HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers 2 Blues 4

Old
03-02-2013, 09:15 AM
JetsAlternate

vCash: 500
I think you guys need to make a trade. You guys have the pieces but the problem is you have too many of the same pieces. There aren't enough complementary players to make the top six stand out as a lethal force.

In my opinion, with Game 20 acting as Game 54 of an 82-game regular season, I think it would be best for this team to draft one more high pick this June and then make a few bold moves in free agency and via trade. Right now, the team doesn't look as deadly as I'm sure we had all been anticipating. Some changes need to be made to the current group, whether it be trading one of the big four or signing a key free agent in the offseason.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Playoffs would have been a possibility this year if the Oilers had a reliable starting goalie.
I hate how it seems Dubnky lets in too many weak goals, but I disagree with this statement.
Goaltending overall has been ok for the oilers this year.
I would say playoffs would have/could be a possibility if the offense didn't stink and the Oilers were not a bunch of wimps.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Dubnyk has to save the GWG. Brutal goal.
All the worse because you can see its a concentration problem and that he momentarily loses focus right in the middle of a game.

Dubs is susceptible at these times to 5 hole from anywhere, being bad with his stick, and going down far too early and leaing lots of net up top.

Just as another observation anybody else noting that Dubs could often play a puck and doesn't. A few times on this roadtrip I've seen him think about stopping a puck and then let it go right by him so that a D has to deal with it with heat coming.

This is a strange and unpredictable goaile. Trouble as a D is you don't know what he's going to do.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
All the worse because you can see its a concentration problem and that he momentarily loses focus right in the middle of a game.

Dubs is susceptible at these times to 5 hole from anywhere, being bad with his stick, and going down far too early and leaing lots of net up top.

Just as another observation anybody else noting that Dubs could often play a puck and doesn't. A few times on this roadtrip I've seen him think about stopping a puck and then let it go right by him so that a D has to deal with it with heat coming.

This is a strange and unpredictable goaile. Trouble as a D is you don't know what he's going to do.
I'd rather him not handle the pucks. He was terrible at it in the past. Maybe the goalie coach is weening him off of the puck handling titty.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Agreed, Jones looked like he had no place in the top 6. Wasn't a factor at all, dont know if he even touched the puck.

Would like to see

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (Has Yak been on a top 6 RW spot this year yet? Give him a chance to succeed!)
Eberle-RNH-Hemsky (Hemsky's had a lot of jump to his game, could kickstart RNH)
Yeah.not sure why Yak is the hot potato in the line up? He should have been an automatic to have out there when Dubby was pulled. Oh well? He hasn't really been a factor in the last 1/2 dozen games due to 9 mins or less/ game.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Missed Fistric back there tonite. Opposition should use bigger nets, as our guys mean well, but can't hit the broad side of a barn. Jones looked tired all night in the top six, and hands of stone. Not sur if they have won 2 in a row yet this year?
Agree with your observations on Jones. He has terrible hands, mishandles the puck constantly, and spends more time running into his own teammates than running into the opposition.

He is an OK depth player for our bottom six, but I certainly don't want to see him get a lengthy contract here. Reid Wilkins was on Bob Stauffer's show saying he should be locked up at $2.5 million, and I think this reflects the thinking of a lot of fans.

The guy may have a mullet and a ballcap, but he isn't much of a player and has hit his ceiling here. He shouldn't be in the top six on our team and we need to stop overpaying for depth players.

I prefer Paajarvi and Hartikainen to both Smyth and Jones. To be frank, Rajala would be a better fit than Jones in our top 6.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'd rather him not handle the pucks. He was terrible at it in the past. Maybe the goalie coach is weening him off of the puck handling titty.
No I get this as well. But it still represents a liability if he doesn't do it on plays that could easily be handled (or at least by most goalies) I think its necessary to factor in the evaluation of Dubs is how gunshy he is of the puck.

A good scouting move against him is just bang the puck directly off the endboards so that it rebounds in the crease. With Dubs I would do this on every shoot in. Its gravy. His head explodes when he has to handle the puck.

Teams are starting to figure this out.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Agree with your observations on Jones. He has terrible hands, mishandles the puck constantly, and spends more time running into his own teammates than running into the opposition.

He is an OK depth player for our bottom six, but I certainly don't want to see him get a lengthy contract here. Reid Wilkins was on Bob Stauffer's show saying he should be locked up at $2.5 million, and I think this reflects the thinking of a lot of fans.

The guy may have a mullet and a ballcap, but he isn't much of a player and has hit his ceiling here. He shouldn't be in the top six on our team and we need to stop overpaying for depth players.

I prefer Paajarvi and Hartikainen to both Smyth and Jones. To be frank, Rajala would be a better fit than Jones in our top 6.
I love Jonesy. But, sometimes I think that he really think he plays complacently in the most inopportune games/moments. I suppose he's not the only one. I agree with you on contract though. Don't overpay him with term. As others have said numerous times, there's tons of bottom six players out there to choose from.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No I get this as well. But it still represents a liability if he doesn't do it on plays that could easily be handled (or at least by most goalies) I think its necessary to factor in the evaluation of Dubs is how gunshy he is of the puck.

A good scouting move against him is just bang the puck directly off the endboards so that it rebounds in the crease. With Dubs I would do this on every shoot in. Its gravy. His head explodes when he has to handle the puck.

Teams are starting to figure this out.
I agree with you on this. It would be a good idea to throw some drills at him that would force him to handle the puck. Like anything, it's a learned skill. I don't see any reason why he cannot spend 20 minutes a day specifically on handling the puck in different situations.

Maybe his height hinders him from acquiring the skill though..I have no idea.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I think you guys need to make a trade. You guys have the pieces but the problem is you have too many of the same pieces. There aren't enough complementary players to make the top six stand out as a lethal force.

In my opinion, with Game 20 acting as Game 54 of an 82-game regular season, I think it would be best for this team to draft one more high pick this June and then make a few bold moves in free agency and via trade. Right now, the team doesn't look as deadly as I'm sure we had all been anticipating. Some changes need to be made to the current group, whether it be trading one of the big four or signing a key free agent in the offseason.
tambo is the GM. so forget the bold move part of your statement.
He will probably let the team fester and hope to get another high lottery pick, so your wish might come true there.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Did you feel comfortable with that lead?
Until Hemsky and Gagner had their brain fart at the blueline....yes. After that, I thought it was anyone's game until Dubnyk gave it away. If he makes some saves, I had the feeling the Blues would open it up a bit and we'd get some gravy chances to bury them.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

All the blues had to do in this game was lean on us a lot, be relentless in pursuing, and allow the fatigue from the night before to take its toll.

There was no way the Oilers weren't going to run out of gas last night. Our go to D logged big minutes in Dallas due to injuries and the game against the Stars was tough and would obviously have taken a toll.

A young team expended a hell of a lot of energy to beat Dallas and our forwards do have a tough time playing two hard to play against teams in back to back nights. If it wasn't back to back it wouldn't be a problem. if we weren't playing tough WC clubs every night it wouldn't be a problem. This is a pretty unique year and a ****ed up year really. A schedule from hell and team making the most of it. Oilers weren't going to last to the bell last night, no way. I figured we'd need a huge lead. At no point did this result feel safe and it did feel like we were playing uphill after and maybe even including the first.

People don't note this enough but we're giving teams fits with out speed and fastbreak and getting oddman chances for fun when we've got the legs. By the 3rd the tank was empty. Valiant attempt by the team and I have little problem with it.

I chalk up a game like yesterday to brutal scheduling.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Until Hemsky and Gagner had their brain fart at the blueline....yes. After that, I thought it was anyone's game until Dubnyk gave it away. If he makes some saves, I had the feeling the Blues would open it up a bit and we'd get some gravy chances to bury them.
Seriously? The way this game was going even when it was 2-0 I felt our situation was going to be desperate. At the exact moment Gagner playing D sprung Hemsky on the first period breakaway with a great pass and Hemsky couldn't finish I pretty much knew that was the game. you could see from the Start the Blues would have more energy. I also knew beyond a doubt the Oilers would hit a wall in this game at some point which they did.

We're not built to beat St Louis under the best of circumstances. But on the road in the second of a tough back to back with lots of travel? Forget it. Amazed the Oilers jumped out into the lead but it was very much against the grain of play that Blues established from the outset.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:24 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSlayer View Post
I thought he was horrible defensively..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pSlayer View Post
please trade this guy already
I separated the two points in your posts in hopes you see the irony of what you said.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote