HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Top 20 Prospect list

Old
07-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
1. Latendresse 8.0C
2. Kostitsyn 8.0C
3.Price 8.0C
4. Grabovski 7.5B
5.Emelin 7.5C
6. Chipchura 6.5A
7.O'byrne 6.5B
8. Danis 7.0A
9. Fischer 7.5C
8. D'Agostini 6.5B
9. Carle 7.0C
10. S. Kostitsyn 7.0C
11. Mikus 7.0D
12. Lapierre 6.0A
13. O'Byrne 6.5A
14. Halak 7.5C
15. Aubin 7.0C
16. Cote 6.0B
17. Maxwell 7.5C
18.Valentenko 7.0C
19.White 6.0B
20.Locke 6.5D

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
wholeshow*

grabovsky will be the best of the bunch, just watch!

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
grabovsky will be the best of the bunch, just watch!
Yes, but -gasp!- he wasn't drafted in the first 2 rounds!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:25 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles View Post
Yes, but -gasp!- he wasn't drafted in the first 2 rounds!
he was not 18 yo neither

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
he was not 18 yo neither
He's one year older than Kostitsyn, whom he completely overshadowed in international play a few months ago.

He's also one year younger than Perezhogin. Does his draft age make that big of a difference?

Old
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
He's one year older than Kostitsyn, whom he completely overshadowed in international play a few months ago.

He's also one year younger than Perezhogin. Does his draft age make that big of a difference?
do you see guys two years older that the other taken in the first two rounds often?

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I'm referring to where they are now, but you're proving my point that people put too much emphasis on a player's draft day rather than what they can currently provide.

If one would use the world championships as basis of comparison, Grabovski has the most offensive upside of any Hab prospect. I believe that is the case. Hence, I could argue a 22 year old Grabovski is more talented than a 23 year old Perezhogin.

What remains to be seen is how Grabovski adapts to the North American game.

Old
07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm referring to where they are now, but you're proving my point that people put too much emphasis on a player's draft day rather than what they can currently provide.

If one would use the world championships as basis of comparison, Grabovski has the most offensive upside of any Hab prospect. I believe that is the case. Hence, I could argue a 22 year old Grabovski is more talented than a 23 year old Perezhogin.

What remains to be seen is how Grabovski adapts to the North American game.
How did you come up with Grabovsky being more talented then Perezhogin?

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Poochie_D

I'm surprised how low Danis is ranked on alot of lists...

1- Andrei Kostitsyn
2- Guillaume Latendresse
3- Carey Price
4- Kyle Chipchura
5- David Fischer
6- Yann Danis
7- Mikhail Grabovsky
8- Alexei Emelin
9- Ben Maxwell
10- Ryan O'Byrne
11- Maxim Lapierre
12- Mathieu Carle
13- Matthew D'Agostini
14- Corey Locke
15- Jaroslav Halak
16- Sergei Kostitsyn
17- Mathieu Aubin
18- Ryan White
19- Juraj Mikus
20- Jon Gleed

We have an amazing top 20. I'm impressed.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Beakermania*

check out my poll, we can get a consensus.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Marchy79

Here's my list:

1) Carey Price 9.0B
2) Andrei Kostitsyn 9.0C
3) Guillaume Latendresse 8.5C
4) David Fischer 8.5C
5) Kyle Chipchura 7.5C
6) Yann Danis 8.0C
7) Maxim Lapierre 6.0B
8) Ryan O'Byrne 7.0D
9) Mathieu Aubin 7.0C
10) Mikhail Grabovsky 8.0D
11) Alexei Emelin 7.0C
12) Ben Maxwell 7.0C
13) Mathieu Carle 8.0D
14) Matthew D'Agostini 6.5C
15) Jaroslav Halak 8.0D
16) Sergei Kostitsyn 7.0D
17) Corey Locke 7.0D
18) Ryan White 6.0C
19) Juraj Mikus 7.5D
20) Duncan Milroy 6.5C

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How did you come up with Grabovsky being more talented then Perezhogin?
Kostitsyn>Perezhogin

At the recent WCs Grabovski>Kostitsyn

Not to mention the accolades from non-Hab fans here at HF, as well as articles based on his performance. Seems to be quite the talent.

Old
07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Kostitsyn>Perezhogin

Not to mention the accolades from non-Hab fans here at HF, as well as articles based on his performance. Seems to be quite the talent.
Kostitsyn 2 yrs NA hockey vs. Grabovsky 0 yrs.

Offensive success at the World championships does not always translate into success on NA rinks. Hopefully that's not the case, but I'd be surprised if Grabovsky doesn't need some seasoning.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Netro

Here is my issue with people posting lists...have you seen all 20 players play? Personally, I think it is difficult to produce a list that includes players you have not seen play. I know I can't.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:44 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
Here is my issue with people posting lists...have you seen all 20 players play? Personally, I think it is difficult to produce a list that includes players you have not seen play. I know I can't.
By no means should these lists be looked at as an exact science. It's fun to do anyway even if all of the players haven't been seen. I've watched about 90 percent of the Habs top 40 prospects in one form or another, so why shouldn't I (and most here) be able to make a list? Obviously slating in fischer at 5th overall is a relaince on our scouting staff and what i've read and ascertained from ohters as I've not made the trip down to see any Apple Valley High School games of late.. who knows - he may end up being a stiff; he may end up a star.

1) Guillaume Latendresse
2) Andrei Kostitsyn
3) Carey Price
4) Kyle Chipchura
5) David Fischer
6) Alexei Emelin
7) Mikhail Grabovsky
8) Benjamin Maxwell
9) Mathieu Carle
10) Maxim Lapierre
11) Ryan O'Byrne
12) Matthew D'Agostini
13) Yann Danis
14) Sergei Kostitsyn
15) Ryan White
16) Jaroslav Halak
17) Mathieu Aubin
18) Juraj Mikus
19) Corey Locke
20) Oskari Korpikari

Candidates to move up: S. Kostitsyn, Carle, Grabovsky, Aubin, Price, Maxwell, White
Candidates to drop out: Locke, Korpikari
Candidates to graduate: Lapierre, Kosty, Chipchura, Murray, Cote
Candidates to make top 20 in '07: Valentenko, Cepek, Paquet, Wyman, Stewart

Borderline prospects (age):
Murray
Cote
Ferland

Others:
Stewart
Heino Lindberg
Valentenko
Cepek
Wyman
Lambert
Lemieux
Milroy
Paquet
Gleed
Jancevski
Korneev
Archer
Sanford
Lacasse
Urquhart
Bonneau
Linhart

Three second rounders in the "other list" - where would Milroy be on most people's lists now, about 30th? Disappointing to see Milroy drop lower every year following his Memorial Cup victory; I was hoping he had playoff pedigree and a sniper's touch, but it hasn't worked yet at the pro level. His skating has just never got to the level that's needed - this will be his last shot in the Habs organization I think - if he finally finds that scoring touch he had in junior he may sneak back into some people's top 20 lists again; it's up to him. He'll be one of the veterans in Hamilton this season.

As for Linhart.......never liked the decision...for a second round draft pick to be 42nd out of 42 prospects (IMO) four years after his draft is disappointing to say the least. Urquhart is even more of a disappointment because he was a 2nd rounder in such a strong draft year.

The jury will be out and watching Carle and Maxwell closely, LOL.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Kostitsyn>Perezhogin

How did you come up with Kostitsyn>Perezhogin? Just asking. I don't agree since Perezhogin was better in the AHL at the same age as a rookie then Kostitsyn was at the same age but as a 2nd year AHLer. Granted the team Perezhogin played on was much better but the impact he had on the team after a slow start, he was one of the top rookies in the AHL and was really starting to heat up before the damn lockout. Add to that, Perezhogin at 19 was an impact player in the RSL whereas Kostitsyn couldn't crack the roster although a year younger. Perezhogin spent time on the 4th line and some 2nd line duty, yet still was able to get 15 goals, which in the RSL is good for a rookie.

Perezhogin last year outscored Grabovsky in the RSL on a point per game average as well with 33 pts in 43 games, whereas Grabo had 36 pts in 60 games.

Don't know what the WC's have to do with this since Perezhogin hasn't played in them yet. Plus Grabovsky scored a lot of his points against weak teams. His 4 goal game 2 years ago was against Bruckler and a weak Austria team. He also had a big game against the Ukraine. Not trying to take anything away from Grabovsky or any of them cause I'm a big fan of all 3. Just wondering how you came up with this theory.

Quote:
I have seen them all but Fischer and Cepek with Fischer though I have seen the clips from the development camp, but I also have been reading up on him for months and I have seen Minnesota High School hocky games on tv this past season(the same channel that will show just about all of Fischers games at U of Minn) I've only seen Mikus play once, same with White. For me I've been making top 20 rosters for various sites for the last 3-4 years, so you sort of get a feel for how to make them although they are just for fun and don't mean a thing.

Old
07-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Perezhogin last year outscored Grabovsky in the RSL on a point per game average as well with 33 pts in 43 games, whereas Grabo had 36 pts in 60 games.
As far as this is concerned, Perezhogin played on a much better team. Grabovski lead his team with those 36 points, which were 11 higher than the next leading scorer.

In regards to Perez vs Kostitsyn, it's a matter of preference. I've never been too high on Perezhogin until the playoffs last year, when he was forechecking like crazy and seemed to find a way to get open more often than not. Kostitsyn, to me, looks much more dangerous offensively at times. I've seen both and feel Kostitsyn has the goods. Like I said, if you disagree, that's cool.

Old
07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
As far as this is concerned, Perezhogin played on a much better team. Grabovski lead his team with those 36 points, which were 11 higher than the next leading scorer.

In regards to Perez vs Kostitsyn, it's a matter of preference. I've never been too high on Perezhogin until the playoffs last year, when he was forechecking like crazy and seemed to find a way to get open more often than not. Kostitsyn, to me, looks much more dangerous offensively at times. I've seen both and feel Kostitsyn has the goods. Like I said, if you disagree, that's cool.
Omsk was a much better team then Neftekhimik but if you recall, Perezhogin went scoreless I believe for the first 9 of his 43 games, when he had his court troubles in Canada. He was playing on the 3rd line and at times on the 2nd line, I saw him a bunch that year. Grabovsky was on a kid line, so his point totals were impressive as well. I am just trying to figure how you came to the conclusion, and you have explained it well. I got to see Grabo in the playoffs with Neftekhimik, as well as several other times and I can safely say I'm one of his supporters. I was disappointed by Perezhogin this year, very disappointed, but I can't wait to see what guys like Perezhogin, Kostitsyn and Grabovsky can do for the Habs. I hope to see Perezhogin have a huge year, would love to see him pop 20 or close to it. Don't know what to expect for Grabo, but know that he will be very exciting player to watch.

Old
07-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Form and Substance

Cepek is a gem where he was picked. He could turn out like Stephane Robidas or maybe even Trevor Daley if all goes really really well. He's not as talented as Kris Russell offensively or defensively, but he's solid as hell. Great pickup in the seventh round IMO.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote