HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
I do hate the fact that we won't have a chance at drafting a franchise defenseman... who is a friggin' Avs fan! It's so rare that happens, and it felt so good getting Dutchy. It would be great getting Seth, but it's not happening.

--

From daddy Popeye:

“When I got to Denver we lived on a cul-de-sac the kids set up a net outside and were playing road hockey and Justin asked if we could go skating and Seth was just the little guy who tagged along. None of them were very good and it was just about skating at the rink, not so much hockey, until one day Justin asked if he could try. Well off they went to get all the stuff and Seth came along and soon they were both playing and by that time we had become Avalanche fans.

“I didn’t know anything about hockey and my kids were just out there enjoying themselves and one day just after the Pepsi centre opened I was coming out of practice and I noticed Joe Sakic in the weight room. I went up to him, introduced myself and asked him what I should do. He looked at me and said ‘I guess they’ll be all right for size, it’s skating that’s important.’ I went home that night and mentioned to the kids I’d talked to Joe and they were all excited saying ‘what’d he say, what’d he say?’ I told them and they went to a figure skating coach and that really helped them.”

Old
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 500
Don't stop believing, we can still tank!!!

Old
03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I do hate the fact that we won't have a chance at drafting a franchise defenseman... who is a friggin' Avs fan! It's so rare that happens, and it felt so good getting Dutchy. It would be great getting Seth, but it's not happening.
Is EJ a franchise defender?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:

--

From daddy Popeye:

“When I got to Denver we lived on a cul-de-sac the kids set up a net outside and were playing road hockey and Justin asked if we could go skating and Seth was just the little guy who tagged along. None of them were very good and it was just about skating at the rink, not so much hockey, until one day Justin asked if he could try. Well off they went to get all the stuff and Seth came along and soon they were both playing and by that time we had become Avalanche fans.

“I didn’t know anything about hockey and my kids were just out there enjoying themselves and one day just after the Pepsi centre opened I was coming out of practice and I noticed Joe Sakic in the weight room. I went up to him, introduced myself and asked him what I should do. He looked at me and said ‘I guess they’ll be all right for size, it’s skating that’s important.’ I went home that night and mentioned to the kids I’d talked to Joe and they were all excited saying ‘what’d he say, what’d he say?’ I told them and they went to a figure skating coach and that really helped them.”
Well, there's still hope he will come here as a UFA in any case.. and if we miss the playoffs there is still a miniscule chance we win the lottery so not all hope is lost!

Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I'll be roasted, but no, I don't think he is a franchise/#1 defenseman on a Stanley Cup contending team. I don't think the offense will ever be there.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Avs71

Quote:
I'll be roasted, but no, I don't think he is a franchise/#1 defenseman on a Stanley Cup contending team. I don't think the offense will ever be there.
EJ's far and away my favourite player and I second this. There is only a select few "franchise defenders." Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Chara, just off the top of my head.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
AvsFanRCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
EJ's far and away my favourite player and I second this. There is only a select few "franchise defenders." Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Chara, just off the top of my head.
You forgot Petry and Schultz

Old
03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
henchman24
If and if...

We don't need EJ to be a top 10 defender to compete. We simply need him to be top 20 (and have other really good pieces around him). I think he has that talent and capability. He just has to start putting it together and stay healthy.

There are a number of good defenders in this draft that the Avs might have a good chance at getting between 10-20 though.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
You never know.

O'Reilly comes back. Drama ensues. The locker room is divided. #1 overall is ours.

Last edited by GamingGiant: 03-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
You shouldnt get roasted (what does that even mean) ej isnt a franchise defender. Thats why I brought him up.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
If it's not a top 7-8 pick, package it with Staz on draft day and get something good.
This is what I'm thinking too.

If we miss out on all of Barkov/Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Monahan/Nichushkin I would say we could look at trading the 9/10th pick for a dman from a bad team (like Florida). Not sure what would be available but if there wasn't a good deal you just go ahead as planned and take the BPA. But I do think its an option they should explore.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Maybe not, but with another good #2/3 who complements his playing style, he'd be exceptionally good. Gotta have our scouts, etc figure out who that is and go get the guy is all.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:08 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'm against trading our first. This teams prospect core is pretty weak, especially up front. We're going to need some young cheap talent to come in within the next few years to offset the big contracts some guys will eventually get.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:11 PM
henchman24
If and if...

The only way we should trade our first is in a package to move up. We need to develop a top pairing defensemen, a #2 or 3 center (assuming we lose one of ROR or Stastny), and goal scoring wing within the next 3-4 years at minimum to compete with this core.

We may have that center in Sgarbossa, but we don't have the other two parts.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm against trading our first. This teams prospect core is pretty weak, especially up front. We're going to need some young cheap talent to come in within the next few years to offset the big contracts some guys will eventually get.
I agree. Especially when we traded our first last year for Varlamov. It was crucial to get a goalie. But we also need at least one more high draft pick player added to this team IMO.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Basing this if we get the 10th overall pick, my list,

Players drafted, top 4/Lindholm/Monahan/Shinkaruk/Pulock/Nichushkin

*Note: if Nichuskin is available here, he is my first selection*

1. Adam Erne, RW [Amazing player that can beat you with speed or toughness, Bobby Ryan qualities to his game]
2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D [Solid two-way defenseman that can play all situations]
3. Josh Morrissey, D [I love this kid, picture a less talented version of Ryan Murray, but more physical]
4. Max Domi, C [This kid has some of the sickest hands in the draft and brings his father's compete and pest level]
5. Kerby Rychel, C [Fantastic two-way player who has captain material and good skill set]

HM: Nikita Zadorov, D [A beast of defensive-defenseman]
HM: Frederik Gauthier, C [Jordan Staal type of game, but less physical]

If we are around the 15th pick, I totally agree! He was hella impressive at the WJC's and seems like a very underrated prospect.

E: Who is this Wennberg guy? I watched like one of his games, but seems too small for NHL to be a first round selection.
Wennberg is having a great season in sweden but one of my friends is living in London and he is is love with Bo Horvat.

During the ''ROR will be traded'' period he was always telling me: Mike if you make a trade, you need to receive a pick around
15th and select Horvat. This kid is the new ROR.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:08 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Not in the draft, but the Avs should make a run at trying to sign Nate Schmidt. He is really impressive. Decent size, strong, great hands, and a cannon.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
avsfan09

I wouldn't mind trading our pick as long as it is for a young player who should become part of our core. With a pick you don't know what your going to get. If we package it we could get a significant piece towards the future and they can play starting next year. It really depends on where we finish up though but I can't see us being top ten anymore.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Not in the draft, but the Avs should make a run at trying to sign Nate Schmidt. He is really impressive. Decent size, strong, great hands, and a cannon.
Lol, the Avs don't sign free agents out of college. Even so, he's too similar to what we already have in the system.

We need big, 2-way d-men now

Old
03-02-2013, 12:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
There's no way in hell I want the Avalanche to trade our first rounder this year.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
You forgot Petry and Schultz
And Shattenkirk

Old
03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
There's no way in hell I want the Avalanche to trade our first rounder this year.
+1

It's now more important than ever that the team stock up on prospects--that's good, young, cheap talent to put on the roster. Besides which, the "cubbard" is about to be bare once again, but for good reasons. Apart from a goalie, the system has needs all around.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
+1

It's now more important than ever that the team stock up on prospects--that's good, young, cheap talent to put on the roster. Besides which, the "cubbard" is about to be bare once again, but for good reasons. Apart from a goalie, the system has needs all around.
All good points that add to the fact that this is "the best draft class in a decade."

People laugh at that statement because they claim people make it every year...but I don't. 2011 was slightly above average, 2012 was a great year for defenceman, 2013 looks absolutely fantastic, while 2014 looks to be a very very weak crop at this point in time.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Wennberg is having a great season in sweden but one of my friends is living in London and he is is love with Bo Horvat.

During the ''ROR will be traded'' period he was always telling me: Mike if you make a trade, you need to receive a pick around
15th and select Horvat. This kid is the new ROR.
Horvat has very decent talent, fantastic playmaker and is tougher than what his frame is. But I don't think he is a top 20 player, IMO. He would be a steal if he fell to the 2nd rounder, though he looks like a solid 20s player. Currently I would rather have Hartman over him.

Quote:
All good points that add to the fact that this is "the best draft class in a decade."

People laugh at that statement because they claim people make it every year...but I don't. 2011 was slightly above average, 2012 was a great year for defenceman, 2013 looks absolutely fantastic, while 2014 looks to be a very very weak crop at this point in time.
Yup, totally agree.

2014 is not looking good
2015 is still ways ahead, but could be better than this draft!

Old
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

I'm reading that this draft has at least 4 legit #1 picks, which means the guys who usually go in the 5-10 slots will be pushed that much lower. Of course I've also read on The Hockey News that they're questioning the depth of this draft that they were originally lauding. I have faith though that we come out with a winner in this draft in the first round.

Closed Thread