HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Wasting talent in CHL, evidence

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
As I understand, Yakushev brings up attendance in the south because it correlates to interest in hockey and development.
Vorky's point was that you can not use that same example with respect to Moscow as hockey is huge there despite low attendance. Moscow area is probably only second to the Toronto are in the world with consistently producing quality hockey prospects over the decades.

Furthermore the teams in the south are inconsequential to the NHL or the world of hockey in general. 50% of all players in the NHL are Canadian, and some southern teams like Tampa Bay rely substantially on sunbird Canadians for attendance even. Let alone prospects. Actually, quiete a few Canadians are displeased with the NHL for having these franchises while ignoring markets like Quebec, Hamilton, and even a second team in Toronto!

The south for the NHL is merely a good business investment. There is no hockey culture there.

That being said, I dont necessarily oppose it as I am a supporter of growing the game globally; I think its totally awesome that there are 3 NHL teams in California
I agree with you completely. As for my argument, I was responding to someone (I don't even remember now) who suggested that the South was a growing hockey presence for the NHL, and moreover, that the South was now beginning to crank out "first round" draft picks from among youth programs in its midst. That is absurd. In the last 10 years, of the 300 first round picks, I am aware of one from the South, one from LA, and then soon to be high pick Seth Jones from Plano, Texas. Anyone who sees the South as a kind of wave of the future is just grossly misinformed about what is going on there. Its great that Seth Jones could go No. 1, but no one should expect another No. 1 coming out of the South for the next 100 years. It could happen, but there is no basis to expect it.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
http://www.saultstar.com/2012/12/05/...unds-hoped-for

Sorry to interrupt the never ending argument in here lol.... Nice story/interview with Tolchinsky.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:13 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Its hard to extract from your answer whether there still is much of any outdoor skating in Canada. My thesis is that the reason that countries like Canada still surpass Brazil, Italy, Spain and other warm weather countries in hockey is because kids could play it outdoors on the pond, skating day and night, perfecting their moves. Just like Brazilian kids with the soccer ball. I think I'm right, although some members of this board disagree with my premise.

Your community, by your account, has one indoor rink for every 20,000 citizens. Compare that with the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, which has about 10 more rinks than your hometown, but also about 6.7 million more people to share those rinks. That amounts to one rink per 280,000 residents. There is no outdoor skating of any kind in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Your thesis? LOL Ya, sure thing thing there professor! Listen Yakushev, lets get one thing straight, in my humble opinion, I think you know very little about anything and even less about hockey. This thread has bugged me for a while and I only posted to disprove your "thesis" that hockey in the south doesn't exist where there is no NHL presence. Your thesis debunked. After that, I was just being polite, keeping my powder dry for other arguments as I'm sure our paths will cross as Sochi approaches.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post

Sorry to interrupt the never ending argument in here lol.... Nice story/interview with Tolchinsky.
Great article! Sounds like a terrific kid and great prospect.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Your thesis? LOL Ya, sure thing thing there professor! Listen Yakushev, lets get one thing straight, in my humble opinion, I think you know very little about anything and even less about hockey. This thread has bugged me for a while and I only posted to disprove your "thesis" that hockey in the south doesn't exist where there is no NHL presence. Your thesis debunked. After that, I was just being polite, keeping my powder dry for other arguments as I'm sure our paths will cross as Sochi approaches.
See you in Sochi, Amigo!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post

I "love" this kid, and miss him on red-army team. Vzhik rules.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Stanislav Galiev is improving in NA, one point per game in ECHL

Old
03-01-2013, 05:25 PM
wings5

Andrei Loktionov has seen his ice time rise recently and is playing well. Good for him

Old
03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Andrei Loktionov has seen his ice time rise recently and is playing well. Good for him
Another case of getting on the "right team".

Old
03-02-2013, 12:19 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Another case of getting on the "right team".
he is an exceptional talent nearly lost to mediocrity due to NA hockey style. Grachev had a worse destiny...

Old
03-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
he is an exceptional talent nearly lost to mediocrity due to NA hockey style. Grachev had a worse destiny...
He just had the misfortune of ending up on a stacked team in LA. Devils aren't that stacked at center. I could see him becoming Sergei Brylin 2.0 for the Devils.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
cska78

Quote:
He just had the misfortune of ending up on a stacked team in LA. Devils aren't that stacked at center. I could see him becoming Sergei Brylin 2.0 for the Devils.
I don't agree with this. Brylin also by the way got somewhat ruined in NA, he wasn't not a defensive forward he got molded into, when playing for CSKA

Old
03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
I don't agree with this. Brylin also by the way got somewhat ruined in NA, he wasn't not a defensive forward he got molded into, when playing for CSKA
As a multiple Stanley Cup winner, I don't think he agrees with that opinion. Brylin by the way isn't the only European forward that turned into a 3rd line two way forward in the NHL, Niko Kapanen was a another one. Perhaps compared to North American forwards vying for the same position, they had better stick handling, offensive awareness and skating while not necessarily match the size. The size was the primary reason they were not top 6 forwards, in addition to lack of consistent scoring ability.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:08 PM
cska78

Quote:
As a multiple Stanley Cup winner, I don't think he agrees with that opinion. Brylin by the way isn't the only European forward that turned into a 3rd line two way forward in the NHL, Niko Kapanen was a another one. Perhaps compared to North American forwards vying for the same position, they had better stick handling, offensive awareness and skating while not necessarily match the size. The size was the primary reason they were not top 6 forwards, in addition to lack of consistent scoring ability.
i knew you would resolve to the obvious (Stanley Cups), but as a player Brylin hasn't reached his potential due to playing in NA plain and simple

Old
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
i knew you would resolve to the obvious (Stanley Cups), but as a player Brylin hasn't reached his potential due to playing in NA plain and simple
If you're multiple Stanley Cup winner in a fairly visible role, I'd say that's a very good career. Not every high scorer in junior turns out into one when playing against adults or better competition. I doubt he'd think about changing his rings for a more high scoring role/career in Europe for a second.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
He hasn't reached his potential because people like you underrate importance of two-way game. You must think Steve Yzerman also didn't reach his potential then.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
He hasn't reached his potential because people like you underrate importance of two-way game. You must think Steve Yzerman also didn't reach his potential then.
I am sorry, what?

Old
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
cska78

happy for Loktionov another goal today, the guy should have been playing in the big leagues for at least two years by now.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:57 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Alexander Avtsin (RW) - Hamilton - Reassigned by Montreal (NHL) to Wheeling (ECHL)

Old
03-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Fulcrum

To: ECHL

Nice!

I remember Avtsin actually looked pretty interesting and wasn't just PR from what I've seen of him in MHL...

Old
03-21-2013, 02:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Is ECHL better than VHL where he would play for 60+% if stayed at home?

One of reasons why kids move to NA is that they gets bigger TOI in NAs leagues than in Russia (they believe in it). So, why did Avtsin play only 15 games of season? Injured?

Another reason is to make NHL as soon as possible. Avtsin played ZERO games in NHL. He has played in NA since 2010-11. Tarasenko, also born in 1991, jumped directly to NHL. No minors. Wow. Was Tarasenko projected so much better? Because I can see a huge different among NHLers and ECHLers...

Thank god, Alexander Kuvaev got it before this season.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:43 AM
kp61c

vCash: 833
avtsin is surely a poster boy why not to go to NA,what a waste

Old
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
cska78

Avtsin would have played for Dinamo (KHL) not VHL, he already played for Dinamo at times, before leaving to NA. His contract expires, he'll be back. I just hope his destiny will not be one of at some point really good prospect Korostin. This got to be last year of his contract, no?

Old
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Avtsin would have played for Dinamo (KHL) not VHL, he already played for Dinamo at times, before leaving to NA. His contract expires, he'll be back. I just hope his destiny will not be one of at some point really good prospect Korostin. This got to be last year of his contract, no?
I am confused because Habs website say it is a three-year contract (2010-11 to 2012-13), but EP says it is until 13/14.

You are right, he played 30 games with 9pts before leaving. Funny is that he had 14 pts in his second AHL season (63 games). Not a big different to his KHLs stats.. and he was 2y older in AHL, played more games. Is AHL better than KHL? Really? Or he regressed?

I hope KHL clubs will not sign all guys who failed in NA... would be better to give chance the kids who try to make KHL by playing MHL/VHL. If you comes from NA, prove your quality in VHL

Old
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I am confused because Habs website say it is a three-year contract (2010-11 to 2012-13), but EP says it is until 13/14.

You are right, he played 30 games with 9pts before leaving. Funny is that he had 14 pts in his second AHL season (63 games). Not a big different to his KHLs stats.. and he was 2y older in AHL, played more games. Is AHL better than KHL? Really? Or he regressed?

I hope KHL clubs will not sign all guys who failed in NA... would be better to give chance the kids who try to make KHL by playing MHL/VHL. If you comes from NA, prove your quality in VHL
I think he's contract slided one year as he wasn't 20. NHL contracts will slide is player doesn't play 9 games in NHL when they are under 20 yrs old.

Closed Thread