HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part L |All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 11:54 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Gallagher better watch out they are going to take runs for sure. Thornton or Campbell will try and take his head off and the barking masses will gleefully cheer it on.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Gallagher better watch out they are going to take runs for sure. Thornton or Campbell will try and take his head off and the barking masses will gleefully cheer it on.
Real Travis Moen please show up Sunday.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Et le But

Dumont will take them.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Real Travis Moen please show up Sunday.
Real Moen RIGHT NOW, is NOT the Moen you think he is. He's actually the soft one now.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Real Moen RIGHT NOW, is NOT the Moen you think he is. He's actually the soft one now.
He's a pretty enigmatic guy it seems. He was great for the first part of the season last year and tough as nails in Anaheim. I trust he'll show up to play the coming two games or else he's tradebait as well.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Travis Moen has been traded ? If not, why is he in the out of town talk ?

RoR LoL

Old
03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Travis Moen has been traded ? If not, why is he in the out of town talk ?

RoR LoL
Personnally? Just hoping...A guy that can't play his role is not needed. And if his best trait is to be reliable and to play the PK, well we have enough guys like that AND it's also possible to get a guy like that AND that he has no problem bringing what Moen doesn't bring anymore. Moen has actually been a disgrace when the going got tougher in the past games. Letting Prust do all the work. Just for that I'd ship him out. It's one thing to be too small, it's way more another to have a big guy who plays small.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Kenny Powders

Jacques Martin changed Moen so much.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Personnally? Just hoping...A guy that can't play his role is not needed. And if his best trait is to be reliable and to play the PK, well we have enough guys like that AND it's also possible to get a guy like that AND that he has no problem bringing what Moen doesn't bring anymore. Moen has actually been a disgrace when the going got tougher in the past games. Letting Prust do all the work. Just for that I'd ship him out. It's one thing to be too small, it's way more another to have a big guy who plays small.
Yea I'd like to trade him for a better tough guy.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Andy

I'd like to keep Moen. He's great depth. When there will be injuries, he can step into the top 9 seemlessly.

It's amazing how people overlook the rest of his game just because he doesn't go out there to hurt and fight people. Such an underrated player. This obsession with size and toughness on our board is getting ridiculous now. Moen is such a solid player, also one of the reasons why we can throw our 4th line out there without worries. Such a responsible player and his defensive IQ is pretty damn good. I'm never worried when he's on the ice.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'd like to keep Moen. He's great depth. When there will be injuries, he can step into the top 9 seemlessly.

It's amazing how people overlook the rest of his game just because he doesn't go out there to hurt and fight people. Such an underrated player. This obsession with size and toughness on our board is getting ridiculous now. Moen is such a solid player, also one of the reasons why we can throw our 4th line out there without worries. Such a responsible player and his defensive IQ is pretty damn good. I'm never worried when he's on the ice.
I agree, the 4th line with Armstrong and Moen has been rock solid all year...but all we hear about is we need a thug with no skill instead. Brilliant!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:29 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree, the 4th line with Armstrong and Moen has been rock solid all year...but all we hear about is we need a thug with no skill instead. Brilliant!

B's fan here.

It's pretty funny how a lot of both Bruins and Habs fans seem to want their teams to go out and get a goon that can only play 5 minutes a night. Those guys don't play in the playoffs and that is where both teams are headed. Also people tend to forget that showing up for the fight is more important to a team than winning it.

The Bruins have had 1 fight going back to a game against Toronto on February 2nd.

Anyway I was coming here to ask you guys what you think of the potential re-alignment?

How would you rank the potential organizations in the division? Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, TB, and Florida.

Thank god Lidstrom has retired!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:58 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
B's fan here.

It's pretty funny how a lot of both Bruins and Habs fans seem to want their teams to go out and get a goon that can only play 5 minutes a night. Those guys don't play in the playoffs and that is where both teams are headed. Also people tend to forget that showing up for the fight is more important to a team than winning it.

The Bruins have had 1 fight going back to a game against Toronto on February 2nd.

Anyway I was coming here to ask you guys what you think of the potential re-alignment?

How would you rank the potential organizations in the division? Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, TB, and Florida.

It's like an arms race. The Bruins beat up on the Habs several times in the Jacques Martin era, prior to that the B's were always scared of the Habs going back decades. But after seeing Spacek and Pyatt get pummeled AND being constantly called divers baselessy, Habs fans got sick of it and clamoured for some tough-guys to keep the Bs honest.

I'm not seeking a heavy-weight but until Chara's knees wear out and he's forced to retire the Bruins are going to impose on us and we need to beat them at any game they want to bring.

As for the division, it looks like Ottawa, Boston and Montreal have the top slot, followed by Tampa Bay, Florida and then by Toronto Buffalo and Detroit.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
gusfring

I like Moen. He isn't a heavyweight and he can't do the job himself.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
B's fan here.

A few years back I'd hate having Detroit with us but right now they are nothing special, mostly aging roster. Nothing special in terms of prospects.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's like an arms race. The Bruins beat up on the Habs several times in the Jacques Martin era, prior to that the B's were always scared of the Habs going back decades. But after seeing Spacek and Pyatt get pummeled AND being constantly called divers baselessy, Habs fans got sick of it and clamoured for some tough-guys to keep the Bs honest.

I'm not seeking a heavy-weight but until Chara's knees wear out and he's forced to retire the Bruins are going to impose on us and we need to beat them at any game they want to bring.

As for the division, it looks like Ottawa, Boston and Montreal have the top slot, followed by Tampa Bay, Florida and then by Toronto Buffalo and Detroit.

Going back a long time I think the whole league was intimidated by Larry Robinson. He pummeled Dave Schultz.

Anyway I was thinking the new division might be a bad thing if you're a Panthers fan considering that they have made the playoffs one time in the Southeast Division over the past 10 years or so. Now they'll be going into a division that has organizations that are on the whole operated more effectively and have more financial resources.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Going back a long time I think the whole league was intimidated by Larry Robinson. He pummeled Dave Schultz.

Anyway I was thinking the new division might be a bad thing if you're a Panthers fan considering that they have made the playoffs one time in the Southeast Division over the past 10 years or so. Now they'll be going into a division that has organizations that are on the whole operated more effectively and have more financial resources.
I think the Panthers will just be happy to get the revenue from Canadian snowbirds going to games more frequently.

As far as the division goes, Detroit isn't what they once were. Sadly the best team in that division is still going to be...Boston.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think the Panthers will just be happy to get the revenue from Canadian snowbirds going to games more frequently.

As far as the division goes, Detroit isn't what they once were. Sadly the best team in that division is still going to be...Boston.
Yeah whether the NHL will admit it or not I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason Tampa and Florida are in this division

Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

The thing is, one of the reason the Bruins bullied the Habs softest players is because Martin's team was actually consistently a headache for the Bruins. Like everyone else I think Martin's system takes passive play too far to the extreme, relying that much on counters without applying any pressure of your own makes you far too dependant on luck even if it's a good way for bad teams to overachieve, but it was effective at frustrating the Bruins. The problem wasn't the lack of goons as much as it was that thanks to Gainey, our highest paid players were also the three softest guys on the team.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
SnapVirus

Tampa bay and Florida both have great prospects. Thank god Toronto will keep sucking for another 70ish year.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I believe the rest of his game is overrated. To say that he has done an admirable job because he is safe defensively, is to say that most of the other 4th liners are also admirable, hence them playing in the NHL. He is as responsible defensively as tons of other players in the league. His job as a 4th liner is to indeed not be scored on, but to bring toughness and energy. I don't see the energy and I see a guy letting Prust do the "tough" part. Look on every team and you will find a lot of Moen's. The idea is to find a Moen that is actually willing to do his job. And being a GM is also to project in the future and I believe it's not too hard to predict that his game is declining and will for the future years. He might "ressuscitate" in his new team, like most of the new players do, but will continue his descent as his career progress. That's what happens to tough and energy players that keep playing that role for so many years. They don't last as long as the "fancy" ones. You need to be proactive in moving a guy you think that his only good trait is to be safe defensively. His lack of speed is now even making him less interesting on the PK. I'd clearly have Pleks-Gionta, Prust-Eller, Armstong-White ahead of him now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
And if it's all you hear....well you haven't been listening.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:56 AM
sharks9

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
Mike Komisarek gave #Leafs a list of 12 teams he'd accept a trade to but I'm told he'd pretty much accept a trade anywhere. Wants to play.

Looks like Komi is done in Toronto

Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Andy

Quote:
I believe the rest of his game is overrated. To say that he has done an admirable job because he is safe defensively, is to say that most of the other 4th liners are also admirable, hence them playing in the NHL. He is as responsible defensively as tons of other players in the league. His job as a 4th liner is to indeed not be scored on, but to bring toughness and energy. I don't see the energy and I see a guy letting Prust do the "tough" part. Look on every team and you will find a lot of Moen's. The idea is to find a Moen that is actually willing to do his job. And being a GM is also to project in the future and I believe it's not too hard to predict that his game is declining and will for the future years. He might "ressuscitate" in his new team, like most of the new players do, but will continue his descent as his career progress. That's what happens to tough and energy players that keep playing that role for so many years. They don't last as long as the "fancy" ones. You need to be proactive in moving a guy you think that his only good trait is to be safe defensively. His lack of speed is now even making him less interesting on the PK. I'd clearly have Pleks-Gionta, Prust-Eller, Armstong-White ahead of him now.

And if it's all you hear....well you haven't been listening.
I disagree that he is mere "safe defensively". His defensive IQ is higher than most grinders. Also, his offensive game isn't bad for a bottom 6 player. He always produced reasonably well when he played on the 3rd line with some skill guys. I'd say Moen's defensive game is underrated and underappreciated among Habs fans, especially when it gets compared to every other bottom 6 player. Guys like Moen in addition to Plekanec, Gionta, Prust and Eller are why this team is doing so well on the defensive aspect of the game. These are all high quality defensive forwards. They help out the D so much.

Moen is doing his job. He's a big body top 9 defensive forward. He's playing on the 4th line because of depth purposes, but he can easily slot into a top 9 role on the habs and fill it more than adequately. You think Moen isn't doing his job based on what you think Moen's job should be. I really don't see the need to move Moen. Depth is soooooooooooooo important in the nhl and Moen is great depth to have. If anyone is replaceable it's White and Armstrong. Moen brings intangibles and subtleties to his game that deserve recognition and appreciation and that place him higher in the depth chart over guys like White and Armstrong. I think even though they are different style of players, I think Moen and Prust are comparable to the player type aka Top 9 forwards with a heightened defensive awareness. The only difference is that fans like Prust's games more because of the mythical and over-glorified toughness aspect of the game.

I really do think that replacing Moen with a tough guy, makes this team worse. It gives the coach less options in case of injuries to fill a spot in the top 9 adequately for a short period of time. It decreases our team defense.

I'm not saying Moen isn't replaceable, but unless we replace him with a high quality defensive forward, there isn't any reason to move him.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Boston and Ottawa both down 2-0

Old
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Andy

Boston is down 2-0 to Tampa so far. Don't worry, S.Thornton will carry the team on his back and tie this one up.

Closed Thread