HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wonder how Shero looks at things?

Old
03-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
Maybe Ray is looking at things like the RCA dog does

Hopefully some are old enough to know what that is.
good stuff. RCA Victor.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Minus a top-6 winger to play on Sid's line, isn't the team already built around them? I just don't think it's coached like it's built that way. I don't think we can possibly say what we have is a lack of talent. I'm afraid we have a team built to win 7-5 every night, yet it's coached to win 2-1.
Minus a top-6 winger for Sid? That's like saying, "hey, you're missing the engine but your Ferrari sure looks good."

We're built around Fleury. We have drafted defenseman after defenseman. We keep 8 D. We say we want 10 NHL-caliber D every year. When Fleury melted down, we spent more money for a better backup.

If we truly were built around Sid and Geno, we would be forward-heavy. We would never accept not having a 40-goal man on either player's line. We would always have all the elements of a killer power play at all times.

Most of all, we would not be playing a grinding game with two of the most exquisite hockey players on the planet. That right there is the definition of dumb.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Minus a top-6 winger for Sid? That's like saying, "hey, you're missing the engine but your Ferrari sure looks good."

We're built around Fleury. We have drafted defenseman after defenseman. We keep 8 D. We say we want 10 NHL-caliber D every year. When Fleury melted down, we spent more money for a better backup.

If we truly were built around Sid and Geno, we would be forward-heavy. We would never accept not having a 40-goal man on either player's line. We would always have all the elements of a killer power play at all times.

Most of all, we would not be playing a grinding game with two of the most exquisite hockey players on the planet. That right there is the definition of dumb.
I agree, mostly. I'm just not sure how much more talent up front we can expect. 29 other teams would love to have what we have on the top two lines. I also think 29 other teams wouldn't try to win 2-1 every night with what we have.

I guess I don't want to turn into a "fire the coach" guy, but hmmmm......

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
I agree, mostly. I'm just not sure how much more talent up front we can expect. 29 other teams would love to have what we have on the top two lines. I also think 29 other teams wouldn't try to win 2-1 every night with what we have.

I guess I don't want to turn into a "fire the coach" guy, but hmmmm......
Every other team would take our top two lines because of the centermen. Nobody wants what we're displaying on the wings.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Every other team would take our top two lines because of the centermen. Nobody wants what we're displaying on the wings.
Neal?

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:04 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
?

Neal is 2nd in goals, Kunitz is 9th in points among all players.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:42 PM
hiptanaka

Sometimes I just dont really get it with Shero. In Shero's first year, Therrien leads the team to the 4th biggest turnaround in NHL history. The next year, he takes them to the Stanley Cup Finals. The year after that, the team hits a rough stretch and Therrien gets the boot. Granted, I obviously won't complain how that worked out, how the team needed a coaching change, and how Bylsma was the right man for the job.

However, the difference in patience is startling. Bylsma helps the team win the cup (ok great) and wins the Jack Adams, but the team has also underperformed in the postseason the last 3 years and continues to demonstrate a severe deficiency in a any kind of structure/system and recurrent defensive lapses reminiscent of previous years and which have yet to be addressed. Yet there's no kind of pressure from Shero or any message sent. It's rather bizarre.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:48 PM
jerome garcia

i've always admired the red wings and wished we would adopt a similar style of play. is that system dependent on the players, or the coaching? just curious if we could pull it off with our current roster.

jerome garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
catdaddy
Return Of The King

If Shero is half as savvy as I believe he is, he's thinking that he's assembled players good enough to compete but not good enough to make a Cup run without a Parise (top 6 winger) and Suter (top 2 D) upgrade which he wasn't able to do in the offseason. He may also be concerned that his head coach appears to be headed down the same path as last season employing a system that has been exposed for its weaknesses and is slow to adjust. He may also notice that a player like Chris Letang appears to be either stalled in his development or even regressing in his discipline and that his prized young defensemen, Depres and Bartuzzo are being held back under this coaching staff.

If he is thinking like this then he may try the upgrade first and see if Bylsma can use those pieces to get the team going properly in the short term. If it doesn't happen quickly then Bylsma goes. Or... he may decide to replace Bylsma first, see how the team responds, get a better idea of what he needs and who is expendable and make the deals he has wanted to make for the Cup run.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote