HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 10:32 AM
NLHabsFan

vCash: 500
I hope Price never has to steal us a game and continues to lead the league in wins. I don't care how they come, but keep the W's rolling!

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The incredulous part about this thread even existing is that we're 13-4-3 with the best goal differential in the East.

Price hasn't been as sharp since we took to limiting the opposition to 5 shots through half the game, but I'm confident he'll make the necessary adjustments. Price has too often kept us in the game when it was clear we were out of it without him - cannot comprehend why this type of thread has popped up if you've watched the Habs in the last 3 seasons.

Yeah he hasn't really had to steal a game this year, but that's a positive - we've played so well in front of him.
Actually he has been even sharper lately. He let in one bad goal in Ottawa otherwise we're talking about three shutouts in his past 6 games instead of only two.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:59 AM
CTHabsfan

The Canadiens are doing well, so what is the point of this thread? Is it necessary to always have something to complain about, or is this a, wish they kept Halak, have to find something wrong with Price, thing?

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
The Canadiens are doing well, so what is the point of this thread? Is it necessary to always have something to complain about, or is this a, wish they kept Halak, have to find something wrong with Price, thing?
Apparently it's "illogical" to be happy and not complain about things even when the team is doing well.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
#1-I'm not complaining.
Actually you are

You are blaming Price for not playing like a top 5 goalie especially with the top 3 goalie salary he coomands. You are discrediting his stats. You are discrediting his wins saying any decent goalie would have won anyway and you're blaming Price (solely) for a couple of losses. Basically, you are expecting Price to win at least 13 out of 16 starts.

Sorry that is complaining about his performances.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Actually you are

You are blaming Price for not playing like a top 5 goalie especially with the top 3 goalie salary he coomands. You are discrediting his stats. You are discrediting his wins saying any decent goalie would have won anyway and you're blaming Price (solely) for a couple of losses. Basically, you are expecting Price to win at least 13 out of 16 starts.

Sorry that is complaining about his performances.
So can't say that Price isn't the best goalie in the league, otherwise it's whining. Got it. Should have known better, sorry guys. Carry on.

E = CH² is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
So can't say that Price isn't the best goalie in the league, otherwise it's whining. Got it. Should have known better, sorry guys. Carry on.
Who's better? Lundqvist? Renne? Maybe those two guys but that's about it. I'd take Price over any goalie in the league right now. And he's probably going to get better.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Who's better? Lundqvist? Renne? Maybe those two guys but that's about it. I'd take Price over any goalie in the league right now. And he's probably going to get better.
Not sure if I'd take Carey over any goalie right now, but I would not replace Carey with any of those guys.

When you get to the top quality goaltenders in the league, it's hard to pick one over the other. But I definitely wouldn't replace Carey with any of those goalies. No reason to.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
11-3-2.

Why are we complaining again?
Where is the complaint again? Reading comprehension seems to be a big problem on these boards. E = CH² hasn't made a complaint. He's made a simple observation. It's not because we're at the top of the East that we have to stop discussing our team, especially the savior, Carey Price.

I think some people have problems with their emotions tbh. He hasn't bashed/put down or complained about Price at all. Simply stating he isn't the best in the league isn't complaining. He's stated ad nauseum that he is plenty content with Price's play. Try reading the posts instead of arguing against a position he's never held.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Dekar

Carey's style is such that he steals many games, but you barely notice because of how easy he makes it look. He is positionally one of if not the best goaltender in the league, so he doesn't put himself out of position enough to need to make highlight reel saves that stand out. Every goaltender will allow a bad goal here and there, but most goalies have the ability to make flashy saves to make you quickly forget about them. The best highlights you'll see out of Price are glove saves point blank, and some random stick saves when there's a lot of traffic in and around the crease.

Remember that crazy glove saves a couple of seasons ago against Chad Larose? You wouldn't see that now since, even if Larose scored through a hole in Price, Price would already be over to that side. One of the things he becomes better and better at is his anticipation. Remember when (I forget who it was) a few games ago, Price almost got beat by going behind the net to stop a dump-in, but instead the player fooled him by shooting it at the net from center ice? He was doing his typical Price-style anticipation, and the guy who shot it was a veteran and did what not many players would even think to do, something you can't anticipate. It takes that to beat him most of the time.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Where is the complaint again? Reading comprehension seems to be a big problem on these boards. E = CH² hasn't made a complaint. He's made a simple observation. It's not because we're at the top of the East that we have to stop discussing our team, especially the savior, Carey Price.
Where are the posts hailing Carey as "the saviour"?

Reading comprehension seems to be a big problem on these boards.

Seems like the problem is that people want him to be a saviour and that any less than this is not good enough.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Where are the posts hailing Carey as "the saviour"?

Reading comprehension seems to be a big problem on these boards.

Seems like the problem is that people want him to be a saviour and that any less than this is not good enough.
By the fact a poster made a simple observation and now has to defend his position against the entire board. Seems plenty consider Price our savior.

Once again, no one even remotely suggested that Price wasn't good enough. Keep talking in circles.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Dont you mean Carey on?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Not sure if I'd take Carey over any goalie right now, but I would not replace Carey with any of those guys.

When you get to the top quality goaltenders in the league, it's hard to pick one over the other. But I definitely wouldn't replace Carey with any of those goalies. No reason to.
Not trying to say he's better than those other two... but I'd say he's just as good. No issue with somebody saying Rinne or Lundqvist are the best, but I've got no issue with somebody saying Price either. He's that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Carey's style is such that he steals many games, but you barely notice because of how easy he makes it look. He is positionally one of if not the best goaltender in the league, so he doesn't put himself out of position enough to need to make highlight reel saves that stand out. Every goaltender will allow a bad goal here and there, but most goalies have the ability to make flashy saves to make you quickly forget about them. The best highlights you'll see out of Price are glove saves point blank, and some random stick saves when there's a lot of traffic in and around the crease.
Yup, makes tons of saves and then folks say he didn't steal anything... Hell most of our wins over the past few years have been because of Carey Price. For a long time he was the only player worth watching. Even on last year's horrible team he was still solid.

He's playing well this season again, it's just that this time he hasn't needed to steal as many games that's all.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Andy

Quote:
Not trying to say he's better than those other two... but I'd say he's just as good.
I agree. Definitely among (note this does not mean he is) the best in the league.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Perrah

Quote:

I think some people have problems with their emotions tbh. He hasn't bashed/put down or complained about Price at all. Simply stating he isn't the best in the league isn't complaining. He's stated ad nauseum that he is plenty content with Price's play. Try reading the posts instead of arguing against a position he's never held.
Yes but discussing where Price hasnt stolen a game when the habs really havent been outplayed except for that terrible leafs game, doesnt have much substance to it. Hes been making timely saves in most games and really that is all it comes down to in the end as long as the team is winning. The time for theft will come but the team was playing so well that they didnt need it until the second of a back to back and Budaj plays those games.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Andy

Quote:
By the fact a poster made a simple observation and now has to defend his position against the entire board. Seems plenty consider Price our savior.

Once again, no one even remotely suggested that Price wasn't good enough. Keep talking in circles.
Again, where do people say he is the saviour? Keep talking in circles.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said Price was the best goalie in the league, I even said there are better goalie than Price this season.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:09 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Yes but discussing where Price hasnt stolen a game when the habs really havent been outplayed except for that terrible leafs game doesnt have much substance to it. Hes been making timely saves in most games and really that is all it comes down to in the end as long as the team is winning. The time for theft will come but the team was playing so well that they didnt need it until the second of a back to back and Budaj plays those games.
I agree with your entire post. However, the thread was created and now we're discussing it. No one is putting Price down, he's been great, but he hasn't really stolen a game, which is the topic that the OP was discussing.

No one has put Price down in this entire thread. No one has complained about him and no one wants to trade him for Halak, but there are quite a few that are a little too emotionally attached. A simple observation doesn't need to be attacked by everyone.

I'm happy with Price's play. I'm happy with the entire teams play. I'm not incredibly happy with the ice-time handling of Subban, but that's another topic. Sometimes a team can win despite poor decisions by the coaching staff. Look at Phil Housley at the WJC. Therrien's got the boys rolling for now, but I sure hope Subban gets set free here soon with increased minutes. Fourth or fifth on this squad in ice-time for a dman is unacceptable.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:03 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Again, where do people say he is the saviour? Keep talking in circles.
The Jesus Price joke is so old nobody recognizes the joke in it anymore and takes it serious.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
A top 10 goaler right now in the NHL. Not a Top3 franchise goalie, he is just above average. And to say that you can't get better than Price in the NHL right now is pure idolizing .
I don't see how you can say this. He logs more icetime than any goalie in the NHL and put up very respectable numbers behind an awful team last year. He's consistently strong and is 25 (an age where most goalies are just starting their careers.) You don't see this guy as a franchise goalie?

Old
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
I don't see how you can say this. He logs more icetime than any goalie in the NHL and put up very respectable numbers behind an awful team last year. He's consistently strong and is 25 (an age where most goalies are just starting their careers.) You don't see this guy as a franchise goalie?
You'll probably never convince him. The guy who does log more minutes and faces more shots is Cam Ward and despite playing great in front of the worst defence in the NHL, he's still called overrated by everyone.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
I see him as a No1 Goaler with who you can win and go far in playoff, but no, I'm not seeing him as a franchise goalie. A franchise goalie is a Patrick Roy who win a cup by himself. There is few of elite goaler these day. Everyone of them have hot streak and cold streak, Some more some less, and you gotta find yourself one good goaler, above average to succeed.

The Habs succed are far from beeing dependant on Price success, proof, even with Price oh so beautiful stats last year, we were last in the east. We are not first now because Price have improve, we are first because the team have improve.

That's why saying Price is our franchise guy, the no1 reason we are winning, our best player on the time and that he has established himself as a Top 3 NHL goalie is irrational. He is far from that, he still have a lot to prove , he still let weak goals in at bad time that cost us game. I'm sure he will improve and someday, yes, he could become a proven Top 5 goalie in the NHL. But he is not right now.

Don't want to change the subject of the topic, but same thing for Eller. The guy have potential and could became one day a Top 2 center. But RIGHT NOW, he is not. And when somebody dare saying it, the whole boards turn in PMS full power . The kid has still a lot prove and improve, and it's not a little hot streak or a game of 1g 1a here and there that is gonna change that.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
You'll probably never convince him.
No, cause I have a firm opinion. Is that some kind of sect, where everyone gotta be convert into thinking he is the best goalie of the league? I still respect you even if you are kissing your Price lover poster in your room after each game, respect my opinion of still having reservation about him and not jumping in the unconditional love bandwagon.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
habdynasty

so glad the days of giving up 40 shots a game are behind the team. Keep up the good woork Pricer!!

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote