HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wonder how Shero looks at things?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Whale Mingo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the powerplay is one of our strengths. one of the best in the league. we are missing geno, so that obviously doesn't help. but seriously...it was one bad game
7 for 32 in the last 7 games. 2 of those goals were 5 on 3. Only 2 of those game were against teams that currently have a playoff spot.

5 of those teams are in the bottom half of the league in PK. 2 of them ranked 29th and 30th.

While not our biggest problem, if you look deep enough it is certainly not one of our strengths. Especially considering we are not tough at any position and teams aren't afraid to take penalties against us.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:56 AM
plaidchuck

It's a vicious cycle.. having sid and malkin on the team will prevent getting a high price winger

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
It's a vicious cycle.. having sid and malkin on the team will prevent getting a high price winger
High priced winger like Parise, who Shero went for in the summer? Apparently even Shero himself disagrees with your assessment.

Especially after moving Staal and dumping Michalek, money isn't the issue when it comes to acquiring and retaining a top line winger.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
These are the kind of things I had in mind when I started the thread. I just don't think Shero is sitting up there not paying attention, but when you see us go 0-3 with ZERO shots at one point on the Power Play against Carolina don't you have to start asking questions?

Carolina, mind you, is 23rd in the league on the PK.
I don't think good GM's make decisions over a power play in a single game.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's not either one of those two, but it might be time to overpay for someone to take a shot at winning. I'm of the belief that we will only have Crosby/Malkin/Neal/Fleury for so long and one of these years we need to take a shot at winning another Cup before that window closes and it's 1996 all over again.

Having said that, this may not be that year. Maybe it's next year or the year after, but there are only so many years that we will have the core of talent that we have. In the spring of 1992 had you told Pens fan it would be 16 years before you see another trip to the Stanley Cup Finals I believe you would have been laughed at in disbelief.

Windows close, time runs out.
Fully agree but it has to be the right player. Forget a 7 goal scorer from last year or a 38 year old player. Overpaying for a Ryan, Eberle or maybe even RoR, if the Avs don't want to keep that contract, makes sense because of the quality and age of the player.

If the Pens do go after an older guy I'm hoping that Shero at least inquires about Marleau and Elias.

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:46 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I have the opposite feeling. I think Shero's going to do something fairly big since he hasn't in a while and consequently has saved a lot of assets to spend. Not exactly sure what he has up his sleeve though.
Perry.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
7 for 32 in the last 7 games. 2 of those goals were 5 on 3. Only 2 of those game were against teams that currently have a playoff spot.

5 of those teams are in the bottom half of the league in PK. 2 of them ranked 29th and 30th.

While not our biggest problem, if you look deep enough it is certainly not one of our strengths. Especially considering we are not tough at any position and teams aren't afraid to take penalties against us.
so over a 7 game stretch, we have struggled. And in those 7 games -- while struggling-- we scored on 7 of 32 powerplays, giving that stretch a PP% of 21.8%. Good for 7th in the league.

That's a strength.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
so over a 7 game stretch, we have struggled. And in those 7 games -- while struggling-- we scored on 7 of 32 powerplays, giving that stretch a PP% of 21.8%. Good for 7th in the league.

That's a strength.
The PP has one significant weakness, Letang.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
SEALBound

Oh lord yes. Letang, despite being a very good player of ours, should be chained to the bench during a powerplay...or simply put on the 2nd unit.

Here's something that drives me nuts...this defense is the worst in the NHL, KHL, AHL, ECHL, QMJHL, OHL, WHL, and even some high school leagues...at keeping the puck in our own zone. It goes past the hash marks, 95% of the time it gets out of the zone.

No pressure from the points except on rare occasions.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Jag68Sid87

Shero has to see that the player(s) he NEEDS to acquire will clash with how his coach likes to play, and therefore would either make him look bad for acquiring them or make him look bad for standing pat.

I do believe our GM may be in a no-win situation as long as he continues to back Disco as his preferred coaching choice.

Somebody in another thread recently said about Shero, "go build another Nashville somewhere else." Well, he may be at a crossroads here now...

either he keeps Bylsma and we continue to look like a weird Nashville-looking team with Dolly Parton-like top-heavy star power, or he fires Bylsma and builds this team around his two superstars like he should have done in the first place.

I'm all in favor of bringing in a new GM if Shero refuses to do either (firing Bylsma or building around Sid and Geno).

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
gordie

I don't believe that Ray Shero will let himself sink with Bylsma. He's smart enough to know a 4th consecutive failure this Spring isn't just bad for the players but for the bottom line of his owners. I do believe he"ll accept Bylsma isn't working and look in a new direction for new coaching staff.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I'm all in favor of bringing in a new GM if Shero refuses to do either (firing Bylsma or building around Sid and Geno).
Minus a top-6 winger to play on Sid's line, isn't the team already built around them? I just don't think it's coached like it's built that way. I don't think we can possibly say what we have is a lack of talent. I'm afraid we have a team built to win 7-5 every night, yet it's coached to win 2-1.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
Yeah, nobody knew Neal was available.
This is true and something we should all keep in mind. Nobody was even looking at Neal except for the wishful guessers, so Poker Face Ray might shock us with a move no one even talked about.

Quote:
the powerplay is one of our strengths. one of the best in the league. we are missing geno, so that obviously doesn't help. but seriously...it was one bad game
Correction: our powerplay is one of our strengths when Geno runs it from the half-wall on the right side. Otherwise, mediocre (with Geno up top or left)... and without Geno, subpar. Geno does things for the PP even Sid doesn't do.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is true and something we should all keep in mind. Nobody was even looking at Neal except for the wishful guessers, so Poker Face Ray might shock us with a move no one even talked about.

Correction: our powerplay is one of our strengths when Geno runs it from the half-wall on the right side. Otherwise, mediocre (with Geno up top or left)... and without Geno, subpar. Geno does things for the PP even Sid doesn't do.
ok, but if you're Shero are you looking to bring in players based on Geno being in or out of the line-up? Obviously, in. So the powerplay really shouldn't be near the top of Shero's concerns when bringing in new players.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

That's a strength.
The PP has been good, but there are some concerning things about it still. Letang shouldn't be there, and the zone entries are still a ****fest.

It's going well, but it still can be improved.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think so too. Like I've been saying, he just has too many assets, too much cap space, and too much of a reason to not go after somebody. I really do think it will be somewhat of a failure if he can't find a long term solution at wing this season, and I think he may believe that as well.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
ok, but if you're Shero are you looking to bring in players based on Geno being in or out of the line-up? Obviously, in. So the powerplay really shouldn't be near the top of Shero's concerns when bringing in new players.
Well no matter what, we still need a right handed shot on that top PP, because clearly Letang just isn't the answer.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Whale Mingo

Maybe Ray is looking at things like the RCA dog does

Hopefully some are old enough to know what that is.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The PP has been good, but there are some concerning things about it still. Letang shouldn't be there, and the zone entries are still a ****fest.

It's going well, but it still can be improved.
never said it couldn't.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
never said it couldn't. just arguing against a guy who called it one of our weaknesses.
Yeah I know. Wasn't really quoting you to disagree, but to add to the discussion .

Old
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well no matter what, we still need a right handed shot on that top PP, because clearly Letang just isn't the answer.
would be nice, ya. But if we have a chance to get a guy who would help us 5v5 I wouldn't want us to turn it down because he's not right handed/. 5v5 is where we really need to focus our improvements. All else being equal, go with the righty. But if the best option 5v5 is a lefty, I'd take him over a lesser righty.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Fire Shero*

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is not pleased with Ray Shero anymore.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:41 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
would be nice, ya. But if we have a chance to get a guy who would help us 5v5 I wouldn't want us to turn it down because he's not right handed/. 5v5 is where we really need to focus our improvements. All else being equal, go with the righty. But if the best option 5v5 is a lefty, I'd take him over a lesser righty.
100% agree.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I agree what that. I don't want him to go find a PPQB. That would be third on the list. If he can do it, great but that's a tall order.

Quote:
I think so too. Like I've been saying, he just has too many assets, too much cap space, and too much of a reason to not go after somebody. I really do think it will be somewhat of a failure if he can't find a long term solution at wing this season, and I think he may believe that as well.
I like Shero a lot but I'm not going to fault anyone for critizing him if this spring and/or summer passes with no major updgrades in our weakest areas.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote