HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Eager to the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Armstrong9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
he and Colby will be excellent team-mates

best of friends.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Like someone said earlier, we need a dman not a forward. We have White, Prust and Moen who can fight on offence. We only have Bouillon who can actually fight on D and he's pretty small so I would of liked to go for a John Erskine type of player, before he was re-signed obviously. Any Names?I would say Sheldon Brookbank but he's only 6'1 200.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
On topic, of course there is no way that names like Eller or Thrower should be mentioned in this thread unless the return is much more than Eager.

I also don't like the fact that he stopped fighting (or so it seems) as that would be one of the main reasons to acquire him if you're the Habs.

Perhaps make the deal a bit bigger, while staying away from the traditional blockbuster? What's the scoop with Theo Peckham these days? Injured?

Peckham and Eager might bring more to the Oilers...
The scoop on Theo Peckham is he is someone believed to be on the outs in the organization came into camp a little bit out of shape, was rumoured to be way out of shape but apparently physical testing indicated just a bit below where he was last year. Admitted to losing his focus during the lock-out, he also used to be a pretty decent fighter, but after Nathan Horton rung his bell he's not really much of a fighter anymore either. He's played all of twice this year and looked good in both showings, he always plays a very physical brand of hockey and seems to find his way into every scrum. Has given inconsistent performances when we play him on a regular basis, the inconsistencies are not his physical game which he always brings but at times is more prone to poor puck management or taking stupid penalties. Can be very hot headed at times, will always stick up for his teammates and will sometimes go over the edge in the process.

He is a capable depth defender but not someone who should be playing every night, he is someone best to slot in for when playing a particularly tough physical match-up or can fill in on for injury on a short term basis. He plays his best when he is phyisical and plays a simple game and keeps the puck on his stick for a minimal amount of time. If you want a comparable I'd say Sean Brown is a good one who you might be more familiar with, I thought his upside would be a little higher, but his development has been a bit up and down so I'm not sure if he is going to end up a better version of Sean Brown or a worse one.

IMO he is currently Edmonton's 6th best defenseman but Fistric has pretty much taken his job on the team and with neither Fistric or Peckham being great puck-movers they don't make the best pairing, so Corey Potter is usually slotted ahead of him. We can use the depth on defense that he provides, and would much rather get rid of Whitney first if at all possible.

Last edited by Burnt Biscuits: 03-02-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
The scoop on Theo Peckham is he is someone believed to be on the outs in the organization came into camp a little bit out of shape, was rumoured to be way out of shape but apparently physical testing indicated just a bit below where he was last year. Admitted to losing his focus during the lock-out, he also used to be a pretty decent fighter, but after Nathan Horton rung his bell he's not really much of a fighter anymore either. He's played all of twice this year and looked good in both showings, he always plays a very physical brand of hockey and seems to find his way into every scrum. Has given inconsistent performances when we play him on a regular basis, the inconsistencies are not his physical game which he always brings but at times is more prone to poor puck management or taking stupid penalties. Can be very hot headed at times, will always stick up for his teammates and will sometimes go over the edge in the process.

He is a capable depth defender but not someone who should be playing every night, he is someone best to slot in for when playing a particularly tough physical match-up or can fill in on for injury on a short term basis. He plays his best when he is phyisical and plays a simple game and keeps the puck on his stick for a minimal amount of time. If you want a comparable I'd say Sean Brown is a good one who you might be more familiar with, I thought his upside would be a little higher, but his development has been a bit up and down so I'm not sure if he is going to end up a better version of Sean Brown or a worse one.
Please supply link.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Please supply link.
Are you serious? Do you live in Edmonton do you read the newspaper or listen to the radio? It was pretty clear if you read between the lines the organization wasn't super happy with the kind of shape he came into camp with. He's played all of 2 games, some of that due to a hip-flexor injury but the majority of the time he has been a healthy scratch. Organizations rarely come right out and say we are looking to trade player A, his role has been replaced with a superior player in Fistric, if a team comes asking he is someone who is available.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:30 PM
danyhabsfan

Peckham for Weber

Old
03-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
We are talking about the Oilers here. Not a surprised at all.
Looks at name and avatar.. how ironic.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:35 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
As an Oilers fan, I have mixed feelings on Eager.

His hits/minute is insane. I doubt it would cost much to get him, though.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Dharvey33

Thrower isn't going anywhere specially for a scrub like Eager.

Moen for Eager i'd do it but it would hurt the habs defensively Moen is a better player.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Are you serious? Do you live in Edmonton do you read the newspaper or listen to the radio? It was pretty clear if you read between the lines the organization wasn't super happy with the kind of shape he came into camp with. He's played all of 2 games, some of that due to a hip-flexor injury but the majority of the time he has been a healthy scratch. Organizations rarely come right out and say we are looking to trade player A, his role has been replaced with a superior player in Fistric, if a team comes asking he is someone who is available.
I've heard a lot of hear say from media people, but never from the team, like I said, please supply a link. If you knew the Oilers, you would know getting information out of them is like getting blood out of a stone.

You made a claim, now back it up with proof.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I actually like eager. Go get toughness with your 4th elsewhere.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Thrower buys a lot more than Eager. A lot more. Eager isn't that good of a fighter, and doesn't help the Habs enough to pull the trigger.

Eager isn't worth a bluechip prospect.
So I'm overrating Eager, but Thrower is a bluechip prospect??? I guess every team has 5-10 bluechipper's then.

Steep price? Yes, but considering we have size and grit issues of our own AND the guy can actually play a regular shift without being a liability AND he's under contract next year, why should we give him up for anything less?

Old
03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
greenstickytoes

nahh if we were to go get a tough guy with grit it would be someone like
Raffi Torres. or else we would just bring up Zack Stortini from the bulldogs.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
That would not be a good idea.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So I'm overrating Eager, but Thrower is a bluechip prospect??? I guess every team has 5-10 bluechipper's then.

Steep price? Yes, but considering we have size and grit issues of our own AND the guy can actually play a regular shift without being a liability AND he's under contract next year, why should we give him up for anything less?
Thrower is a good prospect and have better value then a fighter that don't fight and who suck at it.......

Old
03-02-2013, 03:32 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
Raffi Torres isn't a tough guy and don't bring Stotini in the discussion lol

Old
03-02-2013, 03:33 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's becoming quite obvious that some teams like the Leafs are targeting Prust in an attempt to remove the Habs' toughness. He needs help in that department.

What would the Oilers want from the Habs for Eager?
When healthy Eager couldn't crack the Habs roster. That is no exaggeration nor a sleight to Oiler fans. Its the truth. The only player I would trade is nokelainen. Ie. A wasted roster spot for another.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Thrower is a good prospect and have better value then a fighter that don't fight and who suck at it.......
Ok, then we'll give you Reider for Prust. Then you guys can add another blue-chipper to the pool

Old
03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Ok, then we'll give you Reider for Prust. Then you guys can add another blue-chipper to the pool
Prust is so far above Eager it is not even close to a comparable offer. Thrower is better than Reider, too.

No team is going to overpay for a 4th line fighter who doesn't fight anymore. Eager is not the same player he used to be. Prust is way better as both a player and a fighter. So, "no", a team will not have to overpay to get Eager. If anything, Eager will get waived before anyone overpays for him.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
I've heard a lot of hear say from media people, but never from the team, like I said, please supply a link. If you knew the Oilers, you would know getting information out of them is like getting blood out of a stone.

Did you see where I typed it is believed he is on the outs, hardly a statement of fact. So I don't see why you would be looking for one, unless a team has a total falling out with a player, the player asks for a trade, or it is known the player and team are unable to reach a contract extension and want to get something of value prior to contact expiry they would never openly come out and say they are trying to trade the player. This is all just common sense. It is well known to anyone who follows the team there are certain members of the media who are close to the team and do have some inside info which they do hint at how the org feels on a player, who is available, and who we might be interested in. Also they float trial balloons through the media to see how the fanbase might react to certain ideas. I've seen you on the Oiler board often enough that none of this should come as a surprise to you or you are just being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

He clearly said "believed", and if you listen to the radio, it has been discussed that most experts "believe" that Fistric was brought in because the organization wasn't happy with Peckham. Hard to link to a radio discussion smart guy. Especially when it was "beliefs" being discussed, not info from the organization itself. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon...

Old
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Eager isn't a fighter. He's a hitter. He's an agitator. But he's not a fighter. And he's actually a pretty decent player.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:04 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
When healthy Eager couldn't crack the Habs roster. That is no exaggeration nor a sleight to Oiler fans. Its the truth. The only player I would trade is nokelainen. Ie. A wasted roster spot for another.
Sounds like a lot of guys here haven't watched Eager play much. He's fast, hits hard, has reduced the number of dumb penalties he takes, he pisses off the other team. Basically, he's a very good bottom six agitator.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:06 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Prust is so far above Eager it is not even close to a comparable offer. Thrower is better than Reider, too.

No team is going to overpay for a 4th line fighter who doesn't fight anymore. Eager is not the same player he used to be. Prust is way better as both a player and a fighter. So, "no", a team will not have to overpay to get Eager. If anything, Eager will get waived before anyone overpays for him.
Eager has played very well this year. He won't be waived unless the Oil manage to pick up three more physical wingers. He's being severely underrated in this thread.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:07 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Eager isn't a fighter. He's a hitter. He's an agitator. But he's not a fighter. And he's actually a pretty decent player.
he's now a agitator because he finally found that he couldn't drop the gloves.

Closed Thread