HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Morrow

View Poll Results: Do you think Dallas will trade Brenden Morrow?
Yes 28 58.33%
No 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
  #26
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That's something you have to think about. 2 days ago I'd say no. Today .... GM Joe said over and over again in every interview that losing Ryder for nothing was important.

Your replaced Ryder. How do you replace Roy by trading him? That's a tough one.

You're in another situation where the team would be looking to fill a hole with the trade rather than getting the best possible package.
Well for the rest of the season you roll with Benn-Eakin-Roussell-Fiddler or perhaps you bring up Sceviour.

Next season I really think you see if Chiasson can fill that Eakin 3rd line center role and give Cody every chance to succeed as a 2nd line center with Whitney and Eriksson riding shotgun.

This whole thing is so strange though. Joe appears to be trying to straddle the fence and I wonder just what he will do with these vets. In a way you could flip Morrow for a pick if you get a roster player for Jagr. That makes it possible for Roussel and Fraser to be in the lineup.

I don't expect any firsts or crazy returns but I think moving the UFAs could collectively bring a good return of assets back to Dallas. I just don't know if Joe has seen the writing on the wall of the club this season to aggressively sell at the deadline.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
  #27
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Chiasson still isn't playing center in the AHL ... well .... he's not even playing right now. After the hit he took, it's either a concussion or a shoulder.

I don't think that's a realistic projection at this point.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
  #28
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
As a representative of the Pittsburgh delegation, we'd like to add Morrow. We really need someone that's been there before and can take control in the locker room a little bit like Bill Guerin did in 2009. There isn't a real strong voice in there overall. If Morrow can bring some grit, toughness and leadership, I don't really care what he does on the ice.

I'd prefer to move Engelland and a pick for him, if I had a choice. But you guys just dumped Fistric, so I'm not sure why Engelland (or Bortuzzo for that matter) has too much appeal for you guys right now.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
  #29
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Chiasson still isn't playing center in the AHL ... well .... he's not even playing right now. After the hit he took, it's either a concussion or a shoulder.

I don't think that's a realistic projection at this point.
Then perhaps Roussel is playing his way into that checking line center role. I don't know. I'm sure they'll try to plan something in place of Roy but if it comes down to "No I will not sign till I've tested free agency," regardless of whether you have someone or not can they/should they trade him for whatever he can fetch?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
  #30
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Then perhaps Roussel is playing his way into that checking line center role. I don't know. I'm sure they'll try to plan something in place of Roy but if it comes down to "No I will not sign till I've tested free agency," regardless of whether you have someone or not can they/should they trade him for whatever he can fetch?
Dallas marches to it's own drum so me saying can they or should they is pointless. My best educated guess is they do nothing. Should they do something is pretty obvious.

Here's the thing ... trading for Cole, rather other people agree, indicates to me they're going for the playoffs. GM Joe saying right afterwards that they would still be active in the trade market looking to get better ... says the same thing. None of that adds up to trading Roy for futures.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  #31
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dallas marches to it's own drum so me saying can they or should they is pointless. My best educated guess is they do nothing. Should they do something is pretty obvious.

Here's the thing ... trading for Cole, rather other people agree, indicates to me they're going for the playoffs. GM Joe saying right afterwards that they would still be active in the trade market looking to get better ... says the same thing. None of that adds up to trading Roy for futures.
I don't disagree with your assessment of what Joe is probably trying to do. I just disagree with his judgment of this team. You shouldn't need 5 goals to beat two of the poorest offensive teams in the league. They've played well at times but they've also been poor defensively and shown a complete lack of ability to close games out or beat the bottom dwellers like they should.

I don't anticipate them trading Roy for futures because Joe's never really done that with a prominent piece. It may be the play of the team during March dictates what happens but if we're still hovering I fear Joe will do something stupid to keep his job rather than continuing down this "rebuild" they're on right now. None of his trades have ever really filled me with great confidence, except Eakin, though that's almost in hindsight considering how the kid has played.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
  #32
Satan
no one is lost
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange ☂
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 44,177
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I don't disagree with your assessment of what Joe is probably trying to do. I just disagree with his judgment of this team. You shouldn't need 5 goals to beat two of the poorest offensive teams in the league. They've played well at times but they've also been poor defensively and shown a complete lack of ability to close games out or beat the bottom dwellers like they should.

I don't anticipate them trading Roy for futures because Joe's never really done that with a prominent piece. It may be the play of the team during March dictates what happens but if we're still hovering I fear Joe will do something stupid to keep his job rather than continuing down this "rebuild" they're on right now. None of his trades have ever really filled me with great confidence, except Eakin, though that's almost in hindsight considering how the kid has played.
I think he's confident in his amateur scouting to continue finding great players - Dillon, Roussel and then drafting guys like Oleksiak, Faksa. Therefore the team won't go into "full rebuild" mode. Hence why Ryder was moved for Cole and not future picks/prospects.

This team isn't a bottom dweller as bad as our defense is. I think Derek Roy gets extended rather than traded for futures, regardless of where the team is. But that is on Roy's willingness to stay.

I still don't have full confidence in JN's moves though, like yourself. But that's the way she goes.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
  #33
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
From Heika's chat:

Quote:
They have, and that might have been one reason Ryder was dealt. I was told that the Stars were informed Ryder wanted to test free agency, and that the Stars did not want to wait until the summer and then possibly lose him for nothing. The guess is Jagr will wait (he usually does) and the Stars will wait with him, that Morrow will not get an offer, and that Roy will get an offer and then the Stars will react. If Roy turns it down, he also could be traded. But that's all speculation at this point.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:50 PM
  #34
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 500
If we can get a good return for Roy I won't lose any sleep. Eakin has all of the tools to be a 2nd line center and we have the wingers to compliment him. Would be nice to get 1/2 D for a package deal of Roy + Morrow at the deadline (assuming we are out of the playoffs).

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
  #35
Starsdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 500
Would not suprise me that Philly is more interested in Jagr than Morrow and we take aguy like Meszaros back.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:04 PM
  #36
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Worley at DBD has come to the same conclusion I had ... he feels Morrow gets trade, he's probably going East, and the top candidates are probably Pittsburgh and Boston.

Pittsburgh is always looking for a winger for Crosby, and the rumors out of Boston is they need a winger for the 3rd line.

IMO ... they need to maximize all the positive momentum gained by Morrow on the Benn line. I hope this goes down sooner rather than later. Whitney is a probably about a week away (reported to start practicing this coming week). Even if they move sooner, they have Fraser and Vincour that can handle an NHL spot ... whether it's Fraser in the Top 6 or Vincour getting added to the Bottom 6 until Whitney is healthy.

They've got the depth to make a move without feeling much pressure should injuries strike. Hopefully they do the right thing ... for Morrow and Dallas. Morrow probably won't have another better opportunity to be an active member of a Stanley Cup Champion.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  #37
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
BTW ... the name Boston fans throw out in nearly every proposal is Jordan Caron. To me ... he's just a French-Canadian version of Tomas Vincour. Wing is definitely not a position Dallas has much of a need at.

That said, he's probably the best asset available when you consider the limited pool of teams Dallas would want to work with (Eastern Conference) and the teams Morrow would allow a trade too (contenders).

At this point ... I'd take the guy. He's not having the best year statistically down in the AHL so you might even get a late pick with him.

NESN special on him from last March

He mentioned skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer, and I know Alex Chiasson mentioned in an interview at BU that he works on power skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer as well ... could be some familiarity with the two players.


Last edited by BigG44: 03-02-2013 at 02:29 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
  #38
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Caron played on a line with Mark Recchi during part of the 2010-11 season.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
  #39
Fly Like a C5
Registered User
 
Fly Like a C5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
BTW ... the name Boston fans throw out in nearly every proposal is Jordan Caron. To me ... he's just a French-Canadian version of Tomas Vincour. Wing is definitely not a position Dallas has much of a need at.

That said, he's probably the best asset available when you consider the limited pool of teams Dallas would want to work with (Eastern Conference) and the teams Morrow would allow a trade too (contenders).

At this point ... I'd take the guy. He's not having the best year statistically down in the AHL so you might even get a late pick with him.

NESN special on him from last March

He mentioned skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer, and I know Alex Chiasson mentioned in an interview at BU that he works on power skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer as well ... could be some familiarity with the two players.
Spooner and Knight are two Boston prospects that would interest me, but Morrow's probably not worth enough to get either guy. Caron doesn't really excite me, but he's better than keeping Morrow for the rest of the season.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  #40
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: College Station
Country: Latvia
Posts: 19,349
vCash: 500
Caron is still young, and the depth we'd have in our bottom 6 would be crazy if we add him.

Would definitely be glad to add him for Morrow.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  #41
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Spooner and Knight are two Boston prospects that would interest me, but Morrow's probably not worth enough to get either guy. Caron doesn't really excite me, but he's better than keeping Morrow for the rest of the season.
Don't even say those names ... you're such a tease.



Spooner is a little guy, but he's the guy I probably want most from Boston. Ryder might ... huge emphasis on might ... have been able to get you in the conversation, but I doubt it. He's played too well as a 1st year pro though for me to believe he's available.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  #42
Fly Like a C5
Registered User
 
Fly Like a C5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Don't even say those names ... you're such a tease.



Spooner is a little guy, but he's the guy I probably want most from Boston. Ryder might ... huge emphasis on might ... have been able to get you in the conversation, but I doubt it. He's played too well as a 1st year pro though for me to believe he's available.
Haha just let me dream.

Spooner can also play center which would make it easier to trade Roy if you can't work out a new contract with him. I'd wouldn't have a problem adding a pick to Morrow in order to get Spooner, but like you said Boston is unlikely to be willing to trade him.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  #43
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Caron is still young, and the depth we'd have in our bottom 6 would be crazy if we add him.

Would definitely be glad to add him for Morrow.
Could potentially replace Nystrom on the 4th line for the time being.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
  #44
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: College Station
Country: Latvia
Posts: 19,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Could potentially replace Nystrom on the 4th line for the time being.
I think for this season at least, he'd take the 3rd line spot with Eakin and Smith.

What I'd like to see next year (with Caron):

Cole - Benn - Eriksson
Whitney - Roy - Fraser/Chiasson
Caron/Vincour - Eakin - Smith
Caron/Vincour - Fiddler - Garbutt/Roussel
Garbutt/Roussel

I really like that forward group. Bottom 6 is probably a bit too young, but I don't think you're gonna get much better than that.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
  #45
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,069
vCash: 500
Why do so many want to replace Nystrom? He's been more than you could ask for on the 4th line.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
  #46
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: College Station
Country: Latvia
Posts: 19,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Why do so many want to replace Nystrom? He's been more than you could ask for on the 4th line.
I'd like to keep him, actually. He's a great guy on and off the ice. But there's just no room for him if we were to add a bottom 6 player for Morrow. He'd struggle to hold onto a spot without adding another bottom 6 guy IMO, anyways.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:37 PM
  #47
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I think for this season at least, he'd take the 3rd line spot with Eakin and Smith.
Yep. I was wrong about the 4th line, which seems pretty set for this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Why do so many want to replace Nystrom? He's been more than you could ask for on the 4th line.
He could potentially not be re-signed after this season.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  #48
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
I still don't think it's enough but I wonder if Morrow and Vincour is enough to land Spooner. Doubtful but at least Boston would get an asset to keep besides just renting Morrow.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  #49
haf
Registered User
 
haf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
As a representative of the Pittsburgh delegation, we'd like to add Morrow. We really need someone that's been there before and can take control in the locker room a little bit like Bill Guerin did in 2009. There isn't a real strong voice in there overall. If Morrow can bring some grit, toughness and leadership, I don't really care what he does on the ice.

I'd prefer to move Engelland and a pick for him, if I had a choice. But you guys just dumped Fistric, so I'm not sure why Engelland (or Bortuzzo for that matter) has too much appeal for you guys right now.
Niskanen looks a real good young two-way defenseman that fits our direction pretty well.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  #50
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I still don't think it's enough but I wonder if Morrow and Vincour is enough to land Spooner. Doubtful but at least Boston would get an asset to keep besides just renting Morrow.
Sign me up! Doubt it happens though.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.