HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins @ Canadiens|2/3/13 at 7:00EST|Endorsed by Shane Endicott

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Eaton and Despres in, Martin and Bortuzzo out.

At least Despres gets to play.
Seriously? Bylsma simply can't help himself, can he.

I thought the Eaton signing was for depth reasons and he'd be the 8th guy who sits in the press box unless our lineup is completely decimated by injury. Instead, he's now part of the regular rotation if a rookie has one bad game?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Bennett Brauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Seriously? Bylsma simply can't help himself, can he.

I thought the Eaton signing was for depth reasons and he'd be the 8th guy who sits in the press box unless our lineup is completely decimated by injury. Instead, he's now part of the regular rotation if a rookie has one bad game?
The Penguins signed a guy who said he would play for free to a 1 year, 1 way, $775,000 contract. Bylsma likes veterans, Shero likes Eaton, played for him in Nashville and was his 1st free agent signing as a GM here. They're doing a former teammate a favor.

Did you hear Bylsma's quote after Eaton was signed? Something like...

Quote:
"I see no reason to rush Mark Eaton to play in this game or the next"
He was talking about Florida and Carolina, he hinted then that Eaton would play against Montreal.

They didn't sign him for depth, they signed him to play.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:15 PM
jester91

Vokoun in, sweet we're going for the sweep!

Old
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Bennett Brauer

I don't mind Eaton playing, but in the top 4? Realy?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
is there a better option available?
Ruff?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Ruff?
Ah yes, the guy who's coached his team to 3 playoff no-shows and 2 first round losses in the past 5 years. That will surely be the end of our playoff woes.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Ruff?
Buffalo fans wanted him gone as bad as some of you want Bylsma gone. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I don't mind Eaton in the top 4 to start. He'll earn more or less by how he plays and I'll be interested to see how he does. I know he struggled with the Isles last year but who didn't struggle for that group. They picked 4th overall for a reason.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't mind Eaton in the top 4 to start. He'll earn more or less by how he plays and I'll be interested to see how he does. I know he struggled with the Isles last year but who didn't struggle for that group. They picked 4th overall for a reason.
In my opinion, the Ideal defense tonight should be.

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Eaton-Engelland

Old
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I believe two coaches have already been identified as quality candidates: Dallas Eakins and Jon Cooper from the AHL. I would also nominate three more: Tom Fitzgerald (if he wants the gig), Ron Francis (if he wants the gig) and Ulf Samuelsson.

Lastly, if we're looking for a really SHORT term fix, Mike Keenan is the TYPE of coach I would want...I think he's probably done coaching, but why Keenan would be a fit is he loves to play his star players a lot. He's basically a three-line coach. That would work well here.

I don't want Lindy Ruff. He's past his prime. He needs to take some time away from hockey even if he wants to get back into the game. He was in one place too long.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Ah yes, the guy who's coached his team to 3 playoff no-shows and 2 first round losses in the past 5 years. That will surely be the end of our playoff woes.
Well, if you compare Buffalo's roster with the Pens roster I'd say that's not too bad.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Buffalo fans wanted him gone as bad as some of you want Bylsma gone. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I totally disagree. Eaton will get minutes because he's Mark Eaton. He won't lose minutes. Despres and Bortuzzo were NOT the problems for the Penguins in their losses.

I wouldn't care if they were sitting for someone who was actually good at hockey. That they are sitting for a 35-year old Mark Eaton who was signed off the street just continues to show how Bylsma is unable to cope with young players. He'd rather use a talentless 35 year old than 20-somethings with a ton of skill.

But yes, there's absolutely no one out there who could coach the Penguins to a similar or better record. There's no one who could do better against the Flyers in the post-season. Bylsma is the best we can hope for.

Please, fire the players.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
In my opinion, the Ideal defense tonight should be.

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Eaton-Engelland
Instead? What are the projected pairings?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I believe two coaches have already been identified as quality candidates: Dallas Eakins and Jon Cooper from the AHL. I would also nominate three more: Tom Fitzgerald (if he wants the gig), Ron Francis (if he wants the gig) and Ulf Samuelsson.

Lastly, if we're looking for a really SHORT term fix, Mike Keenan is the TYPE of coach I would want...I think he's probably done coaching, but why Keenan would be a fit is he loves to play his star players a lot. He's basically a three-line coach. That would work well here.

I don't want Lindy Ruff. He's past his prime. He needs to take some time away from hockey even if he wants to get back into the game. He was in one place too long.
I want Dallas Eakins. Ive mentioned him a few times. But his current contract prevents him from leaving the Marlies during the season for an NHL job not in Toronto. The good news? Carlyle is liking earning himself the job for next year (and beyond). The Bad news: Shero would actually have to be interested in firing Disco and looking outside the organization to hire his replacement.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Ulfie is my 1st choice. Great head for the game and he seems like he can walk the line between being a players coach but not overly one of the guys either. The 'yotes raved about him a few years ago and I actually think he understands the offensive part of hockey better than people think.

Another guy I really wouldn't mind seeing is Goulet. He might be more GM material though.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Instead? What are the projected pairings?
From the morning skate.

Eaton-Niskanen
Orpik-Letang
Despres-Engelland

Old
03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

I hope I get to watch this game tonight, and really hope that the Pens get out of this slump.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Ugene Malkin
Shultz.....!

Moved to proper thread.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 03-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 12:49 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I totally disagree. Eaton will get minutes because he's Mark Eaton. He won't lose minutes. Despres and Bortuzzo were NOT the problems for the Penguins in their losses.

I wouldn't care if they were sitting for someone who was actually good at hockey. That they are sitting for a 35-year old Mark Eaton who was signed off the street just continues to show how Bylsma is unable to cope with young players. He'd rather use a talentless 35 year old than 20-somethings with a ton of skill.

But yes, there's absolutely no one out there who could coach the Penguins to a similar or better record. There's no one who could do better against the Flyers in the post-season. Bylsma is the best we can hope for.

Have you seen Tangradi's ice time lately? I want to tell you, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

Let's wait and see how Eaton plays before saying he isn't good at hockey anymore. I'm not holding a bad +/- on a horrendous Isles team last year against him.

I never said Bylsma was the best coach in the league and we can't do better. I do think he's a good coach though and I wouldn't assume that just any random hire will come in and do as good or better.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:52 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Have you seen Tangradi's ice time lately? I want to tell you, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.
I know what it is. I haven't been watching them the past week (haven't watched much hockey), but okay, Tangradi sucks. I was wrong - but I've been keeping an eye on ice time.

So Despres and Bortuzzi suck? So Lovejoy and Strait are able to go log competent, big minutes for other teams?

Mark Eaton is the answer?

One interesting thing: they (the Jets) were rolling 4 lines consistently when Tangradi was traded there. Now they are basically a 3 line team with the 4th line getting like 4 minutes a game. Tangradi hasn't been good, but his linemates have been worse.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Lomez
Old School

I hope the Pens win tonight if for no other reason to stop the complaining and whining. Nothing personal, me too.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I know what it is. I haven't been watching them the past week (haven't watched much hockey), but okay, Tangradi sucks. I was wrong

So Despres and Bortuzzi suck? So Lovejoy and Strait are able to go log competent, big minutes for other teams?

Mark Eaton is the answer?
Mark Eaton is just a veteran that they aren't afraid of ruining his development if he has to sit in the press box for a month when there's no injuries. Lovejoy and Strait were not that. Lovejoy clearly struggled with being in and out of the lineup. He played terribly and that may be the reason why.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Lets hope that Eaton's age doesn't show.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I hope the Pens win tonight if for no other reason to stop the complaining and whining. Nothing personal, me too.
Agreed but I doubt it will stop either way.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Only two things will end the *****ing and moaning:

1) Playoff success

or

2) A major move (firing or trade)

Closed Thread