HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
  #401
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Is there any highly rated players from the Ottawa region? Teams like the bulls, fronts and petes like to select near home.
Kris Myllari, Brandon Zullo, Andrew Peski are a few names.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  #402
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
I have a feeling Cameron Lizzotte a sudbury boy gets selected by either Sudbury or North Bay in the first round. I personally dont think its going to be easy to get kids to play in North Bay right away. When they start winning, things will become easier. The fans there are passionate and loyal. I think most of the kids from the GTA are not keen to play with North Bay or Sudbury at this point.

I think Mcfadden a local Owen Sound player, will have options to go before Owen Sound picks, but also may choose to stay in the Grey-Bruce Area. Im not convinced he makes it to #18 Belleville as some have suggested because of his home town options earlier in the draft. He does suit Yardman Arena with his skating.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  #403
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
So have all the teams for the OHL cup been decided? When do they decide whos in ans whos not? Sorry I've never followed it this closely. Also, where is it taking place.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
  #404
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
It seems as though there are some logical picks out there that just make sence...

Ottawa - Day
(obvious)

SSM - Speers
Sudbury - Lizotte
OwenSound - McFadden
All local picks.

Anything else?
Some may say Stephens and Peterborough but I hear not so much.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #405
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
It seems as though there are some logical picks out there that just make sence...

Ottawa - Day
(obvious)

SSM - Speers
Sudbury - Lizotte
OwenSound - McFadden
All local picks.

Anything else?
Some may say Stephens and Peterborough but I hear not so much.
Barrie Colts- Tyler Macarthur might happen too. Ekblad will be gone after next season. He will be drafted high in the NHL and make the jump I imagine. Barrie needs to prepare for this. I think they go for a #1 pairing type of Dman. I also think Barrie looks at Connor Schlichting a newmarket kid.

Stephens from what Im hearing, will not report to Peterborough.

The OHL cup takes place at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. The home rink of the Steelheads. March 12-17.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:00 PM
  #406
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Barrie Colts- Tyler Macarthur might happen too. Ekblad will be gone after next season. He will be drafted high in the NHL and make the jump I imagine. Barrie needs to prepare for this. I think they go for a #1 pairing type of Dman. I also think Barrie looks at Connor Schlichting a newmarket kid.

Stephens from what Im hearing, will not report to Peterborough.

The OHL cup takes place at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. The home rink of the Steelheads. March 12-17.
That's what I was referring too with Stephens and Petes not so much.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
  #407
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
So have all the teams for the OHL cup been decided? When do they decide whos in ans whos not? Sorry I've never followed it this closely. Also, where is it taking place.
It's a combination of qualifying via league play and invites from the OHL.
It's 3/12-17 at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga (Final at Herb Carnegie in North York).

The teams to officially qualify so far are: Eastern Ontario Wild (OEMHL), Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs (ALLIANCE), Ottawa Senators (OEMHL), Toronto Marlboros (GTHL), Toronto Jr. Canadiens (GTHL), and Waterloo Wolves (ALLIANCE).
Thunder Bay Kings (WCML) and NOHA All-Stars will also be there, along with three US All-Star teams (Elite Hockey Group, TPH Thunder, and one other).
Other teams you can assume will be invited/unofficially confirmed include: Don Mills Flyers (GTHL), Mississauga Rebels (GTHL), Oakville Rangers (SCTA), and Toronto Red Wings (GTHL).
Even though the ETA and SCTA are still yet to be decided, Barrie Jr. Colts (ETA), Southern Tier Admirals (SCTA), Whitby Wildcats (ETA), and York Simcoe Express (ETA) are the likely OMHA representatives.
That pretty much just leaves the final ALLIANCE berth, which they'll have to decide on taking the underdog team (Kitchener Jr. Rangers) or the team with lots of prospects (London Jr. Knights Gold).

jfb392 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
  #408
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It's a combination of qualifying via league play and invites from the OHL.
It's 3/12-17 at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga (Final at Herb Carnegie in North York).

The teams to officially qualify so far are: Eastern Ontario Wild (OEMHL), Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs (ALLIANCE), Ottawa Senators (OEMHL), Toronto Marlboros (GTHL), Toronto Jr. Canadiens (GTHL), and Waterloo Wolves (ALLIANCE).
Thunder Bay Kings (WCML) and NOHA All-Stars will also be there, along with three US All-Star teams (Elite Hockey Group, TPH Thunder, and one other).
Other teams you can assume will be invited/unofficially confirmed include: Don Mills Flyers (GTHL), Mississauga Rebels (GTHL), Oakville Rangers (SCTA), and Toronto Red Wings (GTHL).
Even though the ETA and SCTA are still yet to be decided, Barrie Jr. Colts (ETA), Southern Tier Admirals (SCTA), Whitby Wildcats (ETA), and York Simcoe Express (ETA) are the likely OMHA representatives.
That pretty much just leaves the final ALLIANCE berth, which they'll have to decide on taking the underdog team (Kitchener Jr. Rangers) or the team with lots of prospects (London Jr. Knights Gold).
Awesome thanks, how would they go about deciding between say London and Kitchener?

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:36 PM
  #409
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Interesting SCTA’s scores coming down from the Mountain

Buffalo 3 Grey Bruce 1
Burlington 3 Brampton 1

Group B wide open

skating101 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
  #410
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
So That makes Tyler Seguin and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins busts?
Difference is that Seguin and RNH made the NHL as 18 year olds.
They only played 2 years in the CHL.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
  #411
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Awesome thanks, how would they go about deciding between say London and Kitchener?
I think the amount of high end prospects plays a big factor. Id be surprised if London Gold was not given an invite over Kitchener. London has 3 top 30 picks and a few other nice prospects.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  #412
ImaBullsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
I still think the Bulls will select someone that really hasnt been mentioned a whole lot, in the 1st, George seems to go wildcards instead?

ImaBullsfan is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
  #413
no Gino
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
In my experience, the OHL cup doesnt really alter the decisions of the OHL teams. Their choices are usually decided before the cup. JMO
This may be true but I have also heard how Eric Staal and a player from Thunder Bay named Jeremy Swanson were both rated as C players and, after a strong OHL Cup showing, both were drafted in the first round.

no Gino is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  #414
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think the amount of high end prospects plays a big factor. Id be surprised if London Gold was not given an invite over Kitchener. London has 3 top 30 picks and a few other nice prospects.
Vonde Sompel
Szypula
????

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
  #415
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Vonde Sompel
Szypula
????
And Mr Colton White. Ethan Szypula might be a Belleville option. Dynamic forward. The 3 London players all have above average skating ability.

Im not sure if Korostelev is bothered or deterred by the troubles in Peterborough. Although they have done a 180 since Christmas and look to be trending upwards. Nice to see that.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:04 AM
  #416
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Can someone chime in on Zach Werenski?

This is where Im coming from. The kid is physically 20 yrs old if not more. He has NHL size and incredible skill. How would playing U17 USNTDP with his age group benefit him? He hasnt played with his own age group in years. Is it possible that he is offered a U18 NTDP spot? That I would understand. I think its a lateral move to join his age group. He is well ahead of his peers. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have those same feelings about Luke Kirwan playing with his own age group, it seems like a lateral move or backward.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:12 AM
  #417
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
And Mr Colton White. Ethan Szypula might be a Belleville option. Dynamic forward. The 3 London players all have above average skating ability.

Im not sure if Korostelev is bothered or deterred by the troubles in Peterborough. Although they have done a 180 since Christmas and look to be trending upwards. Nice to see that.
I'm praying the Petes don't take Korostelev. Don't need 1 way forwards who don't work hard. Goes against what Jody has been preaching since taking over.
Give me Spencer, Konency, Strome or Henley

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
  #418
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I'm praying the Petes don't take Korostelev. Don't need 1 way forwards who don't work hard. Goes against what Jody has been preaching since taking over.
Give me Spencer, Konency, Strome or Henley
I hear ya. Good coaching will get u to back check. Carlyle has gotten Phil "I dont throw body checks" Kessel to back check this season. He isnt 2 way like J.Toews but Kessel has grown in his defensive area. Special K has flare for the dramatic and lots of potential. Clean up his skating and refine his shot accuracy and he is a weapon. Scoring goals like he can is a special talent, most impressively he can score from distance, not many can in minor midget.

Korostelev has a love affair with sniping Gino's, if they cut his Ice time, he will be forced to back check until he gets the message. U can make a player or turn a player into a 2 way player. Not alot of 15 yr old focus on that. But with NHL dreams they are going to have to put some stock into playing 2 ways. If your not 2 way in the OHL, your a liability. I think coaches look at the mold and say I can work with that and make it this.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:21 AM
  #419
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I hear ya. Good coaching will get u to back check. Carlyle has gotten Phil "I dont throw body checks" Kessel to back check this season. He isnt 2 way like J.Toews but Kessel has grown in his defensive area.

Korostelev has a love affair with sniping Gino's, if they cut his Ice time, he will be forced to back check until he gets the message. U can make a player or turn a player into a 2 way player. Not alot of 15 yr old focus on that. But with NHL dreams they are going to have to put some stock into playing 2 ways. If your not 2 way in the OHL, your a liability. I think coaches look at the mold and say I can work with that and make it this.
Yeah I guess your right, but is rather a player who takes pride in taking care of both ends of the ice.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  #420
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Yeah I guess your right, but is rather a player who takes pride in taking care of both ends of the ice.
Its been well documented the room atmosphere and aura surrounding that team earlier in the year. To there credit it has done a 180. Kids have friends on OHL teams, they talk, they know whats going on. With past issues, they were at a disadvantage in draft years because some of the top guys said No thanks. I love parity in a league. They are turning things around. Part of me, hoped they finished last so they could get an ES player to help turn them around. They will slowly climb out of it. Do I think they would have taken McCann or Dal Colle if they had a chance too? Yes. Im not sure if Cornel was there #1 guy. Cornel is far from finished though, I wont be surprised to see him have a great year next year. 15 pounds will help his confidence.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:30 AM
  #421
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Its been well documented the room atmosphere and aura surrounding that team earlier in the year. To there credit it has done a 180. Kids have friends on OHL teams, they talk, they know whats going on. With past issues, they were at a disadvantage in draft years because some of the top guys said No thanks. I love parity in a league. They are turning things around. Part of me, hoped they finished last so they could get an ES player to help turn them around. They will slowly climb out of it. Do I think they would have taken McCann or Dal Colle if they had a chance too? Yes. Im not sure if Cornel was there #1 guy. Cornel is far from finished though, I wont be surprised to see him have a great year next year. 15 pounds will help his confidence.
I agree often times Cornel will look very good against other teams 4th lines, and for not being very bulky his shot is pretty hard already. I think he will be a solid 4 year player.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:36 AM
  #422
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I agree often times Cornel will look very good against other teams 4th lines, and for not being very bulky his shot is pretty hard already. I think he will be a solid 4 year player.
I felt for Cornel this year, big time. It must have been alot harder for him to deal with it compared to the other vets on the team. For me, his confidence was gone. When that happens, u dont want to shoot, u dont want to make plays, it starts to snowball. In my opinion put Cornel on the top 2 lines starting next year. In games when they are up by 2 goals for the rest of this year, give him ice time on the #1 or #2 line. This is gigantic for a young players confidence. When a coach believes in u, the mojo and confidence starts to come back in bunches.

Look no further than Nazem Kadri. Stuck in the doghouse with incredible skill, almost ruined by the constant insults. Coach and GM questioned Nazem size, but yet Kessel never throws more than 10 bodychecks per season. Kadri played with a broken Jaw, his jaw wired shut in Kitchener, eating through a straw. He is tough as nails. I dont think I could have handled it like Nazem did in the Wilson/Burke era. I hate Ron Wilson with a passion. Look at what he brings now, with a coach who believes in him. Night and Day.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
  #423
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I felt for Cornel this year, big time. It must have been alot harder for him to deal with it compared to the other vets on the team. For me, his confidence was gone. When that happens, u dont want to shoot, u dont want to make plays, it starts to snowball. In my opinion put Cornel on the top 2 lines starting next year. In games when they are up by 2 goals for the rest of this year, give him ice time on the #1 or #2 line. This is gigantic for a young players confidence. When a coach believes in u, the mojo and confidence starts to come back in bunches.

Look no further than Nazem Kadri. Stuck in the doghouse with incredible skill, almost ruined by the constant insults. Coach and GM questioned Nazem size, but yet Kessel never throws more than 10 bodychecks per season. Kadri played with a broken Jaw, his jaw wired shut in Kitchener, eating through a straw. He is tough as nails. I dont think I could have handled it like Nazem did in the Wilson/Burke era. I hate Ron Wilson with a passion. Look at what he brings now, with a coach who believes in him. Night and Day.
With all this being said Mapleleaf who do you think is the ideal fit for the Petes and Jody Hulls system. Best case scenario.

PetesFan94 is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 09:50 AM
  #424
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
With all this being said Mapleleaf who do you think is the ideal fit for the Petes and Jody Hulls system. Best case scenario.
If kids were forced to report and team needs brought into the equation. Id take the player with the most upside on the board so id see it like this.

Ottawa - Sean Day
Erie - Matt Spencer
Petes - Dylan Strome

Will it happen that way? No.

Some may argue Konecny #2 or #3, but for me I like Strome's 6-2 frame and he appears to have alot more potential to his game. Lawson Crouse also has lots of un-tapped potential there. In my opinion Im not sure Konecny is going to get that much better. That being said its tough to improve his top notch feet and his motor doesnt quit.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
  #425
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Oakville 6 STA 0

Oakville continues their dominate play maybe peaking at the right time.

skating101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.