HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just how good exactly is Gallagher going to be?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Players will take more and more runs at him and injuries will take their toll. On a team as squishy soft as Montreal a "Marchand" type player will get destroyed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Joe Cole

If Gallagher can last through ELC and bridge contract..and still play as aggressive as he does now, I would be surprised and give him a long term deal!

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:32 PM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
The thing about Gallagher is that he's always looking to get better. His conditioning and strength are awesome, and you can tell he's a very intelligent person. That being said, he'll always be small. The only difference is that there is no reason to think he can't adapt his game. Sure, he's going all out now, but IF he does start to realize that he can't play that game anymore, his skating, puck handling, shot and hockey IQ can allow him to succeed, albeit in a different way.

At this point, I'm expecting him to be a steady 20ish goalscorer who can create chances and provide a distraction on the ice. People tend to freak out about his size, but he will adapt in time, and I think whether he has to play a softer game is not an issue given his skill. Only time will tell, but I don't think he's in as much trouble as some want to claim.

StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Milhouse40

Gallagher could become great....but the habs will need to give him some big players to give him time and space!!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Plus, other teams fans HATE HIM.

It's so funny to read their boards when they whine about a player, it's usually him, lol.

=]
They sure do, I was coming in here to say this exact thing, even how funny it is to read.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I'm actually worried about him just staying alive. He had been concussed in junior, and in 14 NHL games managed to get his 2nd one already and was a split second away from getting killed by Phaneuf last game.

I love the kid but let's not put all our eggs in his basket cause I think his body will take a toll that will seriously affect his ability to achieve sustainable success.
I agree, I think this kid has a ton of upside, but he will have to prove himself every year, his size will always work against him and with the grit and intensity he brings to the game as well as concussion history, we all have to worry about his health.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Lshap

Comparing him to Ovechkin is wrong. Guys like Ovie, Lindros, etc hold onto the puck for longer and barrel through players over the entire surface of the ice, which kills the body eventually. Gallagher's danger spots are corners and the crease. That makes him a target, but for less time and not while traveling at high-speeds. He'll receive checks and shoves in front of the net and along the boards, but he's less likely to be killed at top speed by long aggressive rushes. Gallagher's a puck-carrying opportunist, with quick moves and a quick release. If he keeps his head up along the boards he'll be okay.

The most dangerous moment was when Phaneuf charged him mid-ice. That attempted dirty hit would've injured any player.

Last edited by Lshap: 03-01-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Shad

My only worry with him is he is the type that could be very prone to injury. Other than that I expect to see him go far.

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
AmeriHab

He's gonna be our Marchand without all the cheap shots or slew foots!

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
He's gonna be our Marchand without all the cheap shots or slew foots!
Or diving.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i'm not worried he'll get bigger and stronger - and smarter
Totally agree. He will adjust as he gains experience.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
MarkovsKnee

I don't think so because Gally is so small he doesn't dominate physically. He just has a tremendous work ethic. I'm impressed at how hard he works to get to the inside of D-men. He uses a low centre of gravity to keep on his feet and box bigger D-out. He's not easy to keep on the perimeter that's for sure.

He reminds me of a Pat Verbeek - another small and highly annoying forward to play against. Verbeek lived on the edge of the opposition crease.

I don't see why Gally can't keep it up. Just because he's small doesn't mean he's more prone to injuries than a bigger player. See both Lindros' and Primeau.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This isn't true at all. Ovechkin plays with a ton of heart.

What he lacks is brains. Ovechkin tries to do the same thing every time.

And to answer the question, yes with Gallagher's height and playing style, there is a concern he will get broken down easily. But he's also skilled and intelligent, so I think he will adapt to the situation.
So Gallagher can stop Ovechkin because Ovechkin keeps doing the same thing? Maybe he can also stop a freight train.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:39 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I have been pondering; watching Gallagher making quite the mark in our lineup. I love to see him play, always super energetic, always giving the extra edge physically..

And then, I got thinking about what Don Cherry said a few years back about Ovechkin; that players who dominate because they give out so much of themselves physically usually peak really young and then wane out. Do you think this might happen with Gallagher over the years?
If Galla gives us 6-7 years of this, that is 2-3 years in a cup window. I think the kid can have a 6 year career, maybe 7, and that's good.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
If Galla gives us 6-7 years of this, that is 2-3 years in a cup window. I think the kid can have a 6 year career, maybe 7, and that's good.
How ridiculous. The guy has as much chance as any other rookie to have at least a ten year career or more in this league. B.Gally is intelligent, courageous, and takes very good care of his body. If Deshairnais, as small and physically-punished as he is can last three years in this league, B.Gally can and will have a long and productive career. The guy is 5'9, only three inches shorter than 6 feet, he isn't 3'9.

Some of you are pulling nonsense out of your behind and making it look like cake, a lot of nonsensical posts in this thread.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
rockjngo

I see Gallagher as a young Koivu/Gionta.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Gallagher could become great....but the habs will need to give him some big players to give him time and space!!
Yep on both.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Or diving.
Or the nose

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Canada180

Forgive me if this has already been stated but he reallyl reminds me of Theo Fleury

Canada180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:14 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada180 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been stated but he reallyl reminds me of Theo Fleury
Theoren Fleury was a superstar. They aren't really comparable except for the stature. Gallagher isn't afraid of anyone, but Fleury was the type that looked for trouble. He was also faster and more skilled.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Andy

Gallagher will never make it. Can't fight and smaller than 6'5. Doubt he'll ever be as good as Patrick Bordeleau.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Ginu

He won't last long if he sticks with Desharnais. I'll tell you that much.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He won't last long if he sticks with Desharnais. I'll tell you that much.
This is hockey. Gallagher will get into 1v1 battles all game, every game, regardless of who he's playing with. Playing him with Galchenyuk or Eller won't scare opposing players away from a puck battle with Gallagher, and won't make them compete any less hard against him. Nobody will block for him or set pick plays. Every hockey player has to fight his own battles.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Bieber fever

Next MSL

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
This is hockey. Gallagher will get into 1v1 battles all game, every game, regardless of who he's playing with. Playing him with Galchenyuk or Eller won't scare opposing players away from a puck battle with Gallagher, and won't make them compete any less hard against him. Nobody will block for him or set pick plays. Every hockey player has to fight his own battles.
It would be less frequent, however, if he was on a line of skilled grinders while he remained the 3rd man in.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote