Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Toward the end of last season Larsen was our best defenseman and he played superbly in Finland when given responsibility. Larsen may or may not fit in Dallas but it's way, way too early to throw in the towel on him as to whether he's an NHL caliber defenseman. Just like Niskanen, when everyone wanted him gone, good coaching would go a long way to helping Larsen be the player he's capable of. He's just not getting that, time on ice, or the right partner to help him play his game.
I wouldn't give up on him either, but people really need to lower their expectations for the kid. There is far too much time spent worrying about a guy who might top out as an average 3-5 d-man. He doesn't have a very high ceiling. He will be lucky to become a Robidas type of player, a guy who can handle his own end despite size issues with limited offensive capability. I'm fine keeping him around to see if he can improve, but he's a much lower priority than the development of guys like Dillon, Oleksik, and Nemeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
He could have traded Ott instead of exending him. He could have traded Ryder for a combination of prospect/picks. He could have done any number of things differently. This year he still has Roy. Saying he's never had anything to sell is not entirely accurate.
The Ott deal wasn't a worry. Ott looked like he was on his way to being a regular 20 goal scorer. Sadly, he OT too big dr his britches and fell in love with being pesky.

Overall, though it jut seems like you are overstating how much differently a real rebuild would have looked over the past few years. This team made no effort to improve its roster from the time Nieuwy arrived until July of last year. It was forced into a default rebuild by attrition. Sadly, the farm was empty, so we saw a long list of bad players and retreads take up space while a newer crop of useful youth just now arrived.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
The Ott deal wasn't a worry. Ott looked like he was on his way to being a regular 20 goal scorer. Sadly, he OT too big dr his britches and fell in love with being pesky.

Overall, though it jut seems like you are overstating how much differently a real rebuild would have looked over the past few years. This team made no effort to improve its roster from the time Nieuwy arrived until July of last year. It was forced into a default rebuild by attrition. Sadly, the farm was empty, so we saw a long list of bad players and retreads take up space while a newer crop of useful youth just now arrived.
We're just going to disagree on this. Saying it looked like Ott was on his way to being a regular 20 goal scorer is what I'm talking about with unrealistic internal analysis. I have no doubt Nieuwendyk agreed with your assessment based on the fact that he signed him to a contract of a 20 goal scorer. Ott had a couple good years with inflated goal totals due to who he was playing with. His numbers speak more to Ribeiro's ability to elevate lower level talent than anything about Steve Ott.

In any case, at the 2010 deadline Ott would have been one of the more coveted players at the deadline. That bare prospect cupboard could have taken a little boost there, instead the team that played some of the worst hockey of any in the league post-Olympic break somehow thought they were on the path to the playoffs. It was unrealistic.

Yes, I'm harping on that one player/season but really the point is that there were numerous times that Nieuwendyk could have gone one way and he went the other. Every single time. Even this latest trade with Ryder is just baffling, unless you believe Erik Cole is the difference between making or not making the playoffs in 2013-14.

I've given Nieuwendyk the benefit of the doubt in a lot of situations. I'm over it because to me it's clear he doesn't know how to bring together long term and short term plans. He shoots from the hip and misses the target entirely as often as he gets close to the bulls-eye.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:46 AM
txomisc

morrow-eakin-smith in practice. he can really drag those two down

Old
03-02-2013, 11:55 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
morrow-eakin-smith in practice. he can really drag those two down
Full lines:

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

Stars lines in practice: Eriksson-Benn-Jagr; Roussel-Roy-cole; Morrow-Eakin-Smith; Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt
Seems they're seeing Cole as a RW. Rousell still in the top 6 is zzz but I like Smith-Eakin together, so its the best alternative if they're not going to play Fraser.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
That must really piss Cole off to have to listen to two French speakers on his line... hahaha.... and here I was saying it's a terrible joke, when it actually happens. Gully stop trolling me this is unacceptable.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Henderson33

Hopefully when Whitney gets back Roussel gets put on a line with Eakin & Smith, I thought those 3 played well together.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson33 View Post
Hopefully when Whitney gets back Roussel gets put on a line with Eakin & Smith, I thought those 3 played well together.
That's my hope ... but Morrow's got to go for that to happen. Morrow didn't work with Nystrom and Fiddler.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Why would they put Roussel in the top 6 when we have Fraser?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
BigG44

Klingberg may or may not be coming to Texas soon, but I imagine he'll be here by next spring at the latest. He struggled in Finland because of the language barrier and a bit of home sickness. He obviously speaks English so that clears up one problem.

His brother isn't doing so hot in the AHL for Winnipeg, and a few of their fans mentioned it wouldn't exactly be a terrible idea to potentially swap Scott Glennie (from Winnipeg) and Carl Klingberg.

It's an idea, but I guess it's probably doubtful with Glennie hurt.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Klingberg may or may not be coming to Texas soon, but I imagine he'll be here by next spring at the latest. He struggled in Finland because of the language barrier and a bit of home sickness. He obviously speaks English so that clears up one problem.

His brother isn't doing so hot in the AHL for Winnipeg, and a few of their fans mentioned it wouldn't exactly be a terrible idea to potentially swap Scott Glennie (from Winnipeg) and Carl Klingberg.

It's an idea, but I guess it's probably doubtful with Glennie hurt.
Interesting trade idea, I would be interested, not sure about Jets fans.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
That must really piss Cole off to have to listen to two French speakers on his line... hahaha.... and here I was saying it's a terrible joke, when it actually happens. Gully stop trolling me this is unacceptable.
I don't think Roy speaks French.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He does. He's mentioned it in several interviews, and Roussel said in an interview last game with Razor how helpful it was when the two speak French on the ice.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
He does. He's mentioned it in several interviews, and Roussel said in an interview last game with Razor how helpful it was when the two speak French on the ice.
I meant as a first language. He's definitely a native english speaker.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
BigG44

Benn fined:

Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Jamie Benn fined $10,000 for hit on Edmonton's Ryan Jones. Per NHL player safety.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I meant as a first language. He's definitely a native english speaker.
I don't know why this is a big deal to you ... but he grew up in French schools so he's bilingual. He's fluent in both English and French.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I don't know why this is a big deal to you ... but he grew up in French schools so he's bilingual. He's fluent in both English and French.
The original post made it seem like it's two Francophone players that Cole is playing with, it's not.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Satan
why did she go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heika on Ray Whitney
@brelyt He could skate with team Sunday. Then it's how he reacts. Guess is one week.
Could have The Wizard back in a week which rules.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
The original post made it seem like it's two Francophone players that Cole is playing with, it's not.
No not really. French speakers is an accurate description of Antoine Roussel and Derek Roy. It is funny though that Frozen somehow struck a nerve.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I mean come on, Cole just got traded from Montreal, where they riot when a non francophone coach gets hired in interim... and rumours about the whole kids at french schools thing... only to be put with two guys who Razor said speak French while playing

Its hilarious.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I mean come on, Cole just got traded from Montreal, where they riot when a non francophone coach gets hired in interim... and rumours about the whole kids at french schools thing... only to be put with two guys who Razor said speak French while playing

Its hilarious.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
BigG44

This is concerning:

Quote:
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Mike Komisarek gave #Leafs a list of 12 teams he'd accept a trade to but I'm told he'd pretty much accept a trade anywhere. Wants to play
He's been rumored to be available ... of course rumor isn't necessary when he's a healthy scratch every game ... but submitting a list is necessary to move the thing along because of a NTC.

Dallas needs D, but I don't see how Komi is going to help. He just seems like a guy they'd go for though ... big ... tough to play against. Some of the key words that describe quite a few of the players they've signed or traded for. To bad it's been a few years since he's been an effective NHLer.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
This is concerning:

He's been rumored to be available ... of course rumor isn't necessary when he's a healthy scratch every game ... but submitting a list is necessary to move the thing along because of a NTC.

Dallas needs D, but I don't see how Komi is going to help. He just seems like a guy they'd go for though ... big ... tough to play against. Some of the key words that describe quite a few of the players they've signed or traded for. To bad it's been a few years since he's been an effective NHLer.
I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I"m used to it. I think Komisaurus would get back on track here in big D. I'd welcome him to the team.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Yes, I'm harping on that one player/season but really the point is that there were numerous times that Nieuwendyk could have gone one way and he went the other. Every single time. Even this latest trade with Ryder is just baffling, unless you believe Erik Cole is the difference between making or not making the playoffs in 2013-14.

I've given Nieuwendyk the benefit of the doubt in a lot of situations. I'm over it because to me it's clear he doesn't know how to bring together long term and short term plans. He shoots from the hip and misses the target entirely as often as he gets close to the bulls-eye.
I'm not really sure Joe can be blamed for those seasons. Back then you really got the impression he was hamstrung in what he could do by the lenders, and they didn't want him to sell but try to push for the playoffs. It sucks, I know. But at least he always kept the draft picks to help restock the system.

And the Cole trade isn't really a move for the playoffs. Well it is, but it's also about the future to have a veteran beyond this season. So what if it's only two years? Young players still need veterans to look up to and help them learn how to be a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Why would they put Roussel in the top 6 when we have Fraser?
This is Gully we are talking about here. Do I even need to say anything else?

Old
03-02-2013, 02:54 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I"m used to it. I think Komisaurus would get back on track here in big D. I'd welcome him to the team.
His issues hasn't been a reoccurring injury or anything serious injury wise so it's not entirely out of the question he could still be a useful Top 6 D with a fresh start.

My main problem is the extra year on his contract. Even if he's a useful ... he's unnecessary with Aaron Rome. With Rome out so long, and the role they were playing him in, I could see them trying to replace him. If that's the goal, it's going to have to be a guy with an expiring contract.

If the goal is to legitimately get better though, and find a guy that potentially fits into the teams plans for more than 1 season ... to me that's not Komi ... they will look for a mobile D with some puck skills. I think that's GM Joe's primary focus with D ... puck moving ability. IMO, that's obviously why they didn't like Fistric.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
This is concerning:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got him. Not many options out there anyway. We're helping Toronto out by taking on Komisarek's salary and sparing them from using the compliance buyout. A 6th/7th rounder is what I'd offer. Anything more than a 4th rounder would be a travesty.

Closed Thread