HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stockpilling Draft Picks----Will they Be Used To Trade Up In The Draft?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
i sure hope we draft even more smalllish lightweight easily displaced type of players...
Dude, you are obsessing over size. Stop overcompensating.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Mahleezer

Question... isn't this years draft going to be a lottery draft like in 2005 regardless of the fact we have a shortened season this year?

If that's the case, it doesn't matter if we finish 1st overall... we can still end up with a lower draft pick no?

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Timmins has done a great job getting us a lot of depth (especially on defence), I think right now we should be looking at quality over quantity and trying to move up where possibly, especially trying to add some more potential top line/top six forwards. Regardless, this should be a very fun draft for our team!

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:23 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahleezer View Post
Question... isn't this years draft going to be a lottery draft like in 2005 regardless of the fact we have a shortened season this year?

If that's the case, it doesn't matter if we finish 1st overall... we can still end up with a lower draft pick no?
Regular draft, except the team which wins the lottery gets the 1st overall.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Dude, you are obsessing over size. Stop overcompensating.
What you mean TB going for all guys 6'2" and over in the 2000's didn't work out???

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

Egener Smaby Rogers Tobin Mihalik Helenius Henrich Alexeev Svitov are all STUDS!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Bergevin and Dudley are smart enough to let Timmins decide how much moving up in the draft is worth.

Quote:
i sure hope we draft even more smalllish lightweight easily displaced type of players...
As long as they're 5th rounders like Gallagher, Dumont and Hudon I could care less.

Unless your talking about undrafted guys like DD?

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:33 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What you mean TB going for all guys 6'2" and over in the 2000's didn't work out???

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

Egener Smaby Rogers Tobin Mihalik Helenius Henrich Alexeev Svitov are all STUDS!
Basically this.

I don't care if they are big or small. Timmins is a draft stud and we should trust his judgement. The worst pick he ever made was because he was asked to pick a D, in a very D-light draft

If we draft small guys, we can always hire or trade for size later.

Also, regarding quality vs. quantity: I hope we trade prospects for Picks. Especially prospects that are superfluous at the moment. A
Our draft conversion ratio is good, we should leverage that.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:38 AM
NLHabsFan

Trading up is an option if there is a player the Habs really covet. Timmins has a great track record though so there is a lot of hope. Later round picks can still be acquired with moving players like Noke's and Weber. Another option I see is moving them at the draft (mid to late picks) for players rights. If Perry, Clarkson, etc. is not signed by than it would be nice to get a head start on other teams and hopefully lock them up before July 1st.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing us trade 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd + 3rd to get another 1st.

I'd really like to see Montreal take Fredrik Gauthier (6'5", 210) or Valentin Zykov (6'2" 215).
I say we keep all our picks and let Timmins find some gems. i think one gem will be Marko Dano. I think he will be another Gallagher but he already plays a complete game by being on the PP and PK. He also loves to hit even if he is small. I don't care what size the player is just as long as he is full of intensity.

He is 5'11" so not small like Gallagher though and could still grow

Last edited by googlymoogly: 03-02-2013 at 11:02 AM.
googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
rockjngo

I say keep the picks.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Hope Of Glory

That draft day where all the rounds will be done at the same time looks pretty exciting already

With the acquisition of Tokarski, I wonder if Timmins will pick a goalie in the second round of wait in the later one to try to go for the late homerun. Again.

Hope Of Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I say we keep all our picks and let Timmins find some gems. i think one gem will be Marko Dano. I think he will be another Gallagher but he already plays a complete game by being on the PP and PK. He also loves to hit even if he is small. I don't care what size the player is just as long as he is full of intensity.

He is 5'11" so not small like Gallagher though and could still grow
Did he look like a young tougher Plekanec?

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:34 AM
odishabs

id love to see one of Erne, Compher, Mantha, Gauthier, Hagg

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
WestIslander

I am positive that Marc Bergevin (being how aggresive he is) will try to trade up and draft Jonathan Drouin or Nathan Mackinnon in July 2013.

Maybe David Desharnais or Yannick Weber + 1st round draft pick + one of our three 2nd round draft picks for the 2nd overall or 3rd overall draft pick.

Imagine...

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Collberg

TOP SIX!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
yianik

No way do I want us to trade for a top level UFA rental. A guy like that is usually desired by his own team ( even if its a bottom team ) and if he wont sign there its likely he wants to test the market. The price is always crazy high. I mean if we were trying for the Cup, really thinking we had a shot and that player could put us over the top, okay. Otherwise no thanks, our window is likely in a couple of years, keep our top prospects and picks. Just have the bucks if the right guy pops up as a UFA.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am positive that Marc Bergevin (being how aggresive he is) will try to trade up and draft Jonathan Drouin or Nathan Mackinnon in July 2013.

Maybe David Desharnais or Yannick Weber + 1st round draft pick + one of our three 2nd round draft picks for the 2nd overall or 3rd overall draft pick.

Imagine...

TOP SIX!!!
That package doesn't get us a top 3 pick for sure, except if we start losing really soon. Even then...

And are you really saying that "David Desharnais or Yannick Weber" hold the same value in a deal? Because that's what I get from that offer, that we could put any of those two and it would be the same

Hope Of Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Players who have the potential to be top 6, borderline heavy weight fighters are acquired from free agency ?

You be GM and get us one.
Tyler Biggs will be lucky to make the NHL. Top 6 hahaha.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:

Imagine...

TOP SIX!!!
Glad to see someone started St Patty's day a few weeks too early

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Default plan would always be to use the picks to draft players. But who knows how things will go on the floor. That's one of the coolest times to be GM, when you know the players you want to draft, you see the board changing in real time, hear the whispers - real or misdirectional from the other teams - and have to make snap trade decisions.

Generally speaking, I feel like trading up is a waste of picks. But sometimes it pans out. With our scouting, and the example of good players we pick up later in the draft, I'd rather just give Timmins more picks than fewer. But you have to be ready for anything.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:

Imagine...

TOP SIX!!!
I think Pacioretty plays on the first line and I dont think Gallagher will be a first line player on a contender

CaptainBenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Tyler Biggs will be lucky to make the NHL. Top 6 hahaha.
You sure know that.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Bergevin is a hardnosed GM who would veto Timmins's recommendations on a first round pick if he disagreed with him. However, I think he would give Timmins wide latitude on selecting the lower round picks. As for moving up in the draft it would be Bergevin's call because only he can decide what to give up in a trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think targeting guys like Biggs would be a colossal mistake. Players of his ilk are easily acquired through free Agency. The draft is for drafting talent. I hope Timmins sticks to his ways.

Tyler Biggs, no thank you.
I never said with a first. If you can select a tougher physical D or bottom 6 player in 3rd round and on why not?

I do agree they need talent and some Hockey IQ as well but not everyone is born to be a star. I certainly see nothing wrong with drafting a hard nosed player if he is indeed the BPA.

By no means would I suggest picking one for the sake of it but it is a need of ours and if the BPA fills that need, i'd be very happy.

If there is an opportunity to move up and acquire a good player with a unique skillset(Lucic, Neil, Clarkson, etc...) I certainly wouldn't mind if they took that risk and moved up. Honestly, it depends what they give and how they evaluate the player but would be nice to acquire someone physical in top 6.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:46 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Incredible players often drop at draft because they are small.

I hope we continue drafting them.

Unless perhaps you prefer tall hulking guys like Fischer instead of smallish lightweight dudes like Giroux?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:48 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Incredible players often drop at draft because they are small.

I hope we continue drafting them.

Unless perhaps you prefer tall hulking guys like Fischer instead of smallish lightweight dudes like Giroux? Determination, skill, intensity... These attributes are all 10x more important than weight and height.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote