HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because...

Old
03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Hes also bubbling around a PPG despite not scoring. Not to mention the Kadri breakout is taking up writers time.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Duffman955

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Not hard to play good defense on the Bruins, especially with Bergeron and Chara also on the team.

Whenever I've seen Seguin, he avoids contact just as much as Kessel, doesn't really go into the corners, tries to deke out 5 defenders like Kadri used to do in juniors.

He has speed and a good shot.

Playmaking ---> Kessel
Snipe ---> Kessel.

Better player ---> Kessel

Better player on HFBoards? ---> Seguin.

If Seguin had 10 goals right now, Kessel would be ripped to shreds right now by the Sun and the Star.
This, every time I see seguin play, he either does nothing or is the beneficiary of right place right time. I have rarely ever seen him create offensive opportunities for himself.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Not hard to play good defense on the Bruins, especially with Bergeron and Chara also on the team.

Whenever I've seen Seguin, he avoids contact just as much as Kessel, doesn't really go into the corners, tries to deke out 5 defenders like Kadri used to do in juniors.

Playmaking ---> Kessel
Snipe ---> Kessel.

If Seguin had 10 goals right now, Kessel would be ripped to shreds right now by the Sun and the Star.
The day when Kessel was traded to the leafs, the exact words I've said was Mark my words, the second first rounder will make us. Till this day I still think if anyone that can come back and bite back in our ass it's going to be Dougie Hamilton. However so far it doesn't seem to the case, that could easily change.

03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
This, every time I see seguin play, he either does nothing or is the beneficiary of right place right time. I have rarely ever seen him create offensive opportunities for himself.
honestly can't imagine you without the duffman avatar lol

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:38 PM
sommervr

Quote:

Playmaking ---> Kessel
Snipe ---> Kessel.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+55+56#snip=f

(Hope the link works)

Seguin relative corsi at 14th in the league and top Bruin.

Kadri is the top leaf at 44th and he is having a great year

I didn't ever bother to look up Kessel

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
honestly can't imagine you without the duffman avatar lol
Ya I don't feel right without it.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Wrong, the main reason the media aren't crushing Kessel is that the team has been winning. When the team is winning, the media writes positive stories, when the team is losing they turn into vultures, that's just how it works.
This.

It's really that simple. I have to think even vultures like Simmons and Healy are sick of talking about the trade. Kadri is playing great, as are a few others, and the team is winning. Leaf nation is alive and ravenous for winning hockey and things to be positive about. It's best for garnering interest in their articles and opinions to feed the beast.

Let's not forget, without his sniping, Kessel has added a great new element to his game in play making. With his shot and skill it won't be long before it all comes together. It'd be nice to see another go-to shot for him. Maybe a one-time slapper for the PP. With passers like Lupul, Gardiner, and Reilly in the future, he could take advantage. But it's nice to see him helping JVR adjust.

I really think Jordan Staal would've been a great net presence for PK to open up his options on offense. A huge powerful skilled player going to the net would make the D stay back from Kessel a bit. Especially if Staal were sharing that space with JVR or Lupul as well.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

"If you win, nobody gives a ratís ass. Thatís a fact."

03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+55+56#snip=f

(Hope the link works)

Seguin relative corsi at 14th in the league and top Bruin.

Kadri is the top leaf at 44th and he is having a great year

I didn't ever bother to look up Kessel
Phil is representing 251st on Toronto's Top Line - Top PP unit - and 21+minutes/game

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
You haven't been watching enough then. He does have the label of being "johnny on the spot", which takes IQ to read the play as it develops. However, he's certainly had some flashes where he creates his own offense.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
jughead42

I don't see how ripping on Seguin is going to make anything better or different. Kessel is a good player, he's got one of the best speed/snipe skillsets in the league. His wrist shot is the best we've had since Wendel, and I can't think of anybody from teams past who can match his speed. He hasn't suddenly lost the ability to score, JVR is just doing most of the finishing for that line. You can see from his assists that he's still quite effective at creating offense. He's always been a bit streaky at times, so when he finds his range he'll make up ground quickly. I'm not too worried about him. Bringing up Seguin, Hamilton and Knight doesn't do any good, those guys are gone and they were never ours. Focus on what we have now, and the things we can do with what we have now. Do you think the Phoenix Coyote fans are pissing and moaning because we gave them a crummy backup goalie for the pick used to select Matt Frattin? I doubt it. It's done, move on, and don't let it be something that ends up running Kessel out of town when he's a reason for our success.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
You haven't been watching enough then. He does have the label of being "johnny on the spot", which does take IQ to read the play as it develops. However, he's certainly had some flashes where he creates his own offense.
Agreed, he's still letting his skill out. It'll be a while before we see his true skill IMO.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:57 PM
lLeafer

I feel like a jerk.. but I hope Seguin is a bust just so I can see the haters backtrack.. and then claim they always knew the Kessel trade was great

People basically anointed Seguin the next Gretzky solely for the purpose of hating on the Leafs.

lLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Phil is representing 251st on Toronto's Top Line - Top PP unit - and 21+minutes/game

If this was a big deal. Im sure the cancuks who apparently follow the score a lot, would've won the cup against the bruins.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:00 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
You haven't been watching enough then. He does have the label of being "johnny on the spot", which takes IQ to read the play as it develops. However, he's certainly had some flashes where he creates his own offense.
Hey, cool. Thatīs what the girls use to call me...

And I agree with your post. Some players get blamed for some strange reason to get easy points when in fact it is their skills that get them in those situations to get those points.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
lLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post

Trade kessel for Joakim Andersson!

lLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Well, of the 30+ games I have watched him play, I have seen flashes of great plays for about 5 games.

The rest of the time, he was invisible. Only time he gets points is when he has an easy tap in, or gets a secondary assist. He is the definition of right time right place, kind of like a better yet overglorified MacArthur.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:06 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Hes got 16 pts in 22 games. Good grief people hes not pointless. Thats why people arent on him. And besides the past week, Kessel has been getting good chances, has been driving the net, has been hitting posts. So his line went cold that past week. The scouting report on Kessel and JvR is that they are streaky. its not unexpected. I fully expect there to be a week where they fill the net left right and centre.

Oh ya, and this quote.

ďIf you win, nobody gives a ratís a--. Thatís a fact,Ē says Carlyle.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
My problem with Kessel is this: Bozak has terrible offensive instincts and JVR and Kessel is just not a good match. JVR has a good shot, goes to the net, but his passing and vision are average at best. That's why Kessel either goes in for the crappy shot, or looks to pass all the time because neither of his linemates can find him. Lupul could and he was the first one who could since Kessel got here.

And I disagree, CBC has been ALL over Kessel. I don't get it. Because of the "sniper" label? who cares?! If he's creating has many goals(assists) as he is scoring them, then it's just as good as having it the other way around.
Not sure what you are watching. CBC is all over Ovi with the caps losing but barely talks about Kessel this season like the OP mentioned. The defeciencies of kessel's game are glossed over by the fact the team is winning (and thanks to Kadri, JVR and Frattin scoring).

And BTW ovi has 8 goals to kessel 4 goals and look at all the grief he gets. Kessel is stinking up especially the last 3 games but the fact that Kadri is playing well deflects criticism from Kessel's poor play

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Duffman955

I think Bozak is a problem on the top line. He doesn't do much of anything to compliment JVR+kessel. Bozak wins faceoff, and then does nothing until the end of the shift.

Bozak has sub-par playmaking abilities, shot, net drive and unable to establish forecheck.

I would try Grabovski or kadri on the top line, maybe even put JVR at C and see what happens.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think Bozak is a problem on the top line. He doesn't do much of anything to compliment JVR+kessel. Bozak wins faceoff, and then does nothing until the end of the shift.

Bozak has sub-par playmaking abilities, shot, net drive and unable to establish forecheck.

I would try Grabovski or kadri on the top line, maybe even put JVR at C and see what happens.
Kadri is the one I'm vouching for but he still needs to play stronger defensively if he wants to be up in that line. I am all for bringing in the player slowly.

Bozak has lost a step after a torrid start, another thing is his finishing skill which is lacking for kessel playmaking.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Not sure what you are watching. CBC is all over Ovi with the caps losing but barely talks about Kessel this season like the OP mentioned. The defeciencies of kessel's game are glossed over by the fact the team is winning (and thanks to Kadri, JVR and Frattin scoring).

And BTW ovi has 8 goals to kessel 4 goals and look at all the grief he gets. Kessel is stinking up especially the last 3 games but the fact that Kadri is playing well deflects criticism from Kessel's poor play
Exactly. Plus Healy just said, "Sure Kessel scores goals, but look at Plekanec...". That too, Healy gave Kessel too much credit as Kessel really isn't scoring goals right now.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Hey, cool. Thatīs what the girls use to call me...

And I agree with your post. Some players get blamed for some strange reason to get easy points when in fact it is their skills that get them in those situations to get those points.
On the other hand there was John Leclair who just used to go in front of the net and Lindros used to practically bank shots off his head and made a star out of Leclair...I still don't think that's high hockey IQ.

Last edited by Tonka: 03-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Kibago

This topic is very true - Seguin's not playing like a star and the Leafs are winning so there's not much of a point in writing negative news about Kessel. The vultures will save those stories for if we go into a slump (and if we don't, hey, they'll be great if he gets a raise this summer!)

Last edited by Kibago: 03-02-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: forgot a key word - Seguin overall is certainly a star.
Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
"If you win, nobody gives a rat’s ass. That’s a fact."
That's easy to say. But let's say Leafs make the playoffs at 7th or 8th, Kessel has about 9 goals in 48 games and is the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer on the team...would you be satisfied with Kessel's production? That might be easy to say about a guy like Kulemin but when you're one the highest paid players on the team and supposed to be the best goal scorer, people will give a rat's ass because with more production people will say we could have been 4th or so with home ice in the playoffs.