HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wonder how Shero looks at things?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Whale Mingo

vCash: 500
I wonder how Shero looks at things?

In my thousand years or so of watching hockey I can say the last person I want across from me at a poker table is Ray Shero. It's just impossible to know what he is thinking and I'd love to know how he looks at the current team.

Is he sitting back thinking "hey we are in 2nd place in the East and even though it's been a bad week all is still well".

Or is he thinking " we are pretty much one loss away from 6th place in the East which means playing on the road in the first round, we can't complete a pass (at least not to our own team) and the special teams are a mess, I need to do something".

Both, IMO are viable lines of thought at this point and I wonder which way he is leaning. Pens fans, for years, have wanted to blow up the team and start over after losing two games in a row and while I'm not in that camp, I think there is reason to be concerned right now.

Not that anyone here is a mind reader, and I think it's good to have a GM who is unreadable, but I wonder what's going through his head these days????

How about you guys?

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 03-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:53 AM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:54 AM
mpp9

Last thing I remember him saying to the media was that he liked the identity of our 4th line. So, at least we have that. DB will keep matching them against the Girouxs and Stamkos' of the league and all will be well.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Shero says a lot of things. He said he liked Whitney, Goligoski etc. while also saying he wouldn't trade them and then he promptly traded them. He also said he liked our defense a few years ago and literally a week or so later traded for Jordan Leopold. There's a lot of smokescreens with GM's. It's hard to read them. I have to believe he is very alarmed by what he saw last year and at times this season. I don't think he'll panic and force something but I expect him to address it at some point. What that is specifically I don't know but he can't like what he sees.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:16 AM
plaidchuck

Deals will be made but I doubt any block busters are coming and people will no doubt be disappointed especially in comparison to what rival teams do. The UFAs coming up and the need to sign players plus the lowering cap will also influence things.

plaidchuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I have the opposite feeling. I think Shero's going to do something fairly big since he hasn't in a while and consequently has saved a lot of assets to spend. Not exactly sure what he has up his sleeve though.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
HMPens

When he says certain players are a priority, he signs them unless they don't really want to be here. Of course he says he's not going to tip his hand with a trade but doesn't specifically identify a player as a "priority" very often unless he does intend to sign them.

HMPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I have the opposite feeling. I think Shero's going to do something fairly big since he hasn't in a while and consequently has saved a lot of assets to spend. Not exactly sure what he has up his sleeve though.
Is there anything even out there that makes sense? There are players out there that would fit but I would hate to see the Pens overpay for Kulemin and Iggy.

As much as I want to bite my TV over how this team is made, Shero is building teams to fit DB's system. So we get more transitional defensemen rather than transitional wingers.

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Is there anything even out there that makes sense? There are players out there that would fit but I would hate to see the Pens overpay for Kulemin and Iggy.

As much as I want to bite my TV over how this team is made, Shero is building teams to fit DB's system. So we get more transitional defensemen rather than transitional wingers.
Not sure. There could be someone available that we don't even know about. Time will tell but I expect Shero to be a little more aggressive this deadline.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Not sure. There could be someone available that we don't even know about. Time will tell but I expect Shero to be a little more aggressive this deadline.
Yeah, nobody knew Neal was available.

Oxide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
vyktor

IMO he will make a hockey trade when on that makes sense can be hammered out, he's not going to overreact.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Maybe it's not either one of those two, but it might be time to overpay for someone to take a shot at winning. I'm of the belief that we will only have Crosby/Malkin/Neal/Fleury for so long and one of these years we need to take a shot at winning another Cup before that window closes and it's 1996 all over again.

Having said that, this may not be that year. Maybe it's next year or the year after, but there are only so many years that we will have the core of talent that we have. In the spring of 1992 had you told Pens fan it would be 16 years before you see another trip to the Stanley Cup Finals I believe you would have been laughed at in disbelief.

Windows close, time runs out.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
Maybe it's not either one of those two, but it might be time to overpay for someone to take a shot at winning. I'm of the belief that we will only have Crosby/Malkin/Neal/Fleury for so long and one of these years we need to take a shot at winning another Cup before that window closes and it's 1996 all over again.

Having said that, this may not be that year. Maybe it's next year or the year after, but there are only so many years that we will have the core of talent that we have. In the spring of 1992 had you told Pens fan it would be 16 years before you see another trip to the Stanley Cup Finals I believe you would have been laughed at in disbelief.

Windows close, time runs out.
I agree, I don't want the pens to win the one cup and disappoint for the next 10 years.

But why do people keep saying ah well maybe it's not our year? Or maybe we will just call it a mulligan due to the lockout? Shero has kept the team pretty much the same, for better or worse (I tend to think worse) so it's not like this team needed time time for a bunch of new faces to develop chemistry. I'm pretty sure Tanner Glass knows the system and he just sucks.

Shero needs to be aggressive every year. 87 and 71 are in the prime of their careers.

If Shero sits back and doesn't fire Bylsma or make a significant trade he has to go.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I agree, I don't want the pens to win the one cup and disappoint for the next 10 years.

But why do people keep saying ah well maybe it's not our year? Or maybe we will just call it a mulligan due to the lockout? Shero has kept the team pretty much the same, for better or worse (I tend to think worse) so it's not like this team needed time time for a bunch of new faces to develop chemistry. I'm pretty sure Tanner Glass knows the system and he just sucks.

Shero needs to be aggressive every year. 87 and 71 are in the prime of their careers.

If Shero sits back and doesn't fire Bylsma or make a significant trade he has to go.
I agree with the notion that we should be trying to win the Cup every year. We can't just throw seasons away. Especially this year with Malkin and Letang up for contracts soon. We want them to know this is a team that will be trying to do everything it can to win. If they think Shero is just going to sit around and let cap space go to waste, how important will they think leaving a little extra cap space for them to work with is?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Here's how I wish Shero would look at things:

Brian Strait left and was a top-4 Dman before getting injured.
Ben Lovejoy was universally reviled in Pitts, but loved/praised in Anaheim.

Most people agree that 10-minutes-a-night Despres and Bortuzzo are not the problem.

Why does Dan Bylsma need a 35-year-old Mark Eaton to play top-4 minutes?

If he can answer that question rationally, OK.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post

I agree with your thought process, I just hope it doesn't come to that. I like Ray Shero, I sometimes think he has the patience of Job which isn't necessarily a good thing for a professional GM.

I'd like to see our Power Play get much MUCH better and would like to see our defense at least not look lost out there. I don't see where the on ice talent can be upgraded much, so, maybe Bylsma is the problem. Anaheim doesn't have the fire power we have and they are basically writing a "how to" book on Power Play scoring.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:07 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Most people agree that 10-minutes-a-night Despres and Bortuzzo are not the problem.

I honestly think the overall trend of the league from a management point is regular season success above all else. In that case Bylsma is a superstar to Shero.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

These are the kind of things I had in mind when I started the thread. I just don't think Shero is sitting up there not paying attention, but when you see us go 0-3 with ZERO shots at one point on the Power Play against Carolina don't you have to start asking questions?

Carolina, mind you, is 23rd in the league on the PK.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:
These are the kind of things I had in mind when I started the thread. I just don't think Shero is sitting up there not paying attention, but when you see us go 0-3 with ZERO shots at one point on the Power Play against Carolina don't you have to start asking questions?

Carolina, mind you, is 23rd in the league on the PK.
Is the PP really the issue with this team? No.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Is the PP really the issue with this team? No.
Absolutely not, but it is an issue and it shouldn't be.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:
They are 4th in the league. What is the issue? One bad game?

Must be the worst top 5 PP ever.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
the powerplay is one of our strengths. one of the best in the league. we are missing geno, so that obviously doesn't help. but seriously...it was one bad game

Old
03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
plaidchuck

PP is good, PK was great earlier in the year but a few bad games has dropped its standing

Old
03-02-2013, 11:47 AM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

You can never be happy with a roster...there is always room for improvement.

What Shero needs to worry about is another 1st round exit. If our glaring weakness and holes rear their ugly heads ago, Shero and DB will be on the block, IMHO.

You can't not see the holes and the weaknesses. There are deals to be made and players to be signed. That is Shero's job. Sometimes a risk is needed and sometimes you have to cut players loose.

Bylsma is not going to be the long term coach here...I can feel it...he's not. The half season and a Cup is LONG gone...and he's done little to take the two best players in the league back to anything resembling playoff success. I understand you do the best with what you got...but part of being a good coach is analyzing your players and creating a system that gets the most out of the players, regardless of skill. We do not have that. We rely on the pure talent and finesse to win.

Shero needs to be worried too. He's had plenty of time to bring in wingers for Sid and Geno. There's been 1 maybe 2. Kunitz is good but not what you truly need in a top line winger. He has shown that he can assemble a cup run team in the past...but being soured on a couple deals in preventing him from the bold moves that we need. (whether you agree with that or not I really don't care. A shake up is needed. End of story as far as I'm concerned).

They may get a pass this year...but next year Mario and Burke may sit down with them and say "You've wasted Sid and Geno's best years...there's the door".

We have too much grit and not enough pure skill. When skill doesn't win it, you can fall back on grinding it out. When you all you have is grinding...you have nothing to fall back on. If that wins, awesome. If it doesn't...well...you're ****. Not saying go out and buy a whole bunch of Semin's but there are enough skillful guys out there worth bringing in. We have to get away from the grinding team only mentality. It's time to go back to the Cup years where we were a puck possession, aggressive forecheck team. Hitting is awesome and all well and good...but 75% of our team can't possess the puck to save their lives. And our breakout is something rotten as well.

Shero HAS to see these holes. Its not like we sit around and go "Huh? We lost? Why?". Its his job to see these holes, figure out how to fix it, and do it. If that means getting rid of TFK and Craig ****ing Adams...then fine.

But if Shero is happy with the way things are going...he is a part of the problem. Perhaps even more so than Bylsma.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

not that bold prediction: Sidney Crosby will never in his career have the same coach for 5 complete seasons in a row.