental with his lax play and careless attention to detail. I cannot see this team winning anything major with him in the lineup. We need more mental toughness and hard on the puck players.
I don't fully agree but I must admit that it's just such a shame that he's a competely superior hockey player to Jordan Eberle at this point in time. While Hemsky may be too "pretty" to achieve any sort of major accomplishment for this team in your opinion, at least he shoots the damn puck when he's got the opportunity to.

My way of fixing this team is to do nothing and tell them that they all suck. I think that's something that hasn't been done since 2006.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sure, the whole team sucked, Dubnyk can't let in a weak goal like that. If it wasn't for that goal, we had a great chance of getting at least a point, maybe 2 if it went to a shootout.

Inexcusable. He knew it too.
Dubnyk is incredibly frustrating. Back to at least one weak goal a game.

The team around him is improving. Tonight was a really poor game overall, but there was still a chance to win until Dubnyk's softie.

When was the last time the Oilers had a team that had a hope of winning a poor game overall with a decent (not spectacular) game from their goalie? 2008-09 season?

The Oilers sit 22nd overall with as many points as games played. (Not really .500 ) Finishing 20th to 24th seems quite likely.

It is a definite improvement.

Playoffs would have been a possibility this year if the Oilers had a reliable starting goalie.

On the plus side Whitney played quite well. If he keeps it up, or at least doesn't stink like he has most of the season, he should fetch something nice at the trade deadline.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Dubnyk is incredibly frustrating. Back to at least one weak goal a game.

The team around him is improving. Tonight was a really poor game overall, but there was still a chance to win until Dubnyk's softie.

When was the last time the Oilers had a team that had a hope of winning a poor game overall with a decent (not spectacular) game from their goalie? 2008-09 season?

The Oilers sit 22nd overall with as many points as games played. (Not really .500 ) Finishing 20th to 24th seems quite likely.

It is a definite improvement.

Playoffs would have been a possibility this year if the Oilers had a reliable starting goalie.

On the plus side Whitney played quite well. If he keeps it up, or at least doesn't stink like he has most of the season, he should fetch something nice at the trade deadline.
No. Playoffs would be a possibility if our vaunted first line could actually make a difference in a hockey game. 4, 1 and 6 goals respectively doesn't cut it.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

When is trading deadline?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:12 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
When is trading deadline?
The league has personally given the Oilers an extension until February 2015.

T-Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:24 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Dubnyk has to save the GWG. Brutal goal.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Chef10

This team needs to start keeping things simple all they do is try and make highlight reel plays and that doesnt work all the time!!! Our D needs to learn how to play 2-1's, isn't the rule play the pass and let the goalie have the shooter well we didnt do that on the 4th goal and that isnt the first time i have seen that this season from our D. If we can't do that right, we are in trouble thats for sure.

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote